BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Insatiable, Netflix | 10th August
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JSG
post 9th August 2018, 10:07 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473

Now there has been a lot of controversy of this trailer and as of now there is a petition with over 90,000 signatures to have Netflix shelve the series which they aren't doing.

The controversy is regarding "Fatshaming"

My own take it that this show is satirical in nature and looks damn hilarious to boot.

Also I searched to see if this was on the site already Hut couldn't find insatiable mentioned on Buzzjack at all.

What are your thoughts?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 11th August 2018, 01:48 AM
Post #2
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

QUOTE(JSG @ Aug 9 2018, 11:07 AM) *
couldn't find insatiable mentioned on Buzzjack at all.

Quite curious to check out the first episode and see whether I agree or disagree with the critics... 10% on Rotten Tomatoes at the moment! D:

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 11th August 2018, 03:22 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

Quite a vile concept, considering this is a show aimed at teenagers I think it's really damaging to tackle something like this in this way in a society where there is already so much pressure on the audience watching to look a certain way to be accepted. I don't really care if its satire, the way that Netflix seems to be trying to sell it as some sort of satirical take on body image and issues yet virtually every reviewer and viewer can see how tone deaf it is speaks volumes. There are so many better ways to tackle issues of identity than this. It doesn't even have to be a dark and depressing drama to be effective, Dear White People for example looks at race and the issues that the black community faces in modern America so well, by satirizing it but handling it sensitively and accurately in a way that's been lauded as relatable to those it pertains to. Fat shaming and jokes about paedophilia and rape as well as offensive stereotypes of LGBT individuals and ethnic minorities is not the way to go. It comes across as utterly tone deaf at absolute best, and I can't believe anyone thought it was a good idea. Now I'm all for a bit of dark humour, but in a show that Netflix claims is about being yourself and comfortable in your own skin, and one aimed at teenagers, it's really not the place, and by constantly pushing it and trying to be "edgy" with it, it detracts from that even more, not that portrayal of Patty seems to be anything like what they are claiming anyway. I hate to base my opinion off of reviews and a trailer, but everything I have heard about this completely puts me off of even trying, I don't want to support a show like this. There's just so much wrong with the show before I even attempt to try and watch and make sense of it or form more of an opinion...

I mean it's 2018, and we are REALLY still going to vilify being a bit larger than average? From what I've seen, instead of being some sort of celebration of being who you are, it's just shooting offence at every possible marginalised group in the name of "satire". As I said, there's so many ways to tackle issues, and so many ways to do it in a comedic way, there is just no need to take the same old pot shots and the same marginalised groups as always. So many shows manage to do it, but this seems to be tone deaf in virtually every way.

+Quote this post
Neil
post 11th August 2018, 07:33 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 9,016

2 episodes in, and I think it's OK, pretty funny but some of the jokes fall flat for me unsure.gif
It's more dark than I was expecting though, which for me is a plus.

I must point out though that I think the controversy over the show is a perfect example of how pressed the internet has become. This show would have flown completely under the radar say, 10 years ago.

On the flip side though, the show is clearly truing to push the envelope and Alyssa Milano's perfectly media trained holier than thou response to it all, especially given her involvement in the #metoo resurgence, for example, wears a little thin with me.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 11th August 2018, 07:35 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Does the whole fat thing actually have a point to being included? I thought from the trailer that the story could have been any variety of other reasons to resent her classmates etc and it seems like such an odd and insensitive choice of start to the plot.

+Quote this post
BridgeCow
post 11th August 2018, 08:01 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,860

yeah it really seems to me this show could have worked with literally any other plot device that wasn't just fat shaming, I just cannot see how anyone thought this was a good idea, I haven't seen it tho (and never will most likely) so I don't wanna pass full judgement tbh

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post 11th August 2018, 08:45 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043

The reviews for this have been brutal ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
NellyEverySundae
post 11th August 2018, 09:00 PM
Post #8
Group icon
#TeamKrustyKrab
User: 20,675

I don’t see anything *overly* offensive from the first three episodes, I find the show awfully boring and a waste of Debbie Ryan’s talent. The pace is so god-damn SLOW.

If this show is satire, it fails miserably at it.

+Quote this post
JSG
post 11th August 2018, 10:27 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473

Yeah I will say that they way the show was portrayed in the trailer is nothing like the actual show itself.

+Quote this post
lotita
post 12th August 2018, 04:01 PM
Post #10
Group icon
feminist icon
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,777

i couldnt even finish the pilot. next

+Quote this post
Travis
post 15th August 2018, 04:00 AM
Post #11
Group icon
hi
User: 22,135

Just finished watching the first season. It's an okay show overall, definitely nowhere near as offensive as it came off to be from the trailer. I can see this getting renewed for one more season to finish the story off a bit more, but I could also see them letting it end where it's at now.

+Quote this post
Martyn
post 25th August 2018, 09:38 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 66

I’m trying to wine watch this and I’m not sure I’m enjoying it.

Are we supposed to be routing for anyone?

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 26th August 2018, 12:56 AM
Post #13
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

I did notice that once this was actually released seemingly no one cared about it anymore laugh.gif I was gonna watch it just to see what it was like but based on what everyone else is saying I’m gonna pass x

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 07:22 AM