BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> What should have been the lead from Impossible Princess?, Choose from these tracks...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
The Scrapped choices or kept as it was?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 30
Guests cannot vote 
dandy*
post 22nd March 2021, 03:08 PM
Post #21
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

I think that Too Far could have worked, it reflects the album well but also builds on the popularity of Confide In Me. I can imagine it would have been quite successful remix wise too.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 22nd March 2021, 08:07 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031

Probably ‘breathe’. It’s the most commercial friendly sounding track. Limbo would have been interesting too.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 23rd March 2021, 01:26 AM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

As you all know im a huge breathe fan and would have loved it as the lead single but it probably doesn't reflect what the rest of the album is like although i know that can be said for a good few of the tracks but strangely the various sounds work really well as a package.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 26th March 2021, 09:19 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

The only slight difference of a different lead single would have been a Top 20 placement.
Sadly, despite high quality, big hits for Kylie was not something for that period.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 27th March 2021, 05:09 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

QUOTE(dandy* @ Mar 22 2021, 03:08 PM) *
I think that Too Far could have worked, it reflects the album well but also builds on the popularity of Confide In Me. I can imagine it would have been quite successful remix wise too.

Same, I think it's a very bold statement in the way 'Confide in Me' was. Not sure if it would have replicated its success but I think it would be much more appreciated as a lead single in hindsight than 'Some Kind of Bliss' is.

'Limbo' would have been a great lead too and, if we're talking commercial success, I think it's clear that 'Did It Again' would have been a better choice than 'Some Kind of Bliss' (I think it would have reached Top 10). It's the defining single of the era as it is, particularly with that memorable, fun video.

It's a shame 'Some Kind of Bliss' didn't catch on as I do really like it and I don't think anyone could have predicted it would have performed the way it did. As mentioned in this thread, a Manics-penned single seemed like a safe bet.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 27th March 2021, 08:01 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Did it again could possibly have squeezed into the top 10 as a lead single but possibly the same for limbo, I think they may have felt some kind of bliss was either a lead single or not a single at all plus were hoping the popularity of manic st preachers at that time would pay off which it didnt, I do still love some of bliss myself though but prefer breathe.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 27th March 2021, 08:36 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

QUOTE(Liam.k. @ Mar 27 2021, 06:09 PM) *
Same, I think it's a very bold statement in the way 'Confide in Me' was. Not sure if it would have replicated its success but I think it would be much more appreciated as a lead single in hindsight than 'Some Kind of Bliss' is.

The main issue with Too Far is that the chorus really isn't that catchy. But sure, it'd make a better "statement" to the public than SKOB. Weirdly enough, it reminds me of That Day by Natalie Imbruglia, which was released as the lead for White Lillies Island instead of the much catchier Wrong Impression. Maybe we would've complained about Some Kind of Bliss being passed over in favour of Too Far if that had happened?

But yeah, both Did It Again and Breathe could've squeezed into the top ten if they had the lead single hype going for them instead of following a "flop" single and a pushed album date.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 27th March 2021, 08:51 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

The "flop" lead single as the press reported it , killed all success chances for the album and follow up singles.
The chorus let's Too Far down as it is not standout memorable which could have resulted in further disconnect.
Limbo, Breathe, Some Kind of Bliss have catchier choruses.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 27th March 2021, 09:59 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Maybe if the lead had gone top 10 things might have been slightly different but I think there still would have been a bit of kylies brand new single has only made number 8 etc, it just wasnt cool to support kylie and most had written her off although prob some of those same people now laud IP.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 27th March 2021, 11:58 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

For many, it has taken a long time to understand and appreciate everything from Impossible Princess.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 28th March 2021, 04:35 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

QUOTE(pippa @ Mar 27 2021, 09:51 PM) *
The "flop" lead single as the press reported it , killed all success chances for the album and follow up singles.
The chorus let's Too Far down as it is not standout memorable which could have resulted in further disconnect.
Limbo, Breathe, Some Kind of Bliss have catchier choruses.

Exactly this.

This era was over before it started tbh with multiple delays, a ‘flop’ lead single (and general backlash from the MSP fans about them being involved in the lead track), but despite all of the blips it’s still my favourite era and album.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 28th March 2021, 04:58 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

The era was an education for Kylie and a massive turning point in her choices and direction.
A great album that Kylie is proud of and was a stepping stone to a window of opportunities.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 28th March 2021, 06:19 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Limbo and too far tied at the mo, and both well ahead of the others, maybe if both these were a double single it could have worked.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 29th March 2021, 07:14 AM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

QUOTE(___∆___ @ Mar 28 2021, 04:35 PM) *
Exactly this.

This era was over before it started tbh with multiple delays, a ‘flop’ lead single (and general backlash from the MSP fans about them being involved in the lead track), but despite all of the blips it’s still my favourite era and album.

Honestly, the backlash over "Some Kind of Bliss" was so silly. It's not like it was the first indie oriented track she'd done (Where the Wild Roses grow was a success) and we're not exactly talking about it being "weird". It's a breezy, summery track and I can definitively see why they picked it - it's not like with "I Was Gonna Cancel" where the only merit the track had was who produced it.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 29th March 2021, 01:14 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Where the wild roses grow came after some kind of bliss so by then kylie was labelled indie kylie so it was more acceptable especially when she worked wit Nick Cave. I agree about the breezy summary sound with some kind of bliss and it still had a pop element in it but i think the audience were just not ready for the musical change from Kylie. The only big negative i have to say about some kind of bliss is the artwork for the single was awful.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 29th March 2021, 03:34 PM
Post #36
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

The cover artwork for 'Some Kind of Bliss' was actually intended for 'Limbo' which was Kylie's choice of lead single for this project, but the decision got changed much to Kylie's dismay.

Maybe something like this would have been more eye-catching =

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 29th March 2021, 03:38 PM
Post #37
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Here's some covers for 'Limbo' & 'Too Far' if either one of these got chosen =

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 29th March 2021, 04:23 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Nina West @ Mar 29 2021, 04:34 PM) *
The cover artwork for 'Some Kind of Bliss' was actually intended for 'Limbo' which was Kylie's choice of lead single for this project, but the decision got changed much to Kylie's dismay.

Maybe something like this would have been more eye-catching =

Love this, this would have been such a better cover for some kind of bliss.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 29th March 2021, 04:49 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

QUOTE(tommie @ Mar 29 2021, 08:14 AM) *
Honestly, the backlash over "Some Kind of Bliss" was so silly. It's not like it was the first indie oriented track she'd done (Where the Wild Roses grow was a success) and we're not exactly talking about it being "weird". It's a breezy, summery track and I can definitively see why they picked it - it's not like with "I Was Gonna Cancel" where the only merit the track had was who produced it.

It was just cool to hate Kylie at the time and I think anything she released would have been written off by the media, I remember all the MSP fans going mad because James Dean Bradfield had written the song and nobody could believe a ‘cool’ artist was involved with Kylie.

I still think it was the best choice as a lead single and can certainly see why they thought it would be a good commercial sounding lead track - it was the safest choice from an album that Deconstruction really didn’t ‘get’

+Quote this post
pippa
post 29th March 2021, 04:56 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

The label were lost with Impossible Princess and did not know which way best to promote or market Kylie.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 11:00 AM