BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
51 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Living For The Weekend - Fifth Album Discussion (Part 2), Released 14th October | Peak #10
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Lew
post Oct 10 2013, 07:42 PM
Post #1
we'll run where lights won't chase us.
Group: Members
Member No.: 8,567
   No Gallery Pics

Since the other thread had reached 50 pages, thought I'd make a new one!

Living For The Weekend

1. What About Us (feat. Sean Paul)
2. Disco Love
3. Gentleman
4. Leave A Light On
5. Not Giving Up
6. Lease My Love
7. 30 Days
8. Anywhere With You
9. Problem With Love
10. You Don't Have The Right
11. Dont Let Me Dance Alone
12. Somebody Else's Life

Release Dates
October 11 - New Zealand, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Switzerland, Ireland, Czech Republic, Netherlands, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa.
October 14 - UK
October 16 - Japan
October 18 - Australia
October 22 - US and Canada
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vivek
post Oct 10 2013, 08:18 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 15,871
   No Gallery Pics

#54 in Ireland

+Quote Post
Mr. C. Joel
post Oct 10 2013, 09:05 PM
Post #3
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Member No.: 7,475

Does anyone know if LFTW has a TV advert???

+Quote Post
Steve D
post Oct 10 2013, 09:06 PM
Post #4
Is a Moderator :o
Member No.: 7,757

Could someone send me a link please?

+Quote Post
Hurricane
post Oct 10 2013, 09:37 PM
Post #5
get me started, hot like fire
Member No.: 17,262
   No Gallery Pics

01. What About Us 11/10
02. Disco Love 10/10
03. Gentleman 10/10
04. Leave A Light On 7.5/10
05. Not Giving Up 11/10
06. Lease My Love 11/10
07. 30 Days 7/10
08. Anywhere With You 8/10
09. Problem With Love 8.5/10
10. You Don't Have The Right 9/10
11. Dont Let Me Dance Alone 9/10
12. Somebody Else's Life 6/10
............Average : 9/10 heart.gif

Standouts Vocals
......Frankie : Not Giving Up, You Don't Have The Right
......Vanessa : Disco Love, Gentleman, Problem With Love, You Don't Have The Right
......Rochelle : What About Us, Leave A Light On, Not Giving Up, Lease My Love, 30 Days, Problem With Love, You Don't Have The Right, Somebody Else's Life
......Una : Leave A Light On, Problem With Love, You Don't Have The Right, Somebody Else's Life
......Mollie : Disco Love, Not Giving Up, Leave A Light On, Lease My Love, You Don't Have The Right, Don't Let Me Dance Alone
............Standout vocalists : ROCHELLE and Mollie

+Quote Post
April
post Oct 10 2013, 09:58 PM
Post #6
changed the game with that digital drop
Member No.: 11,905

Rochelle sounds incredible on this album! Solo album please! wub.gif

Anyway my ranking...

01. What About Us 11/10
02. Disco Love 10/10
03. Gentleman 01/10 sick2.gif
04. Leave A Light On 09/10
05. Not Giving Up 11/10 wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
06. Lease My Love 10/10
07. 30 Days 07/10
08. Anywhere With You 08/10
09. Problem With Love 05/10
10. You Don't Have The Right 05/10
11. Dont Let Me Dance Alone 06/10
12. Somebody Else's Life 07/10
13. Wildfire 10/10

This post has been edited by APRIL J: Oct 10 2013, 10:16 PM

+Quote Post
Neil
post Oct 10 2013, 10:04 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 9,016
   No Gallery Pics

Who's the random uncredited rent a rapper in Anywhere With You?

+Quote Post
Hurricane
post Oct 10 2013, 10:28 PM
Post #8
get me started, hot like fire
Member No.: 17,262
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Neil @ Oct 10 2013, 10:04 PM) *
Who's the random uncredited rent a rapper in Anywhere With You?

Jordan, Mollie's boyfriend and one of the main producer of the album.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 11 2013, 12:44 AM
Post #9
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

I like it. Don't love it. It's hard to differentiate the tracks a little for me, but that's only one listen through! 'Not Giving Up' is the clear highlight though, isn't it? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
(Zach)
post Oct 11 2013, 01:27 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 18,512

It's pretty apparent that Not Giving Up is the most liked song and Somebody Else's Life is the least liked. I'm glad the singles are actually the best songs on the album for once. Excluding Not Giving Up and Leave A Light On of course, both of which will probably be released.

