BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> At last some compassion from the Tories.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
PeaceMob
post 5th October 2016, 05:05 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,342

^
I agree, finally we might just have a Prime Minister that listens to the ordinary people, Theresa May looking at that 17.4 million voters who voted for Brexit and thinking I want some of that and if she delivers on what she says then she is going to win BIG in 2020.

This post has been edited by PeaceMob: 5th October 2016, 05:06 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 5th October 2016, 05:37 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(Common Sense @ Oct 5 2016, 04:56 PM) *
Brilliant speech from May today. She's looking at a landslide similar to 1997 at the election in 2020.

Oh, which bits of Mein Kampf did she use then?

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 5th October 2016, 11:12 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(PeaceMob @ Oct 5 2016, 06:05 PM) *
^
I agree, finally we might just have a Prime Minister that listens to the ordinary people, Theresa May looking at that 17.4 million voters who voted for Brexit and thinking I want some of that and if she delivers on what she says then she is going to win BIG in 2020.

So, if "the ordinary people" said they wanted to double spending on the NHS, reduce VAT to 5% and abolish income tax, should the government go ahead and do it?

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 6th October 2016, 07:39 AM
Post #24
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596

Well they're adopting the rest of the UKIP manifesto, so may as well.

+Quote this post
PeaceMob
post 6th October 2016, 08:01 AM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Oct 6 2016, 12:12 AM) *
So, if "the ordinary people" said they wanted to double spending on the NHS, reduce VAT to 5% and abolish income tax, should the government go ahead and do it?

I was talking about immigration which is probably the number one issue for British people today, for example ordinary people want full control over our borders, proper vetting for anyone that migrates to the UK, and the exploitative cheap labour which undercuts jobs for British people to be seriously dealt with by the government. Theresa May has talked about all of these things and more and if she delivers then I'm sure a heck of a lot of people will vote for her.

And do tell me Suedehead2 where exactly this quote could be found in Mein Kampf:

Quote from Theresa May's speech yesterday
I want us to be a country where it doesn’t matter where you were born, who your parents are, where you went to school, what your accent sounds like, what god you worship, whether you’re a man or a woman, gay or straight, or black or white.
All that should matter is the talent you have and how hard you’re prepared to work.

This post has been edited by PeaceMob: 6th October 2016, 08:16 AM

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 6th October 2016, 09:42 AM
Post #26
Group icon
DROTTNING!
User: 480

Let's see how happy everyone is having immigration policy as their number one issue once we're out of the Single Market, with all the extra charges that entails.

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 6th October 2016, 09:46 AM
Post #27
Group icon

Many people at the top of this government have got used over the last six years to making economic figures say what they want them to and covering up the particularly damning ones. It'll be a challenge to keep that up once we're out of the Single Market, but I'm sure they'll give it a go.

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 6th October 2016, 09:55 AM
Post #28
Group icon
DROTTNING!

It's quite difficult to cover up the price of someone's shopping basket going up by about 15% and the economic consequences of being subject to WTO tariffs, to say the least.

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 6th October 2016, 10:01 AM
Post #29
Group icon

This is true. There was a good Stephen Bush article the other day about how it's likely that immigrants and minorities will still end up being blamed for the inevitable economic consequences.

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 6th October 2016, 10:15 AM
Post #30
Group icon
DROTTNING!

Start the countdown for 'it's the fault of Remain voters for talking down the economy'.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 6th October 2016, 12:15 PM
Post #31
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Oct 5 2016, 06:37 PM) *
Oh, which bits of Mein Kampf did she use then?

!!!

I've been trying to catch up on some of the stuff i've missed while being on holiday and the Third Reich was certainly what came to mind. f***ing frightful woman.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 6th October 2016, 04:15 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Her speech was just meaningless drivel with handy populist phrases designed to appeal to people who fall for that sort of thing. She's trying to grab the ukip voter now they are all up for grabs.
All pms make vague speeches and generally fail to deliver even the vaguest approximation of what their vague speeches delivered. For a start bankers are already campaigning not be part of the halt on immigrants and free Labour movement. Tories will do their utmost to give them special treatment while hammering lower paid immigrants so UK born benefit people can be forced to do the shifty jobs they are willing to take on.

