BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Premier League Predictions 16/17
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Houdini
post Jul 30 2016, 11:09 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,725
So with just 2 weeks to go until the Premier League season. What do you think the positions will look like at the end of the season. Even if you just have a fleeting interest, it's good and fun to make rough predictions, purely to see who was right or wrong.

Premier League Table:

1. Manchester United
2. Manchester City
3. Chelsea
4. Arsenal
5. Liverpool
6. Tottenham Hotspur
7. Leicester City
8. West Ham
9. Stoke City
10. Everton
11. Southampton
12. Crystal Palace
13. West Brom
14. Watford
15. Swansea City
16. Middlesbrough
17. Sunderland
18. AFC Bournemouth
19. Hull City
20. Burnley

Points Total For The Champions: 83

Golden Boot Winner: Harry Kane

Player Of The Year: Henrikh Mkhitaryan (Paul Pogba if he actually signs for Manchester United)

First Manager To Get Sacked: Francesco Guidolin
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Jul 30 2016, 11:11 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053
Aha I was looking forward to this thread appearing! Will post some later today & see if I can flop as badly as I did last season laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Houdini
post Jul 30 2016, 11:17 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Yeah normally someone else would have created this thread by now but it looked like it wasn't going to happen so I did it before it was too late laugh.gif, the predictions were very hard this time after the incredible season that was 2015/16. Mine are just off the basis that Leicester are weaker than they were last season and despite having Pep as their manager Manchester City don't seem to have improved much or at all from last season and Manchester United have done the most notable business in the transfer market so far.

And Arsenal.............. are just Arsenal laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Jul 30 2016, 11:57 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Here we go then! (With full commentary to compound just how wrong I'll be!)

1. Man City - bit of a cop out but aside from their defence (which I'm sure they'll sort out) they still have the best squad. Pelligrini won in his first season so no reason why Pep can't (it pains me to say it)
2. Chelsea - think there'll be a huge turnaround for them. Decent signings, a very good manager & no European football to focus on
3. Man United - can't see us going the whole way but our primary aim is automatic CL qualification. We'll start strong but suffer a few wobbles along the way & don't think we'll be as consistent
4. Liverpool - a bit of a punt but it's Klopp's first full season so I feel he really has to aim for CL. After a shaky start there were some strong signs last season which should continue this year
5. Arsenal - controversial but I think this is finally the year they concede their grip on CL sparking Wenger's departure. They badly need a new striker & if they get one I may revise this prediction
6. Tottenham - yep they're bound to finish below Arsenal as per usual. Can't see them scaling the heights of last season & English's shite showing in Euro will continue to affect half of their team negatively early into the season
7. Everton - I really rate Koeman & think he'll be successful. They'll be fighting for Europe most of the season but just miss out late in. Lukaku to have his best season yet
8. Leicester - I certainly can't see them offering a worse title defence than Chelsea last season but all the extra games might take its toll on their squad. They'll start the season in the same form as last mind!
9. West Ham - might take a while for them to adjust to the new stadium but they'll have another solid season without quite managing the same levels as last
10. Stoke - about usual for them, fourth year for Hughes now so good stability & they have a strong squad, something tells me they'll have a good cup run which might distract from the league if they're not fighting for anything
11. Southampton - every season they seem to defy the odds & improve after selling all their best players and whilst I don't think they'll beat last season they should be comfortable again but just miss out on top half this time
12. Swansea - had a poor season last time but I don't see that repeating here. No relegation concerns & as long as they bring in a decent striker they'll play some good stuff under Guidolin
13. West Brom - as ever it won't be pretty but it'll be effective under Pulis. Grinding out results when required with the odd shock should see them never really have any relegation concerns
14. Middlesbrough - on paper should be fine. Great signings in Negredo & Valdés showing their intentions for a promoted team. They'll be the Bournemouth of this season & ultimately survive comfortably
15. Bournemouth - with a fit Callum Wilson they *should* do even better but that's seldom how the league works out. Still they have an enthusiastic young manager who will continue to impress by beating the odds again
16. Sunderland - there's only so many times you can survive by the skin of your teeth but something tells me they'll pull it out the bag again. If they keep Moyes all year they'll be fine but I'm not so sure he'll be given enough time. Another man to come in & the process will repeat...
17. Crystal Palace - I think they'll struggle this season with the form they were in through the second part of last season. Tends to carry over & they'll be in trouble but ultimately pull it out the bag as they still have individual matchwinners in their squad
18. Burnley - could be wrong & they survive comfortably but they'll be reliant of Andre Gray's goals for sure. I was wrong about Bournemouth last season but I'm not sure they have quite enough depth to survive (but they easily could do!)
19. Watford - all the consistent managerial changing will takes its toll eventually & I can see one or both of Deeney/Ighalo either moving or getting injured which will nullify their attack. They to be the "surprise" relegation
20. Hull - have to say right now I can't see anything that leads to me believe they'll survive. Injury plagued squad, no manager (at present) & very suspect owners don't give me much hope of them putting up much of a fight

