BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Small Talk., Why was it predominantly panned on Buzzjack?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JSG
post Jul 13 2021, 06:17 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473
I've actually been wondering this for a while and decided to make a thread on it because I actually am so so so confused at the reception this gets from quite a few members on here.

It's a great song (in my opinion). Nice melody. Quite the bop. Cute dog. Even the video is quite funny to a degree and her vocals are on point. It's by no means the best thing she's created but it's still miles abouve half the material from her various albums.

It has some great lines.
"Isn't it weird that you've seen me naked." For example is a good one regarding the song as a whole and what it's about. It's a relateable song too.

Some reviews from online and some reviews from Buzzjack.

Song reviews online. (The professional reviews are mixed leaning more towards good!)

• "This is the resurrection of Katy Perry that you wanted. This new era is already showing so much promise. But here’s an unpopular opinion; ‘Witness’ was actually a great experimental album that people just didn’t appreciate because it wasn’t cookie cutter. That’s some piping hot tea for you."

• "Perry’s latest is actually fairly stale, and it fails to really go anywhere interesting until after the two-minute mark, at which point even her most ardent fans may have tuned out."

• "Small Talk features that same epic pop vibe that Old Katy Perry used to. It’s quick, it’s catchy and there is a strong range of vocals going on in the song. You can tell which direction Katy Perry is going in with music from this record – she’s going back to pop anthems instead of her weird dance-pop era of Witness. Perry’s latest release is all about what it’s like to go from lovers to strangers (straight from the lyrics that one is) with someone. Small Talk is lyrically simple, but that’s not necessarily a problem. The only part that is a bit naff is the “blah, blah, blah” towards the end of the song. A tad lyrically immature and Perry can do way better than that.

• "The pace is a bit more laidback in comparison to its predecessor, but still swinging enough to call it a bop. The production is contemporary and playful and mostly underlines the impeccable melody. Sounds like a hit to me! Katy Perry is back!

Buzzjack reactions. (Bonus points if you can guess who said what! tongue.gif)

• "Don't like this at all, it sounds very unfinished & doesn't go anywhere interesting. After 'NRO' built up hype for Katy again, 'ST' really killed all the momentum & its poor chart placings proved that, as she's never recovered & not likely to."

• "A lot worse than the snippets would suggest... oh Katy cry.gif
#1 on TTH? This is so ridiculous, if NRO had that kinda promo..."

• "meh a bit of a mis-step"

"There’s no way this can be a hit if NRO never properly took off. Such a step down and a huge disappointment"

• "Small Talk is very cute! I'm happy with it, I'll certainly be using it and bopping away for the rest of the summer cool2.gif Not quite sure about the "blah blah blah" section, but it is very Katy and to be fair it does fit the mood of feeling like there's nothing of substance left to say with an ex."

"Really liking this!
Definitely doesn’t sound as big as NRO but she’s in a much better position now than she was when that was released. Completely agree with the above"

I could go on forever with these reactions. drama.gif

At the end of the day it's undeniably Katy. I feel like maybe she doesn't care about chart positions anymore, if she even did in the first place and the song is a cute bop. Maybe not as good as Never really over but I don't think it ever had to be and on its own is very serviceable.

I really just want your input and opinions on this. That's all laugh.gif

I'm done laugh.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brer
post Jul 15 2021, 12:01 AM
Post #2
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
cos it's shet

+Quote this post
JSG
post Jul 15 2021, 05:59 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Bré @ Jul 15 2021, 01:01 AM) *
cos it's shet

f*** sake BRE. Such a good analysis!

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Jul 15 2021, 08:57 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
This is definitely the song that put the final nail in the coffin of her career, she'd managed to build up a little bit of momentum after the tricky Witness era with NRO only to immediately undo it all with this.

It's an OK song, but clunky sounding with some pretty cringe lyrics and it's CRAZY they thought releasing this was a good idea now knowing what else they were sitting on.

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post Jul 15 2021, 11:23 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030
i always quite enjoyed it and thought it would fit nicely on 'smile', instead of the title track.

+Quote this post
post Jul 15 2021, 02:03 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
I like this, and think it's a cute well-made little innocent bop. I think a lot of people would have enjoyed it if they discovered it as an album track. But choosing it as a single off the back of 'Never Really Over' really was a horrible mistake.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Jul 15 2021, 04:43 PM
Post #7
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
I just don't like this song at all & WTF were Katy & the label thinking when they chose this as a single, especially following 'NRO' which got the public excited about her music again & then killed all that good will with this rather stale offering. The only positives I can give are that the lyrics, but despite having a solid team behind the production, this just fails to go anywhere interesting & falls rather flat by the 2 minute mark.

It also feels very unfinished, with very clunky production & just very boring, hell this made the 'Witness' era singles more interesting by comparison. Even the die-hard fans pretty much gave up by this point & even the singles that followed (which weren't much better) failed to turn things around for her, which is a shame as the 'Smile' album had some really good songs on there & maybe if they'd picked better singles, then things could have turned out better for her.

'Small Talk' could have served as a promotional single or as just an album cut , then it may have gotten away without much backlash, especially if she picked a stronger 2nd single such as "Cry About It Later". but as it was it doesn't have the power to standout as a successful single.

+Quote this post
JSG
post Jul 30 2021, 06:36 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I honestly don't get the hate for it sad.gif

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post Jul 30 2021, 11:51 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031
I like the song too. Better than harleys in Hawaii!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Aug 2 2021, 07:42 PM
Post #10
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
User: 5,042
This gets far FAR too much hate. It's ridiculous.

Is it a masterpiece? Nope. But it's a lot better than the reactions would have you believe. It's so cute!

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post Aug 2 2021, 07:51 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043
QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Jul 15 2021, 09:57 AM) *
This is definitely the song that put the final nail in the coffin of her career, she'd managed to build up a little bit of momentum after the tricky Witness era with NRO only to immediately undo it all with this.

Pretty much all of this.

Terrible song that should never have seen the light of day as a single.

+Quote this post
LMFan
post Aug 2 2021, 09:49 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 948
I think it gets the hate because it was such a vanilla follow up to the brilliant NRO. NRO really built up momentum again and showed promise for the album and the follow up to it should have been as strong. Small talk however just fell short, album track at best. It’s a bit like Bon appetite, another single choice I’ll never understand the decision making behind.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:09 AM