BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Dannii Minogue ● UK Chart Runs & Sales
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Padamic Tension
post Apr 23 2020, 02:22 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
QUOTE(___∆___ @ Apr 23 2020, 09:24 AM) *
There is definitely the demand there - I think ‘Girl’ could return too if issued on vinyl.

I think it would to and could have a small chance of a new peak
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
tommie
post Apr 23 2020, 08:36 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073
QUOTE(Liam.k. @ Apr 22 2020, 07:25 PM) *
Why did Club Disco arrive three years after 'You Won't Forget About Me' and only get a digital release? Did the album even get mentioned on her first series of X Factor?

That was because originally Hits & Beyond got released in the place of her planned fifth album after AATW couldn't figure out a way to market a new Dannii album.

Even though we joke about Dannii's webmaster / part time P&R / tireless champion (mostly because of the nafunsayz memes), we only really got the Unleashed sessions (which was the original tracks recorded at London Records post-Neon Nights) and then Club Disco (which were the material recorded at AATW) due to him. Of course, there was then the 1995 sessions which were recorded post-Get Into You at Mushroom and before she signed with Eternal/Warner for Girl.

Dannii unfortunately didn't seem to want to take advantage of her heightened profile with new music, the only thing to come out was really Touch Me Like That which she ignored once radio didn't pick it up. I guess she felt like she had real momentum for once to make a career besides being "Kylie's sister" and to be fair it's worked out for her. I'm not sure it would've been worth for her at that point to perform it on X-Factor (Simon at least claim he offered) only for it to peak somewhere in the lower top 20 and be branded as a flop.

This post has been edited by tommie: Apr 23 2020, 08:37 PM

+Quote this post
vibe
post Apr 23 2020, 08:42 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
Tommie I remember you from the old Dannii forums .

My name was Vibe there too I think (from Vibe on 🙈)

We do owe a lot to Nathan don’t we ! I messaged him the other day to sort out Dannii’s YouTube channel but he said i would have to contact her manager .

He did say that during the lockdown he is making sure that all the songs that Dannii owns up to and including unleashed will be available on streaming platforms soon.

+Quote this post
Sempachorra
post Apr 23 2020, 08:50 PM
Post #24
Group icon
Let's Go Brandon
User: 421
Thanks vibe. It's so underwhelming how long it has taken them to get her stuff on streaming services, and let's not even talk about youtube. A damn mess.

+Quote this post
tommie
post Apr 23 2020, 08:58 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Honestly, I think it's a shame that Hits & Beyond hasn't been in print since it was originally released basically. I could've actually seen it being pushed to Silver at least if it had been widely available during her X-Factor days, but I assume going through with the licensing was hard enough for something that barely sold 45k on its original release and didn't feel worth it for at best pushing it to 60k.

Such a waste they couldn't get Do You Believe Me Now? on THAB originally as I feel it could've worked as a single at the time.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post Apr 23 2020, 09:26 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155
Ah I loved the days of the Dannii forum and the hysteria and arguments that would start when trying to get her latest single up the charts laugh.gif

+Quote this post
___∆___
post Apr 23 2020, 09:41 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Get Into You
NE: 39-53-84 (first entry: 11/06/94) 3w
Sales: 15,000 (estimate)

I’d still love to know why the OCC downgraded this from its original peak of #36 to #39 a few years ago, what ‘new’ sales information could they have possibly unearthed 20+ years later laugh.gif Glad it still managed to maintain a Top 40 placing though.

+Quote this post
Sempachorra
post Apr 23 2020, 09:52 PM
Post #28
Group icon
Let's Go Brandon
Dannii failed to capitalize on the success of NN, it was so disappointing to watch as a big fan.

I remember there was lots of hype with You Won't Forget About Me, but we all were floored when it only came it at #7, and Ja Rule of all artists came it at #1 with a non-event of a single. The charts were pretty bad that year tbh, mid 00s was quite harsh on dance-pop music. I thought this was just a small bump on the road, but instead she veered deeper into the dance track gets vocal treatment, and while sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt - which was the case for Perfection. Touch Me Like That was the final nail in the coffin.

