BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Arrested Development ::, THE RETURN
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
p a v
post 7th December 2011, 08:11 PM
Post #21
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

It's quite a rarity to have a TV show resurrected. ohmy.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
p a v
post 9th December 2011, 01:57 PM
Post #22
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

+Quote this post
jakewild
post 11th December 2011, 10:50 PM
Post #23
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
User: 2,790

QUOTE(▲▲▲ @ Oct 3 2011, 01:08 AM) *
My mind cannot process this without getting giddy and dancing around my bedroom. The greatest comedy of all time is coming back? Not just for a movie? For a mini-series and a fucking movie? DEAD. I JUST BLUE MYSELF THINKING ABOUT THIS. PREMATURELY SHOT MY WAD IF YOU WILL.

Totally get this now, at first I was like WAT.

Tobias is killin me. SUCH a good character.

+Quote this post
Chemical_Halo
post 12th December 2011, 12:06 AM
Post #24
Group icon
I spell fun, d.i.s.c.o
User: 144

Hahah I'm so excited for thissss. Such a beautiful show.

+Quote this post
jakee
post 13th December 2011, 02:38 AM
Post #25
Group icon
i thought you wore the hairpiece for style
Pronouns: ·
User: 47

On the back of Ryan and Jake watching this (true televisual barometers for the Buzzbatarian masses) I started watching this and after 5 episodes it's possibly one of the worst television programmes I have ever seen. Truly awful. I am shocked at its popularity here *_*

+Quote this post
▲▲▲
post 13th December 2011, 03:42 AM
Post #26
Group icon
INVITE ME TO YOUR SYNAGOGUE
User: 155

QUOTE(Phaedrus Ráđúlfr @ Dec 13 2011, 02:38 AM) *
On the back of Ryan and Jake watching this (true televisual barometers for the Buzzbatarian masses) I started watching this and after 5 episodes it's possibly one of the worst television programmes I have ever seen. Truly awful. I am shocked at its popularity here *_*

Probably one of the most acclaimed comedies of all time, not just popular on here.

Lots of people hate it so I'm not that surprised. It's unusually absurd and garish but subtle, too. An odd contrast. I just love how every episode was so on point and the calibre of writing really hasn't been matched since it finished. I can watch one episode and have a completely different experience each time because there are so many obscure references that take numerous viewings to even notice. It was just ingenious.

+Quote this post
jakewild
post 13th December 2011, 03:56 AM
Post #27
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)

Stick with it Jake! Though if you're not finding it funny by episode 5 I dunno sad.gif I do need someone to quote this in real life to though so keep watching it. Nene makes a cameo in episode 6 maybe...??? BLOOP BLOOP

QUOTE(▲▲▲ @ Dec 13 2011, 03:42 AM) *
Probably one of the most acclaimed comedies of all time, not just popular on here.

Lots of people hate it so I'm not that surprised. It's unusually absurd and garish but subtle, too. An odd contrast. I just love how every episode was so on point and the calibre of writing really hasn't been matched since it finished. I can watch one episode and have a completely different experience each time because there are so many obscure references that take numerous viewings to even notice. It was just ingenious.

Perfect description of it.

I love how I just keep noticing blue hand prints all over the house in certain shots without anyone making reference to it.

+Quote this post
▲▲▲
post 13th December 2011, 03:59 AM
Post #28
Group icon

What made Arrested Development a great show, rather than an 'interesting' one, is that for all its allusiveness and dense self-reference, it was a strong example of a classically-structured sitcom as well. The characters were set up as sitcom types, and the elders' performances - in the roles of George, Oscar, Lucille, Lucille II, Stan Sitwell, Barry Zuckerkorn, etc. - were in a familiar sitcom style, however beautifully performed. (Jeffrey Tambor, in particular, brought a startling humanity and pathos to his work as George/Oscar, quickly outgrowing the broad material he was given in the early series.)

