BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Record Of The Decade - Results Thread
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Iz 🌟
post Nov 4 2019, 10:17 AM
Post #101
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

7 - 7 - 2011 Rihanna (feat. Calvin Harris) - We Found Love ( 15 - 5 - 3 - 2 - 16 - 5 - 7 - 7 ) 375

We Found Love holds steadfast at #7 and why does it have to be that boring of a movement argh?! I suppose it'll flop down to the mid-teens next year as predicted by the chart run patterns as yet again it fails to live up to its promise of winning one day.

This has been Rihanna's main hope for a while now as each year many of her earlier, wide-appeal pop tracks leave us, Umbrella in 2017 (and that was the big one), Don't Stop The Music/Disturbia in 2018, and I guess Rude Boy this year if that counts. Next year Only Girl/What's My Name will have their last attempt and We Found Love will be almost alone yet still leading the Rihanna pack. It never quite gets to the point where it's really in contention, but that's a steady run all the same. They just don't make Calvin Harris breakdowns like they used to... no, wait, they do. all the time in fact. We Found Love just being super euphoric stands out among the rest.

I say all of the above paragraph with love as a lapsed Rihanna stan. shouldn't be her undisputed best though like ANY of the others would be more interesting
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
ElectroBoy
post Nov 4 2019, 10:24 AM
Post #102
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,002
Good to see M83 taking such a big climb and into the top 10.

The Mother We Share is ok... but I wouldn't say top 10 of the last decade.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Nov 4 2019, 10:25 AM
Post #103
Group icon

6 - 4 - 2010 Robyn - Dancing On My Own ( 20 - 7 - 10 - 15 - 7 - 1 - 6 - 4 - 6 ) 380

Hey, it's a former winner. Actually, one thing I do remember from adding the final up was that Dancing On My Own was leading for a rather long amount of time to the point where I was convinced it would win, but in the end, not to be.

I've all but gone on record stating I don't actually like this that much anymore which could be viewed as sacrilege. Maybe back in the days when Calum Scott was a name that haunted the corridors of the charts I liked it as a reactionary feeling against dull covers but currently, without any villain for me to defend it for, I'm finding the idea of it annoying and it's status as the premier representative of 2010, a year I always thought was an excellent chart year (as I was getting into charts then, of course I did), I don't feel like this is the best representative of it.

What it is is a good representative of Scandinavian pop, which is something we can always do more with, so there's that about it. And then there's the message of the song, much like my opinion on it, I go back and forth debating whether it's an impressively empowering/depressive cry at the world or something that ends up sounding a little whiny. But I'll stop there as I might be giving the Robyn fans several forehead vein bulges by this point. It's a song with a lot of fans and on its penultimate year it WAS on track to win but unfortunately fell a little short. Apologies.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Nov 4 2019, 10:34 AM
Post #104
Group icon

5 - 13 - 2017 Rita Ora - Anywhere ( 13 - 5 ) 406

Two stats about the top 5, they all got over 400 points, and while I did enlist help from other people over the course of this countdown (many thanks to Jupiter, Sam, Rush and Bré for all their work in helping me run this competition over the months, I'll remember to thank you again at the end), I kept the order of the top 5 firmly secret. No one knows who won except for me, and anyone else who took the time out of their lives to add up publically available points with a spreadsheet but I doubt anyone did that and if you did I want to recruit you.

Anyway, Rita Ora... in the top 5? What have we done to this site? More importantly, what the hell has Rita Ora done to this site? Why am I not even that mad about this?

Rita's definitely really grown into her role as a popstar and nowhere is this more apparent than 'Anywhere'. Instant, beautiful and at once emotional and fun - that beat is maddeningly addictive, I really can't fault it, even after ages of overplay it still sounds pretty good. I reckon its desire to break out of routine and get away from normal life also helped... Anyway, this second year is very promising for its future, maybe even a future winner? Often the first year is strongest for many songs and this definitely isn't the case this time.

In fact, if I didn't know the order of the top 10 when I posted it yesterday I'd have guessed this would have come 10th. Outperformed my expectations by loads.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Nov 4 2019, 10:46 AM
Post #105
Group icon

4 - 6 - 2015 Carly Rae Jepsen - Run Away With Me ( 5 - 1 - 6 - 4 ) 411 (20 votes)

Carly Rae Jepsen's uncanny ability to remind me of my Rate run... or more accurately, Robyn coming to enact revenge on me for slighting her a short while ago continues as Run Away With Me recovers from 6th to 4th place.