+Quote Post
holler
post Oct 11 2013, 02:13 AM
Post #11
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 18,996
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(LeeWallacee @ Oct 10 2013, 09:16 PM) *
11/10 What About Us [This really is their best single ever!]
10/10 Disco Love [I'm sure if 'Disco Love' had flopped it would be called awful by everyone on here
08/10 Gentleman [Shouldn't have been a single, but it's still a fab track regardless]
10/10 Leave A Light On
10/10 Not GivingUp wub.gif [Should have been singke two]
9.5/10 Lease My Love [I don't think it would do as well as a single as Leave A Light On
8.5/10 30 Days [Fantastic Pop Tune]
9.0/10 Anywhere With You wub.gif
7.5/10 Problem With Love Is
9.5/10 You Don't Have The Right [The Last Call of this album]
8.5/10 Don't Let Me Dance Alone
6.0/10 Somebody Else's Life [BURN]

Lee's review for Living For The Weekend is 9/10. The album is honestly much better than I thought it would, It would be criminal if this flopped.

My ranking would be almost similar to Lee, except - Somebody Else's life, would be somewhere around 7.5

+Quote Post
Dane
post Oct 11 2013, 02:27 AM
Post #12
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 10,281
   No Gallery Pics

Number 5 and 41 in Ireland! wub.gif

+Quote Post
JulianNial
post Oct 11 2013, 04:07 AM
Post #13
Julian Nial
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 18,454
   No Gallery Pics

When I'm drunk and thinking of my ex, You Don't Have The Right and My Heart Takes Over are my two favourite tracks ever!!

+Quote Post
2ndAdventure
post Oct 11 2013, 10:35 AM
Post #14
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 10,180
   No Gallery Pics

Leave A Light On
First impressions: 7/10
Initial judgement based on preview: 5/10

This has exceeded my initial thoughts based upon the preview. At first, it sounded like a 'Here Standing' part 2, a song that I cannot stand. I enjoy this more than Here Standing as it feels like it goes more places. The structure towards the end is beautiful and does create a lot of emotion.

Will it do well as a single? Maybe. Is it boring? Yes. Will it be a signature Saturdays single? No.

Not Giving Up
First impressions: 9/10
Initial judgement based on preview: 10/10

One of the Saturdays best tracks, ever. It's fun, it's catchy, it's signature Saturdays.. Saturdays at their best! A worthy follow-up to 2011's 'All Fired Up' for sure. The chorus is captivating with a diverse mix of vocals from the girls. Again, like 'Leave a Light On', this track has direction and the momentum is fabulous. My only niggle? The last part post Frankie's verse. A few more lyrics could have been over-layed with Rochelle's "whoah oh ah" whith a bigger croshending vocal before falling back into the explosive chorus. But most of all.. where the hell did Vanessa's ad-libs go?! Why are they still on the cutting-room floor?! That would have closed the track of nicely and gave it some final spice.

Will it do well as a single? Yes. Is it boring? No. Will it be a signature Saturdays single? Yes.

Lease My Love
First impressions: 10/10
Initial judgement based on preview: 10/10

Like 'Not Giving Up', one of the best tracks they've put their name to. Working with Darkchild has done them wonders. It's Saturdays as we've not heard them before. What I like the most is because we've not heard them like this before, it sets it apart so much from the magority of their material. I'd say it's on another level. This and 'What About Us' go hand-in-hand together which is very good. They should deffinately carry this on for their next LP.

Will it do well as a single? Maybe. Is it boring? No. Will it be a signature Saturdays single? Maybe.

Anywhere With You
First impressions: 6/10
Initial judgement based on preview: 4/10

My first thoughts based on the preview were that this song was pretty bad - I most disliked the cringe-worthy, child-like lyrics ("take me sky high were jumping on a plane, don't care where were land to me it's all the same" sick2.gif ). The rap from the un-credited person does add a certain element to the track to make it sound less-boring and samey. I still find the song very sickly, yet ritch in texture. I find it remenicent of their previous material on Headlines which is a nice throw-back. But hopefully it will stay at throw-back and it will never be taken any further.

Will it do well as a single? No. Is it boring? Maybe. Will it be a signature Saturdays single? No.

