BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jennifer Lopez - The Singles Rate: RESULTS, Completed Full Results On Page 6..
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post Sep 2 2017, 07:17 PM
Post #1
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

After weeks of voting, the results will finally be posted here. An impressive 32 of you voted in this thread with 39 singles in the running which will come out on top. Any thoughts, any predictions, all will be revealed right here in this thread.
  • Some facts
  • The winning song won by just 0.5,, resulting in a very close battle
  • A three way tie within' the top 20
  • The entire top 11 had an average of 8, none scored lower than a 5 average
  • Only 3 songs didn't score any 10's.
For anyone whose interested, these are the results from the last rate that took part in 2013..

01. Waiting For Tonight
02. On The Floor
03. Love Don't Cost A Thing
04. If You Had My Love
05. Play
06. Ain't It Funny
07. Get Right
08. Jenny From The Block
09. I'm Into You
10. Do It Well
11. Dance Again
12. I'm Glad
13. Let's Get Loud
14. I'm Real
15. I'm Gonna Be Alright
16. Papi
17. Qué Hiciste
18. All I Have
19. Hold It Don't Drop It
20. Live It Up
21. Me Haces Falta
22. Baby I Love U
23. Feelin' So Good
24. Goin' In
25. Hold You Down

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Sep 23 2017, 01:55 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Sep 2 2017, 09:16 PM
Post #2
Group icon
You can go harder or you can go home

39. T.H.E. (The Hardest Ever) (Ft Will.i.am + Mick Jagger) | Avg.5.064

Highest Scores: 10: (Cucumberella, Tombo), Lowest Scores: -1/0: (Jack, SamJudd, vibe, PAJ88, Scene)

At #39 and not surprisingly in last place 'T.H.E. (The Hardest Ever)', which features Will.i.am & Mick Jagger. Considering this had more -1's than any other song in this rate, it's still managed to finish higher that 'WAO', but this did manage a few high scores throughout. Originally this was gonna be the lead single from Will.i.am's 4th studio album '#willPOWER', but didn't make the final tracklistling, despite being a sizeable hit in several countries including the UK where it reached #3 and top 20 peaks in Canada, Ireland, Scotland & Austria. This song wouldn't sound out of place on any of the last 2 Black Eyed Pea's albums, as it does have that very familiar production that's overstuffed with everything including the kitchen sink thrown in. Even Jennifer Lopez sounds bored on this with her vocals processed, cold and devoid of emotion. Even by the time Mick Jagger shows up it's way too late to save this mess of a song, as this is definitely a Will.i.am show in all it's heavy handiness lack of style.

38. We Are One (Ole Ola) (Ft Pitbull & Claudia Leitte) | One Love, One Rhythm | Avg.5.103

Highest Scores: 9.5/9: (Regina, JosephStyles), Lowest Scores: 1: (Rossco, PAJ88, gavindeejay)

At #38 is another of Jen's many collaborations with Pitbull 'We Are One (Ole Ola)', along with Brazilian singer Claudia Leitte, and was the official song of the 2014 FIFA World Cup, and released in April 2014. Response to the song was lukewarm at best ,due to a number of factors, one being that there's too much Pitbull and not enough JLO or Claudia, as well as not paying enough homage to Brazil's rich heritage, as well as the music video being full of clichés. Despite that the song did become a big hit in several countries by topping the charts in Belgium + Hungary, as well as decent peaks in Swiss, Lebanon, France, Poland, Germany + etc. But in the USA the song was labelled a flop by only reaching #59. To put it simply in my opinion the song lacks a hook or chorus, there's just nothing memorable about it and has become long forgotten soon after it's release, and by this time I think everybody was probably sick of Jen's and Pitbull's teamup's by this point.

37. Feelin' So Good (Ft Big Pun + Fat Joe) | On The 6 | Avg.5.733

Highest Scores: 9: all is vanity, Lowest Scores: 3: (CianS, blacksquare)

At #37 we lose the first of Jennifer Lopez's album singles 'Feelin' So Good', which was released in January 2000 and taken as the 3rd single from her debut album 'On The 6'. Now this is a shame, In no way does this deserve to be in the bottom 3, sure it's not one of her better efforts, but it's not that bad surely, apart from a single score of 9 and three 8's, the scores for this were mainly underwhelming, consisting of mainly 4's and 5's. A sad fact Big Pun who features on this single died of a heart attack around the time of the single's release. This was originally gonna be the lead single at one point, but was thankfully changed to the far superior 'IYHML'. This was far more R&B than her previous singles at this point in her career, an indication of the sound she would later take on further albums, although far more refined and polished. But this is decent enough with a good backing beat, a memorable chorus along with that typical 90's hip-hop sound, that yes is pretty dated now, but who cares it's fun. Upon release this wasn't quite as successful as the previous 2 singles by only peaking at #51 on the USA Top 100, but was far more successful worldwide by reaching #7 in Canada, and hit top 20 peaks in New Zealand, UK + Australia.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Jan 29 2019, 12:36 AM

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Sep 2 2017, 09:20 PM
Post #3
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
We Are One is a great song! Doesn't deserve to be that low at all drama.gif

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Sep 2 2017, 09:20 PM
Post #4
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835
T.H.E. too low sad.gif same with the Pitbull song

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Sep 2 2017, 09:25 PM
Post #5
Group icon
There will be another 3 in the next selection, some clues 2 album singles and 1 standalone any predictions.

