BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 30 Day TV Challenge, Day 30: Saddest Character Death
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post Feb 20 2019, 01:34 AM
Post #41
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
Day 02. A show that you wish more people were watching: The Fosters

It's over now but The Fosters aired for five excellent seasons, delving into the life of a modern family. Two moms, one biological child and four adopted, and all of the hurdles each of them face along the way. It's warm, easy viewing but with some hard-hitting issues tackled along the way. Just the sort of show everyone should be talking about!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Linds.
post Feb 20 2019, 01:35 AM
Post #42
Group icon
laugh 'til we cry
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,176
Day 01. A show that should have never been cancelled +1 for Faking It!! It would be an amazing Netflix series now-a-days tbh, it was one of the first shows I watched that had really diverse rep etc *.* I'm also gonna put Sense8 and Don't Trust The B**** In Apartment 23

Day 02. A show that you wish more people were watching The Bold Type is the first that comes to mind but there's probs loads I could put for this. I think you can only stream it on Amazon Prime or possibly Hulu aswell meaning it's not the most accessible series (again it would slay on Netflix) but it has everything you could ever want in a current tv series tbh, it reminds me of Ugly Betty except it's more about female friendships and social issues etc

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post Feb 20 2019, 09:57 AM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 12,837
Day 01. A show that should have never been cancelled: Happy Endings
Day 02. A show that you wish more people were watching: Big Brother UK

Day 03. Your favourite new show

Sex Education. This is by far the best new show I've seen in a while. I was absolutely obsessed with it when I discovered it in January and I so wish I had more episodes to binge because it's just soooo good!! The characters are all great, the setting and feel of the show is so ambiguous (there's both british and american styles to the show) and the time period even more so (80s music? 90s clothes? 2010s slang? who knows when the hell this show is supposed to happen). Then of course the best thing about this show is how informative it is and how cleverly it addresses the issues it faces. Sexuality is one of those issues that has long been sort of taboo (although that's finally changing in recent years) and sex education has, at least in my country, been insufficient for a long time so this show is finally teaching young people more than just how to put a damn condom on a banana lol.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Feb 20 2019, 10:59 AM
Post #44
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
Sex Education is a wonderful shout of course! Best live-action show so far this year.

Day 03 - Your favourite new show

My answer is going to rely on me being a LITTLE TINY bit consumed by The Promised Neverland, a gripping anime thriller with danger around every corner, and a world that is both compelling and almost entirely mysterious at this point in the series, bar a couple of horrific facts we got in the first episode to set up the premise. And no, I'm not writing down what it's about, it's best experienced for oneself.

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post Feb 20 2019, 11:20 AM
Post #45
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666
Day 1: Class
Day 2: Cleverman

----------------------------------------

Day 3: Your favourite new show

The Haunting Of Hill House

Recently saw this on Netflix last month and I absolutely adored it.
I love how in the episodes, they transition between past and present through the use of random objects being shown on the screen or through lines said by a character. It gives a unique presentation.
The ensemble of characters well-written and backed with excellent acting to bring them to life. Most of them recieve great character development throughout the episodes.
The show's dark tone also comes with heart-breaking themes (such as Luke's drug addiction and Nell's nightmares involving the Bent-Neck Lady) and some unexpected twists to give off a downbeat vibe to the show.
It's a must watch for any horror fans.

This post has been edited by DalekTurret32: Feb 20 2019, 11:21 AM

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post Feb 20 2019, 11:24 AM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 12,837
Haunting of Hill House was definitely my second choice. Netflix really hit it out of the park with these two. Their most recent offering - Umbrella Academy - is proving to be great as well so far!

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Feb 20 2019, 12:04 PM
Post #47
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
Goddammit I was literally just about to go with that! laugh.gif Great shout though ofc., probably my favourite show I discovered last year.

OK lemme think of something else.

Day 03. Your favourite new show: The Terror

I mean I just started this so a bit of a WIP for now, but of all the new shows, this certainly hooked me in very quickly. A 19th Century drama which is a fictionalised account of the lost expedition to the Arctic by Captain Sir John Franklin where they are stalked by a strange monster. It's proved very good at establishing suspense and really going where you don't expect it to, any fans of horror I would highly recommend this to!

+Quote this post
p a v
post Feb 20 2019, 01:34 PM
Post #48
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397
Day 03. Your favourite new show

Totally backing up The Haunting of Hill House selection. Stunning, moody, smart. The best horror TV show I've seen in forever.

+Quote this post
Linds.
post Feb 20 2019, 02:48 PM
Post #49
Group icon
laugh 'til we cry
Day 03. Your Favourite New TV Show? The Haunting of Hill House is a brilliant shout but I'm gonna need to go with Killing Eve

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post Feb 20 2019, 02:57 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293
1. A show that should have never been cancelled. American Vandal
2. A show that you wish more people were watching. Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.

3. Your favourite new show. The Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina

I was not expecting this to be so dark. Kiernan Shipka is brilliant and is a future star in the making. The sub-plots about her friends are pretty uninteresting but every time the focus is on Sabrina or her family the show is electric. The last time a hit teen show did a related series focused on adding magical elements it was pretty rubbish (looking at you Ravenswood) but this one is so good and I would say works much better than Riverdale.

