BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
31 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 23 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Official Chart Flashback
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post Dec 12 2019, 01:24 PM
Post #401
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/o...-is-you__27963/

Every year sees a new crop of Christmas songs, and while lots of them are great, it can be tricky for them to cross over and become a perennial favourite, up there with the old classics from the 60s and 70s.

It’s definitely not an argument we’d like to have – Christmas is all about getting on, after all – but 25 years after its release, Mariah Carey has undoubtedly earned legend status was this little number, which celebrates its 25th birthday since making its Official UK Chart debut...

All I Want For Christmas Is You was a surprise move for perfect-piped chanteuse Mariah Carey, back in 1994. She’d just enjoyed her period of greatest success in the UK, with her first run of consecutive Top 10s and a Number 1 single Without You from chart-topping album Music Box. Everybody wanted to see what she would do next, and, well, a Christmas album probably wasn’t what everyone was expecting.

The seasonal collection Merry Christmas was led by a song that would quickly become a festive classic. All I Want For Christmas Is You went in at Number 5 20 years ago this week, the UK perhaps not quite ready to get into the festive spirit. Sales trebled the following week, however, and the song raced to Number 2, 25 years ago this week.

Any other week, Mariah could have made it to Number 1, but there was a huge sales surge for East 17’s Stay Another Day – shifting over 130,000 copies that week. Sales increased for Mariah again the following week, but with East 17 still clearing over 120,000 copies, it was runner-up spot again.

The week before the Christmas Number 1 was announced, Mariah sold 100,000, but East 17's sleigh was super-fast – they notched up 160,000 sales in the same seven days, and the prize went to them.

She may have been disheartened at the time, but little did she know just how loved Mariah’s jolly bell-jingling jaunt would become by the British public.

East 17 may have won the Official Christmas Number 1 battle, but ultimately victory belonged to Mimi. Stay Another Day has notched up 1.14 million chart sales, including streams, which is pretty impressive, but All I Want For Christmas has racked up a whopping 2.34 million, 1.23 million of which are pure sales (physical and downloads).

East 17's chart-topper is seeing a mini resurgence this year; band member and the song's writer Tony Mortimer has teamed up with the London's Waltham Forest Youth Choir for a new version of the track to raise money for charity CALM this Christmas.

Since downloads counted toward the Official Singles Chart in 2007, All I Want For Christmas Is You has been like that traditional poinsettia you can’t help but buy. It’s returned to the Top 40 every single year, returning to its Number 2 peak the past two years. With this being its 25th anniversary, could it be the year Mariah fulfils her destiny and scores that festive chart-topper she so richly deserves?

She’s given the song a lot of love over the years: she recorded a special version with Justin Bieber in 2011, and in 2014 she kicked off what has become an annual Christmas concert series. To mark its 25th birthday in 2019, she's done a curious-but-brilliant team up with Walkers crisps, she’s reissued her Christmas album and is releasing the single on cassette CD, 7” and 12” formats. A new version of the music video featuring previously unseen footage has also been released to help boost its streaming numbers, and she's released a short documentary about how the song was made on Amazon. A very Mariah Christmas to you!

Elsewhere in the Official Singles Chart that week in 1994, TV series Power Rangers had become a global phenomenon, and its theme song entered at Number 3, while Bon Jovi found himself in the Top 10 with often-forgotten Christmas single Please Come Home For Christmas.

Just outside the Top 10, new at Number 11, was Cotton Eye Joe by Eurodance group Rednex. The Europop-meets-country song grew in popularity over the Christmas season, eventually climbing to Number 1 in January 1995.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Dec 12 2019, 09:03 PM
Post #402
Shakin Stevens
Group: Members
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

Cotton Eye Joe must have been the last song to climb to no1 in that era (until the download era apart from a few one place climbs?

What a great Christmas chart that was, best until 2003 for me.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Mar 19 2020, 10:16 AM
Post #403
BuzzJack Idol

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/n...-the-top__8648/

The turn of the century – new millennium, even – was an uncertain time (sound familiar?). Just when everyone thought computers would stop working or the sky would fall in because of the Millennium Bug, it turned out everything was going to be okay after all - for the time being at least.

