BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Flower ● 10 years on
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post Sep 27 2022, 01:12 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

25 September 2012 saw the release of 'Flower', the lead single from Kylie's orchestral greatest hits album 'The Abbey Road Sessions'. The song was originally written for 2007's 'X' but was left off the final tracking list, although did feature on the set list of the tour the following year. Lyrically, 'Flower' deals with motherhood and the desire to start a family, described by Kylie as "a love song to the child I may or may not ever have". The music video was directed by Kylie herself as she had a vision of how she wanted to illustrate the song. Chart rules at the time made the song ineligible to chart as it was made available as a free download with the album pre-order, however it did eventually chart at #96 when the album was released.

10 years on, what are your thoughts and memories of 'Flower'?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Sep 27 2022, 01:12 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Idol

+Quote Post
___∆___
post Sep 27 2022, 01:57 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 3,155

Such a beautiful track that is massively overlooked.

Love that we got it as a single though and got the full physical release for it too wub.gif

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post Sep 27 2022, 04:16 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(___∆___ @ Sep 27 2022, 02:57 PM) *
Such a beautiful track that is massively overlooked.

Love that we got it as a single though and got the full physical release for it too wub.gif

I so agree, its such a gorgeous song and her live performance at the BBC proms was so great.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Sep 27 2022, 06:27 PM
Post #5
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

Not something I go back to all that often, but it's a beautiful song. Really touching and poignant knowing it's about the child she wishes she could've had. cry.gif

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Sep 27 2022, 08:00 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Idol

This was an easy highlight from The Abbey Road Sessions for me! A dreamy, delicate song sung beautifully by Kylie, the message is so touching, especially within the context of her cancer recovery. She nails it live too, sounds just like the studio version.

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post Sep 27 2022, 10:56 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Idol
   No Gallery Pics

It was easily the standout from abbey roads and i so agree the message was very touching and also emotional and she totally nails it live. As i said in other posts i was slightly disappointed when it got featured in an episode of Emmerdale that it didnt get a bigger chart boost as i really feel it was a song that deserved fat more success than it got but i was happy to managed top 100. Flower showcases how well Kylie can do ballads and it also highlights many of her live vocal strengths.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Sep 28 2022, 11:30 AM
Post #8
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Feel_The_Fever @ Sep 27 2022, 11:56 PM) *
As i said in other posts i was slightly disappointed when it got featured in an episode of Emmerdale that it didnt get a bigger chart boost as i really feel it was a song that deserved far more success than it got but i was happy to managed top 100.

I've found the scene in question that used 'Flower', I had forgotten just how prominently it was used!

Not sure how high it got but I posted this in the iTunes thread:

Kylie at #62 with 'Flower' after being prominently used in last night's Emmerdale.

I suppose soaps don't usually have much effect on songs charting other than fleeting appearances on iTunes, although I do remember 'Yours' by Ella Henderson taking off partly due to its heavy use in Hollyoaks.

+Quote Post
___∆___
post Sep 28 2022, 04:02 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend

Such a shame the Emmerdale use didn’t result in a bigger boost - such a beautiful song for the scene.

It’s shocking it only reached #96 considering it was the lead song to the new project plus we had CD singles and picture discs.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Sep 28 2022, 05:24 PM
Post #10
Break the tension
Member No.: 51

QUOTE(___∆___ @ Sep 28 2022, 05:02 PM) *
Such a shame the Emmerdale use didn’t result in a bigger boost - such a beautiful song for the scene.

It’s shocking it only reached #96 considering it was the lead song to the new project plus we had CD singles and picture discs.

At the time I was surprised it even charted at all, it was kind of just put out there with no buzz or fanfare and seemed almost like a silent release.

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post Sep 28 2022, 10:45 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Idol
   No Gallery Pics

I was surprised it charted in the end as it had started to look like it wouldn't happen. Flower while not a huge hit by any means is an example of sometimes weaker songs chart higher but diesnt make them a better song.

+Quote Post
aeroco
post Sep 29 2022, 01:33 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 2,392
   No Gallery Pics

Should have charted higher, probably would have been top 75 without the chart rule thing, but TARS fared much better on the album chart than I expected so it did its job….she should have sung Flower again on one of her big promo slots but went for the hits instead. Generally, it was a good promo campaign.

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post Sep 30 2022, 01:38 AM
Post #13
BuzzJack Idol
   No Gallery Pics

It was a good promo campaign but I agree that it would have bern nice if flower was promo more when she was on big shows but the album dud well based on doing the hits.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Sep 30 2022, 12:55 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(___∆___ @ Sep 28 2022, 05:02 PM) *

Interestingly didn't reach the Top 100 physical chart though... thinking.gif

+Quote Post
___∆___
post Sep 30 2022, 12:57 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Liam.k. @ Sep 30 2022, 01:55 PM) *
Interestingly didn't reach the Top 100 physical chart though... thinking.gif

blink.gif

Something was definitely up with that then - especially as there were 2 formats and neither was particularly limited and they can still be picked up relatively cheaply now.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Sep 30 2022, 01:02 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(aeroco @ Sep 29 2022, 02:33 PM) *
Should have charted higher, probably would have been top 75 without the chart rule thing, but TARS fared much better on the album chart than I expected so it did its job….she should have sung Flower again on one of her big promo slots but went for the hits instead. Generally, it was a good promo campaign.

I get the reasoning behind performing the hits in terms of promoting the album, but it would have been nice if 'Flower' got performed. I believe these were the songs performed (in the UK):

Better the Devil You Know (Alan Carr)
Can't Get You Out of My Head (X Factor, Nobel Peace Prize)
Come Into My World (Alan Carr)
Never Too Late (Jonathan Ross)
On a Night Like This (Royal Variety, Nobel Peace Prize)
The Locomotion (Strictly Come Dancing)

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Oct 1 2022, 01:34 AM
Post #17
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

A beautiful number with great vocals, a stunning piano intro and a gorgeous orchestral sound. But its not one of my faves from Kylie, she's had far better ballads than this such as 'Put Yourself In My Place' & 'Dangerous Game' (off the top of my head), the song works in context of the "Abbey Road Sessions", but not as an effective single. Overall its fine, just fine.

+Quote Post
pippa
post Oct 1 2022, 11:43 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

Flower is stunning.

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Oct 2 2022, 08:40 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

One of her best tracks and easily her best ballad a stunningly beautiful song! I’m not a fan of the abbey road album but utterly adore this song on it.

+Quote Post
pippa
post Oct 2 2022, 08:43 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

Flower was the shining light of the Abbey Roads album.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:51 AM