BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Persephonia / National Thread, BJSC 120: Vegyn - Debold
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Brer
post Sep 21 2016, 11:10 PM
Post #21
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
QUOTE(Jade @ Sep 21 2016, 11:49 PM) *
That ridiculous drought for 'Thelema' was painful to witness so I'm glad it clawed its way up the scoreboard nearer the end. Doing a Poland making a not so impressive position seem way more exciting tbh *.* I think the 27th I received for CROSSPARTY in the same kind of way feels like way more than just any bog standard 27th place, 'cause of the circumstances laugh.gif Anyway~ at least you beat 'Fuqboi' right xx That was the true battle here.

Pleased that you managed to attract a lot of big fans out of those who voted for you, as those are the best kind of fans *.* Thanks very much for the discovery as I'm playing it a lot at the moment heart.gif

SLAY ME at acknowledging that I have actually won 3 spinoffs <3 Ryan TAKE THAT. kink.gif

Indeed haha, seems to be a theme emerging with witchy entries (at least the less popular ones lol) ~ I was actually kind of laughing at how horrendously I was doing for the first 2/3 of the reveal though biggrin.gif (and oh yes Persephonia vs. Medhelnia the true fight *.)

#justiceforbj10 x
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Sep 23 2016, 02:38 AM
Post #22
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
I was a little surprised at how much "Thelema" was behind because I thought there would be more people taking a liking to this sort of Future instrumental lol. Then I saw all the high points and I was just like "oh."

+Quote this post
Brer
post Sep 27 2016, 10:57 PM
Post #23
Group icon
Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 27/09/2016

Persephonia get another hosting job assisting Jadakissnia for BJSC 89!

As N DNTN were sadly unable to host BJSC 89 after their win in the previous contest, hosting rights fell to the next highest new host which turned out to be 3rd placed Jadakissnia, and now after some more slightly last minute arrangements to make sure they didn't also have to pass on the rights (lol) it's been confirmed that Persephonia shall also be assisting in hosting the contest, lending Carellis as the venue city for the semi-final performances and totalling up the semi-final votes. All international delegations will be given complementary first-class seats on the Bradestar undersea railway line immediately after semi-final voting has closed for the remainder of the contest to take place in Nadallius, the beautiful and scenic capital of Jadakissnia. This will not affect Persephonia's other current hosting venture, the Instrumentals spinoff - more on that in the next headline story - though as the Persephonian BJSC Committee's resources are split between the two, the BJSC 89 semi-finals will be a slightly lower budget affair than previous contests that Persephonia has hosted and co-hosted. x

Confirmations for BJSC 89 have opened tonight (clicky clicky above x) and we hope to see as many countries as possible putting forward their tunes to be performed at Carellis Arena in the semi-finals next week! Per BJSC regulations as usual we cannot reveal our own entry yet but we can confirm that we are adding Slovakia as a new nationality (and Slovak as a new language #waronenglish) that has represented us, with a stringtastic chilled out electronic beauty that the PBJSCC is very much looking forward to being in the contest, although they're not the most confident they've ever been in qualifying. ;o

obligatory teaser image

Jake Chudnow representing Persephonia on home soil for the Instrumentals spinoff

Also kicking off in a very eventful evening for BJSC is the voting stage for the Instrumentals spinoff in our very own city of Kobbar. Turnout has been unexpectedly excellent with 41 countries taking part, the most for an 'official' spinoff since Worldvision I (although the BuzzJack 10th Anniversary contest also had more entries), despite initial expectations/fears that the theme would be considered a little more niche and inaccessible than most spinoffs. Hooray! Now bring on the complaints that it's too long. x

Anyway, this of course means that we can confirm our entry, and it's one that might be familiar to people who paid attention to the dying days of our last national thread (hence the lack of a teaser image, although if we did one it would be the one above because CATS ~). Representing Persephonia shall be London based electronic music producer Jake Chudnow with 'Shona', which was one of the six potentials we put forward for our entry to BJSC 87, ultimately losing out to TWRR's 'Water Frozen'. Have a listen and a watch of the rather trippy official music video below:

Chudnow's music, including this track, is best known for being featured in the background of many (all?) of the videos uploaded by the educational YouTube channel Vsauce. We recommend people check out this channel if they don't know about it already. But that's irrelevant to the song x 'Shona' is an ambient techno track clocking in a little over 5 minutes and mostly based around a simple repeating synth riff but with lots of cool and interesting sonic twists and turns throughout ~ anyone who has been a fan of the output of the likes of Skall and Ethanola in BJSC over the last year we hope may be a fan of this too. And anyone who hated all of those entries will doubtless hate this as well. But we kind of hope there are less of those people inclined to actually enter an instrumentals spinoff. kink.gif The song dates back to at least November 2013 according to its YouTube upload date but was released to iTunes in March 2015 on the Bloc label, alongside a B-side confusingly named 'Prelude To Shona' which is also a pretty great little piece of music, but it's not quite as good at keeping attention and is 3 minutes longer so we stuck with the original 'Shona' for this contest. x