+Quote this post
...ready for it
post Sep 2 2017, 10:15 PM
Post #6
Group icon
I'm not asleep, my mind is alive.
Pronouns: she/her
User: 1,454
Poor Feelin' So Good. sad.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Sep 2 2017, 11:50 PM
Post #7
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217
We Are One (Ole Ola) is heavily underrated then... wouldn't have pegged it as a last place contender. sad.gif

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Sep 3 2017, 03:03 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Did you expect me to reason with thunder.

36. I Luh Ya Papi (Ft French Montana) | A.K.A. | Avg.5.741

Highest Scores: 9: (Regina, classydude, Tombo), Lowest Scores: 1: (Rossco)

At #36 is the ridiculously titled 'I Luh Ya Papi' released in March 2014 as the lead single from her 8th album A.K.A.. Originally titled 'I Luh You N***' and was claimed to be written by Tinashe for her debut album 'Aquarius', but ended up in JLO's hands and after several delays with her own album, and a couple of singles failing to take off, it was decided that this was to finally lead the project. While the music video is fun and visually stunning, the song sadly isn't, a hip-hop song with a synth melody and while the song is certainly catchy, it quickly runs out of steam, not quite reaching those heights and definitely ranks as the weakest lead single she has ever released. Upon release it didn't exactly set the charts alight either by peaking at a paltry #77 on the US Billboard charts, and faring even worse on the UK charts by peaking at a low #170. Elsewhere it didn't make much impact and failed to chart in most countries.

35. Baby I Love U | This Is Me...Then | Avg.5.844

Highest Scores: 10: (gavindeejay), Lowest Scores: 0: (Tawdry Hepburn)

[font="Arial"]A slice of early JLO at #35 with the cheesy love ballad 'Baby I Love U', released in August 2003, and taken as the 4th and final single from her 3rd album 'This Is Me...Then. Obviously we all know who this was written about, in fact the entire album it comes from was written about a certain actor. Not a terrible song by any means, her vocals do sound really good on this R&B ballad that talks about unconditional love which samples the interpolation of theme for 'Midnight Cowboy' movie, and uses it really well and doesn't sound out of place at all, in fact it blends in really nicely. There's not really a lot to say about this song, just that it's nice enough that borders on the cheesy side, and on the whole quite forgettable. Upon release it came several months after the last single, which was odd considering everybody thought that the era was over and done with. In the UK it performed quite well by reaching #3 (taking full advantage of the low sales era), but didn't perform as well in the USA where it peaked at #72, probably due to next to none promotion.

[size=4]34. Feel The Light | Home | Avg.5.937

Highest Scores: 10: (Regina), Lowest Scores: 2: (Davidson)

At #34 is the nice ballad 'Feel The Light', released in February 2015 and featured on the soundtrack to the hit DreamWorks animated feature 'Home', where Jennifer Lopez also voices one of the characters, along with big names such as Rihanna, Steve Martin & Jim Parsons. A beautiful and heartfelt ballad with such convincing delivery, she has never sounded better, in fact I think her voice has improved and along with a simple piano production that compliments her voice beautifully.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Sep 7 2017, 06:57 AM

+Quote this post
Riser
post Sep 3 2017, 03:37 AM
Post #9
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534
I never realized how good 'I Luh Ya Papi' is until I listened through all these singles last night!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Sep 3 2017, 04:45 PM
Post #10
Group icon
She got the boom, shake the room

33. Goin' In (Ft Flo Rida) | Dance Again...The Hits | Avg.5.982

Highest Scores: 10: (Tombo, Floater), Lowest Scores: -1: (Davidson)

At #33 is 'Goin' In', released in June 2012 as the 2nd and final single from her Greatest Hits collection and features Flo Rida as well as Lil' John on guest verses. If it wasn't for the last minute 10 score then this would have finished a little lower, and did receive quite a few high scores throughout the rate, but did get bogged down by 15 low scores which is why it lingers towards the bottom 10 of this rate. This is probably her hardest dance club anthem yet, thanks to production by GoonRock, and after reinventing herself the year before with this kind of sound, it suits her quite well and doesn't really stray that far away from her massive comeback single of 2011. Sure this is one of her most dynamic songs with lots of shifts in tempos and movements , but doesn't really leave that lasting impression and kinda gets forgotten amongst the shuffle, as well as a lot of songs from this year had that same club sound, it was easy to this get lost. Upon release it failed to chart on both the UK and US charts, while only making minor impressions on the charts in Austria, Brazil, Canada & Germany. This fared much better on the dance charts worldwide where it really suited that genre better.