Grammar schools? Hammer the poor. Build houses? Heard that every 5 year's. Infrastructure? Be specific. What where when.

Just words. Going to be too busy trying to limit brexit damage.

Personally I lobe the metropolitan liberal attitudes. Small minded little Englanders can pies off back yo the 19th century where they belong. If only time travel existed then they could see for themselves what being English means - note not Scottish Welsh or Irish.

+Quote this post
Danny
post 6th October 2016, 06:37 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 457

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Oct 6 2016, 10:42 AM) *
Let's see how happy everyone is having immigration policy as their number one issue once we're out of the Single Market, with all the extra charges that entails.

The people who are now saying leaving "the Single Market" will be a disaster are largely the same people who said there would be an immediate economic shock and market crash straight in the aftermath of a Brexit vote, even before the formal process started. Not to mention they were talking about "extra charges" and "increases at the checkout" if we stayed out of the Euro all those years ago.

Anywho, allowing myself to get steadily more optimistic about May. I did fear at first her talk about being for the ordinary person and finally ending big business fatcats' destructive hold on our economy was just the type of bullshit that Cameron and Osborne spun, but the fact she's saying it so often, and starting to back it up with some concrete policies, presumably means she really is serious. If the Labour "centrists" had any self-awareness, they'd be questioning why a Tory PM is coming out with a more left-wing agenda than the manifesto they forced on Labour at the last election -- but no doubt they'll continue to avoid that kind of self-analysis and just carry on whining about Corbyn not being on course to win all 650 seats at the next election, or something.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 6th October 2016, 06:59 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

One of the reasons the market hasn't crashed is because the value of the pound has plummeted instead. As for the economy in general, the Bank of England have spent a cool £70bn making sure it remains reasonably stable. They have also been forced into a cut in interest rates to steady the ship.

+Quote this post
Kath
post 6th October 2016, 07:03 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,980

Can't stand the woman. She's just as bad as every other Conservative leader. So much for people 'having more control over their lives' when her government has overturned Lancashire County Council's decision to block Fracking.

+Quote this post
Addy!
post 6th October 2016, 07:11 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666

QUOTE(Kath @ Oct 6 2016, 09:03 PM) *
Can't stand the woman. She's just as bad as every other Conservative leader. So much for people 'having more control over their lives' when her government has overturned Lancashire County Council's decision to block Fracking.

Kath!!! ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 6th October 2016, 07:45 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

QUOTE(Kath @ Oct 6 2016, 08:03 PM) *

yay Kath! and ditto...

as for the "remoaners" doomladen prophecies, as Suedey says, things pretty much have already plummeted and NOTHING HAS HAPPENED YET!!!! This is without invoking article 50, without any country agreeing to any trade deals (or more likely not for 3 years and more). The City Of London banking is a crisis in waiting depending on what the EU decides to do (NOT the UK government), that's the biggest UK earner. Never mind all the British goods that may or may not have an actual market in 5 years time....

+Quote this post
PeaceMob
post 6th October 2016, 10:25 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

The UK has the fastest growing economy in 2016 out of the G7 countries and that includes after the country decided to leave the EU, so when liberal loonies say things has plummeted in the UK because of Brexit, what exactly are you seeing?

This post has been edited by PeaceMob: 6th October 2016, 10:26 PM

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 6th October 2016, 10:30 PM
Post #39
Group icon
DROTTNING!

QUOTE(Danny @ Oct 6 2016, 07:37 PM) *
The people who are now saying leaving "the Single Market" will be a disaster are largely the same people who said there would be an immediate economic shock and market crash straight in the aftermath of a Brexit vote, even before the formal process started.

