BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)
If you have forgotten your password and a recovery email has not arrived, please click here to send us an email.

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> One_For_Sorrow's Kylie Minogue Albums Listen Through, From 'Kylie' to 'Tension' - TENSION - Pg 9 - COMPLETED
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Impossible Fever
post 22nd January 2024, 12:10 AM
Post #1
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

After being a some what occasional Kylie Minogue fan (I think I've only ever heard one album in full), I've decided I should delve into her back catalogue of albums and see what I'm missing out on. I have decided for now that I will skip over Kylie Christmas, though I may listen to it during December 2024.

I've heard plenty of Kylie's singles over the years and enjoyed the majority of them. So Here's hoping that the albums that they all come from are just as good as the singles which represent them.

I'll be starting later this week with her 1988 debut album Kylie and aim to get through one per week over the next 15 weeks. Each album will have it's own post where I'll hopefully provide a short review, my highlights and potently what I'd have done for it's singles run as well.

After listening to each album I'll update a list ranking the 15 albums from favourite to least favourite.

Please feel free to comment below with your thoughts, feedback or opinions. smile.gif

Looking forward to this! smile.gif

The albums:

Kylie
Enjoy Yourself
Rhythm of Love
Let's Get To It
Kylie Minogue
Impossible Princess
Light Years
Fever
Body Language
X
Aphrodite
Kiss Me Once
Golden
Disco
Tension

This post has been edited by One_For_Sorrow: 10th February 2024, 11:53 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Impossible Fever
post 22nd January 2024, 12:10 AM
Post #2
Group icon
---

Album Rank:

1. Fever
2. Enjoy Yourself
3. Rhythm Of Love
4. Light Years
5. X
6. Impossible Princess
7. Golden
8. Aphrodite
9. Kylie
10. Tension
11. Disco
12. Body Language
13. Kylie Minogue
14. Let's Get To It
15. Kiss Me Once

This post has been edited by One_For_Sorrow: 10th February 2024, 11:53 PM

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 22nd January 2024, 02:01 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

Looking forward to this cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Impossible Fever
post 22nd January 2024, 05:49 AM
Post #4
Group icon
---

Kicking things off now with Kylie!! cheer.gif cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Impossible Fever
post 22nd January 2024, 06:21 AM
Post #5
Group icon
---

Kylie (1988)

First up we've got Kylie Minogue's debut album from 1988 simply title Kylie, released just weeks after I was born. So with that in mind I have no memories of this what so ever. Though listening to this for the first time I do have fleeting memories of hearing some of these songs on T.V and radio in the early-mid 90's. (Mainly The Loco-Motion & I Should Be So Lucky). So although I guess I didn't really know who Kylie Minogue was I was familiar with a song or two.

Onto the album itself, it gets off to a strong start with what I think was the best choice to opening track in I Should Be So Luck. Truth to be told I don't think I've ever listened to an album from the 80's in full before, I've heard songs from the decade of course, but listening to a full body of work is like some sort of time warp. Anyway back onto the album, I was going into this fully expecting to not be a fan much of the early years of Kylie's career and I'm not to sure why. The end of the album drops away a little for me, but it was always going to be hard following up the great first half.

Singles I liked: I Should Be So Luck, The -Loco-Motion, Got To Be Certain, Je ne sais pas pourquoi
Album Tracks I liked: I Miss You

+Quote this post
aeroco
post 22nd January 2024, 10:02 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 2,392

PWL did a great job producing an album that had strong melodies and much better instrumentals than their work on albums for other artists on the label.

It is definitely stronger first half. Got to be Certain was originally recorded by Mandy Smith and it was nowhere near as good. Kylie a star from the get go.

Girl next door Kylie executed at a high level.

This post has been edited by aeroco: 22nd January 2024, 10:12 PM

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 22nd January 2024, 03:59 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Love your appreciation for K88 despite not being around for that era.

I always wonder what it must be like listening to Kylie’s back catalogue for the first time 30+ years later! It’s very much of its time but it’s a great pop album.

+Quote this post
Impossible Fever
post 22nd January 2024, 08:14 PM
Post #8
Group icon
---

QUOTE(___∆___ @ Jan 22 2024, 03:59 PM) *
Love your appreciation for K88 despite not being around for that era.

I always wonder what it must be like listening to Kylie’s back catalogue for the first time 30+ years later! It’s very much of its time but it’s a great pop album.

It’s something, but it’s good. smile.gif

It is very late 80’s sounding, which is to be expected I guess. It is such a great introductory run of singles though.

+Quote this post
Impossible Fever
post 23rd January 2024, 04:20 AM
Post #9
Group icon
---

I'm at a loose end today, so Enjoy Yourself is crossed off the list too! smile.gif

Just finishing it up now.

+Quote this post
Impossible Fever
post 23rd January 2024, 04:22 AM
Post #10
Group icon
---

Enjoy Yourself (1989)

A few tracks into the second album and this is already sounding very familiar, but in a very good way. It's the Pete Waterman sound I loved from Steps but sounding a decade earlier. I'm just over half way through this album and for me it already seems a little stronger for me, either that or I'm simply just enjoying it more. This probably won't be the last time I make comparisons to Steps, but before I heard their third album Buzz I always though their Hand On Your Heart was a cover of Kylie's version and whilst they mightn't have matched hers I think they'd have actually suited it.