Problem With Love
First impressions: 8/10
Initial judgement based on preview: 7/10

It's 'Firecedays'. Mollie rapping about cars with tinted windows, so 2000's, love it. This, What About Us and Lease My Love sit very nicely with each other. Maybe they should have saved these (or saved the rest) for another LP. The pictching of Una's voice is a bit dodgy, reminds me of her vocals from Chasing Lights actually. I love how it falls back into the final chorus, nice build up of momentum.

Will it do well as a single? No. Is it boring? No. Will it be a signature Saturdays single? No.

You Don't Have The Right
Initial judgement based on preview: 5/10

Some gorgeous vocals, on an ettempt to better previous tracks 'Fall' and 'Last Call', which in my opinion will not be beaten. Chasing-Lights-Una is here again; why are her vocals so deep? She sounds nothing like that. Makes it feel more like she's just saying the lyrics rather than just singing them. I like how it builds up to some flattering vocals from Vanessa and Rochelle, I just find the chorus so flat. It's just too mono-tone. On that note (pardon the pun) a nice 6/10 for them. I think they have missed the mark a little with this, being the 'signature' balad of the album. This is normally where they seem the most comfortable in balad territory. The song-writing is there, the production is sort of there, and the melody is sort of there.

Will it do well as a single? No. Is it boring? Yes. Will it be a signature Saturdays single? No.

Don't Let Me Dance Alone
First impressions: 7/10
Initial judgement based on preview: 6/10

Tongue-in-cheek, shoes and dresses a'plenty = typical Saturdays. I like how it's very fun, in your face, bolshy and lively. Lyrical content to one side, this is fun-Saturdays! Very Headlines-esque. I would however that this would have been better off a b-side, on the condition that time is re-written and 'Wildfire' was never ever a b-side.

Will it do well as a single? No. Is it boring? No. Will it be a signature Saturdays single? No.

Somebody Else's Life
Initial judgement based on preview: 6/10

The first 20-odd seconds are very decieving. It starts off sounding like a Rihanna-esque follow-up to 'We Found Love' and then this awful boring beat comes in. I love the melody of the chorus though, very infectious, just a shame about the effects smothered over the vocals and the poor production.

Will it do well as a single? No. Is it boring? Yes. Will it be a signature Saturdays single? No.

Final Thoughts

The album as a whole is a nice package of fluffy pop sprinkled with some r'n'b tinged tracks. Not one of my favorite collections from them, but it contains some of my favorite tracks recorded by them. I do feel a bit lost with the record at times as one minute I feel like "this is classic Saturdays", then the next "Trying to re-create previous sounds" and the next "amazing amazing amazing, they need to press on with this sound for the next LP". I'd go as far to say it feels like an album to test the waters. The record in my mind should have been divided in to two. You've got tracks like 'Disco Love' in one hand, and then 'Problem With Love' in the other. They just don't sit well. I like that they're showing diversity but at the same time, it feels like the material could have either been refined more or saved for a future LP. They did so much recording since the '30 Days' and there's only a handful of quality tracks here which has surprised me.

What I think the album should have sounded like:

01. What About Us
02. Lease My Love
03. Do What You Want With Me
04. Wildfire
05. Problem With Love
06. For Myself
07. Gentlemen
08. Move On U
09. Last Call

Something along those lines. Or..

01. Not Giving Up
02. Disco Love
03. 30 Days
04. Higher
05. Anywhere With You
06. Karma
07. Leave A Light On
08. I Say OK
09. Don't Let Me Dance Alone

Something alone these lines.

'On Your Radar' was more cohesive in terms of sound, but 'Living For The Weekend' has more smashes. Overall I'd give it a 6.5-7/10.

+Quote Post
Lew
post Oct 11 2013, 01:53 PM
Post #15
we'll run where lights won't chase us.
Member No.: 8,567
   No Gallery Pics

Loving 'Lease My Love' but I really don't think it would work as a single! Leave A Light On and Not Giving Up would be the better choices probably. If they are going to release 'Leave My Light On' do it in January, look how well Issues and Ego done then.

+Quote Post
April
post Oct 11 2013, 03:54 PM
Post #16
changed the game with that digital drop
Member No.: 11,905

Sweat The Small Stuff is back on Tuesday and Rochelle is now team captain rather than regular panellist! Hopefully she drops in a mention about the album release, or they might somehow perform a clip of the song like Stooshe did last series!