Yes, there was an immediate economic shock and market crash. The main reason you didn't feel it was because the Bank of England immediately put in the largest wave of quantitative easing in British history and pumped £70bn into the economy. That we haven't had a sudden massive spike in inflation despite that massive stimulus to the economy is the giveaway of how much of an economic shock the vote to leave was.

What you're saying is the equivalent of crashing the car and going "see, I told you that was fine!" because the airbags deployed. The part where we start driving again and notice the car isn't working quite like it was before isn't too far off. When retailers' hedging contracts (i.e. fixed agreements to buy foreign goods at a certain price for a 12 month period so they don't get hit by short-term price shocks and have the chance to anticipate any longer-term price changes) expire in January, we're in for a very nasty shock if the pound is still trading at 15% less than it was pre-referendum - as it has done consistently for the last few months.

Not to mention they were talking about "extra charges" and "increases at the checkout" if we stayed out of the Euro all those years ago.

Well no, not quite. The argument for joining a common currency for the efficiency of avoiding currency conversion charges isn't an argument that there will be "extra charges" if you stay out of the currency - it's an argument that charges that are currently already paid to convert currency would no longer exist. It's also a pretty poor argument for changing currency if that's the only benefit you can point to, as it's a tiny benefit when compared with the far bigger economic effects of being in a monetary union but not a fiscal one, or entering monetary union with a lot of different nations on different economic cycles. Hence why it didn't really fly in the end.

Additionally, the Venn diagram of people who think leaving the Single Market will have pretty calamitous economic effects and those who insisted our economy would be wrecked if we didn't join the euro is...very much not a circle. You'll notice Tony Blair and Gordon Brown were not in favour of joining the euro in the end and are similarly not in favour of us leaving the Single Market. Similarly, half of the Leave campaign spent the referendum arguing we could leave the EU but stay in the Single Market. They weren't doing that for their health.

We're not talking about hypotheticals here - we know exactly how much extra WTO export tariffs will cost when trading with Single Market members if we leave. Having to pay extra for the exact same product you were buying before (which is now also at a price disadvantage to competitors in the Single Market) has big knock-on effects, to put it lightly.

Anywho, allowing myself to get steadily more optimistic about May. I did fear at first her talk about being for the ordinary person and finally ending big business fatcats' destructive hold on our economy was just the type of bullshit that Cameron and Osborne spun, but the fact she's saying it so often, and starting to back it up with some concrete policies, presumably means she really is serious. If the Labour "centrists" had any self-awareness, they'd be questioning why a Tory PM is coming out with a more left-wing agenda than the manifesto they forced on Labour at the last election -- but no doubt they'll continue to avoid that kind of self-analysis and just carry on whining about Corbyn not being on course to win all 650 seats at the next election, or something.

Nixon/China.

they'd be questioning why a Tory PM is coming out with a more left-wing agenda than the manifesto they forced on Labour at the last election

Also, there's a reason they're calling her Mayliband. It isn't a 'more left-wing agenda' - it's one or two of the same policies (but not a mansion tax, nor a 50p top rate, nor a cap on energy prices...) mixed in with a platform of taking us out of a trade zone so we can reduce immigration to a trickle. Additional spending is also given tremendous leeway by the fact we've just had a big economic shock. It's no great mystery why they trust the Tories to turn on the spending taps at a time like this but not Labour - the Tories didn't spend the last six years looking like they were champing at the bit to start increasing spending massively, regardless of whether the economic climate was good or not.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 6th October 2016, 10:34 PM
Post #40
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

Not that you appear to let facts get in your way, but that only includes 6 days of the Brexit aftermath. Q3 statistics are unsurprisingly (given it only ended a week ago) yet to be released and they hold a better picture of any impact the vote will have had.

Also, if the Steling swan-diving to a 31 year low in June and then going lower again this past week, causing us once more to slip behind France in the ranking of Global economies, while staying at a exceedingly low rate for the past quarter isn't plummeting then what is?

edit - this is aimed at that peace mob creature, not you tyron. Although you probably gathered that given that you have a functioning brain.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 05:17 AM