'Shona' has been drawn in the 14th slot of the running order which you can view here - and get cracking with listening to the fine selection of instrumental tunage! ;o

+Quote this post
Jade
post Sep 27 2016, 11:10 PM
Post #24
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
Sorry for making you such a busy bee in the BJSC world this month on top of Instrumentals blush.gif But I am so excited to be co-hosting BJSC 89 with you! cheer.gif We shall have a lot of fun with it. <3 Excited to hear your Slovak song for the first time, sounds pretty daym interesting on nationality alone ;o

As for Instrumentals, I am so pleased with your choice for it! As I already commented in your thread when you wanted feedback on your potentials, 'Shona' was one of the strongest that you had ~ I am a sucker for synths. *.*

+Quote this post
Brer
post Oct 7 2016, 09:21 PM
Post #25
Group icon
Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 07/10/2016
already starting to drift into posting these a few days late again lamfoo

Fallgrapp to compete for Persephonia in Persephonia for BJSC 89!

The semi-finals of BJSC 89 are now underway in Carellis following the last-minute hosting arrangement change that brought the contest here again! So performing to a home crowd shall be our 68th main contest entrant Fallgrapp with 'Vlasy', the second single from their first and to date only album 'Rieka', released back in May 2014. Fallgrapp is a project by Slovak electronic music producer Juraj "Jureš" Líška in collaboration with numerous other artists including Nora Ibsenová, the vocalist on 'Vlasy'.

Continuing our periodic war on the English language, we move from an instrumental in the last contest to another fresh foreign language here, of course Slovak in this case, which joins Icelandic (one-and-a-half times), French, Persian, Arabic (twice), Japanese and Mandarin Chinese in the list of non-English languages that Persephonia have sent to the main contest, while Slovakia also joins our list of nationalities. As already teased, the track is a chilled electronic/trip-hop track with a lovely strings section (and some lovely vocals which don't seem to translate into anything meaningful in English kink.gif something about hair, as that is the translation of the title). It is inspired by and has been compared to the music of Bonobo, who Fallgrapp has also performed live with. Listen to the song and watch the video (important as ever with our entries!!1) below:

'Vlasy' has been drawn as the 20th song out of 33 in semi-final 1, any and all support is appreciated! Would be a tad embarrassing to DNQ in a semi-final we hosted eh.

Continuing our watch for former Persephonian alumni turning up again in recent contests, Terra Avium have selected Kids Of The Apocalypse - of course behind our BJSC 61 silver medal winner 'EMPIRE' - to represent them in this contest, performing in the 18th slot in semi-final 2 with 'Better Life' (feat. Wes Period), their comeback song which surfaced earlier this year after they seemed to drop off the face of the planet following the release of 'EMPIRE'. In fairness, we actually kind of borrowed them from Terra Avium to begin with, as their debut track 'Masters Of The Sun' had previously appeared in Unknown Pleasures sponsored by the Terra Avian government. Ou Est Le Swimming Pool's 'Dance The Way I Feel' has also very belatedly shown up in the contest, representing Medhelnia in semi-final 2 slot 6, after Persephonia had previously come very close to sending it ourselves in BJSC 70 (by which time it was already several years old). The Persephonian BJSC Committee fully endorses this belated appearance as well as KOTA's return.

Also, as we forgot to mention it in our last bulletin, 2 more Persephonian alumni appear in the Instrumentals spinoff: Beat Connection (our BJSC 34 DNQs and Your Best of BJSC - The Rejects moral winner with 'In The Water') are in slot 24 in the spinoff representing Syndare with the not-quite-instrumental-but-close-enough 'Theme From Yours Truly', and just three songs later is another former Persephonian artist, DANCE WITH THE DEAD who of course gave us our most recent medal (3rd place in BJSC 79) with 'Waves', also an instrumental, and now return representing Cor Lupus with 'Poison'.

+Quote this post
m
post Oct 7 2016, 09:30 PM
Post #26
Group icon
I asked for my account to be banned
User: 7,132
VLASY :wubwubwub:

+Quote this post
Jade
post Oct 7 2016, 09:32 PM
Post #27
Group icon
Alone and wounded
This is an utter beaut of an entry heart.gif Though after you singing it IRL, I'm afraid the actual vocals on this just do not compare kink.gif

Srsly though this was a definite standout in a semi that felt pretty underwhelming in places. I will be so disappointed if it DNQs but I think it will stand out enough to make it. One at least hopes.