+Quote Post
Billy.
post Oct 11 2013, 08:18 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 10,095
   No Gallery Pics

So gutted at how much I'm not liking this. There aren't any major URGH tracks like there were in Wordshaker, but there aren't any major standouts either. Even Not Giving Up & Lease My Love are throwaway at best. Don't mean to be a party pooper, but I definitely think it's their weakest album sad.gif

+Quote Post
JSG
post Oct 11 2013, 10:27 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 18,473

I've been listening to this all night and I've changed my opinion on some of the songs. Here's my new rate smile.gif
Heres my wee review Ranked best to worst!!
----------
Disco Love
- 10/10 This to me is the best song on the Album and the best song they've ever done. It's obviously a highlight on the album (-I.e - You guys giving it almost universal 10's) and the public seem to really like it!!
~~~
Not Giving Up - 10/10 (was 9/10) I could not stand this song based on the previews and was ready to completely ignore it, but my gosh, it is rather good isn't it. I listened to this on repeat for about half an hour cause after the first listen I couldn't turn it off. This needs to be the next single!!! This I think would be the next #1!! and the only reason I can think of that they didn't release it is because they are saving it to keep the album afloat!
~~~
Don't Let Me Dance Alone - 10/10 (was 9/10) Another throwback to the Wordshaker era for me and defo one of the stronger tracks on the Album. This would do well as the 6th or 7th single.
~~~
Lease My Love - 10/10 Defo one of the better tracks on the Album. They should really consider releasing this before or after 'Not Giving Up'. That chorus really is just amazing!!
~~~
Anywhere With You - 10/10 This throws me back to their Wordshaker days (I.e - Lose Control/Open Up). It's the opening of the song that really draws me to it though. It's really catchy, but does sound slightly like filler. Maybe this should have replaced Wildfire as the b-side?
~~~
What About Us - 9/10 At the time, during summer, I really loved this but now, I think it's quite naff. Defo hasn't aged well I don't think. It's undeniably one of their most catchy songs but I regret that this was their first #1, especially with some of the previous material they have released.
~~~
Wildfire - 9/10 - (was 10/10) This is the best B-side they've ever done imo. Defo Album worthy. 'Nuff said!!'
~~~
You Don't Have The Right - 9/10 This is definitely a great wee ballad. Would be a nice release for just after Christmas probably. It sounds quite elegant and the flowing from not to note so effortlessly makes this a personal HIGHLIGHT for me.
~~~
30 Days - 8/10 When I think about this song, it's so forgettable and throwaway crap, but when I listen to it, I remember how good it really is.
~~~
Leave A Light On - 8/10 I love the chorus on the song but it's defo not single material. The verses are a bit boring imo.
~~~
Somebody Else's Life - 8/10 (was 9/10) On First listen I was hating this but I actually really love what they've done to it. The chorus is amazing and the verses are so quirky. Maybe this would have been a better risk for them to have taken than Gentleman
~~~
Gentleman - 7/10 The best thing about this song is nothing. It's the video where its all at for me. I do admire the risk they took with this song and not many artists could come back from such a poorly performing single, but there is usually always a great track around the corner with these girls, so it makes This release forgivable atleast.
~~~
Problem With Love - 6/10 (was 5/10) This should really be called problem with this song. It's the only track I actually really dislike and sounds like one of the left over tracks from OYR. It really wouldn't surprise me if this is the next single though.
-------------
Overall I give the album an 9/10. This is defo a step up from OYR and I would rank it their best effort after Chasing Lights. With hardly any filler, this is one album that's definitely worth buying.

+Quote Post
slowdown73
post Oct 11 2013, 10:33 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 1,031
   No Gallery Pics

I've been listening to the clips on iTunes and really like the sound of the whole album.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Oct 11 2013, 11:52 PM
Post #20
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I love the girls and everything, but listening to this album it sounds to me like they've finally given up trying to carve any sort of identity for themselves and accepted that they're an average girl band. sad.gif

I can honestly say I only really enjoy 'What About Us', 'Disco Love' and 'Not Giving Up'. Most of these songs are totally cheap and throwaway.

+Quote Post

51 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:02 AM