The point here is only that Arrested Development, like Seinfeld and The Simpsons, was a well-executed example of a familiar comedy type as well as a formal advance for the sitcom. Seinfeld's circular plotting and moral chilliness, The Simpsons's visual density and deep self-referentiality, and Arrested Development's pomo involution and formal ingenuity would all be forgotten were it not for their familiar comic modes - Lampoon-style WASP magazine-minicomedy in the cartoon's case, Borscht Belt stage theatrics for the thoroughly Jewish live-action shows. Arrested Development is the end of a developmental line that includes both the two earlier sitcoms. In other words, your grandparents couldn't have loved Arrested Development the way you do, ya hip 21st-century white kid - too much rides on form and style - just the jokes themselves are old, old, old.

This is a far better explanation than anything I can come up with. You could say Modern Family was the next show on that developmental line - just in an overly American, less funny and mainstream way.

This post has been edited by ▲▲▲: 13th December 2011, 04:00 AM

+Quote this post
jakee
post 18th December 2011, 05:12 AM
Post #29
Group icon

Addicted.

+Quote this post
Chemical_Halo
post 18th December 2011, 09:18 AM
Post #30
Group icon
I spell fun, d.i.s.c.o
User: 144

I'm so glad your opinion changed Jake! Heart definitely sank a little bit with that other post - Jesus it almost brought on a panic attack aha!

+Quote this post
jakee
post 20th December 2011, 11:58 PM
Post #31
Group icon

Season 2 has SET THE BAR even HIGHER.

Literal roflolz all episode long.

+Quote this post
▲▲▲
post 21st December 2011, 02:35 AM
Post #32
Group icon

What changed your mind?

+Quote this post
jakee
post 21st December 2011, 03:34 AM
Post #33
Group icon

I do not know. I didn't find the first few episodes of season one particularly engaging or funny. It got much better through the season and I like the recurring jokes too.

What else do you think I might like Ryan? First 'Mad Men' now this.

!!!

+Quote this post
jakewild
post 26th December 2011, 03:52 AM
Post #34
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)

^ Yeah I'll be needing a list of your favourite shows Ryan. Impeccable taste tbh.

+Quote this post
jakewild
post 13th January 2012, 04:40 PM
Post #35
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)

THIS SHOW

+Quote this post
Regina
post 13th January 2012, 06:09 PM
Post #36
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

QUOTE(JakeWild @ Jan 13 2012, 04:40 PM) *

THIS SHOW

That scene is really good.

"Its a cross"
"Across from where?"

<3

+Quote this post
jakewild
post 27th January 2012, 05:21 PM
Post #37
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)

Finishing up the last few episodes of this. I NEVER WANT IT TO END.

So glad there are new episodes and a movie to look forward to though.

+Quote this post
jakee
post 30th January 2012, 09:34 PM
Post #38
Group icon

The new season of Arrested Development has entered pre-production, it has been confirmed.

It was announced last year that the axed Fox comedy will return for ten new episodes on Netflix, with a feature film to follow.

"We're really doing this thing," confirmed co-executive producer Dean Lorey on his blog. "[Series creator] Mitch Hurwitz, [writer] Jim Valley and I are off writing the new season of Arrested to premiere on Netflix in 2013."

He continued: "The original cast is back. There are offices and parking spaces. We're shooting this year. I wish I could give more specifics but, for the moment, even the schedule is being kept under wraps."

David Cross, who played Tobias Fünke, previously announced that the entire Arrested Development cast - including Jason Bateman, Michael Cera and Will Arnett - were "verbally committed" to the reunion.

"No-one wants to be the asshole who ruins it for everyone else," he said. "But no-one doesn't want to do it, everyone's excited."

Executive producer Ron Howard, who also narrated the original series, has described the concept for the new episodes as "pretty hilarious" and "outrageous".

"I think [Mitch has] got some hilarious idea about where these characters are in the world now, four or five years later, what they've been up to, what their frame of mind is now, and how they relate to each other," he said earlier this month.

FACK

+Quote this post
jakewild
post 31st January 2012, 11:33 AM
Post #39
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)

^ Definitely gonna have to re-subscribe to Netflix when these new episodes come out.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 6th March 2012, 01:32 AM
Post #40
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

Stumbled across this tonight. Don't know how but TiVo was on FX.

It's hilarious!

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 12:46 PM