BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How does Pink remain eternally relevant?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
T Boy
post Nov 15 2017, 09:48 PM
Post #1
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Members
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Pink has pretty much been consistently successful in the UK for more than 17 years now. Many artists her age that broke through at the same time have faded away after initial success whereas Pink has always seemed to remain consistent in her popularity. Every time she releases a new album, I worry she’ll fade away (especially after a five year gap) but she always seems as popular as ever.

What exactly is her secret? What do you think she has done differently to other artists who began their careers at the same time?

I think there are numerous contributing factors. I believe that her very down to Earth personality has always kept her just humble and self aware enough to realise how much her fans want from her. I believe she has a distinctive style of music that very few others cater to (Kelly Clarkson and Anastacia do a lot of pop/rock but Pink is the true queen of this).

But I also feel the fact she never really had a huge career peak has also helped. She’s a difficult person to pin a signature song on and all though she’s had a lot of big hits, she’s never had that one super smash that stood out from all the rest. This has helped her avoid the fate of a lot of artists: the public comparing every new song to that monster hit.

I’m really interested to see what other posters think. There are so few artists in the same boat as Pink.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheSnake
post Nov 15 2017, 09:55 PM
Post #2
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
Group: Memberrs
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

I’m really interested to see what other posters think.

I wonder what Michael will think!

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Nov 15 2017, 09:57 PM
Post #3
Radical Pink Troll
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(The Diplomat @ Nov 15 2017, 09:55 PM) *
I wonder what Michael will think!

Actually, since you visited the thread, I would be interetested in your thoughts. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Nov 15 2017, 11:00 PM
Post #4
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
Member No.: 67

But, I also feel the fact she never really had a huge career peak has also helped. She’s a difficult person to pin a signature song on and all though she’s had a lot of big hits, she’s never had that one super smash that stood out from all the rest. This has helped her avoid the fate of a lot of artists: the public comparing every new song to that monster hit.

Exactly this. Along with her material being of consistent quality.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Nov 15 2017, 11:42 PM
Post #5
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

Agreed with the part Tyler picked out. It's amazing that she clearly has huge hits, but it really is hard to pin point the one that "made her"/people compare too. She also switches things up slightly with each release to a more relevant sound at the time, without drastically changing it!

+Quote Post
Riser
post Nov 16 2017, 05:21 AM
Post #6
The horrors persist, but so do I
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 19,534

My answer is similar to the lack of a career peak, that at any time there's always been two or three other popstars bigger than her. First Britney and Christina, then Katy and Lady Gaga, etc. There was always more focus on them than on Pink and just as you said, more pressure on them to live up to their previous career-defining hits. Music style is also a good shout, there's always been enough demand for the kind of pop-rock she generally records and she's never had to resort to hopping from one trend to another.

+Quote Post
SGrey
post Nov 16 2017, 06:22 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 20,182

Everything you’ve said really. In reference to the current topic in the lounge, she’s one artist who hasn’t sold themselves out to keep going and remain relevant either and think is genuine to the artist she is and wants to be. Very few big pop girls have good quality control too but she’s one of them - so many hits!

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Nov 16 2017, 01:53 PM
Post #8
Brown cow, stunning!
Member No.: 10,139

She's SO good at keeping to her style but changing it up, like Blow Me (One Last Kiss) was a bit electropop and What About Us has a sort of club ballad feel, but they still feel like a Pink song at their core. She never sells out or panders, I'd say she adapts which is so important. The lack of one huge hit probably helps too, people just sort of think "oh I like so many Pink songs she's so good" instead of just being like "why isn't she doing another song like x" because x sold 2 million or sth laugh.gif

+Quote Post
blacksquare
post Nov 16 2017, 03:25 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 23,471
   No Gallery Pics

It's definitely a combination of what everyone else has said. She's always been big but hasn't had the cultural impact that some of her peers have - so she hasn't been held to the same standard. People aren't waiting for her to recreate The Fame or Teenage Dream. People haven't had a chance to turn on her because she doesn't outstay her welcome or keep her name out there between eras. She comes and goes.

She's talented, relatable and somehow still seems like the underdog which the masses like. She hasn't taken as many creative risks as her peers, she's played with her sound ever so slightly for the past decade but not enough to put fans off. She's just easily accessible.

This post has been edited by blacksquare: Nov 16 2017, 03:26 PM

+Quote Post
Frank!
post Nov 16 2017, 05:06 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 761

I think one point we're all missing is that she has always (bar the CTMH era) appealed to a young and old(er) public. Teens love her, but plenty of adults buy her records as well. She's never had that 'bubble gum pop' tag which has helped her appeal to a more mature crowd as well.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Nov 18 2017, 05:33 PM
Post #11
Radical Pink Troll
   No Gallery Pics

I agree with all points raised here tbh. She never really had that massive moment. Ask a group to name a Pink song and they’d probably name a different one each whereas if you asked to same of Britney, they’d probably instinctively say Baby One More Time. Not that Britney hasn’t had as many hits but she has had that one massive stand out hit that Pink never did.