One of the happiest pop songs, I remain very happy it won one year, even if it's unlikely to win again now, its card is marked. Although if I were to go into ROTD voting psychology that probably helps it, it's known to be a success story and that might perpetuate it. And I have no problem with that. Like CHVRCHES, it inspires that pop fan who thinks the current state of chart music is a bit rubbish really but can go for unabashed melodies and a euphoric sense of happiness, no matter what the lords of commercial music capitalism say. In the end, a sales chart website is a slave to the system and Carly Rae's victory was us beating the system, as close as Buzzjack has ever gotten to revolution. At least for a time.

And yes, as you can see if you look at the result in detail, this was on a tiebreak with at least the third-placed song, where it got the least amount of votes in the tiebreak. Things are very close up here.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Nov 4 2019, 10:53 AM
Post #106
Group icon

3 - NE 2018 Ariana Grande - no tears left to cry ( 3 ) 411

Matching what Into You did a couple of years ago, 'no tears left to cry' becomes the most recent ROTD debut with a medal position - of which, may I remind you, that in the era of Bad Romance, there have been only three others, the top 2 just above us right now, and Poker Face. 'no tears left to cry' I predicted would do this well since about this time last year, because it was an unstoppable Buzzjack darling of 2018 and Ariana has certainly never lacked for fans in these voting exercises before. I did think something like 7th would be the limit though, I thought 'Into You' was a fluke, and the current ROTD just wouldn't allow a new track quite that high.

But ever since it stormed the 2018 round it was very apparent that this song would be a future contender. And it's a very exciting one. I look forward to ROTD in the 2020s where the main question is 'which Ariana track will triumph'. Will it be like that? Only time will tell.

And before we move into the top 2, I am obliged to promote my sponsor and the obvious winner next year:

who can stop tones and i from dominating all rotd comers in the 2020s? you better get used to dancing, monkey happy.gif

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Nov 4 2019, 11:13 AM
Post #107
Group icon
Bad Romance leaving us on its possible, one two three four five... SIXTH win.... or Ariana getting her first with Into You?

Either way, I'm very on board with this top 2 this year, time has come around that Into You is probably the Ariana song I'd choose to put on first, and Bad Romance sounds pretty great these days too.

it's tones & I

2 - 3 - 2016 Ariana Grande - Into You ( 3 - 3 - 2 ) 438

1 - 1 - 2009 Lady Gaga - Bad Romance ( 1 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 1 - 6 - 2 - 2 - 1 - 1 ) 464

It's... it's... it's over. That's all she wrote for the most successful and most beloved song in Buzzjack's history. At least as far as ranking songs goes. And it leaves in a very nice way, a fair victory with a decent points gap, it's victory on the last try and my god with the three sets of double wins that looks like a very neat and satisfying chart run. It's come full circle, even if the circle was very small because it only ever left the top 2 ONCE in ten attempts, and that was only after it had won four of the five previous ones and must have been winner's fatigue.

I've come round to Bad Romance a lot over the last year, it does sound very brilliant even today. There was something about the Gaga breakout that few popstars have ever managed to replicate, it was controlled to attract attention but in a playful, fun and natural seeming way, Gaga burst onto the scene not as someone who had huge ties to the industry already but more like a genuine talent with a reputation for becoming a talking point. In recent years she's courted the limelight only to her benefit and has constantly come across as a funny and beloved celeb. At least to what I'm aware of her.

Into You I think has done very well, it'd be silly to count it out of a win especially as its biggest competition is leaving. Great pop song, always gets me feeling like I want to move and as I said above, my favourite Ariana song through strength of fun factor. Very possible next year could finish off that 3-2-1 run, or maybe Ariana's best years are behind her and she'll fall short. Who knows?

Many thanks once again to my helpers, Bre, Rush, Jupiter and Sam, for all their work in adding up when necessary and their well-written commentaries. If at any point anyone wants to help out with future editions of ROTD just let me know via PM or otherwise, I'd be very grateful for whatever you can offer. And thank you everyone for voting, commenting on movements and helping make this a success once again, and apologies for halting it, it sometimes takes a while to finish. And now I'm signing off and out of the chart forum. Until June, boys and girls and everyone inbetween.

