BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Samantha's 50 Favourite Taylor Songs, #16-#18 Posted | Losing Haunted was Revenge
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
UltraCruelSummer
post 23rd August 2017, 09:54 PM
Post #21
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

'Before you, I'd only dated self-indulgent takers.'

43. Stay Stay Stay

Into 43rd and its time to move away from her debut era as we have an album track from Red, 'Stay Stay Stay'.

Taylor describes the song as
'When I'm writing a song, I'm so in that zone that it's really sort of a trance I go into," she explained, "and I'm just kind of thinking about what I would say to this person that I'm writing the song about if I could just say whatever I wanted to them right now; that's kind of where I go in my head. And then the next thing is, I edit the song for a couple of days in my head and make sure that every line is as tight as I want it to be.'

Oooh, a BOP *.* Another country bop, this came from Taylor's country-pop era Red and is one of the most full out country songs on the album! Taylor is fab on this track and this really is one of her most fun tracks with the fun production and vocals *.* And I love Taylor's laughing at the end of the track *.*
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 23rd August 2017, 09:59 PM
Post #22
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

'Well, you drive me crazy half the time.'

42. I'm Only Me When I'm With You

Into 42nd and we are back to the debut with deluxe track 'I'm Only Me When I'm With You'.

'It was actually written about Swift's best friend, Abigail Anderson'.

Oooh, another BOP *.* Another country bop, I always get my life to this whenever I hear it and it is one of my favourites from the debut <3 I ADORE the production on this, especially the instrumental bit after the chorus is so fun and I am legit bopping every time. Her vocals are fab in the chorus and its another one of those songs you just wanna sing along to <3 This was also a deluxe track and the first of quite a few Taylor deluxe tracks that are better than most of the standard album tracks!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 23rd August 2017, 10:05 PM
Post #23
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

'When you think Tim McGraw, I hope you think of me.'

41. Tim McGraw

Into 41st and we are still at the debut with the song that started everything, 'Tim McGraw'.

'"If anyone has heard this song and really listened to it, they realize it's not about Tim McGraw. It's about a relationship that I was in. Just to set the record straight, it wasn't with Tim McGraw. It was with this guy I was dating and he was about to go off to college and I was thinking about all the things that I knew would remind him of me. I didn't really think of Tim McGraw personally when I wrote this song. It was a song where I was listing personal things. One of things that I listed was that my favorite song is by Tim McGraw." "The guy I wrote Tim McGraw about, I dated him for about a year and we are still friends, but we don't talk that much because his new girlfriend isn't too much of a fan. He really thought it was cool that, even though we weren't going out anymore, I remembered our relationship nicely. I think that he was happy that I didn't write 'Picture To Burn' about him, another song on my album."

This is such a stunning song and ofc this holds a massive place in my heart due to it being Taylor's debut and the song that kicked everything off for her <3 This is another fab Taylor country-ballad, though as with Cold As You she has done better since then, and the lyrics are utterly gorgeous <3 When I went to Nashville, I got to see the original handwritten lyrics as they are in the Country Museum Hall of Fame and I nearly fainted!!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 23rd August 2017, 10:06 PM
Post #24
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Top 40 will start when there are some comments! <3 <3

+Quote this post
Riser
post 24th August 2017, 04:10 AM
Post #25
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

I'm Only Me When I'm With You is my fave so far! Not the best song on her first album but an underrated one for sure.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 24th August 2017, 11:59 PM
Post #26
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Let's continue, hopefully some of you are around! <3

@Riser: agreed, its so underrated <3

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 25th August 2017, 12:05 AM
Post #27
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

'People like you always want back the love they gave away.'

40. All You Had To Do Was Stay

Into 40th and we have our second 1989 album track, 'All You Had To Do Was Stay'

The song was in part inspired by a dream Taylor had about an ex. "I was having this dream, that was actually one of those embarrassing dreams, where you're mortified in the dream, you're like humiliated," she told Time. "In the dream, my ex had come to the door to beg for me to talk to him or whatever, and I opened up the door and I went to go say, 'Hi,' or 'What are you doing here?' or something - something normal - but all that came out was this high-pitched singing that said, 'Stay!' It was almost operatic."
"So I wrote this song, and I used that sound in the song. Weird, right?" Taylor continued. "I woke up from the dream, saying the weird part into my phone, figuring I had to include it in something because it was just too strange not to. In pop, it's fun to play around with little weird noises like that."

This is basically a little bit better version of How You Get The Girl, a fun upbeat pop track that I'll get my life to every time I hear. It's just one of those pop songs that is effortlessly good and is always a mood lifter <3

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 25th August 2017, 12:09 AM
Post #28
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Both 'Stay' tracks are v good, although Stay Stay Stay is my favourite of the two wub.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 25th August 2017, 12:11 AM
Post #29
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

'Once upon a time, I believe it was a Tuesday when I caught your eye.'