Points Total For The Champions: 88

Golden Boot Winner: Sergio Aguero

Player Of The Year: Kevin De Bruyne

First Manager To Get Sacked: whoever Hull employ

This post has been edited by Ðøßßø: Jul 30 2016, 11:59 AM

+Quote this post
Rooney
post Jul 30 2016, 12:07 PM
Post #5
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88
1. Manchester City
2. Arsenal
3. Manchester United
4. Liverpool
5. Chelsea
6. Tottenham Hotspur
7. West Ham
8. Leicester City
9. Stoke City
10. Everton
11. Southampton
12. Crystal Palace
13. Watford
14. AFC Bournemouth
15. Swansea City
16. Middlesborough
17. Sunderland
18. Burnley
19. West Brom
20. Hull City

Top scorer: Aguero

First of all, I've changed my mind so much. The top 6 I feel is super close and then there's always the added extra of a real surprise package. I've gone for Man City, but I'm not super confident. It will be interesting to see how they adapt to 'death by football' and how teams try to counter it. I've a feeling their home games could range them being absolute hammerings to opposition teams, to lots of boos when things don't go their way. Arsenal are in a good position, if they sign a striker and another defender then I think they have a great shot of the league.

Manchester United.. I'm still not convinced. Mourinho will make them stronger in the short term, but all their positives from last year will disappear. I'm intrigued to see how it all works out, but still some way off being title winners for me. They will try and bin the Europa League off as quick as possible, but even so, playing Thursday-Sunday will really hurt them. Call me biased with Liverpool, but I think we will do okay. Maybe 5th, but I'm going to be really optimistic. Lots of time to prepare, and we were not far away from the Top 4 last year and have strengthened over the summer. If Sturridge stays fit for 80% of the year then can't see us not finishing in the top 4 personally.

Chelsea will turn in to the most boring team in the league, I think Spurs will initially struggle. They've strengthened their squad, but not their first XI. Would say all their competitors so far have strengthened both their squad and their first XI. This is where I think Spurs will struggle. IMO West Ham will be fine, but I think getting used to the new stadium will take some time, it depends on ow away teams capitalise on that.

After the top 7 it's largely anybodies game.. I think Leicester will do OK but playing in Europe will hurt them and there is no way they maintain that throughout the next year. Plus, they're Champions now. Everybody is going to want to beat them. Stoke will do fine, Everton will be better than last year but still average. Even if Watford do poor to begin with, they will loan half of Serie A come January. Bournemouth could struggle, but think they will be fine still. Same goes for Palace.

Relegation spots speak for themselves, Hull are certs to go down. No manager, no players.. recipe for disaster. Burnley again, they might pull a Bournemouth but not convinced so far. That said, I expect Andre Gray to have a fine season. My tip to go down is West Brom. They really struggled towards the end of last season and I can see the same again happening. I think Middlesborough will do OK, but again, they're risking a lot of a few hasbeens. Could go either way, and perhaps do a Hull in 2014/2015.

Exicted for the new season, think it will be a good one again. Just please, I don't want any Mourinho/Guardiola or Mourinho/Wenger rubbish. It's tiresome.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post Jul 30 2016, 12:14 PM
Post #6
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
Dobbo - I think Chelsea is a really interesting one. Conte is going to have them be brutal to play against and really slick on the counter attack. I think it could go either way really. I think their defence is still their weak spot, but no way I can see them being as poor as they were last year. That said, I think they could struggle. Ambitious, but wouldn't surprise me at all if Conte was the first manager to be sacked!

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Jul 30 2016, 12:21 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Oh I agree! So many top teams this year could go either way but Chelsea are the biggest unknowns. Conte could pull a Scolari or an Ancelotti (well not necessarily win it) so it will be interesting to follow. I do think lack of Europe will certainly help them, same for Liverpool in fact.

+Quote this post
Houdini
post Jul 30 2016, 06:43 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I think and hope it will be a good season but I doubt it will beat 2015/16. The 2015/16 season was the best in Premier League history in my opinion and it will be remembered for decades I think. Especially between Aug-Nov 2015 when every week was like a soap opera.

