BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The most shocking UK chart results
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
The most shocking UK chart results
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 31
Guests cannot vote 
-Jay-
post Oct 3 2022, 08:28 AM
Post #1
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

I'm taking inspiration from the Kylie forum! Though I'm going a lot further by including numerous different moments. Apparently we've faced many upsetting chart moments over the years lol.

Which UK chart events involving the Spice Girls as a group or as soloists were the most shocking and/or disappointing for you?

The poll is a multiple choice, so you can vote for as many as you like. Let us know what you vote for by replying in the thread - maybe you'd like to say what you consider to be the most shocking outcome?

I've tried to include as many moments as I can think of. Even a few more obscure moments that many of you might not even consider to be shocking or disappointing per se, but you never know. I'm aware that I've probably gone overboard with the poll, but hey, I wanted to cover all bases. kink.gif Sorry if I've actually missed anything that is more obvious!

Let's use this thread to discuss these various chart disappointments - which did you expect to do much better? Conversely, do you think any of these chart outcomes were actually fair - or even that they deserved to do worse? ohmy.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tommie
post Oct 3 2022, 08:40 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 8,073
   No Gallery Pics

I don't know if I really find most of these moments shocking - mostly because their number one run was always going to end sooner rather than later and their solo careers either dwindled out, were mismanaged or (more accurately) both.

The only (positive) shock I can think of is Emma's Free Me era turning the tides for Solo Spices, if only for a brief moment.

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Oct 3 2022, 08:43 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 39,587
   No Gallery Pics

I'd say that Spices missing out on Forever going #1 against the awful Westlife signalled the end, sadly. The press really lapped up on it and made them out to be evil witches at the time...

Then Emma not getting a Top5 with Maybe was a POP CRIME!!! Still one of the best pop singles ever released...

I think the Spices also not getting at least Top10 in 2007 with Headlines was really a bad moment for the band from which they never really recovered.. Plus the Greatest Hits should have sold much more than it did back then, even if it was doomed to not go #1 against Leona Lewis anyway...

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Oct 3 2022, 09:04 AM
Post #4
Real love can't be choreographed
Member No.: 116

I went for:

England United - On Top of the World peaking at #9 / more success expected for the official World Cup song?
Geri - Look at Me peaking at #2 / her debut single not reaching #1
Various Artists - It's Only Rock 'n' Roll peaking at #19 / technically could have given the Spice Girls a fourth consecutive Christmas #1
Victoria - Out of Your Mind peaking at #2 / despite being midweek #1 all week
Geri - Scream If You Wanna Go Faster single peaking at #8 / her first ever release to miss the Top 5
Victoria - Not Such an Innocent Girl peaking at #6 / not even coming close to Kylie at #1, despite a hyped chart battle
Mel B - L.A. State of Mind entering at #453 / ...!
Spice Girls - Headlines (Friendship Never Ends) peaking at #11 / the first Spice Girls group release to miss the Top 2, let alone the Top 10

I wasn't following quite yet when Stop entered at No.2, but can imagine a lot of people saw It's Like That coming from a mile off, even if it's such a shame the No.1 run had to end with such a great song.

England United and It's Only Rock 'n' Roll I'd thought would both contend for No.1!! Oops. I still can't understand to this day how Look At Me narrowly lost out to one of the most boring Boyzone songs. Out Of Your Mind I thought would win against Spiller, which had already been on Now 46. I expected Not Such An Innocent Girl to be No.2 behind Kylie, and Scream If You Wanna Go Faster to be a safe top three hit as the follow-up to It's Raining Men. Headlines I thought would go a lot higher than 11, and finally that Mel B album...I didn't even realise the chart was registered that far down at the time!!

+Quote Post
Sour Candy
post Oct 3 2022, 10:03 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 10,275
   No Gallery Pics

Mel B - L.A. State of Mind entering at #453

Not shocking, more like iconic if you ask me!

+Quote Post
tommie
post Oct 3 2022, 10:14 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 8,073
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Sour Candy @ Oct 3 2022, 10:03 AM) *
Not shocking, more like iconic if you ask me!

laugh.gif

Honestly, the most shocking things for me have been the positive ones - like Emma's Free Me era temporarily turning the tide for Solo Spices; Gerita's Ride It making it to #4; Matt Cardle and Melanie C's Loving You making it all the way to #14 since both seemed to be beyond getting even a top 40 hit, much less a top 20 one! This poll is very focused on the negative aspect; I don't think I've ever been shocked over a Spice related release ending up below the midweek position mostly because we all know their releases are front-loaded so the opposite would be more shocking since it would indicate a public interest beyond the Spice fan base. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Scary Spiceboy
post Oct 3 2022, 10:21 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

Hot peaking at #28 was probably the most shocking for me. It never occurred to me a Spice Girl might not chart in the top 10 (I wasn't aware Word Up missed the top 10 at the time). I remember seeing it in ASDA at #28 on their chart and being like surely that is wrong? I also remember mum refusing to buy it for me because "it doesn't look appropriate" seriously think that cover really damaged a lot of the changes that album had.