Yasss with the foreign language diversity *.*

+Quote this post
Brer
post Oct 7 2016, 09:32 PM
Post #28
Group icon
(Also as I privately discussed with Mattias already kink.gif it may have been a bit of unintentional stealing from his Unknown Pleasures potentials oops. Well at least I know I have one fan in my semi! x)

+Quote this post
Brer
post Oct 16 2016, 09:36 PM
Post #29
Group icon
Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 16/10/2016

Fallgrapp puts us in our 50th BJSC final

As announced on Tuesday, Fallgrapp's 'Vlasy' has made it through to the final of BJSC 89, now being held in Nadallius, Jadakissnia, increasing our current qualification streak to 5 (and our 2016 total to 8 out of 9 qualifiers) and notably becoming our 50th BJSC finalist! This total includes the seven contests of the One Big Final era, three further contests where we auto-qualified and BJSC 64 where all songs qualified after the semi-finals were cancelled (though our entry then would have qualified anyway). FSR Rontvia continue to be the country with the longest qualification streak, making it to an 11th final in a row. 'Vlasy' has been drawn in slot 37 of the 42 songs in the final.

There were some very harsh losses in semi-final 1 with 2 of the top 3 from our votes not qualifying - our 12 did make it, but we awarded 10 points to Clément Bazin's 'With You' representing Deandria which somehow finished second last, and 8 points to Beaverskankdonia's The Eden Project with 'Chasing Ghosts' which also fell short. Of the rest of our votes, our 4 pointer (Espen with Mashrou' Leila's 'Kalam' (H4Z3 Private Mix)) was the only other to not progress, while from the Persephonian public's semi-final 2 rankings the top 7 all qualified but 8th-10th (FKA FKA FKA π with Francis And The Lights' 'I Want You To Shake', Ethanola with Noir and Olivier Giacomotto's 'Reste' (Raxon Remix) and Kluminican Republic with ODESZA's 'It's Only' (feat. Zyra) respectively) did not.

BJSC Instrumentals summary

In news that is also several days out of date (slacking), the Instrumentals spinoff in our very own nation concluded on Wednesday with a very welcome result for the host entry. The Persephonian BJSC Committee had hoped that Jake Chudnow's 'Shona' would be better suited to this spinoff than a main contest and while we'll never know that for sure, it looks like that may well have been the case as it finished a very strong 5th place out of 41 with 199 points. That's the most points we have ever received in a spinoff, beating the 178 scored by SEXWITCH's 'Kassidat El Hakka' in last year's Halloween I spinoff. It's also our fourth top 5 success in a spinoff, though we are still yet to finish in the medal positions in any of them (unless you count BJFestivalen IV as a spinoff), having two fourth places and two fifth places as well as two other top 10s. Thanks to all of the 23 countries who voted for 'Shona' (also a record for us in a spinoff), especially Syndare who were our biggest supporters providing us a 15, and Aeroche, Deandria, Flynnonda and Skall who each gave it 13 points. cheer.gif

The race for the win was very close throughout, with the main contenders initially looking to be Terra Avium and Avalonia, but ultimately after a burst of very high scores (including four 18s in the space of five votes), Fljótavík came from behind to take the lead in the last few votes and ended up winning the whole thing with Underworld's 'And I Will Kiss' (feat. Evelyn Glennie and The Pandemonium Drummers). The song, famous for its excellent use in the 2012 London Olympics opening ceremony, clearly didn't put off too many people despite being more than twice as long as any other song in the contest (at a total length of 17 minutes and 15 seconds), still being among the songs with the most votes and also having the most 18s with six in total. This was Fljótavík's first top 10, let alone winner, in the spinoffs. Its score of 250 points was just 5 more than second place which went to Terra Avium with Lights & Motion's 'The Spectacular Quiet', thus meaning their search for a contest winner continues as it is their second (and far, far, far superior) spinoff silver medallist (after 'Nightcall' by Kavinsky feat. Lovefoxxx in BJSC Movies) while their main contest peak is 3rd. Narrowly behind them in 3rd with 238 points was Avalonia with Thomas Bergersen's 'Empire Of Angels', Avalonia's first medal position in either a spinoff or a main contest. The fourth and final song to pass 200 points - as we fell frustratingly short ~ - was Taahino with a Nightcore version of BanYa's 'Beethoven Virus', with 226 points, also marking a new peak for them.

