BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
32 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Impossible Princess ● album discussion, 6th album ● 1997
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post May 7 2020, 12:27 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

A thread to discuss everything about 1997's Impossible Princess.

1. Too Far
2. Cowboy Style
3. Some Kind of Bliss
4. Did It Again
5. Breathe
6. Say Hey
7. Drunk
8. I Don't Need Anyone
9. Jump
10. Limbo
11. Through the Years
12. Dreams
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post May 7 2020, 02:24 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Complety forgot Kylie performed this on the Fever tour, so many people at that tour wouldnt have even known the song at all.

This is a really good version of breathe, i always think this acoustic version shows how much the song suits kylie vocally.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post May 7 2020, 03:13 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155
Love that we have a thread for each album wub.gif

I’m just going to camp out in here and talk to myself about how amazing IP is tbh magic.gif laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post May 7 2020, 03:57 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 632
Hated it at the time but now love it, not too many obvious singles though except for Dreams

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post May 7 2020, 04:52 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I always thought this was slightly overrated by fans but something has suddenly clicked in place this year and I'd consider it one of my favourite now too! 'Limbo' and 'Drunk' are fantastic; I wonder what sort of reception the album would have had if these were released as singles instead? They seem more representative of the album and Kylie already had a foot in the club scene... on the other hand, I can see the commercial mindset of why the pop-rock songs would be more beneficial what with the then-music scene and how they're easier to play live for TV.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post May 7 2020, 05:37 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
My gut is no matter what were singles the outcome would have been pretty much the same only the first single might have went top 20. Limbo does have the sound of what might have made a good single.Breathe might have been a good choice for lead single.
I really do think if more people gave the album time they would really see how good the album is. The vinyl might help with that if it happens.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post May 7 2020, 05:46 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
That's true, it could be the case that anything they released would have been received the same. I guess pop fans may have felt too alienated and indie fans weren't willing to accept her. That, and the delays the album suffered. The staggered release from country to country was odd.

Another idea could have been to release 'Did It Again' as the lead. The video is probably the most memorable part of the whole era and I think the tongue-n-cheek, fun factor worked in its favour, which may have been more prominent if it was our introduction to the album.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post May 7 2020, 05:53 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Ya the video was a talking point which could have been the opening she needed to get attention. The album never really fully fitted into any category properly which is prob why pop fans shunned her and indie fans were like it's not really indie. The album had alot going on with it but it's one of those albums that shouldn't work but actually works really well.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post May 7 2020, 06:10 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
There have been so many debates about what tracks should have been singles etc., but as has been said above I don’t think it would have mattered what was released - the media and general public were against Kylie at the time.

Also the fact that delays and name changes meant this project was doomed from the start.

I think the single choices were great and there is honestly not a song I dislike on the album. Now just give us a vinyl finally BMG drama.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post May 7 2020, 06:12 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Do you think there would have been a backlash if they stayed with the original title when it was released.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post May 7 2020, 06:17 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Feel_The_Fever @ May 7 2020, 07:12 PM) *
Do you think there would have been a backlash if they stayed with the original title when it was released.

Possibly - the world felt different at that time, and I think the media would have had their knives out if she hadn’t of changed it.

I love that all these years later it has its rightful name on streaming etc.,

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post May 7 2020, 06:25 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I usually roll my eyes at unnecessary changes to avoid 'offence', like how it seems 'No Time to Die' and 'To Die For' got dropped from playlists due to any connotations they supposedly had with current circumstances, but I think Kylie's team made the right choice here. The reaction to Diana's death is unprecedented and it would just be better to be safe than sorry in regards to the album name.

I just wish they didn't give it the same title as the album preceding it! laugh.gif I think fans have suggested using 'Dreams' if it were to be named after an album track.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post May 7 2020, 06:50 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
To call it Kylie (Her 3rd named after herself) was a terrible idea - it felt like a rushed decision with no thought put into it. She could have literally picked any track from the album to name it after!

