BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Stan & Ollie
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
troublepink
post Oct 4 2018, 03:50 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Beautiful Trauma
User: 590
During the early 20th century big screen comedians like Charlie Chaplain and Buster Keaton made audiences laugh in their droves.

But who could forget the most famous comedy duo from the black and white era – Laurel and Hardy.

Now Steve Coogan and John C Reilly star as the pair in Stan & Ollie, a biographical film focused on their 1953 British variety hall tour.

The official synopsis reads: “The true story of Hollywood’s greatest comedy double act, Laurel and Hardy, is brought to the big screen for the first time.”

It continues: “Starring Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly as the inimitable movie icons, Stan & Ollie is the heart-warming story of what would become the pair’s triumphant farewell tour.

“With their golden era long behind them, the pair embark on a variety hall tour of Britain and Ireland.

“Despite the pressures of a hectic schedule, and with the support of their wives Lucille (Shirley Henderson) and Ida (Nina Arianda) – a formidable double act in their own right - the pair’s love of performing, as well as for each other, endures as they secure their place in the hearts of their adoring public.”

It continues: “Starring Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly as the inimitable movie icons, Stan & Ollie is the heart-warming story of what would become the pair’s triumphant farewell tour.

“With their golden era long behind them, the pair embark on a variety hall tour of Britain and Ireland.

“Despite the pressures of a hectic schedule, and with the support of their wives Lucille (Shirley Henderson) and Ida (Nina Arianda) – a formidable double act in their own right - the pair’s love of performing, as well as for each other, endures as they secure their place in the hearts of their adoring public.”

Unlike their first visit to Glasgow in 1947 – when police on horses were needed to control the crowds in Glasgow city centre – the pair played only one week at the Empire.

This time there was no massed throng to greet them, and the whole week went off without so much as a ripple, much less a wave, of publicity.

The duo’s close relationship is explored in the picture and writer Jeff Pope says: “They are living and breathing characters, with flaws and shortcomings.”

Stan & Ollie is released in UK cinemas on January 11, 2019.

Link

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post Oct 25 2018, 05:24 PM
Post #2
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666
Looking forward to this

+Quote this post
troublepink
post Jan 13 2019, 11:55 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Beautiful Trauma
User: 590
Saw this yesterday, incredible film. Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly were spot on with their portrayal of Stan & Ollie.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jan 17 2019, 10:24 PM
Post #4
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
This was surprisingly cute and charming. I honestly had no idea what to expect but I enjoyed it.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 28 2019, 03:26 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
Yes totally agree sweet and charming, 2 fabulous central performances, I mean Steve Coogan looks and acts more like Stan laurel than Stan Laurel did in this period! Lots of affectionate references to all the famous routines, and the 2 actors as the wives also have great supporting performances. It's a "small" human-interest story, devoid of major drama and turmoil, and is all the better and realistic for that. 7/10 and I hope it wins some awards.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:32 AM