BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'Like A Prayer' • album discussion, 4th album | 1989
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
-0-0
post 11th November 2020, 02:14 PM
Post #21
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643

A camelphat remix of like a prayer rumoured to be coming out soon *.*
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 11th November 2020, 02:17 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

QUOTE(Wall @ Nov 11 2020, 02:14 PM) *
A camelphat remix of like a prayer rumoured to be coming out soon *.*

He played it at one of his sets recently. I usually like Camelphat but I wasn't that fussed about it. sad.gif

From 30:45

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 20th December 2020, 03:26 PM
Post #23
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

Oh that Camelphat remix is OK but I preferred Mad'house's cover back in the day even though I found out recently to my slight disappointment that it was a cover not a remix and that Madonna wasn't singing on that.

The original is of course still a very good song despite all the controversy associated with the video.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 20th December 2020, 03:36 PM
Post #24
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Underwhelmed by that remix, it doesn't do enough for me and the sample use is quite limited and too repetitive.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 21st December 2020, 08:09 AM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

Love Song is not great but at least it's better than Act of Contrition

This is how I'd rank the album:
1 Like a Prayer
2 Til death do us apart
3 Cherish
4 Oh Father
5 Spanish eyes
6 Express yourself
7 Promise to Try
8 Keep it together
9 Dear Jessie
10 Love song
11 Act of contrition

for what I recall, Lovesong was a Prince song that Madonna just changed 3 commas... it's not that they sat together in a room and made it together one line each... but maybe I'm wrong biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 21st December 2020, 08:20 AM
Post #26
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

My ranking of this classic album =

1. Like A Prayer
2. Express Yourself
3. Cherish
4. Oh Father
5. Till Death Do Us Part
6. Pray For Spanish Eyes
7. Promise To Try
8. Keep It Together
9. Dear Jessie
10. Love Song
11. Act of Contrition

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 4th January 2021, 12:35 PM
Post #27
Group icon

QUOTE(dandy* @ Dec 20 2020, 03:36 PM) *
Underwhelmed by that remix, it doesn't do enough for me and the sample use is quite limited and too repetitive.

Yeah should have been the full song or most of it remixed I think with a catchy beat, taking a bit of inspiration from the 2002 Mad'house cover that I just mentioned.

'Dear Jessie' from the album would be good remixed, would sound like a sort of Clean Bandit style track with the original orchestral production and a bit of dance beat added. Would it be as good as Rollergirl's iconic dance cover though? laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Road Salt Mixer: 4th January 2021, 12:37 PM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 22nd January 2021, 01:01 AM
Post #28
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

My track by track review of Madonna's 4th studio album 'Like A Prayer'

Like A Prayer
Why not start this album off with an absolute iconic classic, often considered one of Madonna's finest recordings (if not the very best) & its not hard to see why with its rich production & that distorted guitar at opening before that heavy thud is just superb. The song features a full gospel choir, reinforcing the religious aspect of the song and adding dynamics to an arrangement that already plays on the contrasts in intensity. Even without the vivid music video, this epic track works on just about every level, thanks to the complex lyrics & the engaging verses before exploding into a almighty loud chorus. A timeless classic.

Express Yourself
A good old fashioned girl power anthem with some cool funk based arrangements, which made this the perfect 2nd single. Definitely one of the brightest numbers on here with rousing yet powerful chorus with some brilliant strong vocals that really helps sell the message of the song to perfection. The upbeat polished production & wonderful instrumentation makes this rank as yet another Madonna classic that like track 1 has aged really well.

Love Song
This collaboration between Madonna & Prince should have been epic, but sadly coming after the first 2 tracks, this is rather disappointing. Given the star power involved its very subdued & slight, and as Prince’s signature scratchy disco guitar breaks through Madonna’s synths, nothing here quite comes together as both feels rather disconnected. A prime example of duets lacking chemistry.

Till Death Do Us Part
Thankfully the quality picks up with this rather dark number that talks about the violent dissolution of Madonna’s marriage to Sean Penn, and its a pure masterpiece of melody writing, shifting smoothly between sadness, fear, and melancholy. Full of synths, skittering guitars & keyboards creates a frenzied pace that contrasts nicely with Madonna's self assured vocals & creating a simple yet effective melody.