But if there was one thing you could count on during 1999 and 2000, it’s that Geri Halliwell would get a Number 1 single.

And here she was again, kicking off the year with her third consecutive chart-topper from her debut solo album Schizophonic. Bag It Up was typical Geri, musing on the differences between men and women in her own cheeky style. In a way (Spice die hards look away now), Geri had made the third album the Spice Girls probably would have made had they stayed as a quintet.

“I like chocolate and controversy,” she cooed in the energetic video for the track, riffing on her former Spice Girls’ personality as the saucy Ginger.

If the video was energetic, her BRITs performance was nuclear. Emerging from between a pair of glistening, splayed legs, Geri bumped and cavorted her way across the BRIT Awards stage with an array of oiled-up himbos. The birth of Venus this most certainly was not, but Geri’s spirited performance was not forgotten in a hurry.

Bag It Up went straight in at Number 1, meaning disappointment for Blink 182, who missed out on scoring their first chart-topper. They did, however, land their very first Top 10 in the process, when All The Small Things went in at Number 2.

They’d only hit the Top 40 once before, but thanks in part to the memorable video for All The Small Things, which parodied the boybands of the day (mostly Backstreet Boys), success was assured.

In the end it wasn’t even a particularly close race. Geri’s girl power also translated into sales power – she beat the Blink 182 boys by almost 50,000 copies, scoring first-week sales of 106,000. In total, Bag It Up has sold over 266,000 chart sales, while All The Small Things has shifted over 1.07 million chart sales, boosted by 60 million audio streams since records began in 2014 (compared to 448k for Bag It Up). Blink may have lost the battle, but you could say they won the war.

There was one more Number 1 to come from Geri, a cover of Weather Girls' It’s Raining Men. This feat gave her a new chart record at the time; she had the most solo Number 1s of any British female singer. Geri held on to this record until 2014, when Rita Ora matched her, before Cheryl Cole and then Jess Glynne overtook her.

Geri has scored eight Top 10s on her own, to match the eight she enjoyed with the Spice Girls. View Spice Girls' complete Official UK Chart history here. Meanwhile, one more Top 10 awaited Blink 182, I Miss You in 2004. They’ve landed 10 UK Top 40 hits altogether.

Elsewhere in the Official UK Singles Chart that week in 2000, dance outfit Chicane dropped from 1 to 3 with their Bryan Adams-assisted Don't Give Up, and ATB, aka German DJ André Tanneberger, landed a third and final Top 10 with Killer following chart-topping success the previous year with 9PM (Till I Come).

Dr Dre's hip-hop classic Still Dre ft. Snoop Dogg was a new entry at Number 6, and further down the chart there were new entries for Embrace, Will Smith, Macy Gray and No Doubt.

+Quote Post
danG
post Mar 19 2020, 10:21 AM
Post #404
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

as if All The Small Things is now a millionaire, it really ain't very good, his voice is so whiny on it.
although it's still better than Bag It Up which is just proper naff, at least that and the rest of Geri's solo career is very much forgotten about now.

+Quote Post
jszmiles
post Mar 19 2020, 06:05 PM
Post #405
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 1,161

Chicane <3

+Quote Post
Scene
post Mar 19 2020, 06:23 PM
Post #406
This is where you end and I begin
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,567
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(dan.G @ Mar 19 2020, 11:21 AM) *
as if All The Small Things is now a millionaire, it really ain't very good, his voice is so whiny on it.

I Miss You is definitely their superior top 10 hit. But I do love the video for ATST. The drummer was quite a sort. kink.gif and the lead singer. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Scene: Mar 19 2020, 06:23 PM

+Quote Post
Robbie
post Mar 19 2020, 06:35 PM
Post #407
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 366
   No Gallery Pics

'Bag It Up' features backing vocals by Pepsi and Shirlie, of Wham fame along with Tracey Ackerman who has also featured on a number of chart hits as well as writing or co-writing several more.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Mar 19 2020, 11:27 PM
Post #408
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Member No.: 3,217

QUOTE(dan.G @ Mar 19 2020, 10:21 AM) *
although it's still better than Bag It Up which is just proper naff, at least that and the rest of Geri's solo career is very much forgotten about now.