+Quote this post
Sarah
post Jul 31 2016, 12:13 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 763
1. Manchester United
2. Manchester City
3. Chelsea
4. Arsenal
5. Leicester City
6. Tottenham Hotspur
7. Liverpool
8. West Ham
9. Everton
10. Southampton
11. Stoke City
12. Bournemouth
13. Crystal Palace
14. Middlesbrough
15. Sunderland
16. West Brom
17. Swansea City
18. Burnley
19. Watford
20. Hull City

Points Total For The Champions: 90

Golden Boot Winner: Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Player Of The Year: Henrikh Mkhitaryan

First Manager To Get Sacked: Walter Mazzarri

+Quote this post
Cassidy
post Jul 31 2016, 03:40 PM
Post #10
Group icon
i'm massive
User: 41
QUOTE(Rooney @ Jul 30 2016, 01:07 PM) *
Manchester United.. I'm still not convinced.

After discussing football with you for ever ten years now, I'd be amazed to hear anything but these words ever come out of your mouth laugh.gif

+Quote this post
awardinary
post Jul 31 2016, 03:53 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587
1. Manchester United
2. Chelsea
3. Tottenham Hotspur
4. Manchester City
5. Arsenal
6. Liverpool
7. Leicester City
8. Middlesbrough
9. Everton
10. Stoke City
11. West Ham United
12. Watford
13. Swansea City
14. West Bromwich Albian
15. AFC Bournemouth
16. Crystal Palace
17. Sunderland
18. Southampton
19. Hull City
20. Burnley

Points Total For The Champions: 86

Golden Boot Winner: Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Player Of The Year: Paul Pogba

First Manager To Get Sacked: David Moyes (Sunderland)

+Quote this post
Rooney
post Jul 31 2016, 04:37 PM
Post #12
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
QUOTE(Cassidy @ Jul 31 2016, 04:40 PM) *
After discussing football with you for ever ten years now, I'd be amazed to hear anything but these words ever come out of your mouth laugh.gif

To be fair to myself, since Fergie has left, I have been largely spot on!

+Quote this post
Cassidy
post Jul 31 2016, 06:27 PM
Post #13
Group icon
i'm massive
User: 41
QUOTE(Rooney @ Jul 31 2016, 05:37 PM) *
To be fair to myself, since Fergie has left, I have been largely spot on!

No arguments from my end. Although I miss our defensive stability under Van Gaal already. #WeMissU

+Quote this post
Silas
post Jul 31 2016, 06:38 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
It's only pre-season and Jones has been on the pitch. If we sell that useless c**t we will be back on our way to a solid defence.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Aug 1 2016, 11:41 AM
Post #15
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
Sorry would have posted this sooner.

1. Manchester City
2. Chelsea
3. Manchester United
4. Liverpool
5. Arsenal
6. Tottenham Hotspur
7. West Ham United
8. Leicester City
8. Stoke City
9. Southampton
10. Crystal Palace
11. Everton
12. Swansea City
13. Watford
14. Middlesborough
15. West Brom
16. Bouremouth
17. Crystal Palace
18 Sunderland
19. Burnley
20. Hull City

Points Total For The Champions: 85

Golden Boot Winner: Sergio Aguero

Player Of The Year: Paul Pogba

First Manager To Get Sacked: David Moyes (Sunderland)

+Quote this post
jark
post Aug 2 2016, 07:44 PM
Post #16
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990
1. Manchester City
2. Arsenal
3. Liverpool
4. Manchester United
5. Chelsea
6. Spurs
7. Southampton
8. Leicester City
9. West Ham
10. Everton
11. Crystal Palace
12. Stoke City
13. Swansea
14. Sunderland
15. Middlesborough
16. West Brom
17. Bournemouth
18. Watford
19. Hull City
20. Burnley

Everything in the bottom half of the table looks extremely open. As does the top 5 tbqf. I predict Jose won't do as well as expected at United though.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Aug 2 2016, 07:45 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Unless Hull City sort out their issues then they are odds-on for relegation and last this season.

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post Aug 3 2016, 04:21 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,265
1. Manchester City
2. Manchester United
3. Arsenal
4. Southampton
5. Tottenham
6. Liverpool
7. Chelsea
8. Stoke
9. Leicester
10. Everton
11. Sunderland
12. West Ham
13. Crystal Palace
14. Middlesbrough
15. West Brom
16. Bournemouth
17. Swansea
18. Burnley
19. Watford
20. Hull

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Aug 4 2016, 11:50 AM
Post #19
Group icon
I've done a each-way bet on West Ham to win the league at 80/1.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Aug 4 2016, 01:51 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
Southampton 4th spot ML - that's a curveball - the new manager did so well with Nice though so lets hope to see a repeat!

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:47 PM