Heading into Enjoy Yourself I was only really familiar with Hand On Your Heart, which I really enjoy. So I was really happy to discover that this album had a few more good singles such as Wouldn't Change A Thing and Tears On My Pillow. As well as some great album tracks that struck me more than her debut, such as Nothing To Loose I'm Over Dreaming (Over You). I also enjoyed Tell Tale Sings, though am I the only one who think it sounds a little like Hopelessly Devoted To You? Also I have noticed like with her debut I'm finding the second half not as strong as the first, but saying that I did really enjoy Yourself, I just found maybe the last two songs not as good.

Singles I liked: Hand On Your Heart, Wouldn't Change A Thing & Tears On My Pillow
Album Tracks I liked: Nothing To Lose, Tell Tale Signs, I'm Over Dreaming (Over You)

This post has been edited by One_For_Sorrow: 11th February 2024, 12:23 AM

+Quote this post
aeroco
post 23rd January 2024, 07:53 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 2,392

I think it’s a better produced ‘album’ than the debut but the first contained more hits and has a naive charm.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 23rd January 2024, 08:03 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Glad you enjoyed it! One of my favourite Kylie albums - at the time it felt like a huge leap forward from K88 but still pure pop, just better produced and shook off the late 80s vibe.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 23rd January 2024, 08:05 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(One_For_Sorrow @ Jan 23 2024, 04:22 AM) *
Album Tracks I liked: Nothing To Loose, Tell Tale Signs, I'm Over Dreaming (Over You)

Love seeing this part too - ‘I’m Over Dreaming (Over You)’ is a hardcore fan favourite, it went down a storm at her Intimate & Live show.

+Quote this post
Impossible Fever
post 23rd January 2024, 08:53 PM
Post #14
Group icon
---

QUOTE(___∆___ @ Jan 23 2024, 08:05 PM) *
Love seeing this part too - ‘I’m Over Dreaming (Over You)’ is a hardcore fan favourite, it went down a storm at her Intimate & Live show.

Thanks!! smile.gif

Did the Intimate & Live ever get a release?

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 24th January 2024, 12:06 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(One_For_Sorrow @ Jan 23 2024, 08:53 PM) *
Thanks!! smile.gif

Did the Intimate & Live ever get a release?

Unfortunately not nocheer.gif

+Quote this post
Impossible Fever
post 24th January 2024, 12:26 AM
Post #16
Group icon
---

QUOTE(___∆___ @ Jan 24 2024, 12:06 AM) *
Unfortunately not nocheer.gif

That’s a shame, thanks for sharing the video though. smile.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic_Tension
post 24th January 2024, 01:05 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Glad to hear you are enjoying her first 2 albums, I was around when they were both released and lived through complete kylie mania and I still love both albums but I prefer enjoy yourself as the album in my opinion has a couple of albums tracks that I think are stronger than the singles from the album.

+Quote this post
Impossible Fever
post 24th January 2024, 04:42 AM
Post #18
Group icon
---

QUOTE(Padamic Tension @ Jan 24 2024, 01:05 AM) *
Glad to hear you are enjoying her first 2 albums, I was around when they were both released and lived through complete kylie mania and I still love both albums but I prefer enjoy yourself as the album in my opinion has a couple of albums tracks that I think are stronger than the singles from the album.

Thanks for posting Padamic Tension! It's a little while longer before I fully remember living through a Kylie Minogue album campaign, I'll make sure to go through it in my review. Even though I can remember bits of the earlier albums singles.

+Quote this post
Impossible Fever
post 24th January 2024, 04:50 AM
Post #19
Group icon
---

Getting through these quicker than I had anticipated. (I think it's helped having time off work).

Rhythm Of Love is almost done and I may try and do Lets Get To It before the end of the week as well.

+Quote this post
Impossible Fever
post 24th January 2024, 06:53 AM
Post #20
Group icon
---

Rhythm Of Love (1990)

The listen through continues and so does the volution of Kylie Minogue. Three absolute classics opening the album is such an incredible introduction. I have these very vague memories growing up hearing the first three singles from this album, though I’d have only been 2 at the time. As when I can clearly recall hearing them properly for the first time in the late 90’s they seemed some what familiar, like I’d heard them before. Better The Devil You Know was one in particular that sounded familiar, though that was also helped by hearing Steps cover of it a lot.
After a strong opening three tracks I was all prepared for a bit of a let down on track 4 with it being the first album track and one I’d never heard before and whilst it took me a good minute to get into it I ended up really enjoying Secrets. The further I’ve gone into Rhythm Of Love the more I’ve noticed the shift in sounds to the sounds of early 90’s pop music. The album as a whole though I’ve found I haven’t really enjoyed as much as Enjoy Yourself. The singles are fantastic, but aside from Secrets and The World Still Turns none of the other tracks, including single Shocked left much of an impression on me.

Singles I liked: Better The Devil You Know, Step Back In Time, What Do I Have To Do
Album Tracks I liked: Secrets, The World Still Turns, Counting Down The Days

+Quote this post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 22nd September 2024, 09:15 PM