BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

32 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Emma Bunton • General Discussion
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
sammy01
post 10th December 2018, 10:47 AM
Post #161
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

Thank God, the radio show has been such a tie.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Blond 2.0
post 10th December 2018, 10:40 PM
Post #162
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,576

Good it's time to focus on her solo music and the spice girls tour and stuff

+Quote this post
Blond 2.0
post 21st December 2018, 03:59 PM
Post #163
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

OMG Emma is shooting something

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 21st December 2018, 04:49 PM
Post #164
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

yahoo.gif cheer.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 21st December 2018, 06:14 PM
Post #165
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Exciting!

+Quote this post
Blond 2.0
post 21st December 2018, 07:42 PM
Post #166
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Looks like free me 2.0 cheer.gif cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Blond 2.0
post 30th December 2018, 08:50 PM
Post #167
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

I hope we got more uptempo tracks this time cuz Life in mono didn't have any really I still love it but More like Maybe ba da da ba da da da biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Blond 2.0: 30th December 2018, 08:51 PM

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post 31st December 2018, 12:09 AM
Post #168
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574

I'm rather excited at this album but yes more Free Me or A Girl Like Me than Life in Mono please.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 31st December 2018, 09:29 AM
Post #169
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I think somewhere between Free Me and Life in Mono would be perfect, but I also hope she has developed her sound further and into new hights. She had a very strong sound with Free Me, quite unique amongst the pop landscape of the time. Then she furthered it into Life in Mono which became almost like a concept album - or as close to one as a solo spice got - but her solo career seemed to stop then, which was a massive shame.

Now that is bakc on track, I just hope she surprises us. Judging from her outputs, I am sure she will. I just want it to be good and a development from before. It's been 12 years since her last album, so only makes sense that she has also grown with that time.

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 31st December 2018, 10:32 AM
Post #170
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030

i'm wanting a 'life in mono' 2 tbh... when i spoke to her about it last december, she seemed really content with it as a body of work.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 31st December 2018, 10:40 AM
Post #171
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(dannjohn @ Dec 31 2018, 10:32 AM) *
i'm wanting a 'life in mono' 2 tbh... when i spoke to her about it last december, she seemed really content with it as a body of work.

wooooo tell us everything! What did she say? w00t.gif

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 31st December 2018, 10:52 AM
Post #172
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030

we didn't discuss new music as i had no idea she was working on it

it was the twelve year anniversiary of 'life in mono' and i congratulated her about it, which she was thrilled about as "most people only ever want to talk to me about the spice girls, which is amazing, but no-one ever talks to me about 'life in mono'" which made me gasp as i explained "it's such a great record, the title track has to be one of the best post-spice songs and then there's 'take me to another town' which deserved to be a single" and she agreed. She said she was pregnant at the end of the era and the label felt like it was a good way to end it as there didn't seem like much interest in the record, which saddened me. She said she hadn't thought about that time in her life for so long and wish she'd done a tour "or something" for it. She also mentioned how the title track was actually a cover and i didn't realise... i said i'd check it out but i didn't. We then sang a bit of 'crickets sing for anamaria' and that was about it... we took a cute pic tho

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 31st December 2018, 02:35 PM
Post #173
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

aaawww that's so nice! Thanks for sharing the story and for your enthusiasm about that record. It is, in my opinion, one of the best albums in the solo spice cannon just behind Free Me.

I am saddned that the record didnt get the attention it deserved, as shown here. It was a clear misfire but I think it was more a marketing/PR issue than anything else, as the record got good reviews and people like her.

Let's hope for the best in the new year with new music!

+Quote this post
Blond 2.0
post 31st December 2018, 03:20 PM
Post #174
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing your story heart.gif Take me to another town would have slayed and it was the most fan favorite

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 31st December 2018, 03:58 PM
Post #175
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Agree! With a quicky video, it would have been awesome. So sad at how the whole project was handled really... Oh well...