I'd say at least It's Raining Men and Mi Chico Latino are reasonably well remembered after 20 years?

Many aspects of her career haven't stood the test of time, I agree. With an artist like Geri though, I think what counts is the impact she made at the time, not the lasting legacy of it. 4 #1 singles in a row... not everybody can claim that. cool2.gif

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post May 14 2020, 12:24 PM
Post #409
BuzzJack Idol

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/f...umber-1__15095/

Back in the early '00s, one way of ensuring your single would be a hit was by getting heavy rotation on music video channels.

And if you spent your days flicking between MTV Hits, The Box, TMF in the UK in 2000, one video that was unavoidable was Madison Avenue's Don't Call Me Baby. It certainly did the trick though, as the track stormed to Number 1 on the Official Singles Chart exactly 20 years ago this week.

Madison Avenue were a short-lived Australian duo comprising of writer/producer Andy Van Dorselaer and singer Cheyne Coates - she was the one delivering a sassy dance routine in said video.

Don't Call Me Baby charged to the top spot with opening-week sales of 93,794, knocking the previous week's Number 1 - Britney Spears' Oops! I Did It Again - down to second place. The tracks' total combined sales stand at 434,000, and it seems some of you are still enjoying it - last week 16 people downloaded the song and it picked up 70,000 streams in the UK.

But what became of Madison Avenue? They followed up their Number 1 with Top 10 hit Who The Hell Are You?, but they called it quits shortly after their album, brilliantly-titled The Polyester Embassy, stalled at Number 74.

In an interview with Junkee last year, Andy said the pressure of sudden global success caused the pair to burn out, and a second record was never made. “We couldn’t find the magic on the second album," he said. "I think we disagreed on where Madison Avenue was going and that’s fine. There’s no right or wrong in that answer — it’s just about desires and what makes you feel right."

Still, Madison Avenue leave a legacy of two solid hits, and 20 years on, with Coates’ permission, Van has revisited Don’t Call Me Baby for its 20th anniversary, with a recent re-release by his label Vicious Recordings.

Elsewhere in the Top 40 this week in 2000, Tom Jones notched up his seventeenth Top 10 hit with Sex Bomb new at Number 3, and Armand van Helden landed his second Top 5 smash with the Gary Numan-sampling Koochy.

Further down, there were more early summer club hits for Paul van Dyk's The Riddle ft. Saint Etienne at Number 7, and Shaft's Mambo Italiano debuted at Number 12. Heather Small's enduring self-empowerment anthem Proud landed at Number 16 - surprisingly, that would be its peak.

+Quote Post
Steve201
post May 15 2020, 07:01 PM
Post #410
Shakin Stevens
   No Gallery Pics

Classic chart that 'Don't Call and Baby' is an absolute classic!

+Quote Post
Sempachorra
post May 21 2020, 10:00 PM
Post #411
Let's Go Brandon
Member No.: 421

A fantastic chart

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post May 28 2020, 09:56 AM
Post #412
BuzzJack Idol

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/o...so-good__29868/

Who doesn't love a good success story? Especially when it’s someone like Sonique, who waited long enough to hit the big time. The North London singer had her first bash at pop music in 1985, with a solo single Let Me Hold You, before teaming up with DJ Mark Moore on his project S-Express, who’d had a Number 1 with Theme From S-Express in 1988.

From the mid-Nineties, Sonique turned her attention to getting people on the dancefloor in a different way – she started DJing. Working at mega clubs like Ibiza's famous Manumission, the singing itch was too intense for Sonique not to scratch, and by 1998, she was releasing music again.

It Feels So Good had previously been released in 1998 and made a slight impression – charting at Number 24. It was only after a slightly rejig that upped the euphoria and rerelease in 2000, after signing a major record deal with Universal Records, that the song found a new audience.

As the first summer of the new millennium got underway, Sonique suddenly found herself with a huge hit, taking up residency at the top of the Official Singles Chart for three weeks. The track was so popular that it denied S Club 7 - who were at the very peak of their powers - the Number 1 with Reach, while Bon Jovi's big comeback track It's My Life was new at Number 3.

