BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
18 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Anime, Fall 2023: AoT finale i guess
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Iz 🌟
post 6th July 2019, 03:02 PM
Post #261
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

I'm keeping an eye on what's coming out in this first week of the new season. I think I will give Dr. Stone a go, for sure, that sounds good. Heard decent things about the dumbbell one although I'm not sure it's for me. Out of the ones that have premiered so far.

Something else that sounds INCREDIBLY interesting is Vinland Saga, a well beloved manga from all accounts, and from the name Vinland, sounds incredibly up my alley as that's surely about Vikings. That's starting in a couple of days.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 7th July 2019, 10:48 PM
Post #262
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

Just started 7 Seeds on Netflix, seen a lot of negativity about it online but I've really enjoyed the first episode.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 7th July 2019, 11:19 PM
Post #263
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Jul 6 2019, 04:02 PM) *
Something else that sounds INCREDIBLY interesting is Vinland Saga, a well beloved manga from all accounts, and from the name Vinland, sounds incredibly up my alley as that's surely about Vikings. That's starting in a couple of days.

People are also excited due to the people involved with the adaption, in particular Wit Studio who are currently enjoying a lot of hype thanks to their brilliant work on Attack On Titan. I've seen nothing but good things being said on forums about the adaptation from those who have seen more than most. It's definitely something I'm going to pick up.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 8th July 2019, 02:24 AM
Post #264
Group icon

First episode of Dr. Stone was great! Like Civilization's tech tree: the anime, at least that's the promise. So interesting seeing this smart guy figure out how to build distilleries and stuff by himself. Love it.

QUOTE(WhoOdyssey @ Jul 7 2019, 10:48 PM) *
Just started 7 Seeds on Netflix, seen a lot of negativity about it online but I've really enjoyed the first episode.

I haven't picked up that or other Netflix original anime, but I reckon a lot of the people complaining are those who've been watching anime for a long time and are expecting higher standards from a Netflix adaptation (from a quick scan of the reviews on MAL for that one it's because it's rushed?). Either that or they have a weird hatred for Netflix's destruction of the traditional week-to-week schedule, which is of course horrible. Either way, glad you are enjoying and remember, it isn't always about the tastemakers, while I tend to go with the crowd in anime, many people really like shows that are rated below a 7 on MAL. And that's okay. They're still people.

also yes, first three episodes of Vinland Saga are now OUT. I'm gonna watch it later, I'll report back.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 9th July 2019, 03:31 AM
Post #265
Group icon

Vinland Saga, at least from the first three episodes, is beautiful. Beautiful show (I've been posting so many great backgrounds on my Twitter), great story (covering one of my favourite underused historical periods, the age of Viking exploration), exciting themes, WIT have done it again.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 10th July 2019, 09:12 PM
Post #266
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Wait the first three epsiodes are out?! I assume it's one/week from now on though?

Also regarding MAL and Netflix anime releases - a lot of them are scored lower due to a lot of "elitist" views in regards to Netflix not going by the release schedule/western influences in some series (which isn't at all a bad thing). Honestly, I've enjoyed every Netflix original anime series I've watched so far and I've noticed that generally their scores on MAL go up over time once the initial release is over and the people watching them are giving honest reviews.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 18th July 2019, 04:30 AM
Post #267
Group icon

Some pretty sad news that I'm really torn up about, Kyoto Animation (Haruhi, K-On!, Clannad, Dragon Maid among others), one of the best studios in the anime business for animation quality and worker's rights, has suffered an arson attack to their studio 1. Many injuries and the police are confirming multiple deaths as well. Awful stuff sad.gif

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 18th July 2019, 01:15 PM
Post #268
Group icon

I've been upset about this all day.

At least 26 declared dead now. That's approx 20% of their entire staff.

It's so awful for everyone involved. They're one of the best in the business, I've always come away from their shows feeling happy or emotionally fulfilled and many of their shows I've watched are among my favourites, including Haruhi, the one that properly got me into anime. And even if that weren't the case, this is a tragedy that has taken so many talented people within the industry. It's turning into Japan's Grenfell and it's destroyed so much, these people and their art were loved by so many around the world. The industry as a whole will take some time to recover from this.

Donations have been pouring in with a gofundme set up by their North American partner Sentai, but I'm going to support them directly, and buy some of their digital art from their site (https://kyoani.shop-pro.jp/), quick, no hassle to anyone and the money should go straight to them.

+Quote this post
coi
post 18th July 2019, 01:47 PM
Post #269
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240

This is really awful to hear. Kyoto Animation have been so influential to so many people, particularly with A Silent Voice, one of the first anime films I watched and a really well made one as well! To see the offices on fire, knowing at least 26 are dead and 36 are in hospital, is saddening. A tragedy and a major shock for the anime industry.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 18th July 2019, 04:36 PM
Post #270
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

That's so sad! They have produced some great anime and had more in the works. The death toll is now up to 33. Just devastating not only for the industry, but for all the deceased's friends and family. sad.gif

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 18th July 2019, 05:05 PM
Post #271
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

Absolutely horrific thing to happen, not just for anime fans, but for Japan itself. With 33 confirmed dead (and unfortunately still due to rise even more), this is now the biggest mass killing in the country since the end of World War II, so it is an unprecedented tragedy for the country.