Don't Trust The B... was one of my alternative answers to Q1

This post has been edited by LewisGT: Feb 20 2019, 02:57 PM

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Feb 20 2019, 05:39 PM
Post #51
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
omg The Job Lot, I loved that so much - so much better than it needed to be

Day 01. A show that should have never been cancelled: Flashforward
Day 02: A show you wish more people were watching: Episodes
Day 03: Your favourite new show: Maniac

ugh this one is tough because most of the stuff I’ve watched recently has been catching up on new seasons of older shows and it depends on how you would classify new! I would go for Mindhunter as that as only had one season but it was released 2017, then Derry Girls is one of my favourite comedies of the last year along with The End of the f***ing World and both have upcoming new series. Baptiste has only had one episode broadcast a couple of days ago and is even then a spin-off and The Haunting of Hill House has had a few mentions already!

I’ve gone for Maniac even though it was a one-off series but I loved how visual it was and how each episode took you to an entirely different place with a great mix of genres - as well as (as expected) excellent acting from the two leads. I know it wasn’t for everyone but I certainly had a blast watching. Shoutouts to Disenchantment & Russian Doll, the first of which I’m definitely interested in seeing more of and the second I’ve only got the finale to go, so I’m left wondering whether it has potential for further seasons or not!

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Feb 20 2019, 07:24 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
Favourite new show - The Crimson Rivers.

This is a French police drama being shown on More4. As ever, the two lead characters have a back story but that doesn't generally get in the way of the main plot. Maybe not quite up to the standard of the best Stand dramas, but still pretty good.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Feb 20 2019, 07:25 PM
Post #53
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
Well I think we know what mine is...

Day 03. Your favourite new show: All American

At first it tried to market itself as a Gen Z version of Friday Night Lights/One Tree Hill (which is how I got my sister into it) and the first thing I thought was "oh well at least Cody will keep me interested tongue.gif" The arcs are among the best I've seen in the TV shows I've watched and they tackle so many topics with grace and class (police brutality, gang violence, Olivia's recovery from a previous overdose, Coop's struggles coming out, Asher's home life, the list goes on). I know it's only the first season, but their focus on the main plot is impeccable and the ensemble really keeps everything together. The other thing that I love about the ensemble is how they're minority-driven, but the show doesn't force feed the idea that it's minority-driven. They let the talent and the characters speak for themselves. I honestly hope to God this gets renewed because it's probably the first time we've had a really good teen drama that didn't rely on a gimmick like Riverdale or The Vampire Diaries did since... probably Gossip Girl.

Shoutouts to Pose (pretty much for the same reasons as above, no overpowering plot and every member of the ensemble holds their own) and Deadly Class (for surprising me with making their concept work).

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Feb 20 2019, 07:33 PM
Post #54
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530
Day 03. Your favourite new show: Good Trouble

On the topic of The Fosters, Callie and Mariana go it alone in the new spin-off. We're around the halfway mark of its first season now and it's brilliant. It's like the older sister of The Fosters, more mature and perhaps a bit less "homely" but that's just how Callie and Mariana are feeling with their new jobs, so it's conveyed perfectly. The supporting characters are all strong and interesting, and of course the central characters remain so strong.

+Quote this post
Calum
post Feb 20 2019, 07:50 PM
Post #55
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316
Day 1: A show that should have never been cancelled: Faking It
Day 2: A show that you wish more people were watching: Atypical

Updated Day 2 - couldn't really think of many, but Atypical really is a fantastic series that I've not seen a great amount of hype for. sad.gif Very excited to see what direction that goes in with a third season if we get one.

Day 3: Your favourite new show: Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

I'm already loving how dark the show is, how much variety there is in the storylines, and more importantly how great it is compared to Riverdale (praying it doesn't end up down the same path). laugh.gif The cast are all brilliant too, especially Harvey, Zelda and Madam Satan! Can't wait for the second season.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post Feb 20 2019, 08:51 PM
Post #56
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753
Day 01. A show that should have never been cancelled: Hard Sun
Day 02. A show that you wish more people were watching: The Man In The High Castle
Day 03. Your favourite new show: Killing Eve

It HAS to be Killing Eve - it's my most anticipated second season this year and I was utterly gripped by season one. Villanelle is also one of my favourite ever characters in anything. What an icon!

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post Feb 20 2019, 09:20 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223
Yesss Calum, I love 'Atypical'!!

Day 1, a show that never should have been cancelled: 'Don't Trust The B*tch In Apartment 23', sharp and hilarious and Krysten Ritter is everything in it!
Day 2, a show you wish more people were watching: 'Atypical' or 'Russian Doll'!
Day 3, favourite new show: 'You' - trashy as f*ck but so entertaining!

+Quote this post
Linds.
post Feb 20 2019, 09:30 PM
Post #58
Group icon
laugh 'til we cry
omg i'm shocked that more people aren't watching russian doll tbh!! i adore natasha lyonne so i was hooked as soon as i watched the first episode, binged it in one night lmao but its so good! i really like atypical as well, season two is so much better than the first one though. More people also need to be watching one day at a time tbh

+Quote this post
Botchia
post Feb 20 2019, 09:40 PM
Post #59
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753
QUOTE(Kehlindsey @ Feb 20 2019, 09:30 PM) *
omg i'm shocked that more people aren't watching russian doll tbh!! i adore natasha lyonne so i was hooked as soon as i watched the first episode, binged it in one night lmao but its so good! i really like atypical as well, season two is so much better than the first one though. More people also need to be watching one day at a time tbh

I want to start it!! I literally just heard about it on Sunday for the first time :/

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Feb 20 2019, 09:40 PM
Post #60
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
I finished it tonight!! My thoughts coming in the thread at some point in the near future #ad

+Quote this post

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:42 AM