Also the point about there always being a bigger female artist around at the time when she’s releasing.

+Quote Post
troublepink
post Nov 19 2017, 07:14 PM
Post #12
Beautiful Trauma
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 590

I’m interested to read everyone’s thoughts on this because for me she has never been gone, even in the five year gap (roseave 💕) She is part of my life everyday and I dedicate a lot of time to her and her work

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Nov 22 2017, 07:23 PM
Post #13
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

I think it is definitely her personality. She's down to earth and relatable and because she was genuine from the start, has been able to keep it up as she's got older. As a result she's been able to stay as a role model of sorts as a young woman and now as a mum too. Which is kinda funny in a way when her initial persona was about not being a role model in some ways, and being a rebel.

You can really invest in Pink as a person and she's always been quite upfront with who that person is. Also, she releases music of consistent quality and generally will have something for everyone on each of her albums. She also generally has really good single release strategies unlike a lot of the big pop girls who have made missteps in the past that they've then struggled to come back from.

The fact she can really deliver live is also a big plus, and adds to the authenticity she already projects.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Nov 22 2017, 11:54 PM
Post #14
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I'd say it's mostly attributed to her having widespread (if not fairly universal) appeal, never being the top dog with all the focus placed upon them, not really courting the media with outrageous antics or her personal life and staying relatively in her lane musically.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Nov 22 2017, 11:56 PM
Post #15
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

She does really continue to amaze me with this though, 17 years on now. There are next to no other people who have maintained relevancy from that sort of era.

Aside from maybe Beyoncé and Justin Timberlake.

+Quote Post
TheSnake
post Dec 24 2017, 03:56 PM
Post #16
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
Group: Memberrs
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

I think its due to her appealing to a wide range of music fans in terms of age, both older and younger! She gets played on a wide range of radio stations too!

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Jan 7 2018, 11:00 AM
Post #17
Radical Pink Troll
   No Gallery Pics

I was going to post a separate thread but I thought it links in here and I don’t really want to attract the attention of someone I was discussing this with in both the shoutbox and the iTunes thread this past week. But where do you rank Pink in the grand scheme of things?

It was suggested that she is a B list singer who no one talks about, is hyped for and that the only reason she’s remained relevant is that she caters specifically to radio.

I disagree with pretty much all of that tbh. In my eyes she is clearly an A list singer who has accumulated massive album sales and huge tours over a period of almost 18 years. I felt her comeback last year was huge news and There was so much hype around What About Us? I also don’t think any of her current songs sound like anything else on the radio because she has her own style that no one else is really doing.

Just thought I’d see what her fans think.

+Quote Post
Riser
post Jan 8 2018, 02:02 AM
Post #18
The horrors persist, but so do I
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 19,534

Lol, I was looking at buying her concert tickets as a Christmas present and based on the ticket prices she's DEFINITELY not B list laugh.gif

B list artists don't have platinum/multi-platinum Greatest Hits albums or several consecutive platinum/multi-platinum studio albums either. If you don't hear anyone talking about her then you're looking in the wrong places.

+Quote Post
Linds.
post Jan 8 2018, 03:47 AM
Post #19
laugh 'til we cry
Member No.: 21,176

Idk like Pink is one of the few artists where I feel as though her best is always yet to come, which is weird when she's got a near flawless discography and she's probably the most underrated pop artist out there laugh.gif i think it's just because she constantly releases stuff of a high standard, like even TTAL which is probs her weakest album, isn't bad at all its just not up to what people know she's capable of. She's sort of maintained this kinda level of success without having a massive peak or a massive fall (see Britney 2007 x), like people can argue that Funhouse was her peak or I'm Not Dead etc, there's no one standout era which is so rare as most pop artists have that one song or that one album that smashed.

Linking to your other topic on her fan base, I think that has a lot to do with it as well, she appeals to all ages and people grow up with her music rather than grow out of It, which I feel is what tends to happen with pop music. Like it's the sort of thing you'll go back to for the sake of nostalgia rather than listen to regularly but Pink is still someone I listen to as much as I listen to my current faves as her music is pretty timeless and I can see myself still listening to well into the future.

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Oct 31 2018, 12:21 PM
Post #20
Jord
Member No.: 27,116

She’s the ultimate underdog.

The likes of Xtina, Britney and to some extent Beyoncé overshadowed her early career.

Then Rihanna, Katy and Gaga her later career. Whilst others may have had bigger peaks, shes stayed consistent and avoided the ‘flop’ eras many of the others have had.

Also I may be wrong here but Pink has a very casual fanbase too so her music and albums sell well over time, where as some of her peers have more Stan type fans but less casual fans.

She’s also stayed true to herself and not become someone who she isn’t, she’s a likeable person with a real personality who people can connect with and she always lets her music do the talking.

Plus, she’s a very good promoter whether that’s tours or live performances she works hard on promo for her albums, like you know when Pink is releasing something!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:09 PM