The rest of the top 10 was completed by Federal Republic of Ashton in 6th place with Ludovico Einaudi's 'Le Onde', Deandria continuing to have much more success in the spinoffs than the main contest, 7th place with Vessels' '4AM', St. Burbia 8th with 'Hearing' by Sleeping At Last, Medhelnia 9th with 'Yebisah' by Mark Knight and Aelandor at last getting a good BJSC result coming 10th with Gramatik's 'Illusion Of Choice'. Dobago would have likely come around 7th with Eric Johnson's 'Cliffs Of Dover' had they submitted votes but a 33% deduction kicked them down to 19th. Notably for a contest some expected to be dominated by dance songs, only our own song could really be called dance out of the top 8 (another moral victory??), with the contest as a whole turning out to be pleasingly varied in genres. We had a lot of fun hosting this spinoff, thanks to all who participated, and the campaign starts now for the sequel we now move swiftly onto the Country spinoff in Unocastellia, Unovia.

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC Instrumentals

Points awarded:
18 Republic of Adonia // Lone - Backtail Was Heavy
15 Fljótavík // Underworld - And I Will Kiss (feat. Evelyn Glennie and The Pandemonium Drummers)
13 St. Burbia // Sleeping At Last - Hearing

12 Terra Avium // Lights & Motion - The Spectacular Quiet
11 FKA FKA FKA π // Arca - Vanity
10 Jadakissnia // Op:l Bastards - Scorpius
9 South Danaelanda // Steve Hill and Technikal - Technique
8 Taahino // BanYa - Beethoven Virus (Nightcore)
7 Ethanola // Frank T.R.A.X. - Nebuchan (O.R.G.A.N. Mix)
6 Břtanikkä // Mellow Trax - Phuture Vibes

5 Avalonia // Thomas Bergersen - Empire Of Angels
4 Syndare // Beat Connection - Theme From Yours Truly
3 Aeroche // AFX - PWSteal.Ldpinch.D
2 Deandria // Vessels - 4AM
1 Federal Republic of Ashton // Ludovico Einaudi - Le Onde

16th-40th:
Trifoski // Eats Everything - Big Discs
Skall // Fatima Yamaha - What's A Girl To Do
Cadelicia // ZUN - U.N. Owen Was Her?
Niceland // Arpadys - Monkey Star
Aelandor // Gramatik - Illusion Of Choice
Séyetana // Ken Arai - Next To You
Alteria // Teenage Fanclub - Is This Music?
Cor Lupus // DANCE WITH THE DEAD - Poison
Land of DW // Sunbeam - Outside World
Quintessa // Yoko Shimomura - Hikari (Kingdom Orchestra Instrumental Version)
Medhelnia // Mark Knight - Yebisah
Thelonia // Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs - American Dream Part II
Dobago // Eric Johnson - Cliffs Of Dover
Ramrynia // Johan Liljedahl and Calle Rasmusson - The Grey People
FSR Rontvia // Sonority - Chase The Sun
Triangledonia // Moonbootica - June (Robby East Remix)
Flynnonda // Melvv - Reflection
Suedeonia // Blancmange - Sad Day
Mulgracia // Glude - Breathe
Hushkanukia // David Brockett - The Last Stand
Pupok // César Dávila-Irizarry and Charlie Clouser - American Horror Story Theme
Altyr Muunilinst // David Buckley - Hitting The Fan
Ultraviolenceland // Ennio Morricone - The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
Kluminican Republic // Hans Zimmer and John Powell - Oogway Ascends
Lomaja // Lets Be Friends - Allow It

And a teaser for our upcoming Country entry (likely the only time we'll ever be sending something that can be decribed as country but we look forward to a very different spinoff ;o)...

+Quote this post
Jade
post Oct 16 2016, 09:47 PM
Post #30
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Ooh what an honour it is for your 50th qualifier to happen in the Jadaphonia contest *.* Slay me, this was way too good of an entry to miss out so yas BJSC voters for letting both of us qualify.

Very smooth and all-round excellent Instrumentals hosting (not that I would have expected any less of course!) *.* and getting a top 5 out of it is an amazing result. Well done heart.gif *high five* for the exact point swap also :cheeseblock:

Looking forward to hearing your country entry ;o I hope you may enjoy mine but we shall see. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Oct 16 2016, 09:53 PM
Post #31
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
I should just quit spin-offs and just focus on the regular contest

+Quote this post
m
post Oct 17 2016, 07:35 AM
Post #32
Group icon
QUOTE(24k Cody @ Oct 16 2016, 10:53 PM) *
I should just quit spin-offs and just focus on the regular contest

opposite for me it seems haha

I do enjoy the spin-offs, thanks for another great one Bré! I did have an inkling it wouldn't be dominated by dance, there are so many great instrumentals out there that ain't dance, as we have now proven. And almost all of these were discoveries (of the good kind) for me, I vaguely knew the Gramatik track and one or two of the soundtracks, I guess I probably should've also known the winner seeing as it was used in the Olympics (plus I quite like the artist in general), but I must've not been paying that much attention kink.gif