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Oct 3 2022, 10:26 AM
Post #8
Real love can't be choreographed
Member No.: 116

QUOTE(tommie @ Oct 3 2022, 11:14 AM) *
laugh.gif

Honestly, the most shocking things for me have been the positive ones - like Emma's Free Me era temporarily turning the tide for Solo Spices; Gerita's Ride It making it to #4; Matt Cardle and Melanie C's Loving You making it all the way to #14 since both seemed to be beyond getting even a top 40 hit, much less a top 20 one! This poll is very focused on the negative aspect; I don't think I've ever been shocked over a Spice related release ending up below the midweek position mostly because we all know their releases are front-loaded so the opposite would be more shocking since it would indicate a public interest beyond the Spice fan base. tongue.gif

Others include the sustained top 10 success and huge sales of When You're Gone by Melanie C and Bryan Adams, and the way she managed four top four singles, including two No.1s, from four different musical genres (rock, ballad, R&B, trance) from her debut album.

Or the way Viva Forever opened with not far off 300k eight months after its release as part of the parent album, which had itself sold over a million copies by this point!

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Oct 3 2022, 10:34 AM
Post #9
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

True, there's certainly some shocking moments in the more positive sense!

I suppose one would be Emma's What Took You So Long? staying at #1 for 2 weeks - that was a very pleasant surprise considering that every previous solo Spice #1 managed just one week, and even the more recent Spice Girls #1s Goodbye and Holler had only managed one. Two weeks on top felt like quite an achievement in those days.

I voted for:

Spice Girls - Stop peaking at #2 / ending their run of #1s (Being 10 years old, my world was Spice Girls and I thought they were always going to be #1!)

Geri - Look at Me peaking at #2 / her debut single not reaching #1 (I thought this song was genius, and I didn't think it could "fail", yet as gooddelta said, the boring Boyzone song outdid it... then later on via Geri's book I found out about the price differences and the "no CD2" debacle!)

Mel B - Word Up peaking at #13 [oops at the typo for this in the poll] / the first Spice Girls related song to miss the Top 10 (Or as was revealed at the time, #14. It felt like such a flop. I didn't like the song at the time, the video disturbed me, so it wasn't like I was upset she'd missed out on the Top 10... I just assumed anything Spice Girls would at least go Top 10)

Victoria - Out of Your Mind peaking at #2 / despite being midweek #1 all week (I was fully behind Victoria, that song was everywhere, the promo was intense, I probably read on Teletext that she was heading for #1. What a furore when it got to #2!)

Mel B - Hot peaking at #28 / the first non-Top 20 outcome of any Spice related release (Just disastrous, but did I buy it on release week? No...)

Spice Girls - Forever peaking at #2 / defeated by Westlife (Well I think most saw this one coming, including me, but the extent of the defeat felt a bit shocking, as did it plumetting from #2 to #16)

Emma - We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight peaking at #20 / the lowest peaking solo Spice single as of 2001 (I genuinely loved the song, it sounded like a hit to me - #20?! I was completely shocked)

Emma - Maybe peaking at #6 / missing the Top 5 despite being #4 in the mids - a huge fan favourite (I think it was only really around 2003 that I paid very close attention to midweeks. The song sounded like a smash to me. #4? Great! #6? Oh...)

Geri - Passion peaking at #41 / the first Spice related album to miss the Top 40 (It was just such a remarkable downfall for her. Up to Ride It, everything she'd released had gone Top 10. In 2005 it felt like her fanbase had disintegrated all of a sudden).

Mel B - L.A. State of Mind entering at #453 / ...! (I do agree, this is completely iconic rotf.gif )

Spice Girls - Headlines (Friendship Never Ends) peaking at #11 / the first Spice Girls group release to miss the Top 2, let alone the Top 10 (I mean... it's the Spice Girls, it's their comeback single. Sales weren't terribly high in 2007. Them missing the Top 10 felt wild to me, even with the context that it was barely promoted and wasn't all that well received)

+Quote Post
Herbs
post Oct 3 2022, 10:51 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 214

Has to be Stop for me

Closely followed by Headlines

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Oct 3 2022, 10:57 AM
Post #11
I was Snow White ítil I started to drift
Member No.: 51

Definitely 'Headlice' missing the top 10, when we all assumed it was a nailed-on #1 at first!