32. Booty (Ft Iggy Azalea) | A.K.A. | Avg.6.016

Highest Scores: 10: (Regina), Lowest Scores: -1/0: (Tombo, The Pensmith)

Next up we lose the 2nd of the 'A.K.A.' era singles, leaving just 1 left in the running, the infamous 'Booty', which was released in September 2014 as the 3rd and final single from that album and was remixed from it's original form to feature Iggy Azalea instead of Pitbull. Originally she didn't want to record a track of this nature, but when she played it in her car in front of her kids, they loved it and the rest became history. My only surprise is that it took her this long to record a song about her booty. Now to say that this song caused a stir upon release, isn't doing it justice, in fact this has to be her most polarizing song to date and yes this was a total last ditch attempt to save her singing career, as the response to the album and previous singles was tepid at best, and while this didn't quite save the era from flopping, it did show that she can keep up with today's modern standards. I actually really like this song, sure it's tacky as hell and has no lyrical depth whatsoever, it's just a fun dance pop song with an hilarious music video to boot, but she does look fantastic in it, especially for 46. Upon release it quickly became the album's biggest hit in the USA by reaching #18, and performed moderately elsewhere.

31. Adrenalina (Ft Wisin' & Ricky Martin) | Avg.6.021

Highest Scores: 10: (Regina, classydude, Adelina555), Lowest Scores: 0: (Mack)

At #31 is the first of JLO's non English speaking singles to drop 'Adrenalina' which is a song by Puerto Rican singer Wisin and also features Ricky Martin. Released in February 2014 and features on Wisin's second studio album 'El Regreso del Sobrevviente'. If this was based on points then this would be at the bottom of this rate, due to it getting 23 out of 31 rates, a lot of people don't know this song, which isn't a surprise considering that it's in Spanish and was really only a hit on the Billboard Latin Charts, but did manage to cross over to the US Top 100 peaking at #96, as well as charting in a few other countries. The song is a fun, energetic number with each artist delivering a passionate and memorable performance, and the pace is fast, upbeat and full of life with each artist embracing their roots and really giving it their all with excellent chemistry. A really great summer anthem with slick production that will sure to get your feet tapping, and while it may not be to everyone's taste, it's still a hell of a good time.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Sep 3 2017, 04:48 PM
Post #11
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530
Booty gets way too much hate! It's so much fun.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Sep 3 2017, 09:43 PM
Post #12
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217
The best thing about I Luh Ya Papi is its video cool2.gif

+Quote this post
Regina
post Sep 3 2017, 09:46 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572
I Luh Ya Papi is a gem of a song, one of her best.

Feel The Light shoulda bene higher sob.gif and Booty is iconic but Pitbull's raps are better.

+Quote this post
Razor
post Sep 3 2017, 09:57 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,924
Feelin' So Good deserves better, such a good vibe song cry.gif

We Are One rotf.gif

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post Sep 3 2017, 10:02 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471
I Luh Ya Papi is an underrated bop

Goin In' has a great opening twenty seconds and then just turns into noise (those verses vom)

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Sep 3 2017, 10:20 PM
Post #16
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
Still prefer the Pitbull version of Booty. Doing a collab with Iggy just as her career started to tank was unfortunate.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post Sep 4 2017, 10:28 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 12,837
I Luh Ya Papi and Booty finishing higher than We Are One and T.H.E. nocheer.gif nocheer.gif

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Sep 4 2017, 10:36 AM
Post #18
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835
There is not any out I love atm so phew laugh.gif

I thought Goin In was more liked tho ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Sep 4 2017, 01:37 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Back when everybody said I wasn't anything

30. Hold You Down (Ft Fat Joe) | Rebirth | Avg.6.133

Highest Scores: 10: (Adelina555), 9: (Mack), Lowest Scores: -1: (Lukuzz)

At #30 is JLO's second collaboration with Fat Joe, 'Hold You Down', released in April 2005 as the 2nd and final single from her 4th album 'Rebirth'. This wasn't seen as a wise move by fans or critics, firstly following on from the success of the lead single, this was just seen as a weak follow up and in my opinion that's pretty spot on, sure it's sweet and has a nice melody where the lyrics speaks of the friendship between her and Fat Joe where both artists on this are allowed space to breathe instead of trying to outdo each other. But when it comes down to it, the song is just bland and tries too hard to copy the same formula of her previous duet with LL Cool J on 'All I Have'. The lack of success this had halted any further singles from the project 'Cherry Pie' was planned as the 3rd single, but got scrapped when this underperformed on the US Billboard charts by only peaking at #64. Elsewhere it performed much better by reaching #6 in the UK, and hit top 20 peaks in Spain, New Zealand, Ireland & Australia.

For some reason the official music video won't post on here, so I used the live performance instead.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Sep 4 2017, 09:02 PM

+Quote this post
vibe
post Sep 4 2017, 04:48 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
Feelin So Good deserves much a much higher placing.

+Quote this post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:39 PM