Congrats on new points total in a spin-off too, that must be so annoying being ONE point away from 200! And wow, 50th BJSC final, that's quite something funky.gif And what a song to do it with! 'Vlasy' is nothing short of lush heart.gif

+Quote this post
jakewild
post Oct 17 2016, 12:18 PM
Post #33
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
User: 2,790
slay me this month tbh

+Quote this post
Brer
post Oct 21 2016, 11:35 PM
Post #34
Group icon
Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 22/10/2016

Persephonia go country for the new spinoff with Jason Isbell

Rapidly following up our Instrumentals spinoff, the follow-up started on Thursday night with two-time spinoff winners Unovia hosting (in the city of Unocastellia). The theme for this one is Country and Persephonia have put forward American (duh) singer-songwriter Jason Isbell with 'Elephant', perhaps a bit closer to folk/Americana than country music but we have seen it described as 'alternative country' so that'll do. x

Isbell is a former member of the band Drive-By Truckers who have had a couple of UK top 40 albums since his departure, while he himself had a #17 album last year with 'Something More Than Free'. 'Elephant' however is from his non-charting fourth solo album 'Southeastern' (released in 2013). Be warned, this is a real tear-jerker of a track, telling the heartbreaking tale of a significant other suffering from cancer (the disease being the titular 'elephant' in the room that Jason and his woman want to avoid talking about). sob.gif We hope that a few other countries in the spinoff appreciate the ~emotion~ though we certainly have pretty low expectations with such a gloomy and depressing entry amongst what we assume will probably be mostly upbeat country-pop songs. x The song has been drawn 3rd in the running order out of 27 entries in total.

BJSC 89 summary

- Following our hosting of the semi-finals the final of BJSC 89 was expertly hosted by Nadallius, Jadakissnia with the results on Tuesday evening. Fallgrapp's 'Vlasy' was another successful entry for Persephonia, finishing 20th out of 42 songs in the final to deliver our 6th top 20 hit of the year, matching the national record we set last year! (It's also the second time in three contests we've come 20th after never doing so previously). Its points total of 195 was our third highest of the year, and included points from 26 different countries - tying our year to date best - with the full 18 points awarded to us by Deandria and Terra Avium, and 15 points coming from Aelandor. The former two both awarded Persephonia their top marks for the second time this year. As we already knew but could not previously report magic.gif 'Vlasy' came 11th in semi-final 1 of the contest with 73 points, putting it on course for a 19th place finish in the final, more or less in line with what actually happened (which seems surprisingly rare recently). Much appreciation as ever to all who voted for us! x

- The winner of BJSC 89 was, for once, one that wasn't even picked out as a contender by bookmakers across the BJSC world. After their DNQ two contests back #00274E seem to be stronger than ever: they came second in the last contest and followed it up this time with a very unexpected win with their auto-qualifying entry, 'Relax' by Crystal Waters, a song which predates the existence of BuzzJack (and this editor being born x) as it was a UK #37 hit back in 1995, though is not near as well-known as her classic 'Gypsy Woman (She's Homeless)' (which was incidentally also in BJSC already in the Dance Anthems 90s spinoff representing B.a.N.G, and actually did nowhere near this well, finishing just 15th). 'Relax' breezed past all of the favourites while seemingly completely lacking any visible hype to narrowly finish on top with a total of 317 points. #00274E did well to wait until this month to finally send it (they had apparently kept it up their sleeve ever since they joined the contest) as it is the lowest score for a winner this year, but still the highest score in this contest which is of course all that matters ;o The song gives them their third contest winner after Carli's 'Look Up' in BJSC 53 and Delta Heavy's 'Ghost' in BJSC 80, putting them one gold medal ahead of N DNTN once again. x

- Second place went to another song not picked up as a major winner contender (though it did get better odds than 'Relax') - and also another song that wasn't released in the current decade, dating back to 2009. It was Ou Est Le Swimming Pool's 'Dance The Way I Feel', the once Persephonian potential entry that the Persephonian BJSC Committee is definitely not at all bitter about not sending now, representing Medhelnia. 'Dance The Way I Feel' picked up 306 points, only 11 away from giving Medhelnia their first win, but as it is it gave them a second silver medallist just 4 contests after their first, and a third top 5 hit overall out of 7 main contest entries, making them by far 2016's most successful new country (despite having a couple of fairly dramatic flops under their belt as well, of course including last month's disastrous 'Fuqboi' thing). It did manage to win semi-final 2 however, their second semi-final win, which also made them the projected winners (and they would have done it if it weren't for that auto-qualifier!!) The highest ranked song in the final that did get predictions to be a winner contender was the entry from Aeroche who continue to casually slay the contest nearly every month and got another bronze medal with Sophie Beem's 'Skyline' coming 3rd with 302 points. It might take a minor miracle now (i.e. Yehesi and N DNTN both DNQing) for Aeroche to snatch the year-end #1 for a fourth year running in the year's final contest but they aren't giving up without a fight ;o