Top 100 in full:

1 Lady Gaga - Bad Romance
2 Ariana Grande - Into You
3 Ariana Grande - no tears left to cry
4 Carly Rae Jepsen - Run Away With Me
5 Rita Ora - Anywhere
6 Robyn - Dancing On My Own
7 Rihanna (feat. Calvin Harris) - We Found Love
8 Ariana Grande - One Last Time
9 M83 - Midnight City
10 CHVRCHES - The Mother We Share
11 Loreen - Euphoria
12 Katy B - Crying For No Reason
13 Gotye (feat. Kimbra) - Somebody That I Used To Know
14 Swedish House Mafia - Don't You Worry Child
15 Lana Del Rey - Video Games
16 Daft Punk (feat. Pharrell) - Get Lucky
17 Lorde - Green Light
18 Katy Perry - Teenage Dream
19 Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know?
20 Dua Lipa - New Rules
21 Lady Gaga - Poker Face
22 Clean Bandit (feat. Jess Glynne) - Rather Be
23 Alan Walker - Faded
24 Of Monsters And Men - Little Talks
25 Muse - Uprising
26 Lady Gaga - The Edge Of Glory
27 Calvin Harris - I'm Not Alone
28 Rihanna - Only Girl (In The World)
29 Chase & Status (feat. Liam Bailey) - Blind Faith
30 Years & Years - Shine
31 Little Mix - Touch
32 Kylie Minogue - Get Outta My Way
33 Fifth Harmony (feat. Ty Dolla $ign) - Work from Home
34 Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Shallow
35 The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition
36 Christine & The Queens - Tilted / Christine
37 xx - On Hold
38 Rihanna (feat. Drake) - What's My Name
39 Girls Aloud - Untouchable
40 Mark Ronson (feat. Bruno Mars) - Uptown Funk
41 Lilly Wood And The Prick - Prayer In C (Robin Schulz Remix)
42 Lana Del Rey vs Cedric Gervais - Summertime Sadness
43 Jennifer Lopez (feat. Pitbull) - On The Floor
44 Lily Allen - The Fear
45 Little Mix - Move
46 Ariana Grande (feat. Zedd) - Break Free
47 Lady Gaga - Alejandro
48 Paramore - Still Into You
49 Demi Lovato - Cool For The Summer
50 Ellie Goulding - Figure 8
51 Rihanna - Diamonds
52 Dua Lipa - Be The One
53 Avicii (feat. Rita Ora) - Lonely Together
54 Taylor Swift - Style
55 Little Boots - Remedy
56 Years & Years - King
57 Adele - Rolling In The Deep
58 Lady Gaga & Beyoncé - Telephone
59 David Guetta (feat. Sia) - Titanium
60 Ariana Grande - breathin
61 HAIM - Falling
62 Clean Bandit (feat. Zara Larsson) - Symphony
63 Rudimental - Feel The Love
64 Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa - One Kiss
65 Bastille - Pompeii
66 Porter Robinson - Language
67 Lana Del Rey - Born To Die
68 Grimes - Flesh Without Blood
69 Calvin Harris (feat. HAIM) - Pray To God
70 Florence & The Machine - Dog Days Are Over
71 Edward Maya (feat. Vika Jigulina) - Stereo Love
72 Mr. Probz - Waves (Robin Schulz Remix)
73 Ariana Grande - God is a woman
74 Weeknd (feat. Daft Punk) - Starboy
75 Disclosure (feat. Sam Smith) - Latch
76 Azealia Banks - 212
77 Disclosure (feat. AlunaGeorge) - White Noise
78 Kungs vs Cookin On 3 Burners - This Girl
79 Foster The People - Pumped Up Kicks
80 Chase & Status (feat. Plan B) - End Credits
81 Clean Bandit (feat. Anne-Marie & Sean Paul) - Rockabye
82 Agnes - Release Me
83 Example - Changed The Way You Kiss Me
84 Janelle Monáe - Make Me Feel
85 Camilla Cabello (feat. Young Thug) - Havana
86 Adele - Set Fire To The Rain
87 Marina & The Diamonds - Primadonna
88 Taylor Swift - Blank Space
89 Calvin Harris & Disciples - How Deep Is Your Love
90 Sia - Chandelier
91 Avicii - Levels
92 Katy Perry (feat. Juicy J) - Dark Horse
93 Mark Ronson (feat. Miley Cyrus) - Nothing Breaks Like A Heart
94 Lady Gaga - Judas
95 Kiesza - Hideaway
96 Ellie Goulding - Anything Could Happen
97 Adele - Hello
98 Major Lazer (feat. DJ Snake & MŘ) - Lean On
99 Robyn - Honey
100 The 1975 - Chocolate
101 Taylor Swift - Wildest Dreams

+Quote this post
seven.
post Nov 4 2019, 11:41 AM
Post #108
Group icon
i can only do one normal thing a day
User: 14,428
Midnight City in 9th oh my *.* still sounds glorious eight years later (also CHVRCHES getting a third year in the top 10 is crazy, very well deserved)

credit to the voters btw, every song in the top 10 is legit GREAT

Bad Romance bowing out the only way it should *.* rotd won't quite feel the same without that in contention

Thanks Iz as always for running this + Jupiter/Sam helping with the results !

