BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Record Of The Decade - Results Thread
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Theonix
post 11th August 2018, 02:57 PM
Post #101
Group icon
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
User: 8,661

10th feels right for "New Rules". It's an excellent pop song but does feel slightly out of place in my personal playlist for my final votes. I imagine it will drop significantly and both "Anywhere" and "Green Light" will overtake it next year.

A shame that "Euphoria" doesn't seem to be conquering this competition like we all thought it would! 9th is still a huge achievement for it though, 6 years after Eurovision ohmy.gif

I would have hoped that "We Found Love" would have made the top 5, or at least beat "Run Away With Me" here so it's a shame to see it underperform once again.

I really can't call the winner now! I would be happy with any of the top 4 but my personal fave is "One Last Time" wub.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brer
post 11th August 2018, 04:10 PM
Post #102
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Yay I didn't jinx Coldplay! Absolutely wonderful to see that going out on such a big high (I actually had it in my mind that it was a top 5 hit in this in the past but I must just be remembering its status as 'highest placed song with male vocals' - when was the last time such a song came top 5 in the ROTD anyway?)

I do like 'Run Away With Me' but not quite to the extent of most of this forum, I'd say I'm glad it's not won again but then I probably like it a similar amount to all of the remaining songs as well. 7/10 pop songs rule the roost at the end of the day. Probably backing Robyn out of what's left, I don't think I voted for any of them.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 11th August 2018, 09:47 PM
Post #103
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

4 6 2010 Robyn - Dancing On My Own 371 ( 20 - 7 - 10 - 15 - 7 - 1 - 6 - 4 )

Too late to knock these out? Never. I would have done them earlier today or even last night but I ran out of steam last night and then was out all day today. ANYWAY, let's get this finished and you can all comment on the results when you awake on Sunday if you're not around now x

At first in this adding up procedure, Robyn was winning quite handily with Dancing On My Own, and I thought there was a good chance that she'd move back to where she was in 2016, winning and blasting all pointless and boring covers that never existed into oblivion. But obviously she's ended up below Ariana x2 and Gaga, all of which have scored over 400 points. The former winner (incidentally, look how many winners drop 1-6, isn't that so funny and meaningful?) could only move back up to 4th this time in the end. With her star fading into the past, will Robyn add another win to her name before time is up? Being of course the only artist to have won ROTD with more than one song, Dancing On My Own might be in it. I've gone off it myself recently, but for those who love it, a well acclaimed piece of glorious synthpop, this run is looking great, and I'm sure it'll look great for the two years it has left.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 11th August 2018, 09:56 PM
Post #104
Group icon

3 3 2016 Ariana Grande - Into You 410 ( 3 - 3 )

I'm not sure why, I always thought of Into You as the Poker Face of the Ariana behemoths. As in, while One Last Time would retain its popularity for years to come like Bad Romance, the high debut of Into You would be a bit of a fluke and it would drop to a still respectable but more anonymous position in the ROTD finals. That's not a comment on its quality at all as Into You has proved to be wonderful and stay wonderful (despite not voting for it it wasn't far off at all), thus giving Ariana a really really unusually high percentage of pop hits that I am totally on board with. Clearly its wide appeal has caused it to hold up to do exactly the same as last year and at another point in the adding up process, after Dancing On My Own had been overtaken, I was sure Into You was winning this time. However, it's fallen a few points short.

It's not got any special message, it's perhaps not memorable outside of being a pop moment for anything other than its Elvis and Mariah references, it's just a really strong song and standout dance floor jam that's quite undeniable. And I'm all for ROTD recognising great music quality, that's ultimately why we spend so much time voting in it after all.

Now for the showdown. One Ariana song remains, One Last Time could go all the way after only making it to 7th last year, and the old challenger Bad Romance could also possibly return to the top. Which one? There are few enough points between them that one vote could have changed it.

+Quote this post
coi
post 11th August 2018, 09:59 PM
Post #105
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240

Good to see Into You stay in the top three! Always thought it was ultimately gonna be between these two for the ROTD title, hoping for One Last Time but fearing it's gonna be another victory for Bad Romance.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 11th August 2018, 10:04 PM
Post #106
Group icon

QUOTE(Bré @ Aug 11 2018, 05:10 PM) *
Yay I didn't jinx Coldplay! Absolutely wonderful to see that going out on such a big high (I actually had it in my mind that it was a top 5 hit in this in the past but I must just be remembering its status as 'highest placed song with male vocals' - when was the last time such a song came top 5 in the ROTD anyway?)

To answer this question, I believe it was The Killers with Mr Brightside on its last appearance in the game, all the way back in 2014 (after 5 straight years in the top 6, mind you). I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor (in 2015) is the only other song with solely male vocals to have been top 10 in the interim, although Little Talks/Hips Don't Lie (2016) and Umbrella and What's My Name last year have been ensuring that it hasn't been a solely female affair since.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 11th August 2018, 10:21 PM
Post #107
Group icon

2 7 2015 Ariana Grande - One Last Time 424 ( 182 - 7 - 2 )

I would have loved it for One Last Time to go all the way. And the good news is that there's still plenty of time for it to grab a winning position in an upcoming year. I still feel incredibly emotional when I listen to this and think about the lyrics, and it is still most probably my favourite Ariana song and one of the best of the last few years. Becoming a radio staple after its resurgence last year always strikes me as a great act of defiance and tribute, and it really feels like the UK has taken this song in as a modern classic. Longing lyrics that cry out for affection, Ariana getting to show off her powerful vocals, and production that builds up to a tantalisingly great climax, it's the clear classic from My Everything and certainly the Ariana song I enjoy listening to the most, I'm always good for a good bout of emotion. It may not have won this time, but I would definitely not count it out from ever winning this. I predict 2020 will be its year.