+Quote this post
Tombo
post 4th January 2019, 12:52 AM
Post #176
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543

QUOTE(dannjohn @ Dec 31 2018, 10:52 AM) *
we didn't discuss new music as i had no idea she was working on it

it was the twelve year anniversiary of 'life in mono' and i congratulated her about it, which she was thrilled about as "most people only ever want to talk to me about the spice girls, which is amazing, but no-one ever talks to me about 'life in mono'" which made me gasp as i explained "it's such a great record, the title track has to be one of the best post-spice songs and then there's 'take me to another town' which deserved to be a single" and she agreed. She said she was pregnant at the end of the era and the label felt like it was a good way to end it as there didn't seem like much interest in the record, which saddened me. She said she hadn't thought about that time in her life for so long and wish she'd done a tour "or something" for it. She also mentioned how the title track was actually a cover and i didn't realise... i said i'd check it out but i didn't. We then sang a bit of 'crickets sing for anamaria' and that was about it... we took a cute pic tho

Aww, that is a lovely photo! Thank you for sharing, it sounds like a great encounter with her. I'm happy for you that you got to meet her biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 4th January 2019, 04:08 PM
Post #177
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Dec 31 2018, 02:35 PM) *
aaawww that's so nice! Thanks for sharing the story and for your enthusiasm about that record. It is, in my opinion, one of the best albums in the solo spice cannon just behind Free Me.

I am saddned that the record didnt get the attention it deserved, as shown here. It was a clear misfire but I think it was more a marketing/PR issue than anything else, as the record got good reviews and people like her.

Let's hope for the best in the new year with new music!

To be fair the record sold ok wasn't it certified silver? Or was it just short of silver? Either way for #65 and only 2 singles selling it I don't think it did that bad at all. Would have been interested to see what a couple more singles might have done for it.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 4th January 2019, 04:55 PM
Post #178
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Agree. I think ultimately it was the marketing/PR that f***ed it up for her. releasing the album on the back of Downtown was such a misfire. The track brought nothing new to the scene and they clearly rushed the promotion to coincide with Children in Need.

Then, with All I Need To Know, the video was cute but where was the promo? A couple of half-arsed mimed performances for such a gem of a song, and nothing else. I think the record company and Simon really f***ed it up on that one.

I wish she hadnt done Strictly. For me, thats where it all started to go down. She had a good name after Free Me and people were intrigued. But her going on that show was pointless and took away from her music completely.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 5th January 2019, 05:50 AM
Post #179
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

A few thousands sales off silver for Life in Mono! Life in Mono sold 53,510 sold as of 2016. I think it sold a bit under 40,000 of those in 2006. Although that seems fantastic for a #65 peaking album, it's reflective of the state of the market at the time - sales were humongous across the board! So the definition of what would have been considered as "ok" back then probably couldn't be said of Life in Mono, even though with the benefit of hindsight and comparing it to today's market, it seems good. I mean its chart run of 65-75-79-128-156-out-188-out shows how it performed amongst other albums of the time - not very well. kink.gif It's all relative.

It took 92,000 copies to be the 200th best seller of 2006 (so clearly Emma would have been far off with her <40k sales). 92k would be enough to be the 63rd best seller of 2018, but of course today's album market is inflated by streaming units, so it's not a very direct comparison.

~

I think Emma's problem with her solo career was not striking while the iron was somewhat hot. The gap between Crickets Sing for Anamaria (i.e. the end of the Free Me era in the UK) to Downtown was 2 and a half years! She was out of sight and out of mind.

I always thought that they could have squeezed one more single out of Free Me in the UK. Also, surely she was in a position, on the strength of that era, for a small academies tour to have been viable in 2004? That really was the point in time to try and carve a path as a live act. Following that, I think she should have been back in the studio with the intention of getting her third solo album out in 2005 (preferably early in the year to have got in there first before Melanie C, Geri & Mel B angel.gif ). Her attempt at making Free Me happen in the US was a mistake, that effort and focus would have been better spent on maintaining her presence in the European charts and building a reputation as a live performer. Instead she waited too long, made a decent album, but then tried to sell it via a cover version & a reality TV competition.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 28th January 2019, 09:02 AM
Post #180
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

It was just announced on BBC2 that her new single will be out on February 22nd! wub.gif

COME ON BUNTON, WE'RE READY cheer.gif funky.gif yahoo.gif w00t.gif

+Quote this post

32 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 12:26 PM