39. Forever & Always (Piano Version)

Into 39th and we have our first Fearless track to appear in the form of the piano version of Forever & Always.

Swift told The Los Angeles Times that on this song, she felt as though she achieved something authentic and raw. She explained: "When I go into the studio, it's really more about portraying the song in a way that gets the feeling across, rather than every phrase being exactly perfect. I think it's the writer in me that's a little more obsessed with the meaning of the song than the vocal technique. All that stuff is like math to me. Over-thinking vocals and stuff - I never want to get to that point."

This is such a stunning version of the song and Taylor's vocals are at her best here and they particularly shine on the chorus and the middle 8 <3 The lyrics are fab and the only reason this isn't higher is cause I prefer the original version! (I just realised I also only have 5 Fearless tracks top 50 oops, tbh Breathe is just outside!)

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 25th August 2017, 12:16 AM
Post #30
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

'It would be a fine proposition, If I hadn't once been just like her.'

38. Girl At Home

Into 38th and we have the 2nd bonus track to appear in the form of Red's 'Girl At Home'.

(the lyrics pretty much describe the song for this one kink.gif)

Another deluxe song that really should've been on the main album! This bops so hard and is way better than Sad Tragic/The Last Time/I Almost Do/The Lucky One. The lyrics are fab and this is just another flawless pop-country song <3

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 25th August 2017, 12:22 AM
Post #31
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

'It seems I was uninvited by your lovely bride-to-be.'

37. Speak Now

Into 37th and we have the first of two title tracks to make the top 50 in the form of the third album's title 'Speak Now'.

"The song was actually inspired by one of my friends. She was telling me a story about her childhood sweetheart-crush guy," the hitmaker explained. "They were together in high school and then went their separate ways. I understood it as they were going to get back together.
She comes in and tells me that he's getting married. He had met this other girl who was a horrible person. She made him stop talking to his friends, cut off his family ties, and made him so isolated. And randomly, I was like, 'Oh, are you going to speak now?'"

Speak Now is typically great country Taylor <3 I always love the Taylor songs which tell a story and its interesting to see how this unfolds and Taylor's vocals on the middle 8 are INCREDIBLE <3 I love how the verses lead to the chorus and this is classic Taylor done perfectly.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 25th August 2017, 12:26 AM
Post #32
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

'He's the song in the car I keep singing, don't know why I do.'

36. Teardrops On My Guitar

Into 36th and we FINALLY have another single as we only have two more Taylor Swift tracks remaining as 'Teardrops On My Guitar' drops out.

In an interview with the HMV magazine, Taylor revealed that this song was written for a boy named Drew, who only ever saw her as a friend, despite Taylor having feelings for him. She went on to explain what happened when he realized the song was about him. Said Taylor: "About two years after the album came out in the States, he showed up in my driveway. Apparently he and his girlfriend had broken up so that was his first stop when he was back in town. I was like 'you are so late, y'know. If you'd stopped by right after the album came out then that would be one thing, but…' I remember reading on his MySpace page one time 'My name's Drew and I have a famous song written about me. Email me and I'll give you details.' I was like, right, wow, note taken."

This was one of the first Taylor songs I ever heard so its holds a special place in my heart <3 The country version is stunning and heartbreaking but I actually think I prefer the poppier version as its always one of those melancholy sing-a-long songs that I will screech at the top of my voice laugh.gif I love the lyrics and they remain iconic to me to this day, and the video is fab. As much as I love this though, this shouldn't have been the follow-up single to Love Story in the UK!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 25th August 2017, 12:30 AM
Post #33
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

Ew Never Grow Up, Sam cancelled x

Yas at actually appreciating Dear John tho *.*

+Quote this post
Jade
post 25th August 2017, 12:43 AM
Post #34
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Ahhh 'All You Had To Do Was Stay' is my favourite Taylor album track wub.gif that and 'Out of the Woods' were instant favourites from the album for me. If the era had been milked even further with another single then it would've definitely been my top pick.

'Teardrops On My Guitar' is really nice also, I remember seeing that music video loads back in the day because people would request it lots on Starz TV!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 25th August 2017, 12:45 AM
Post #35
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

@Joseph: yeah they both slay so badly <3
@Liam: tempted to put it higher just for you x
@Jade: Yeah it was one of my initial faves as well I think and it would've been my choice for the next single probs (even though I Know Places>>>>>>>>>)! Starz TV *.*

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 25th August 2017, 12:53 AM
Post #36
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

'We found wonderland, You and I got lost in it.'