Promise To Try
Slowing things down with this beautiful yet complex piano ballad with beautiful strings that really sets the tone for the sadness of the lyrical content, that thanks to Madonna's raw & tender vocals, and its simple melody, makes this yet another firm standout moment.

Cherish
After 2 dark songs, this comes as a breath of fresh air with this uplifting number with strong melodies & dynamic rhythms, makes for a wonderful pop confection. Definitely the album's most commercial moment, but that doesn't take anything away from this brilliant pop gem & really shows how much this amazing album has to offer. Again this was another perfect single choice with its fun & upbeat production that shows how diverse this collection of songs really is.

Dear Jessie
This is an interesting song that feels more like a lullaby than a pop song, but the playful lnstrumentation's & acoustic guitars helps create a dreamlike quality with the change in tempo during the breakdown really gives this song a fantasy element & along with some bouncy melodies, makes this a rather soothing number. A decent little pop track on the whole.

Oh Father
One of the strongest songs on the album & also one of the best ballads and vocal performances by Madonna of her entire career. A companion piece of sorts to 'PTT' with Madonna herself at her rawest and open state emotionally, something that's quite rare for her. You couldn't call this a typical ballad, but its wonderful nonetheless with its mixtures of classical instruments such as piano, string arrangements & drums coming in on the soaring chorus, this is really something you can resonate with.

Keep It Together
Again showing the album's wild variety of styles with this mid-tempo synth funk tune which lyrically again talks about her family in this rather groovy bop with an added flair of R&B, this is yet another decent & strong number that's a welcomed change of pace after the heaviness of the previous track.

Pray For Spanish Eyes
Adding a bit of Latin flavour to this album with this rather stunning number that maybe its a bit less commercial than some of the other tracks on here, yet quite adventurous also with acoustic guitars, trumpets & a rather challenging melody to sing with Madonna's vocals almost cracking at some points, yet all that only adds to the emotion of the song.

Act Of Contrition
An odd way to end the album & not really a song just a prayer recital to reversed samples of drums and choirs & some distorted production. Well its certainly different & does fit in with the religious themes of the album, but honestly I wouldn't miss this if it wasn't here.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 22nd January 2021, 01:12 AM
Post #29
Group icon

Further to the Camelphat remix discussion, this by the way is the original remix of the original like A Prayer mashed up with Black Legend - You See The Trouble With Me which Mad'house based their cover version on:

This post has been edited by TheSnake: 22nd January 2021, 01:13 AM

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 24th January 2021, 07:06 PM
Post #30
Group icon
User: 13,007

1. Like A Prayer
2. Oh Father
3. Promise to Try
4. Till Death Do Us Part
5. Express Yourself
6. Keep It Together
7. Pray for Spanish Eyes
8. Cherish
9. Dear Jessie
10. Love Song
11. Act of Contrition

Following on from the joyous True Blue album, this album hits like a train. There are some fun moments on it, but the more I listen to it, the more I realise how deeply powerful and emotional it is throughout. The ballads are largely some of her best ever ballads and the big singles rank quite comfortably as some of her best and most iconic. It is an album that offers so many different moods and moments and is rightfully the classic that it remains.

In terms of my personal rankings, Oh Father is a major favourite - it may not be the all out masterpiece that Like A Prayer is, but it is one of Madonna's most tender and vulnerable moments and for the icon that we know today it is quite shocking and alarming to see her be so brutally honest and open through this song in such a tender way. It always makes me feel incredibly emotional and heart-broken. I feel like it is a song that has spoken to so many people because it is such a daring look at how those closest to you can also cause you the most hurt. I had it first but I really couldn't deny the title track's power and had to switch them! The title track's video is one of the best ever music videos in my opinion and the song is a triumphant, multi-layered musical experience. It takes you on a journey of sounds and moods and themes - at times you are experiencing sexual ecstacy, at others an out of body spiritual moment. When the choir kicks in, it elevates the song to dizzying heights and there really is little else that can compete to the sheer divinity that it creates!