It Feels So Good went on to be a massive seller, finishing third in the year-end chart for 2000, behind All Saints’ Pure Shores and Bob The Builder’s Can We Fix It?. To date it's racked up 829,000 chart sales, split between 728,000 pure sales and 11.7 million streams since records began in 2014. And who eventually knocked it off the top? It was Barry White-sampling Black Legend with You See The Trouble With Me.

Solo, Sonique scored six Top 40 entries, three of which went Top 10. Her most recent spell in the Top 40 was back in 2003 when Can’t Make My Mind Up hit Number 17. Over on the Official Albums Chart, her debut collection Hear My Cry gave Sonique a Top 10 album in 2000. View Sonique's Official Chart history in full here.

Elsewhere on the Official Singles Chart this week in 2000, the previous weeks' chart-topper, Billie Piper's Day & Night, slipped to Number 4. Completeing the Top 10 was Australian singer-songwriter Sia, who landed her first UK hit at Number 10 with debut single Taken For Granted.

Top 10
01 (NE) Sonique - It Feels So Good 195,000
02 (NE) S Club 7 - Reach 123,500
03 (NE) Bon Jovi - It's My Life 82,500
04 (01) Billie Piper - Day & Night
05 (02) Madison Avenue - Don't Call Me Baby
06 (03) Britney Spears - Oops! I Did It Again
07 (04) Tom Jones & Mousse T - Sex Bomb
08 (05) DC Luck & MC Neat - Masterblaster 2000
09 (06) Bloodhound Hang - The Bad Touch
10 (NE) Sia - Taken For Granted

New Entries
11 (NE) DJ Dee Kline - I Don't Smoke
15 (NE) Belle & Sebastian - Legal Man
19 (NE) Novy vs Eniac - Pumpin
25 (NE) Korn - Make Me Bad
32 (NE) Hybrid feat. Chrissie Hynde - Kid 2000
33 (NE) A-ha - Summer Moved On
39 (NE) Angel Lee - What's Your Name?

+Quote Post
Bjork
post May 28 2020, 11:19 AM
Post #413
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 22,665
   No Gallery Pics

It Feels So Good is such an amazing song, one of the best dance songs ever
and nearly doing 200K on week 1 is crazy
didn't know she was part of S'Express

+Quote Post
vibe
post May 28 2020, 03:38 PM
Post #414
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

195000 is crazy !!!

+Quote Post
danG
post May 28 2020, 04:07 PM
Post #415
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Bjork @ May 28 2020, 12:19 PM) *
It Feels So Good is such an amazing song, one of the best dance songs ever
and nearly doing 200K on week 1 is crazy
didn't know she was part of S'Express
worth noting (ICYDK), as the article doesn't make it clear, that she joined S'Express on their 2nd album - after they had their #1 (and two other top 10s)

+Quote Post
Steve201
post May 28 2020, 09:34 PM
Post #416
Shakin Stevens
   No Gallery Pics

I was gonna ask was she the singer that performed on totp with them in 1988.

Great top 10, didn't realise 'Reach' was kept off the top spot by it, and a classic Bon Jovi track!

Love the no10 entry for Sia so long before her main era!

This post has been edited by Steve201: May 28 2020, 09:35 PM

+Quote Post
paulgilb
post May 28 2020, 10:29 PM
Post #417
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 55
   No Gallery Pics

Korn's entry at #25 meant that their first 7 chart hits had all peaked between #22 and #26 inclusive. This remarkable consistency was broken with their next hit Here To Stay which reached #12 in 2002.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jun 4 2020, 04:18 PM
Post #418
BuzzJack Idol

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/n...-the-top__9493/

There was a time when the UK record-buying public were known for their fondness for a novelty record. It’s one of the few places in the world where a cartoon character can score a million-seller (Bob The Builder's Can We Fix It?) or a huge foam monster with googly eyes called Mr. Blobby can land a Christmas Number 1.

Further proof of Brits’ sense of humour came in summer 2005, when one of the biggest rock acts in the world had Number 1 snatched from them by… well, an animated frog. But this was no ordinary frog. Instead of a lily pad and a penchant for eating flies, Crazy Frog was more into wearing a motorcycle helmet and proudly letting everything hang out for all to see.