- The winner of semi-final 1 was the newly stylised Břtanikkä with Sagi Abitbul and Guy Haliva's 'Stanga', also heavily tipped as a winner contender as it bears a resemblance to other 2016 winners like 'Free Tibet' and 'Aide', but ultimately coming 4th in the final with 285 points. It did win the battle of the Bulgarian language entries though, which would normally be a bit of a hollow victory but by some inexplicable alignment of the planets there were actually three different songs sung entirely in Bulgarian in this contest's top 15 - Dobago came 8th with DARA's 'K'vo Ne Chu' to claim their fifth top 10 hit of the year, while Séyetana actually underperformed expectations a bit to 'only' come 11th with Christopher Tin's 'Temen Oblak' (feat. Le Mystčre Des Voix Bulgares), still a very strong showing for a 7 minute Bulgarian language classical-flavoured track (albeit by an artist who had previously finished in the top 2). 5th place with 278 points were Yehesi with Maan's 'Give You All I Got', their fifth top 5 hit of the year after a couple of slightly less successful entries in the last two contests, which has put them back on top of the YTD rankings.

- An auto-qualifier was heavily tipped as a possible winner this contest but it wasn't #00274E's, rather it was the other one, from last month's winners N DNTN. They didn't quite pull through with the double win but did have another successful performance with Nadia Tehran's M.I.A.-esque 'Cash Flow' finishing 6th (the same artist, then called Nadya, also gave N DNTN a top 3 hit in the first edition of the Worldvision spinoff last year with 'Refugee'). N DNTN of course weren't able to host BJSC 89 but it has been revealed that they will be co-hosting BJSC 90 with #00274E, and really that's only right to immediately follow up a Jadakissnia/Persephonia contest #squadgoals *.* Filling out the rest of the top 10: Mulgracia got their 5th top 10 hit with Cobi's 'Don't You Cry For Me' coming 7th; FSR Rontvia's bumper 2016 continued with their fourth top ten in the last six contests, coming 9th with Alyss' 'T S I E R'; Hushkanukia also got their 5th top 10 hit with FRANKIE's 'Gold' coming 10th, though they've still only come higher than 9th with their winner 'St. Patrick' by PVRIS. 'Gold' held Séyetana out of the top 10 by only one point, slightly switching it up for the country that usually finds itself on the other side of very borderline top 10 battles.

- Three countries set new national bests in this final, with two of those being countries making the final for the first time: Aelandor suffered through five consecutive DNQs since their debut but finally broke through this time with Sœur's 'Pass Out', though they still struggled a bit in the final and finished 37th. That was still a better performance than that of Buzzjack Mountain. Their 'controversial' debut in the previous contest unsurprisingly came nowhere near the final but they qualified on their second attempt with Water Juice's 'In Love' (feat. Audrey Graham), only to end up walking away with the wooden spoon as it finished in 42nd place out of 42 points, narrowly being the only song to not pass 100 points (it finished on 98). After also debuting last month and actually qualifying, Lomaja made it to the final again this time and finished 6 places higher, coming 23rd with Kero Kero Bonito's 'Trampoline'. Niceland's second entry on the other hand did much less well then their debut (neither of their entries qualified, but their BJSC 89 offering 'I Wanna Love You' by Royce Lovett was dead last in semi-final 1 with just 4 points, oops). Kingdom of Horanius pulled out of the contest after only one entry for now. BJSC 89 did have one debuting country of its own: Zanmatony, who also offered a 90s dance track that charted in the low top 40 in the UK but didn't do anywhere near as well as 'Relax'. Their debut, Amber's 'Sexual (Li Da Di)', did not make the final.

- 3 more countries made returns in this contest, with two of them making the final. Oslol were banned from the last contest but came back with a #15 hit with Hayley Orrantia's 'Strong, Sweet & Southern', a pretty good performance for what was a last-minute replacement for a vetoed entry, and also a high finish for a country song. N-Lazone mysteriously vanished for 5 contests after getting one of their biggest hits ever in BJSC 83. They were back this time with ILOVEMAKONNEN cover 'Tuesday' by Burak Yeter featuring Danelle Sandoval which also did pretty well by their standards to come 21st, though still didn't become the song to end their quest for a top 10 hit (they hold the record for most entries without a top 10, this being their 40th - someone just give them one already! though pretty glad it wasn't this song). Bhangra also sat out the last contest but returned again to continue their 2016 revival with an old Moldovan Eurovision reject, 'When Life Is Grey' by Karizma ONE, which is now also a BJSC reject as it didn't qualify.

