BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Blondie ● Pollinator, 11th studio album | Out 5th May
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post Apr 26 2017, 11:24 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Not seen a thread for this yet, nor could I find one going back, but Blondie's eleventh studio album Pollinator is set to be released a week on Friday (5th May).

Two singles, 'Fun' and 'Long Time', have been released so far, with some album tracks already available to listen to.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Apr 26 2017, 11:30 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Obviously, Debbie Harry's voice isn't as strong as it once was, but I think she's worked with what she's got well and the actual music itself has been very strong. Blondie definitely seem to be proving with this album that they are very much a band who are invested and interested in still creating great music. I've found their post-'Maria' music to be quite hit and miss but it feels like this album could be jam packed with catchy songs. Such enthusiasm in the music seems to be reflected in the marketing of this album too, as we've received videos for both singles - videos where time and effort has actually been put into them - and they seem to be getting huge support from Radio 2. Fingers crossed they could actually receive a Top 10 album this time around!

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post May 2 2017, 03:40 AM
Post #3
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
Intrigued to hear the Sia-written track. They've gone all in with decent collaborators on this one.

They've had some good tracks from their last 2 albums in the 2010s; What I Heard from Panic of Girls and Put Some Color On You from Ghosts of Download are both solid.

+Quote this post
Tombo
post May 2 2017, 01:57 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543
Wow, Blondie releasing new music in 2017, I'll check this out when I am free!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post May 3 2017, 04:13 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

It's a shame to hear Debbie Harry struggling with the classics ('Atomic' and 'Maria' are also far too big for her) but the rest of the band were fantastic, especially Clem Burke on the drums! Debbie did well on the new song though.

+Quote this post
Inna Selez
post May 5 2017, 07:13 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 23,143
Well the album is out officially today. And I think it's pretty good. I`m happy they made 11th album.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post May 5 2017, 08:57 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

'Call Me' in acoustic form seems to be a better match for Debbie's current vocal range than it does in its original rock form. It feels Debbie does still have a sense of tune even if she's adapted the vocals to explore her lower, less powerful range. But I enjoyed the performance a lot.

Also performed 'YMCA':

Not heard the album in full yet but I did listen to some previews and I'm liking what I hear. I have heard 'Fragments' in full and I love that one - it reminds me of Bowie's later work; definitely one to check out!

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post May 8 2017, 04:14 PM
Post #8
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666
Have to listen to this. Parallel Lines is one of my favourite albums from the 70's.

I have Parallel Lines (both 180gm vinyl repressing from 2015 and 2011 Daily Mail CD press in card sleeve), Denis (1996 CD comp), Eat To The Beat (original UK vinyl pressing) and Best Of Blondie (vinyl)

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post May 8 2017, 05:04 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
#4 in the mids with 7.6k sold so far! cheer.gif I suspect it will sell little for the rest of the week that's already much more than I expected for the full week!

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post May 8 2017, 06:45 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2
I caught up with the Jools Holland show over the weekend Clem Burke was excellent on the Drums, their sound really sounded back to their original roots, Fun was a fun record, Call Me sounded a bit rough in places, overall they weren't bad. Ordered the album from Amazon to keep my Blondie Collection updated.

Its a shame 3 members of the original group are no longer with them, Frank Infante, Nigel Harrison and Jimmy Destri

+Quote this post
Inna Selez
post May 10 2017, 06:58 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 23,143
Watch Blondie Play Bouncy 'Long Time' on 'The Tonight Show'

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post May 11 2017, 08:51 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Great performance on Jimmy Fallon; 'Long Time' really plays to Debbie's strengths. Looking fab too! I'm really enjoying Blondie's presence recently, performing on televised slots and proving they still have such a magical aura about them.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post May 16 2017, 04:28 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
So the album remained at #4 and sold 12,536 copies! cheer.gif Just one position away from matching the debut of their 1999 comeback album. This is the sort of territory they should be charting in, not the disastrous performances of their previous three albums. Set for a bit of a fall this week but could remain Top 20 which I'd be very pleased with.

Album also debuted at #63 in the US - unlike here, not something to shout about itself, but it's a much better showing than their last three albums as well. 'Fun' was also #1 on the US Dance Club Songs chart.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Jul 3 2017, 12:10 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Blondie have announced they shall tour four dates in the UK this November:

Saturday 11 - Manchester - O2 Apollo

Monday 13 - Birmingham - Barclaycard Arena

Tuesday 14 - Glasgow - SSE Hydro

Thursday 16 - London - O2 Brixton Academy

Tickets go on sale this Friday (7th).

I woke up to this news on my Facebook this morning and I have the sudden desire to go. Never been to a proper concert before to be honest and Blondie are one of my favourite acts, so they seem a pretty good act to lose my "touring virginity" to, so to speak! I was really intrigued by their collaborative tour with Garbage actually, but that's only an American tour by the looks of things.

The Birmingham date would probably work best for me, I think.

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post Jul 3 2017, 03:00 PM
Post #15
Group icon
I've seen Blondie once when they played at Rochester Castle on my home turf, which was pretty lucky in a way, I didn't have to travel that far, Rochester is 2 towns away from me where I live. They are really great live, mind you that was a few years back now.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Jul 4 2017, 02:58 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Debbie Harry can be a little hit and miss when it comes to the vocals but I think Blondie as a band still have an incredible sense of stage presence and charisma. I could imagine they'd be great to watch live and, even though there's no indication that they are going to be disbanding any time soon, I do have the thought in my mind that this could be the last opportunity I could get to go see them.

I'm a bit split whether to go to the Manchester or Birmingham concert - the date of the latter is more convenient but the former is just a simple train journey away.

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post Jul 4 2017, 04:24 PM
Post #17
Group icon
QUOTE(liamk97 @ Jul 4 2017, 03:58 PM) *
Debbie Harry can be a little hit and miss when it comes to the vocals but I think Blondie as a band still have an incredible sense of stage presence and charisma. I could imagine they'd be great to watch live and, even though there's no indication that they are going to be disbanding any time soon, I do have the thought in my mind that this could be the last opportunity I could get to go see them.

I'm a bit split whether to go to the Manchester or Birmingham concert - the date of the latter is more convenient but the former is just a simple train journey away.

Let's put this way, if you want to lose your touring virginity laugh.gif it will be special, because I don't think they will tour again, and Blondie are just an iconic band, you could say to your own kids I've seen them live, and you will never forget it. Whatever venue you decide, better make a quick decision as one venue could sell out.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Jul 4 2017, 04:33 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I'm definitely going to go for it now, I feel I need to start living a little and it does feel this could be the last opportunity to see them together. I think I've decided on Manchester - it's easy for me to get to, it just means I'll have to book work off but that's not really a problem this far in advance. Tickets go out on Friday so I'll make sure I'm ready to purchase tickets!

On another note, I see Blondie are just about to kick off their Rage and Rapture Tour with Garbage in the US - I'd love it if they could bring this to the UK because I'm a fan of lots of Garbage music and I think seeing these two incredible women of rock come together would be such an experience.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Jul 5 2017, 09:39 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Booked my ticket on the pre-sale! Going to Manchester! cheer.gif

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post Jul 8 2017, 11:51 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: he/him
User: 19,585
Too Much has been chosen as the next single.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:28 PM