BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Will Luis Fonsi be a one-hit wonder?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Will Luis Fonsi be a one-hit wonder?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 59
Guests cannot vote 
Sempachorra
post 17th September 2017, 12:25 AM
Post #21
Group icon
Let's Go Brandon
User: 421

Yes, unless he gets featured on someone else's track
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
André
post 17th September 2017, 01:27 AM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 8,915

I mean, Daddy Yankee got another huge hit so why wouldn't he be able to get one too?

QUOTE(*Tim @ Sep 16 2017, 11:34 AM) *
You are completely missing the point. Tropical house cannot really be compared to Latin music. Tropical house is more global, is played in clubs throughout the year and played by radio throughout the year.

Latin music often has the "take me back to summer of ...." feel to it and therefor is more limited to the summer than tropical house. On the same way you hardly see ballads being extremely succesful during summer

In a lot of places around the world, including several major European countries, Latino music is played throughout the year in radio and clubs. "Chantaje" was huge during the winter and "SUBEME LA RADIO" was also a winter hit in most of Europe. Plus, Latin music is the most streamed genre on Youtube all year long and is growing nonstop on Spotify so it'll surely get a huge push in the streaming era. The UK is not that isolated from worldwide trends.

Also, the UK is super influenced by the USA and Latino music is huge there and, with the streaming boost, it'll be getting more pervasive.

QUOTE(Rush @ Sep 16 2017, 11:55 AM) *
I don't view the current wave of Latin songs as a trend like tropical house. From my perspective, it's the result of YouTube and Spotify growing so much in Latin countries in the last few years, that Latin songs are now racking up numbers on par with international English-language hits. That on its own means labels surely have more interest in investing in Latin music now, but particularly crucial is Spotify, as the Global Top 50 and global nature of playlists mean localised success inevitably rubs off internationally. For context, before October 2016, Latin songs making the Global Top 50 was limited to about 2 per year; then, Zion & Lennox's 'Otra Vez' hit the top 50, and by December there were 5 Latin songs top 50 at once, and that's pretty much been the norm since. It might subside a little as genre trends change, but I'm sure Latin music will always be popular in Latin countries, which means it'll keep spreading worldwide with the platform now available. Granted, the UK has shown no interest in non-remixed huge hits like 'Felices los 4' and 'Me Rehúso', but there will surely always be crossover-friendly hits like 'Mi Gente' every now and then, if not continued remixes too. I think Latin songs now are more comparable to broad genres like hip hop and dance music, that started as 'trends' but have remained constants in the charts for decades.

Exactly.

Plus, Spotify is still growing in Latin America so the invasion of Latino songs in the Global Top 50 will keep getting bigger and bigger. Just take a look at the YouTube Music Charts (https://artists.youtube.com/charts/tracks) -- where 70% of the top 10 and 50% of the overall top 50 is Latin music -- to a peek of what's to come in the Spotify Global Top 50.

This post has been edited by André: 17th September 2017, 06:12 AM

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 18th September 2017, 04:03 PM
Post #23
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

History has dictated that few, if any, Latino artists have found sustained success in this country beyond their first big hit - hello to you Ricky Martin and Lou Bega in 1999. J.Lo and Enrique from that same Latino explosion from the same year are the exceptions to that rule but even he had trouble getting off the ground after 'Bailamos'. Were it not for 'Hero' I doubt he'd have broken through with the subsequent success he enjoyed.

+Quote this post
Dark Horse
post 18th September 2017, 05:46 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,457

probably yes, but who knows? he might surprise us by featuring Rihanna like DJ Khaled did after his feature with Bieber...

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 18th September 2017, 06:04 PM
Post #25
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

Erm, his popularity here may have been fleeting, but in no way was Ricky Martin a one hit wonder...

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 18th September 2017, 06:22 PM
Post #26
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

QUOTE(T Boy @ Sep 18 2017, 07:04 PM) *
Erm, his popularity here may have been fleeting, but in no way was Ricky Martin a one hit wonder...

OK. I will give him 'She Bangs' but how many of his singles outside of that and 'Livin La Vida Loca' can Joe Public name?

+Quote this post
André
post 18th September 2017, 06:38 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 8,915

QUOTE(ThePensmith @ Sep 18 2017, 03:22 PM) *
OK. I will give him 'She Bangs' but how many of his singles outside of that and 'Livin La Vida Loca' can Joe Public name?

