BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> A quick note
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
awardinary
post Oct 2 2021, 10:13 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587
I wasn’t sure how to start this post, but I didn’t want to come across as complaintive, rather, I wanted to express a personal feeling that I believe is silently shared by many others on this forum, and is perhaps common knowledge too but I felt like it needed to be said.

The artist forums are a great way to drive traffic to the forum, and one of the main ways that fans can interact and discuss various topics related to their favourite artists. Long may they continue in whatever capacity that is chosen. However, I am one such member of this community that seldom participates in artist forum discussions because I feel like I am somewhat inadequate or not up to the level of fandom that others in that community are, and as such, there have been times before where my contributions have been overlooked or dismissed as unintelligent or unimpressive. I never make a claim to be an expert on any artist, and while I have tried before to engage in discussion, as well as start some discussions too, I feel like I am constantly being judged for not being as much of a dedicated fan as others in that community are. There are no specific artist forums that cause negative reactions, it seems to be an overall feeling, and I think one main reason is that those who post in these forums often don’t post in other parts of BuzzJack, and so I have no connection or understanding of them as individuals, and vice versa. No one individual is to blame for this situation, and as I said at the outset, it is not a complaint, but rather an observation. I tried to get involved in a minor way with the Sugababes forum yesterday, on release day, because I saw the forum was buzzing, and I could see all the enthusiasm for the artist. I made one or two posts, Silas acknowledged them and that was nice to see and made me feel welcomed, but nobody else interacted with me. Not that anyone is expected to of course, and I only shared my own comments on the album, I did not ask questions or request feedback. This is not something that bothers me on the whole, but it highlighted to me why I don’t venture into artist forums much, I just don’t feel like I belong in these communities, or that I don't have the right to speak up there. I know that I feel much happier in the other areas of BuzzJack instead (UK Charts, Dance, Buzzjack Song Contest etc) where I feel valued, and I feel part of a community of friends. I wish I could enjoy Artist Forums more, but I simply do not feel like I have a place to speak there, and so I remain silent.

Perhaps others have felt this way before, or still do and haven’t said anything, but this felt like something I needed to express today.

Thanks for your time.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Silas
post Oct 2 2021, 12:31 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
I want everyone to feel welcome in my forum and able to contribute as much or as little as they would like to without needing to be at obsessed levels of fandom in order to enjoy posting and taking part in our discussions

If you have some suggestions on how it can be made easier I am personally all ears.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Oct 2 2021, 12:38 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
Yep I can only speak for the Ariana forum but we've always adopted a welcoming approach and happily encourage anyone to participate if they would like to!

+Quote this post
awardinary
post Oct 2 2021, 12:49 PM
Post #4
Group icon
QUOTE(Quarantilas @ Oct 2 2021, 01:31 PM) *
I want everyone to feel welcome in my forum and able to contribute as much or as little as they would like to without needing to be at obsessed levels of fandom in order to enjoy posting and taking part in our discussions

If you have some suggestions on how it can be made easier I am personally all ears.

QUOTE(Jade @ Oct 2 2021, 01:38 PM) *
Yep I can only speak for the Ariana forum but we've always adopted a welcoming approach and happily encourage anyone to participate if they would like to!

Thank you both for your efforts! happy.gif

Like I said, I’m not complaining about one specific artist forum, or any specific members, it just feels like a contrasting class distinction overall by those who are die hard fans and who own these forums, and those who are silent watchers. I take some responsibility in not putting as much effort, I can always do more. But I feel like there are barriers I need to break first to regain confidence in these little exclusive communities.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Oct 2 2021, 12:56 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
Interesting post. I don’t personally find any of the artist forms like this - I do wonder sometimes if people can place too much value on whether others reply or react, it’s a symptom of social media I guess. I also think feeling this way can also be as a result of a balance of things - not least how we’re feeling ourselves at the time we have these thoughts.

I would just encourage people to join in if they feel like they have something to contribute and then not to judge that contribution by whether anyone else directly replies. It’s a sad reflection of how we interact these days, people are used to just pressing a like button and not necessarily feeling like they must act on a fuller level.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Oct 2 2021, 01:28 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
Come to the Pink forum, Wardy, we welcome anyone who wants to discuss Pink!

+Quote this post
Cameron
post Oct 2 2021, 03:43 PM
Post #7
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061
Wardy, this is a very valid post and similar to some of my own feelings regarding the lounge over the past few years. BuzzJack is very welcoming but we could be doing something more inclusive to make everyone feel welcome.

With the artist forums, half of them are dead anyway so don’t worry. I often talk to myself in Zara forum…

+Quote this post
awardinary
post Oct 2 2021, 07:48 PM
Post #8
Group icon
QUOTE(Cameron @ Oct 2 2021, 04:43 PM) *
Wardy, this is a very valid post and similar to some of my own feelings regarding the lounge over the past few years. BuzzJack is very welcoming but we could be doing something more inclusive to make everyone feel welcome.

With the artist forums, half of them are dead anyway so don’t worry. I often talk to myself in Zara forum…

Thanks for the message of support Cameron. Glad to know it’s not just myself who feels this way. It’s a team effort to make BuzzJack welcoming, I will try to take the initiative more now. happy.gif

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post Oct 4 2021, 09:55 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275
Thanks for opening the discussion! I can only speak on behalf of Gaga forum, but we welcome everyone to discuss Gaga, and it's not just music, but her movies, fashion, cosmetics etc, even you and your relationship with her - has Gaga's music helped you in life or have started/stopped liking her and why. Especially in the "f" thread, which is thread for all random stuff and nonsense, you can post practically everything about her. I just posted about the dream I had there laugh.gif

If you have a broader topic or opinions about a certain album and song, feel free to share your thoughts in already existing threads (if there is one), which is probably "easier" than starting a new one. After all, Gaga is an artist who has done it all from movies to EDM and jazz so the forum is there for all kinds of stuff.. Like she once sang, "my ARTPOP could mean anything"

This post has been edited by Sour Candy: Oct 4 2021, 10:02 AM

+Quote this post
London
post Oct 24 2021, 02:51 PM
Post #10
Group icon
London Boy
User: 21,053
Hey! I only just read this! I used to feel like this too & so was surprised when I was asked to be a mod of the Taylor forum! Actually I still do feel like this when I go to other artist forums. But I just post anyway now laugh.gif

Because of this, I always try to make people feel welcome in the Taylor forum. Come join us for some chat. Your voice and opinions are always valued wub.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:18 AM