1 2 2009 Lady Gaga - Bad Romance 447 ( 1 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 1 - 6 - 2 - 2 - 1 )

I partly say that because, with it due to rotate out after next year, I feel like 2019's ROTD will be almost a foregone conclusion as Bad Romance gets the almightiest of ROTD sendoffs. But that hasn't happened yet, and first, we need to discuss how it returned to the top after a record three years away. I was almost ready to never use my new quote I randomly thought of: 'ROTD is a simple game. Everyone votes on the songs of the last 10 years they like, and at the end, Bad Romance wins'. Or more precisely I was ready to drop talking about how it always wins because it had seemed to... stop. But I figured it would win again before it left us, because it challenges so well every year (and showed clearly that it was ready to win in this year's version of the 2009 round), and that year where it fell to 6th aside, which I am willing to bet was largely a huge bout of winner's fatigue, has never not been in the conversation to win. Enough voters give it high points that never seem dulled by other songs overtaking that it's going to find a way to win somehow. And listening to it again, I do get it, it is a triumphant sounding pop song and still sounds perfect to listen to today. Perfectly of its era, but not dated or embarrassing, and even for those who aren't pop fans, a pop song they'd probably call enjoyable.

I'll take this, and it's on next year, Gaga. Ariana will be back with a vengeance, with not just one song, not just two; I'm willing to bet No Tears Left To Cry will be in the mix as well.

Thanks for voting everyone, I took a little longer than I expected to run the results, but I'm glad I managed to finish them in the way I wanted to. I'll see you all next year.

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post 11th August 2018, 10:29 PM
Post #108
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155

I could see an Ariana top 3 next year tbh

+Quote this post
danG
post 11th August 2018, 10:30 PM
Post #109
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

well I did say Bad Romance was probably due a win again by now, though I did predict Ari to do so. it is a rather great pop song though, its chart run says a lot about how well it has aged especially compared to other songs of hers from the time.

I would probably put it above One Last Time though that winning following the tragic events of last year would have been rather fitting, and at least that has now out-peaked Into You here and should hopefully stop that one from being a future winner (I don't dislike IY but it is quite inferior to OLT and rather overrated here).

I think Bad Romance's lead will be quite big next year as it will be its last chance in the contest!

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post 11th August 2018, 10:31 PM
Post #110
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155

Ariana really is the queen of #2 laugh.gif

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 11th August 2018, 10:38 PM
Post #111
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Oh now I thought I'd really gone off Bad Romance but I've just listened to it for the first time in a year or two and it's sounding much much better again now.

+Quote this post
coi
post 11th August 2018, 10:42 PM
Post #112
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240

Yet another chart where One Last Time lands at number two...

Still a remarkable achievement for Ariana to have two of the top three here, and she could indeed emerge as the favourite to win in 2020 once Bad Romance is out. Expecting a landslide for it next year though.

A great competition this year overall.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 11th August 2018, 11:04 PM
Post #113
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

Really not a fan of One Last Time so thrilled that it didn't win. Into You to kick it down next year pls.

Bad Romance is a fair winner altho its not one of my Gaga faves I have oofles of respect for it and can't imagine anyone else pulling it off as a single.

Robyn could well come back to challenge next year if her comeback takes off!

+Quote this post
Brer
post 12th August 2018, 01:14 AM
Post #114
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

QUOTE(Bré @ Aug 11 2018, 05:10 PM) *
Probably backing Robyn out of what's left, I don't think I voted for any of them.

I lied about this, I was thinking the Robyn song was still 'With Every Heartbeat'. 'Dancing On My Own' is actually my least favourite of the top 4. x

WD Gaga again, I can't deny that 'Bad Romance' is a great pop song, I think she has much better songs ('Judas' being basically an improved version of the same kind of song structure for one) but I can't begrudge that. I didn't like 'One Last Time' at all at the time it first came out but it has grown on me over time with the new implications following the Manchester attacks, I'd probably have preferred that to win out of the top 4, I'm sure it will eventually get there anyway, perhaps in 2 years when 'Bad Romance' is gone.

QUOTE(Iz @ Aug 11 2018, 11:04 PM) *
To answer this question, I believe it was The Killers with Mr Brightside on its last appearance in the game, all the way back in 2014 (after 5 straight years in the top 6, mind you). I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor (in 2015) is the only other song with solely male vocals to have been top 10 in the interim, although Little Talks/Hips Don't Lie (2016) and Umbrella and What's My Name last year have been ensuring that it hasn't been a solely female affair since.

Ahh now you say this I think I was actually just thinking of The Killers being in the top 5, not Coldplay! Well hooray for that. Now 'Viva La Vida' is gone I expect we might never see a solely male song in the top 10 of this again laugh.gif (nah I'm sure something will step up eventually, just not sure what).

Cheers for running this again Iz <3 and I made good on my promise to follow the results this time, yay xx

+Quote this post
Theonix
post 12th August 2018, 01:33 PM
Post #115
Group icon
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
User: 8,661

Predictable but excellent winner in "Bad Romance"! Great top 10 overall. Thanks again Iz for running this, it's been great to follow as always!

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 04:10 PM