BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Barbenheimer, 2023's ultimate conflict
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Barbenheimer
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 31
Guests cannot vote 
Chez Wombat
post 23rd July 2023, 08:50 PM
Post #1
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

What started as a meme for two polar opposite films has become a full blown phenomenon with both films massively surpassing expectations financially and many seeing them on the same day or opening weekend.

So let's find Buzzjack's answer to this, for those of you that have seen them both, which did you prefer and/or do you have any interest at all in either? Do they work together at all? I'm waiting a few weeks to do this myself as I don't like busy cinemas (as a sensory thing, I do obviously love that they are thriving after many struggles), so I'll come back to this, but those of you that managed it, do share x
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 23rd July 2023, 09:02 PM
Post #2
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

I'm arranging my viewing of 'Oppenheimer' right now. But I saw 'Barbie' already and it was great! I had a real good time with it. SOOOOO good! I'm sure 'Oppenheimer' will be "techinically" the best, but I'm not TOO enthralled by wordy, court room dramas at the best of time. But I do love a good Nolan movie. So we'll see! (Also, it's no secret how I feel about movies over 2 hours long tearsmile.gif - a couple of exceptions ofc)

I do love that this meme has basically given us one of the strongest weekends in box office history. I think it benefited both movies massively, but I honestly believe it helped 'Oppenheimer' a lot more! Like, I think 'Barbie' was gonna get over $100m regardless of whether it was against 'Oppenheimer' or not (the whole meme about "4 tickets to 'Barbie' please" with a Goodfellas image attached would have sold it), but 'Oppenheimer' I'm not sure would have done the numbers it did without it. I just don't think anyone cared much before and I think the $40m-$50m range is definitely what it would have been heading for.

However, I have to celebrate how huge this meme has been and how it's basically given a major boost to the cinema industry at the right time. It's about time! I'm bored of one week wonders.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 23rd July 2023, 09:11 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I wanna keep all of your charm in a canister
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

I've only seen Barbie at the moment but I think I'll watch Oppenheimer next week too. The buzz surrounding these two movies has been an absolute joy to witness! I appreciate how it's been a hand-in-hand thing, creating a portmanteau and lifting both films up, more than pitting the two against each other

Barbie was a really fun watch and I appreciate how it's going to open up dialogue about feminism/equality for younger viewers who may not have been exposed to some of the messages that are spelled out so clearly before, it's a topic close to my heart

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 23rd July 2023, 09:30 PM
Post #4
Group icon

#Barbenheimer became the 4th highest grossing weekend in box office HISTORY (domestic). Contributing to a huge total of $307 million!

The top 5 is pretty insane actually!

01. Apr 26-28, 2019 - $404 million (Avengers: Endgame)
02. Apr 27-29, 2018 - $316 million (Avengers: Infinity War)
03. Dec 18-20, 2015 - $315 million (Star Wars: The Force Awakens)
04. Jul 21-23, 2023 - $307 million (Barbenheimer)
05. Dec 25-27, 2015 - $298 million (Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2nd Week!!!))

(And nothing for Avabore heehee.gif tearsmile.gif)

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 24th July 2023, 11:26 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Definitely interested in seeing Oppenheimer at some point. Almost never go to the cinema anymore so will wait for it on streaming services. No interest in seeing Barbie.

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 24th July 2023, 05:28 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

Went to see Oppenheimer yesterday and plan on seeing Barbie at some point.

Oppenheimer was pretty good, completely unnecessary sex scenes though.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 25th July 2023, 10:02 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

Ive booked in to see barbie on Friday but have zero plans to see Oppenheimer. It’s not my thing

+Quote this post
post 25th July 2023, 10:40 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

Loved both!

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 26th July 2023, 03:18 PM
Post #9
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

I'll go see both. Oppenhemier seems like one of those must-see on the big screen films even though biopics don't really do it for me

But Barbie is very good. Enjoyed it a lot, some of the messages towards the end of the film got lost on me, but the casting was on point throughout. Thought Gosling was brilliant and if the Academy actually liked comedy films, he would surely be up there in terms of being spoken about for a nomination. Just an all round people pleasing film. Hopefully this paves the way for loads more PG-13 based comedies that are actually decent in the wake of the me too movement.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 27th July 2023, 11:17 AM
Post #10
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

had no interest in seeing Barbie but Oppenheimer is going to get me to make a rare journey to the cinema, been hyped for it for a while - planning a good date for it now and it might be the case that I end up seeing Barbie just because of this, very good cultural campaign hit from all involved

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 27th July 2023, 12:16 PM
Post #11
Group icon

The #Barbenheimer promotion has been natural by the public. What started out as a "Warner Bros takes a dig at Nolan by releasing 'Barbie' on the same day" studio feud (Nolan didn't like the day-and-date decision of HBO Max and called it the "worst streaming service" so departed ways with WB and went to Universal to distribute 'Oppenheimer') the public/social media started off making jokes about how they would see 'Barbie' over 'Oppenheimer' and then it became a "we should see both back-to-back #Barbenheimer" kind of campaign and then both studios embracing it as "saving cinema" after the cinema industry had been struggling on a consistent level since the pandemic. It all just fell into place perfectly and naturally.