+Quote this post
ElectroBoy
post Nov 4 2019, 11:59 AM
Post #109
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Thanks for the run down - always fun to do this and participate even smile.gif

New Winner next year!

+Quote this post
Jade
post Nov 4 2019, 01:08 PM
Post #110
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
So pleased that 'Bad Romance' held on to the crown for its final year! She would've got top marks from me if I'd not been a flop and remembered to vote in the final round, so no changing of the winner here. Ariana killing it *.* with 'Bad Romance' out of the equation I guess it's potentially hers for the taking next year!

Thank you for the hard work put into this as ever!

+Quote this post
danG
post Nov 4 2019, 01:58 PM
Post #111
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
We Found Love is once again my fave of the top 10 but Bad Romance winning one last time is pleasing to see. it's a lot better than Into You anyhow.
great to see Anywhere top 5 too, hopefully that can beat all the Ari tracks next year.
thanks Iz and everyone else.

+Quote this post
Brer
post Nov 4 2019, 03:43 PM
Post #112
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
I'll have a proper read through and comment on this later (sorry I did what I do like every year and fell behind and bailed on the thread oops x) but... I can't begrudge 'Bad Romance' its final win, let me just say I'm looking forward to something else getting a look in next year. Not that I dislike 'Bad Romance'.

Also you seem to have missed out #9?

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Nov 4 2019, 04:11 PM
Post #113
Group icon
Well then I shall REITERATE for FACETIOUS people that one of the best songs in existence by award winning and superior to brefaves act M83 is at #9.

+Quote this post
ElectroBoy
post Nov 4 2019, 04:12 PM
Post #114
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Tones and Iz @ Nov 4 2019, 04:11 PM) *
Well then I shall REITERATE for FACETIOUS people that one of the best songs in existence by award winning and superior to brefaves act M83 is at #9.

Theme tune to Made in Chelsea too

This post has been edited by ElectroBoy: Nov 4 2019, 04:12 PM

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Nov 10 2019, 07:35 PM
Post #115
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
I was hoping that Anywhere would sneak it over the two Ari tracks, but this is a solid result too! Into You absolutely deserves to be streets above OLT - I understand the emotional weight of that one but I've never thought the track actually suited that message. Gags winning again I'm here for. Thanks to Iz for the colossal amount of work put into hosting this and the fab commentaries - and for helping me get involved, its been a blast to be behind the scenes a little! Til next year~

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Nov 11 2019, 10:47 AM
Post #116
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
pretty disappointing top 10 except Gaga and Robyn
definitely too much Ariana
there were better songs in the 11-20 section (Gotye, Lana, Lorde)

+Quote this post
ElectroBoy
post Aug 4 2020, 08:54 AM
Post #117
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
... just wondered if this was returning this year (or if I've missed it).

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Aug 4 2020, 09:12 AM
Post #118
Group icon
I was hoping no one would ask that kink.gif

I can't run it this year - a combination of not wanting to face doing it yet again and having to focus on other stuff. If anyone else wants to run a version of it this year they are welcome to with my blessing, otherwise I might shift it to doing it once every two years so if I continue to run it I look forward to doing it rather than have a feeling of dread.

+Quote this post
ElectroBoy
post Aug 4 2020, 09:22 AM
Post #119
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Iz~ @ Aug 4 2020, 10:12 AM) *
I was hoping no one would ask that kink.gif

I can't run it this year - a combination of not wanting to face doing it yet again and having to focus on other stuff. If anyone else wants to run a version of it this year they are welcome to with my blessing, otherwise I might shift it to doing it once every two years so if I continue to run it I look forward to doing it rather than have a feeling of dread.

Haha sorry biggrin.gif

It just came into my head this morning and couldn't remember at what point in the year it usually runs - no worries can imagine its a massive undertaking, I just wondered if I'd missed it smile.gif

+Quote this post
danG
post Aug 4 2020, 09:59 AM
Post #120
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
that’s fair enough, it does seem like a massive task. thanks for keeping it going over the last few years.

if people would like to have it run again this year (and I was particularly looking forward to this editor being one for the whole of the 2010s) I’d be happy to help run it though preferably not all by myself.

+Quote this post

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:37 PM