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post May 7 2020, 07:02 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
The new name was lazy, dreams could have made a good name plus it referenced the actual intended title track but i think through the years could have been a good name.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post May 9 2020, 12:34 AM
Post #15
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
My Impossible Princess review =

Too Far
The opening track comes racing from nowhere and mixes crisp backbeats with a haunting piano progression and some beautiful strings, along with the Trip-Hop dance rhythm running throughout, creating something very intense and frenetic in tone. Kylie's deep vocals and spit-fire delivery during the verses and the dark, messed up lyrics coat this anti-epic adventure. Of course this is a definite standout moment and getting things off to a great start as well as giving us a great representation of the album. Maybe this would have made a better choice for the lead single, but maybe would have been a bit too risky to be a commercial success.

Cowboy Style
A funky western jam set against a backdrop of synth beats and naked keyboard tones and A single violin knits each chorus and verse together. This really shows Kylie's creativity to mix her style with a Country sound, making this a cracking and accomplished tune and dare I say it another album highlight.

Some Kind of Bliss
The lead single and one of the more pop/rock tracks on this album as well as giving us our first taste of IndieKylie, with some great guitar-filled anthem, layered with strings and trumpets. While I do like the upbeat feel of this, it doesn't really set the tone of what's to come upon its release, with its disappointing commercial performance that got this era off to a bad start with a lack of momentum. This probably should have stayed on the album as an okay album track.

Did It Again
The 2nd single now with its eastern music filled chorus, some aggressive guitar work and quirky and fun lyrics with Kylie battling different incarnations of herself. Her tone of annoyed anger in the lyrics really paints a story and let's not forget the brilliant music video which probably helped this perform much better than 'SKOB' on the charts. This is a really good track and a great single choice, especially on the production side, thanks to its much safer hands of 'Brothers In Rhythm'.

Breathe
Now we come to single #3 of the album now as this marks a return to the darker tones of the album, as this really makes you feel isolated and claustrophobic as you swim into its inner sanctum. Synthesiser's, keyboards, bass guitar and drums are all used excellently on this track, with its subtle nature that makes this a very sublime piece of music. Definitely one of Kylie's most underrated singles of her career, but on here it stands as something very special.

Say Hey
Simplistic in its execution and definitely one of the more sullen tracks on this album and not one of my personal faves, just feels a bit uninspired to me, Kylie's tone and the music which isn't cutting it. Well some people like it as they've named a forum after it.

Drunk
Fast paced Indie/Dance now with her vocals overlapping each other during the chorus and definitely gives off that dark trance vibe, with its deep and personal lyrical content and manic energy, hey the title says it all.

I Don't Need Anyone
Kylie showing her playful side now with this guitar laden track that has that very 90's Brit-Pop sound to it, in very much the same vein as 'SKOB', but despite its short length this feels a little out of place with its surroundings.

Jump
A very striking number with a slow drum beat melody that runs throughout and a quartet of strings that really elevates this to a higher place. Kylie's vocals really shine on here as well with such strength and passion, along with the gorgeous production makes this yet another great track.

Limbo
Guitars and high octane drum beats and a 70’s funkadelic tinge all makes for what's probably the most aggressive track on the album, along with its fast paced synth beat that enters after a high pitched chorus. Another stunning track and maybe another that would have made a better contender for the lead single.

Through The Years
The sad and brooding track that counters the fast paced nature of the previous tracks, and is placed perfectly here which sets up the next and final track. A another deep and personal song about her intense relationship with her ex, and Kylie expresses herself beautifully as she acknowledges the end of this once hopeful yet turbulent coming together of heart and mind.

Dreams
The album perfectly closes with yet another outstanding track, with superb production and more strings that compliment the emotion and drama of this soaring track, and therefore ending things with an almighty bang.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post May 9 2020, 03:10 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Love your review in general but especially on breathe, you have my own thoughts on it but worded brilliantly.

+Quote this post
pippa
post May 10 2020, 08:47 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
Dreams closes the album on a real high leaving you wanting more.
Too Far opens the album very strongly and wets the curious mind for what is ahead.
The album track listing was handled with great placing.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post May 10 2020, 11:02 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
It's interesting that all the singles are back to back.

+Quote this post
pippa
post May 11 2020, 08:01 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
If the vinyl of Impossible Princess goes ahead do you believe it could happen later this year?

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post May 11 2020, 08:19 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I really hope it does and i have a feeling it will as kylie has mentioned she is aware that the fans want it, i would be so happy to able buy the vinyl as a christmas present for myself laugh.gif

+Quote this post

32 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:31 AM