By the time Club Disco came out people were sorta over her music. The album wasn't anywhere near as good as NN so I guess it was deserved, but I feel she could've achieved so much more, NN showed she had the potential to be one of the leading ladies of UK pop music. The Club Disco era was so damn messy and just made her brand seem low budget, and with no sense of cohesion and direction.

This post has been edited by Euphorique: Apr 23 2020, 09:55 PM

+Quote this post
tommie
post Apr 23 2020, 10:10 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Euphorique @ Apr 23 2020, 09:52 PM) *
I remember there was lots of hype with You Won't Forget About Me, but we all were floored when it only came it at #7, and Ja Rule of all artists came it at #1 with a non-event of a single. The charts were pretty bad that year tbh, mid 00s was quite harsh on dance-pop music. I thought this was just a small bump on the road, but instead she veered deeper into the dance track gets vocal treatment, and while sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt - which was the case for Perfection. Touch Me Like That was the final nail in the coffin.

I just don't think AATW had any clue how to market Dannii beyond a "featuring" credit. Obviously they saw the big success with RIVA and then with JCA (even if I Begin To Wonder was credited as a solo single). Add that she had to entirely start over once she left for AATW as it doesn't seem like London let her have the tracks she had recorded at that point (hence why they quickly put her on Flower Power's track).

QUOTE(Euphorique @ Apr 23 2020, 09:52 PM) *
By the time Club Disco came out people were sorta over her music. The album wasn't anywhere near as good as NN so I guess it was deserved, but I feel she could've achieved so much more, NN showed she had the potential to be one of the leading ladies of UK pop music. The Club Disco era was so damn messy and just made her brand seem low budget, and with no sense of cohesion and direction.

To be fair - neither Club Disco or Unleashed were fully realised albums - both were essentially just tracks she recorded for first London and then AATW. Had she actually put out a proper album instead of Hits & Beyond I figure it would've had a different tracklisting plus the tracks that didn't make THAB would've likely been further polished.

Club Disco just wasn't an era. It was an after-thought for her fans and I wouldn't really count it as anything else.

This post has been edited by tommie: Apr 23 2020, 10:11 PM

+Quote this post
___∆___
post Apr 24 2020, 10:26 AM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Both Eternal and AATW were dreadful labels for Dannii - as has been said above she really could have had so much more success in the UK had she been handled correctly.

Eternal were a mess after delivering us the iconic ‘All I Wanna Do’ - whilst I don’t dislike it EIW was not the right follow up and when it stalled at #15 they instantly didn’t know what to do with her especially as they saw it as the song to save the album, also releasing ‘Girl’ 4 weeks after AIWD was a mistake - Dannii had been away at that point for a few years so to rush the album out after 1 single in the lead up to Q4 was never going to work. Eternal failed with so many other acts they had at the time too drama.gif They didn’t know if they were a dance or pop label.

AATW is an iconic label but they don’t have a history of being able to turn artists into album acts (especially their female artists), when N-Dubz took off for them Universal basically took over to manage their releases. AATW is a great label for a few dance hits with 8 months between releases rather than for an act that needs some time and attention.

+Quote this post
tommie
post Apr 24 2020, 10:33 AM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(___∆___ @ Apr 24 2020, 10:26 AM) *
AATW is an iconic label but they don’t have a history of being able to turn artists into album acts (especially their female artists), when N-Dubz took off for them Universal basically took over to manage their releases. AATW is a great label for a few dance hits with 8 months between releases rather than for an act that needs some time and attention.

AATW had literally no idea how to handle albums at that point. Hell, I don't believe they had ever released a successful studio album when they signed Dannii - even poor tan queen Kelly Llorenna's first album ended up being a greatest hits. AATW might've been a decent option for her to release a featuring track (like Flower Power) or two while she figured out where to move on next, but attaching herself to them was a mistake. She should've kept herself independent at that point and tried to pitch a follow up to other labels.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post Apr 24 2020, 12:04 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
^^ Huge mistake but I guess I can see why Dannii went with them - they were a successful dance label with access to good artists and remixers, Dannii obviously thought this would be a good move after her success with ‘Neon Nights’.