Originally known as The Annoying Thing – which less kind people would say was a stunningly accurate name – Crazy Frog advertised ringtones for sale (hello 2000s!) and his own inimitable siren’s call. “A ring ding ding…” and so it continued into all eternity.

To capitalise on Crazy Frog’s cult status, he launched a pop career, starting off with a new version of Axel F, originally a Number 2 hit for Harold Faltermeyer in 1985 and reappearing in the Top 10 once more in 1995 for dance outfit Clock (7). Only Crazy Frog could take it to Number 1, however, which he did this week in 2005, and very likely totally ruining Coldplay’s weekend.

Coldplay were staging their big comeback after a couple of years away following the huge success of second album A Rush Of Blood To The Head. Their opener was Speed Of Sound, which would have been a cert for the top spot any other week of the year, and while they’d topped the Official Albums Chart, the band had yet to score a Number 1 single.

And to be honest, it wasn’t really a close race. Crazy Frog trounced his chart rivals, outselling Coldplay by over 113,000 copies. We’re sure Chris and the gang’s concern was only brief – their new album X&Y was a smash soon after.

Axel F spent an astonishing four weeks at Number 1, eventually deposed by 2Pac and Elton John’s Ghetto Gospel, and has now sold over 590,000 copies.

Since 2014, Axel F has been streamed 30 million times, 23 million of which is on video, tipping its chart sales total to 694,000 meaning it is now a Platinum certified single.

Coldplay would have to wait three more years until their first Number 1 on the Official Singles Chart when Viva La Vida would do the biz for them.

Crazy Frog would go on to have four more Top 40 hits – honestly, this really happened – last gracing the charts in 2006 with a cover (read: decimation) of Wham’s Last Christmas. See where all of Crazy Frog's singles charted here.

Elsewhere on the Top 40 this week in 2005, Amerie (now Ameriie) landed her first UK Top 10 with 1 Thing, and Gwen Stefani's fourth solo single Hollaback Girl was new at Number 8, breaking a run of Number 4 peaks achieved by her previous releases.

Meanwhile, Nancy Sinatra bagged her first Top 40 for over 30 years as a guest feature on Audio Bullys re-working of Shot You Down, and further down, there were new entries from pop-rockers The Magic Numbers, My Chemical Romance, Arcade Fire and more.

Top 10
01 (NE) Crazy Frog - Axel F 149,466
02 (NE) Coldplay - Speed of Sound 36,456
03 (02) Akon - Lonely
04 (NE) Amerie - 1 Thing 29,525
05 (04) Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc
06 (01) Oasis - Lyla
07 (03) Black Eyed Peas - Don't Phunk With My Heart
08 (NE) Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl 21,970
09 (NE) Audio Bullys feat. Nancy Sinatra - Shot You Down 19,950
10 (05) Tony Christie feat. Peter Kay - (Is This the Way to) Amarillo

New Entries
15 (NE) Magic Numbers - Forever Lost
20 (NE) My Chemical Romance - Helena
25 (NE) John Williams - Battle of the Heroes
26 (NE) Arcade Fire - Power Out
28 (NE) Brian McFadden - Demons
31 (NE) Nine Black Alps - Not Everyone
34 (NE) British Sea Power - Please Stand Up
40 (NE) Sons & Daughters - Dance Me In

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jun 4 2020, 04:23 PM
Post #419
BuzzJack Idol

'Axel F' passed 600k in October 2017, which would suggest an average of 700-800 copies a week. Presumably that's predominately from video streams. Not sure why it's so popular on YouTube where it's averaging about 1.8m a day! drama.gif

+Quote Post
Bjork
post Jun 4 2020, 05:36 PM
Post #420
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 22,665
   No Gallery Pics

huge difference between #1 & 2, Coldplay never had a chance then

hated the Crazy Frog song, but also hated Speed of Sound, after being the biggest Coldplay fan for albums 1 & 2, this was Coldplay pretending to be U2,
pretending to be what they were not...

much better newies lower than the charts with Audiobullys and Gwen Stefani, with the best new being Arcade Fire-Power Out

+Quote Post

31 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 23 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:09 PM