I mean, he had two platinum albums and still has public recognition (most people know who Ricky Martin is and what he looks like) so I would not exactly compare him to Lou Bega. Also, "Maria" and "The Cup of Life" were both big too.

This post has been edited by André: 18th September 2017, 06:39 PM

+Quote this post
GerryJ
post 19th September 2017, 03:48 PM
Post #28
Group icon
New Entry
User: 22,696

I mostly concur with Rush and THEO. It would be surprising if Luis Fonsi isn't able to ride Despacito's wave into one or two more chart hits before the year is up (anywhere from low top ten to mid 20s maybe?), but in the long term, I doubt if he'll achieve anything even close to this scale.

This post has been edited by GerryJ: 19th September 2017, 03:49 PM

+Quote this post
danG
post 19th September 2017, 04:04 PM
Post #29
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

Luis Fonsi's got a follow-up now, though technically speaking it's not his song:

I can't see this becoming a UK hit.

+Quote this post
Rush
post 19th September 2017, 04:33 PM
Post #30
Group icon
wayback machine gif rescuer
User: 18,564

QUOTE(danG @ Sep 20 2017, 02:04 AM) *
Luis Fonsi's got a follow-up now, though technically speaking it's not his song:

Hadn't heard of this before, but if you're not aware/for further information it's just a remix of Charly Black's existing 'Gyal You A Party Animal', which was a hit in Latin America in 2015-16. Funnily, it was previously remixed with Daddy Yankee last year (which also did well) laugh.gif Can't wait for a Justin Bieber remix to complete the trio next year.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 19th September 2017, 08:06 PM
Post #31
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753

QUOTE(danG @ Sep 19 2017, 05:04 PM) *

This is like the third or fourth release of this song :') The original was an absolute banger and they need to leave it alone!!

+Quote this post
N-S
post 19th September 2017, 09:29 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 816

This was the first Luis Fonsi I've ever heard, back in 2008.

P.S. A worldwide crossover hit for David Bisbal is long overdue.

+Quote this post
Dark Horse
post 19th September 2017, 09:49 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,457

QUOTE(ThePensmith @ Sep 18 2017, 07:03 PM) *
History has dictated that few, if any, Latino artists have found sustained success in this country beyond their first big hit - hello to you Ricky Martin and Lou Bega in 1999. J.Lo and Enrique from that same Latino explosion from the same year are the exceptions to that rule but even he had trouble getting off the ground after 'Bailamos'. Were it not for 'Hero' I doubt he'd have broken through with the subsequent success he enjoyed.

Are you seriously comparing International pop star Ricky Martin to one hit wonder Lou Bega? Ricky Martin has had tons of hits worldwide and is still scoring hits to this day, one of his latest hits Vente Pa Ca recently reached 1.2 Billion views on YouTube, and some of his recent hits have reached 800 million views worldwide... I don't see Lou Bega achieveing any of this now... not to mention Ricky Martin has scored 8 top 20 hits in the UK so there's nothing to compare..

This post has been edited by Dark Horse: 19th September 2017, 09:50 PM

+Quote this post
N-S
post 20th September 2017, 10:54 AM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 816

QUOTE(ThePensmith @ Sep 18 2017, 05:03 PM) *
History has dictated that few, if any, Latino artists have found sustained success in this country beyond their first big hit - hello to you Ricky Martin and Lou Bega in 1999.

Lou Bega wasn't/isn't Latino.

+Quote this post
caseclosed
post 20th September 2017, 11:24 AM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 23,311

Absolutely.

+Quote this post
rafik4u
post 20th September 2017, 11:43 AM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 12,633

In the UK most likely yes unless he is featured somewhere.

He has a long career of hits in the Spanish speaking world though, so not like he needs another crossover after Despacito.

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post 20th September 2017, 12:35 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 19,614

QUOTE(rafik4u @ Sep 20 2017, 07:43 PM) *
In the UK most likely yes unless he is featured somewhere.

He has a long career of hits in the Spanish speaking world though, so not like he needs another crossover after Despacito.

He probably doesn't need those hits either anymore thanks to Despacito laugh.gif

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 09:33 AM