Their release strategy killed any momentum with Danni immediately - they waited 11(!!) months to follow up her Top 10 ‘You Won’t Forget About Me’ with ‘Perfection’ which reached #11 and then 8 months later ‘So Under Pressure’ arrived and reached #20 then came the 18 month wait for ‘Touch Me Like That’ which reached #46 drama.gif No pop act could survive in those times basically releasing 1 single a year.

+Quote this post
tommie
post Apr 24 2020, 12:50 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Yeah, I mean her two biggest hits from Neon Nights were club hits (WDYLN? and IBTW) and I Don't Wanna Lose This Feeling got into the top five thanks largely to the bootleg - I can certainly see why she thought AATW was a good idea at the time. But as you said - the fact that they had no single ready for post You Won't Forget About Me speaks volumes - when Put The Needle disappointed by entering at #7, London Records had I Begin To Wonder ready to go. Pop artists just don't function the same as dance ones, which is fundamentally what Dannii is even if she ended up pandering a bit to the dance crowd. AATW just had no idea how to handle her or any artist that dared to step outside dance formula, such as K-Llo's excellent Nobody Like You (which I'll post because it's underappreciated).

+Quote this post
___∆___
post Apr 24 2020, 01:38 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Kelly Llorenna the ultimate AATW Queen - they let down their female acts badly tbh, Kelly Llorenna, Dannii, Tina Cousins, even Jessica Wright. They seemed to hope they would sell on name with no idea how to actually manage and market them or react when a single didn’t sail into the Top 3 as expected.

+Quote this post
vibe
post Apr 24 2020, 03:25 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
AATW has no clue , do you remember they was originally going to go with I Can’t Sleep At Night as a lead single!!

Dannii said on a live chat yesterday that her and Ian Masterson are working on a new version of All I Wanna Do that will be our soon.

She also said she still hopes to release Girl on vinyl !!

+Quote this post
___∆___
post Apr 24 2020, 04:26 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
She really wants ‘Girl’ on vinyl and I love that she does - she replied to one of my comments a few months ago on insta about it saying she was trying to make it happen.

I remember them wanting ICSAN as they lead and then all the fiasco with ‘He’s The Greatest Dancer’ that they sent out on promo and then pulled - they was a pure mess for Dannii from start to finish, the only good thing to come out of it was they managed to give Dannii another Top 20 album.

+Quote this post
Sempachorra
post Apr 24 2020, 05:09 PM
Post #37
Group icon
Let's Go Brandon
ICSAN had some amazing remixes, but the radio version was quite dull. I think that was my problem with her material post NN, with the exception of YWFAM. Just middle of the road dance music, with no lasting impact or replay value.

+Quote this post
tommie
post Apr 24 2020, 05:13 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(___∆___ @ Apr 24 2020, 04:26 PM) *
I remember them wanting ICSAN as they lead and then all the fiasco with ‘He’s The Greatest Dancer’ that they sent out on promo and then pulled - they was a pure mess for Dannii from start to finish, the only good thing to come out of it was they managed to give Dannii another Top 20 album.

I forgot about He's The Greatest Dancer - it was supposed to be The Children In Need single before a certain "Baby" stole it from her! So rude. Either way, this was done when you could actually pull singles and not have them chart!

I might have a special hateful place for a certain spice in my heart because of this obvious sabotage of Dannii's career.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post Apr 24 2020, 06:00 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Yep tragic that she had her opportunity to be the CIN single snatched away drama.gif

HTGD is not my favourite Dannii track but it would have easily been a Top 10 hit with CIN exposure

+Quote this post
Sempachorra
post Apr 24 2020, 06:48 PM
Post #40
Group icon
Let's Go Brandon
I'm more pissed that the Dannii and Kylie collab didn't happen in the early 00s at the height of their careers... would've been an easy #1 for both

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:13 AM