Promise To Try is another example of how ballads should be done, pure emotion throughout and so tender. Till Death Do Us Part is the single that got away! The rampaging opening up about her marriage as it dissolved away offers a great contrast to the bride in the Like A Virgin album! Express Yourself remains a great moment in her discography - so clearly inspired future generations and that is testament to its might. The video is a feast and Madonna is the powerful queen that she ought to be. The song is fun, if a little saccharine at times but it works well to bring the tempo up and get awaken another side to the album. Keep It Together is a great song about family and one that always makes me feel empowered around the people I love - a contrast to 'Oh Father' and the darker side of those closest to you.

In the middle of the album Pray For Spanish Eyes is yet another ballad beauty and Cherish is fun and cute but inessential for me. With so many moments that could have been given the spotlight, I am not sure why Dear Jessie was given a release. The childhood, nursery rhyme aspects of the song fit with some of the key themes of childhood innocence in the album so it works well as an album track! And while we're at the bottom of the pile a collaboration with PRINCE, the legend, produced a song as irritating and non-eventful as Love Song. Two huge artists with magestic creative vision and yet what they produced is so devoid of their personalities and charisma. Although a collaboration between the two could probably never live up to the dizzying heights that we'd expect, this outdid it all in terms of being a true disappointment! And finally Act of Contrition which I still don't think I really understand lmao. Obviously the breakdown of the religious verse and then a random rant and yeah, who knows~

Overall this album has it all: huge highs, pitiful lows, beautiful ballads, soaring vocals, great production and instrumentation, clear themes that repeat throughout and legendary visuals. It's a brilliant album and a perfect example of Madonna on top of her game giving us everything we want from a pop star.

Albums ranking
1. True Blue
2. Like A Prayer
3. Madonna
4. Like A Virgin

+Quote this post
vibe
post 24th January 2021, 07:42 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

Loving the Oh Father love ❤️

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 24th January 2021, 09:07 PM
Post #32
Group icon

I literally had it as my #1 on the album until just before submitting!! The top 2 are close for me.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 28th January 2021, 10:35 AM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Totally agree with your assessment of 'Love Song'; who would have thought a Madonna/Prince collab could ever be described as boring?! It's the only skip moment on the album for me, I even quite like 'Act of Contrition' in all its craziness! 'Dear Jessie' is quite an odd choice of single, not sure why 'Oh Father' wasn't just given a worldwide push instead, but I guess it worked out well given it outsold 'Express Yourself' and 'Cherish' in the UK!

There was a couple of outtakes from the album that were passed onto other singers, including Madonna's then-backing singer Donna de Lory who has just released a remix package of her song.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 29th January 2021, 10:21 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53

Surprised some of you put Dear Jessie so low. I'll do a rate soon but it's one of the best tracks for me. Catchy, like a nursery rhyme or lullaby.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 30th January 2021, 02:09 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

Oh I remember that Marilyn Martin - Possessive Love song, I did like it a lot back in the day but never knew it was a Madonna leftover ohmy.gif
I remember there was a bit of buzz about the song but don't think it did much anywhere.

I also much prefer Oh Father to Dear Jessie. Much more grown-up and mature.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 31st January 2021, 11:58 AM
Post #36
Group icon

QUOTE(common sense @ Jan 29 2021, 10:21 PM) *
Surprised some of you put Dear Jessie so low. I'll do a rate soon but it's one of the best tracks for me. Catchy, like a nursery rhyme or lullaby.

It's definitely catchy but so too are 90% of the songs on the album and most of them surpass it with the depth they also bring. It definitely has its fans though going on how decently it did as a single!

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 9th February 2021, 07:43 PM
Post #37
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

How am I only hearing this for the first time this week? ohmy.gif That extended outro and the guitars *.*

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 23rd February 2021, 07:08 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I have everything crossed for a HD 'Like a Prayer' video next month...

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 3rd March 2021, 03:00 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

+Quote this post
vibe
post 3rd March 2021, 05:50 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

Excited for the remixes

Regarding the disappointment of Love Song , i agree but without it we wouldnt have hung up in the same way!

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 11:50 PM