35. Wonderland

Into 35th and we have another bonus track as 1989 track 'Wonderland' drops out.

Filled with allusions to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, this 1989 bonus track finds Taylor comparing a relationship to the twists and turns in the Lewis Carroll story.

I utterly adore this and its a definite non single highlight from 1989 for me nowadays <3 I love the lyrics, I adore Alice In Wonderland so all the allusions to it in the lyrics are great and I love the chorus and how the song builds. Also that middle 8 is INCREDIBLE, Taylor's vocals are fab <3 Another bonus track that should've been on the main album laugh.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 25th August 2017, 12:56 AM
Post #37
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

'The way you move is like a full on rainstorm, And I'm a house of cards.'

34. Sparks Fly

Into 34th and we are back to Speak Now tracks as we lose another single in the form of 'Sparks Fly'.

Taylor sings in this song of an attraction to a guy who is "a bad idea." She explained the lyrics on her website: "'Sparks Fly' is about falling for someone who you maybe shouldn't fall for, but you can't stop yourself because there's such a connection and chemistry. This is a song I wrote a few years ago and I have been working on it ever since. It's been awesome to see it change over the years. The fans have heard it before in concert, but there have been some really cool changes that I am very proud of."

There's something so enchanting and uplifting about this song <3 The chorus completely makes this, the production is fab and once again the middle 8 is perfection *.* I always sing to the chorus whenever I hear it <3

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 25th August 2017, 01:01 AM
Post #38
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

'The lights are so bright but they never blind me.'

33. Welcome To New York

Into 33rd and we are back to 1989 again as top 40 UK hit instant grant 'Welcome To New York' appears.

The song finds Swift singing the praises of the Big Apple. "I dreamt about moving to New York, I obsessed about moving to New York and then I did it," she said. "The inspiration I found in that city is kind of hard to describe and hard to compare it to any other force of inspiration I've ever experienced in my life. It's like an electric city."

This is such a fabulous album opener and is once again a perfect pop song from Taylor. I love the transformation from the verses to the chorus and its euphoric and fun <3 I also connect to the song really well as I am desperate to live in New York when I'm older so the lyrics are kinda inspirational laugh.gif
I listened to this when landing in New York on my holiday this year and it was so good to hear this in New York!! I even heard this played in a restaurant whilst in America, though this was literally exactly when we arrived in Washington after just leaving New York!!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 25th August 2017, 01:16 AM
Post #39
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

'Asking God if he could play it again.'

32. Our Song

Into 32nd we have our penultimate Taylor Swift track in the form of single 'Our Song'.

"I wrote this song in my freshman year of high school for my ninth grade talent show. I was sitting there thinking, 'I've gotta write an upbeat song that's gonna relate to everyone.' And at that time, I was dating a guy and we didn't have a song. So I wrote us one, and I played it at the show. Months later, people would come up to me and say, 'I loved that song that you played.' And then they'd start singing lines of it back to me. They'd only heard it once, so I thought, 'There must be something here!'"

And guess what song literally JUST came up on shuffle as soon as I start writing this!! *.* This is a definite favourite of mine from early Taylor Swift, this is an incredible country song and I love Taylor's vocals on this. The country instrumental is fab and they fit really well together, especially in that lil instrumental bit <3 The vocals and instruments go perfectly and I love the lyrics and the concept of 'Our Song' <3

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 25th August 2017, 01:23 AM
Post #40
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

'I said, Oh my, what a marvellous tune.'

31. Starlight

Just missing the top 30 we have Buzzjack fave and Red album track 'Starlight'.

This song finds Swift singing about the romantic adventures of Ethel and Bobby Kennedy after coming across a photo of the pair dancing when they were teenagers. "She told The Wall Street Journal: "I get a lot of style inspiration from the 1960s, so I'll go and look at black and white pictures, and look at [photos from the] '50s and '60s, and I came across this picture of these two kids dancing at a dance. It immediately made me think of like how much fun they must have had that night. It was back in the late '40s. I ended up reading underneath that it was Ethel Kennedy and Robert F. Kennedy. And they were like 17. So I just kind of wrote that song from that place, not really knowing how they met or anything like that. And then her daughter Rory ended up coming to a show a couple weeks later and I told her about the song and she was like, you have to meet my mom. She would love to meet you. So that was kind of what that song was about."

I'm gonna be honest, I never really saw the fuss with this until a couple of years ago laugh.gif I always lumped this with the other Red filler tracks but it's Cameron's fave Taylor song and his persistent convincing of me to listen to it more made me fall completely in love with it <3 This is just another feel good country-pop song that's dreamy and fab <3 I love the lyrics and the way the chorus kicks in <3

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 02:15 AM