Now, studios are probably going to try and recreate it and fail due to it coming off as forced & contrived. They're already trying to make "SAW Patrol" happen (SAW X and Paw Patrol released on the same day) and it's just embarrassing.

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 27th July 2023, 12:22 PM
Post #12
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

I’ll probably see both eventually, but I’m not fussed enough by either to see them at the cinema.

+Quote this post
Severin
post 31st July 2023, 10:53 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

Oppenheimer is incredible.

Easily Nolan's best film to date and he's probably my favourite director right now. I can see Oscar nods for Murphy, Downey Jr and Nolan

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 12th August 2023, 11:02 AM
Post #14
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Saw both finally.

absolutely gripped by Oppenheimer all the way through, fantastic film. Politically better than I had expected given commentary around it - I liked how it portrayed the anti-communist McCarthyists as dour witchhunters in contrast to the attractive, moralistic communist party members, so rooted in the awesome power of nuclear weapons that the sound design was frightening at times, great use of historical sources from what I can tell (I was far from an expert on Oppenheimer's life but much of what went on in the film seems to be accurate), well timed release in the July & August that they originally dropped the bombs in, made me relive the Hiroshima museum (one of the most memorable places I've ever been for just how harrowing it is) in my mind despite the film itself not touching too much on those bombings, just the imaginings of what went on in Oppenheimer's mind. Best new film I've seen in a long time, absolutely worth the time I've been waiting to see it.

Barbie was way better than I was expecting too, decent nods to a positive feminism and a delightful little bit of absurd comedy throughout. Not gonna measure up to Oppenheimer for me but a perfectly decent summer film.

+Quote this post
Jester
post 12th August 2023, 05:10 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Right in front of my salad?!
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12

Completed this by watching Oppenheimer today.

Both great films in totally different ways!

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 12th August 2023, 10:04 PM
Post #16
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(Jester @ Aug 12 2023, 06:10 PM) *
Completed this by watching Oppenheimer today.

Both great films in totally different ways!

Same here!

Oppenheimer was incredible. Nolan putting his stamp down continually as one of the iconic filmakers. I didn't know what to expect, but I found myself way more gripped through the movie than I thought I would be. Visually it was superb and they did a great job of showing the after effects of the weight of what Oppenheimer did.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 14th August 2023, 04:33 PM
Post #17
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Finally seen both so can vote now! Was a useful activity to do when I had no internet a few days after moving into my new place x

Barbie was really great, I think they really did a great job in crafting a pretty funny and clever story around a brand that the whole family can enjoy, I really appreciated the different types of humour, the performances and the brilliant design of everything. My favourite jokes that sadly went unappreciated at my screening were the narrator saying Margot Robbie is the wrong person to be saying she doesn't feel beautiful anymore and Depression Barbie watching BBC's Pride and Prejudice over and over <3, and contrary to the expected Conservative crybaby response from some, I think the messages and themes were delivered very well for the most part (as well as one can given Mattel literally made this x), definitely a tad heavy handed at times with those monologues, but it did a great job pointing out the positives and the flaws of male and female gender expectations.

Oppenheimer though, I'm glad I did this second as I'm not sure I could've seen anything else after that! A contender of my favourite film of the year. The acting, sound design and sheer sense of suspense throughout was impeccable, it really didn't feel like three hours and actually felt the time was used really well for the most part. The test bomb sequences and the constant building sound at moments of tension were breathtaking and I can't remember a full theatre being so quiet at a sequence before. Nolan did really well to keep the focus on the lead character despite the frantic running through storylines and complicated jargon and keep a sense of heart and keeping the human spirit at the centre, which was really missing from Tenet in particular. I would've personally liked more focus on the Hiroshima and Nagasaki impact the hallucination as he gives the speech following the bombing was one of my favourite moments, but I do understand the reason not to and just focus on the man himself (whom I did not know an awful lot about outside of that prior).

So yes, Oppenheimer a pretty easy choice for favourite, but that's no slight on Barbie. They are both brilliant in their own ways and it's been wonderful seeing two original (well not entirely in one case but still x) films capture the imagination of so many this summer.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 14th August 2023, 05:12 PM
Post #18
Group icon
I wanna keep all of your charm in a canister
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Oppenheimer was indeed stunningly suspenseful throughout and I found the very last scene with Oppenheimer and Einstein a powerful note to end on.

I've experienced Cillian Murphy brainrot ever since, he's so awesome, would love him to win an Oscar for that fantastic portrayal

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 19th August 2023, 12:31 AM
Post #19
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

None of them ta cool.gif

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 20th August 2023, 02:30 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

QUOTE(Mack. @ Aug 19 2023, 01:31 AM) *
None of them ta cool.gif

No offence but I don't really understand what purpose this comment serves?

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th April 2024, 07:50 PM