- Other noteworthy results this month: host nation Jadakissnia didn't get an auto-qualifier but still made it to their own final easily and came 14th with FEYNMAN's '1-800MYLOVE'; Terra Avium came just ahead of Persephonia with our former artists Kids Of The Apocalypse, coming 19th with their 'Better Life' (feat. Wes Period); Suedeonia and Triangledonia both got only their second qualifiers of the year, the former coming 29th with Superwalker's 'Lost (As I Am)' (two places lower than their only previous qualifier) and the latter 34th with The Him's 'Don't Leave Without Me' (feat. Gia Koka); Summericia celebrated the return to their original country name with a classic Summericia result, that is making it to the final but then finishing near the bottom of the scoreboard, coming 40th with Genevieve's 'Colors' (PLS&TY Remix). A few other countries also competed under new (or old) names in BJSC 89: Ashton dropped the 'Federal Republic of', and are now apparently going to be competing under their old stylisation République d'Ashton again from BJSC 90, while there was apparently another coup in the country once called Elëdan as they reverted from People's Independent State of Slutland to FKA FKA FKA π, and Beaverdonia rebranded as Beaverskankdonia. Only Ashton out of those three made the final (they came 39th with Coco Morier's 'Dreamer'), and they'll also be the only one of the 3 with any chance to make the next final, as Beaverskankdonia and FKA FKA FKA π both did not submit votes for BJSC 89 and will have to sit out the next one (as will Brechtoria). We hope to see them all return in BJSC 91 under whatever name they choose to go with this time. x

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC 89

Final

Points awarded:
18 Medhelnia // Ou Est Le Swimming Pool - Dance The Way I Feel
15 Land of DW // Marusha - Deep
13 Břtanikkä // Sagi Abitbul and Guy Haliva - Stanga

12 Séyetana // Christopher Tin - Temen Oblak (feat. Le Mystčre Des Voix Bulgares)
11 Singerpurear // Princess Chelsea - The Cigarette Duet
10 Suedeonia // Superwalkers - Lost (As I Am)
9 N DNTN // Nadia Tehran - Cash Flow
8 Cumulonimbia // Dan Deacon - Change Your Life (You Can Do It)
7 Republic of Adonia // Lorn - Acid Rain
6 Yehesi // Maan - Give You All I Got

5 Jadakissnia // FEYNMAN - 1-800MYLOVE
4 Desbuanda // Lilyer - I Was On Your Side
3 Terra Avium // Kids Of The Apocalypse - Better Life (feat. Wes Period)
2 Aelandor // Sœur - Pass Out
1 Unovia // Atiye - Abrakadabra

16th-41st:
Cor Lupus // The Birthday Massacre - In The Dark
FSR Rontvia // Alyss - T S I E R
Syndare // Chiara Hunter - Hammer
Aeroche // Sophie Beem - Skyline
Avalonia // of Verona - Better With You
Mulgracia // Cobi - Don't You Cry For Me
Trifoski // The Go! Team - Buy Nothing Day
Ashton // Coco Morier - Dreamer
Hushkanukia // FRANKIE - Gold
Buzzjack Mountain // Water Juice - In Love (feat. Audrey Graham)
Taahino // Fingertips - Kiss Me
Ramrynia // MY - White Water
Lomaja // Kero Kero Bonito - Trampoline
Daehun // Red Velvet - Russian Roulette
Summericia // Genevieve - Colors (PLS&TY Remix)
Greenfroze // Perttu - Waves (feat. Alexandra)
South Danaelanda // Steve James - In My Head (feat. RKCB)
Triangledonia // The Him - Don't Leave Without Me (feat. Gia Koka)
Harmonica // Joseph - White Flag
Oslol // Hayley Orrantia - Strong, Sweet & Southern
The Actual Republic of Bellamia // Catey Shaw - The Ransom (Tommy Walker Remix)
Dobago // DARA - K'vo Ne Chu
#00274E // Crystal Waters - Relax
Sandebörg // SMILO - Young Again
Cadelicia // Jane XŘ and Dannic - Undone
N-Lazone // Burak Yeter - Tuesday (feat. Danelle Sandoval)

~

Semi-Final 1

Points awarded:
12 Břtanikkä // Sagi Abitbul and Guy Haliva - Stanga
10 Deandria // Clément Bazin - With You
8 Beaverskankdonia // The Eden Project - Chasing Ghosts

7 Republic of Adonia // Lorn - Acid Rain
6 Suedeonia // Superwalkers - Lost (As I Am)
5 Yehesi // Maan - Give You All I Got
4 Espen // Mashrou' Leila - Kalam (H4Z3 Private Mix)
3 Aelandor // Sœur - Pass Out
2 Cor Lupus // The Birthday Massacre - In The Dark
1 FSR Rontvia // Alyss - T S I E R