Also 'Loving You' I was expecting to be a safe top 10 based on how the pre-orders were doing. Aaaand Geri's 'Scream...' performed pretty badly, but I think the most surpirising thing was the fact a highest new entry at that time could only be #8 - I knew it was a very weak song and wouldn't be contending for the top spot though.

In terms of positive ones, Mel C's 'Next Best Superstar' going top 10 shocked me at the time when I wasn't expecting it to come anywhere near and also 'Ride It' did better than I expected.

+Quote Post
Rebel
post Oct 3 2022, 11:20 AM
Post #12
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 140,886
   No Gallery Pics

I would say Forever because it signaled the ending of the band. Also, it entered at number 39 on Billboard charts was also shocking. From Number One and Number Three albums to barely making Top 40.

Also, the Headlines flop was a bit iconic because up until that point, Children in Need single tended to guarantee Top 10 right? So they kinda flopped spectacularly.

+Quote Post
vibe
post Oct 3 2022, 03:23 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

Out Of Your Mind entering at number 2

Great song
Promo was intense and included David
She led by thousands all week
Was overtaken on the Saturday (surely something underhand happened here)

+Quote Post
Equinox8
post Oct 3 2022, 03:24 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 132,865
   No Gallery Pics

Stop's #2 entry was the most shocking to me. Especially since, in hindsight, it remains one of their most popular songs to which even casual fans know the choreography to! I did like that for ROTSG, they played a little cheeky nod to "It's Like That" for blocking them from #1.

Emma's "What I Am" being blocked by Geri's "Life Me Up" -- oof. Emma's cover was superior than Geri's original track.

Mel B's 'Word Up' not performing incredibly well. I really like her cover; I actually prefer it to the original.

As for Easy V, I think Out Of Your Mind and Let Your Head Go were both #1 worthy. I was surprised by those, especially the former; I still think something screwy happened there.

As for Headlines, I was absolutely not shocked by that one. You reap what you sow, so, garbage in, garbage out. They deserved the sting of a #11 with that one. I will put money on the idea that had they released Never Give Up On The Good Times as a comeback single with a few quality remixes, they could have bagged another #1 single.

I do enjoy the live version of Headlines though. teresa.gif #SueMe

This post has been edited by Equinox8: Oct 3 2022, 03:25 PM

+Quote Post
Voodoo
post Oct 3 2022, 03:27 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 5,829
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Oct 3 2022)
If That Were Me peaking at #18 / ending a run of 5 consecutive Top 10 singles

It actually ended an amazing run of 5 consecutive Top 4 singles. cry.gif

+Quote Post
Feel_The_Fever
post Oct 3 2022, 04:34 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

Spice Girls - Headlines (Friendship Never Ends) peaking at #11 was the biggest one for me, i wasnt expecting a huge hit but i was beyond sure the worst outcome would be Top 5 so it missing the top 10 was a complete shock, stop missing number 1 was more of a surprise than a shock as from what i remember we knew very early in the week it looked like they would miss number 1 for the first time.
Forever going number 2 was one that didnt surprise or shock me as there was plenty going on indicating Spice Girls were on the decline and Westlife were really on the up so i wasnt surprised Westlife beat them.

+Quote Post
Yobnedor
post Oct 3 2022, 06:15 PM
Post #17
Previously: Jamesy
Member No.: 3,033
   No Gallery Pics

Headlines completely missing the top ten was more shocking than Stop not hitting number 1. There were SO many factors against Stop from the off so it was kinda inevitable!

+Quote Post
schizo_spice
post Oct 3 2022, 06:26 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 39,574
   No Gallery Pics

I dont think Forever missing number 1 was a big shock it was how fast it dropped after that.

+Quote Post
Scary Spiceboy
post Oct 3 2022, 08:06 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah headlines was a big shock Tbf I expected it to outpeak downtown easily which got to #3 the year before! I would love to know what the girls reactions were I bet they were gobsmacked too I mean the lead single from beautiful intentions had got to #10, Downtown managed #3 and Ride it #4Ö I donít think anyone saw headlines peaking at #11. In fact they were so confident they released it after the GH and did the on air on sale holding the physicals back two weeks (idiots!)

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Oct 3 2022, 08:33 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 39,551
   No Gallery Pics

I was a little shocked that Headlines was all handled so badly. But the chart position wasn't a surprise by the time it arrived.

I'm more shocked that Downtown got to no.3. I love Emma's talent but that wasn't a cover we needed. Still pains me that it wasn't Take Me To Another Town.

My most shocking were Think About It and Anymore (both deserved top 40).

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd December 2022 - 06:14 PM