11th-32nd:
Pupok // GIRLI - Girl I Met On The Internet
Desbuanda // Lilyer - I Was On Your Side
Avalonia // of Verona - Better With You
Usfland // AUTOBAHN - Society
Aeroche // Sophie Beem - Skyline
New Lexico // Tatianna - The Same Parts
Hushkanukia // FRANKIE - Gold
Syndare // Chiara Hunter - Hammer
Flynnonda // Mount Tyrant - One Night
Trifoski // The Go! Team - Buy Nothing Day
Altyr Muunilinst // Nick Talos - Crush On You
Ramrynia // MY - White Water
Ashton // Coco Morier - Dreamer
Niceland // Royce Lovett - I Wanna Love You
Taahino // Fingertips - Kiss Me
Quintessa // Satchmode - Further Away
D'yermak'er // Scavenger Hunt - River Runs Dry
Oslol // Hayley Orrantia - Strong, Sweet & Southern
Greenfroze // Perttu - Waves (feat. Alexandra)
Tinnmark // kid joki and CLMD - Wait For Love
Bhangra // Karizma ONE - When Life Is Grey
N-Lazone // Burak Yeter - Tuesday (feat. Danelle Sandoval)

DNQed

~

Semi-Final 2 DNQs

8th FKA FKA FKA π // Francis And The Lights - I Want You To Shake
9th Ethanola // Noir and Olivier Giacomotto - Reste (Raxon Remix)
10th Kluminican Republic // ODESZA - It's Only (feat. Zyra)

14th Brechtoria // The Boxer Rebellion - Big Ideas
15th Skall // Deerhunter - Nothing Ever Happened
16th Ultraviolenceland // FLETCHER - Over My Head
17th Bignia-Zaragovina // StrangeFaces - Swimming
18th St. Burbia // iSHi - There For Me (feat. Shenie Fogo)
20th Zanmatony // Amber - Sexual (Li Da Di)
21st Tartford // BLKMGK - You Don't Deserve Me (feat. Amina Mine and Jayy Starr)
26th Florina // Echos - Gold
27th Fljótavík // Sir The Baptist - Raise Hell (feat. ChuchPeople)
33rd Kylienips // Adam Jensen - Drugs

+Quote this post
Brer
post Oct 21 2016, 11:37 PM
Post #35
Group icon
QUOTE(Jade @ Oct 16 2016, 10:47 PM) *
Ooh what an honour it is for your 50th qualifier to happen in the Jadaphonia contest *.*

Oh yes *.* a great contest to hit that milestone xx

(+ thank you Mattias, glad you enjoyed Instrumentals so much! <3 x)

+Quote this post
Jade
post Oct 21 2016, 11:53 PM
Post #36
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Fabuloso write-up as ever heart.gif I feel like I probably say that every month (blush.gif) but the sheer effort is always wonderful to observe. Anyway~ congrats on the top 20 for 'Vlasy'! I was pleased to see it hold on at the end with all the points being so close. Thought you may be satisfied that you narrowly beat your least fave of the final to a top 20 placing laugh.gif Overall a lot of faves doing well and I loved being a part of the co-hosting w/ you. Thank you for the 'expertedly hosted' comment btw, that was a lovely thing to read. <3

Oh my goodness, that description of your country entry sounds incredibly moving. I am looking forward to hearing what this song will sound like. Tissues at the ready in case necessary. I hope you may enjoy my entry also but I'm not sure what you will think of it, so we shall see. #TeamIceland anyway *.*

+Quote this post
jakewild
post Oct 22 2016, 01:39 AM
Post #37
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
User: 2,790
ia your write ups are always so good <3

+Quote this post
Brer
post Oct 23 2016, 08:13 PM
Post #38
Group icon
~ ~ ~

BJSC 90

I hear what you're saying...

Persephonia are looking to finish the year of BJSC in style with a bit of twisted, other-worldly R&B straight out of Denmark ~

~ ~ ~

(thank u both heart.gif x)

+Quote this post
m
post Oct 25 2016, 07:49 AM
Post #39
Group icon
I can sense that this will be good. I'm already getting Sevdaliza vibes from the description and the picture tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post Nov 14 2016, 11:58 PM
Post #40
Group icon
Fallen a bit behind updating this thread ;o shall do a big post to catch up with all of BJSC 90 and the results of the Country spinoff in the near future ~ but in the mean time lemme just hop on the bandwagon with this lovely and slick video recap of all of Persephonia's main contest and spinoff entries of 2016 which Jade has kindly put in the effort to make for us. heart.gif

(will also try to do some sort of EOY in here soon, but probably not gonna be *quite* as ambitious as last year's since I never got round to properly finishing that lol ~)

+Quote this post

17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:35 AM