I've been familiar with the output of Kyoto Animation for as long as I've watched anime. "Lucky Star" was one of the first anime series that I watched from start to finish, and I have always had a soft spot for "Nichijou" (I even have a mug of it). I've also had "A Silent Voice" on my Netflix queue for a while, and given the tragic news, I will have to watch it this weekend.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 19th July 2019, 02:45 AM
Post #272
Group icon

I loved Nichijou when I watched it earlier this year. Such positive, imaginative and adorable comedy. Got to be up there with the best of this decade. I watched A Silent Voice last year and also loved it.

So many of their works have been on my list of things to watch for some time, Lucky Star, Clannad, Amagi Brilliant Park, Hibike Euphonium to name a few. I've started watching the second season of K-On now, as I only watched the first season a couple of years ago, and it's all so pretty cry.gif

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 3rd August 2019, 04:33 PM
Post #273
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

QUOTE(Iz~ @ May 24 2016, 02:19 PM) *
Hell at Your Lie In April, I had been enjoying it for the music and was thinking I might like to try my hand at piano again because of it, and then the last episode goes and sends me to tears, perhaps one of the most I can remember from a TV show. Add that to what happened in Game Of Thrones last night and I had a rather emotional evening.

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ May 24 2016, 09:08 PM) *
Your Lie In April is in my Netflix queue, but I haven't got around to watching it yet, but I think the ending's already been spoiled for me (through my fault, through my most grievous fault).

Well, after letting it languish on my Netflix queue for far too long, I finally got around to watching "Your Lie In April", and now I wish I had seen it earlier. It has instantly got a "10" rating for me, which is the first series in a long time to please me so much. The last episode was an absolute emotional rollercoaster, near perfect in every way. Although I was aware of the major twist (that Kaori dies), I wasn't aware of the final revelation, that Kaori had fallen in love with Arima when she was 5, and the reason that she lied about liking Ryota in order to save Tsubaki's feelings, which really hit me emotionally. I haven't thought about my favourite series in some time, but I have a feeling that "Your Lie In April" could end up being a contender of my favourite series of all-time.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 11th August 2019, 10:33 AM
Post #274
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

So a few weeks in and I've settled on what I'm watching for this season. Aside from the continuing Fruits Basket, my watch-list consists of:

Dr Stone - few of you have already picked this up, which is unsurprising as it's been of of the biggest shonen manga series since "My Hero Academia". Now that we've got a lot of the setting and character-establishing episodes out of the way, it looks like we're starting to get into what is likely to be the main storyline of the series - the conflict between creating a world of technological advancement or a simpler, purer world that eschews the modern world.

How Heavy Are The Dumbbells You Lift? - I doubt I would have picked up on this series if it weren't for my own late-onset discovery of fitness. A quasi-educational anime, the show is about a girl who after being made fun of about her weight & eating habits (although when her stats are shown on-screen, her weight would be considered normal by Western standards, but I digress), she decides to join a gym, where alongside her muscle-obsessed classmate, her boxing friend, and her cosplaying teacher, she learns how to get into shape. Whilst it's primarily about teaching the audience how to work out (there's several demonstrations throughout each episode), it's also a very funny slice-of-life comedy, with running jokes including breaking the 4th wall, and the trainer Machio, who will literally burst out of his clothes at random intervals to show off his muscles.

Is It Wrong To Try To Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? - "the string" is back. 2nd series of the dungeon-based fantasy series, which gets straight into the action with a war-game between the houses of the goddess Hestia & the god Apollo. If you enjoyed the antics of Bell, Hestia etc from the first series, then you should enjoy this one as well. If not, well, there's others out there.

Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks? - with so many isekai series coming out of Japan at the moment, you have to find a unique angle to stand out, which this one does. Masato is offered a chance by the government to be sucked into a game world to test it from the inside, much to his delight. However, when he arrives, he realises that not only has his mother been brought along for the ride, she is much stronger than he is. Hilarity ensues.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 11th August 2019, 11:40 PM
Post #275
Group icon

Wow, our watch list is almost the same. Just swap Dungeon S2 out (I watched the first few episodes of S1 a while back and wasn't really a fan) for Vinland Saga and we're good.

Dr. Stone is currently leading as my favourite, proper great shonen backstory stuff (and backed by REAL SCIENCE) although Vinland Saga isn't far behind.

Dumbbells is an excellent cute girl show and I'm using it as motivation to work out because that sort of stuff actually works. Really nice characters and I look forward to going through it to the end, I'm a little behind right now but maybe once all my holidays are over I'll use it as a launching point to go work out in the gym.

Mum Isekai is... I have mixed feelings on it. On the one hand it's very funny seeing the mum embarrass her worthless 'factory model isekai protagonist' son wherever possible, but on the other, there was a scene near the end of the second episode that I had to skip through and I really don't want it to be that kind of show yet some part of it is going to be.

Beyond that, if I pick up anything extra from this cour, it'll probably be O Maidens In Your Savage Season as I've heard good things about that being a more 'true-to-life' teenage drama than most anime.

Also it was excellent reading your thoughts on Your Lie In April, I haven't thought about it for quite a while but it really was a great show with little else like it.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 19th September 2019, 06:04 PM
Post #276
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

My thoughts every time I try to read a post in the Brexit thread:

So yes, I did enjoy the first 12 episodes of Carole & Tuesday that Netflix put out a few weeks ago. Given that Shinichiro Watanabe's previous series' have been characterised by his solid use of music, it's surprising that this is his first one where the music is the main driver of the story. It's because of this that the story works - I didn't like the songs that Carole & Tuesday wrote in the first few episodes, until it hit me that these songs are what 16-year-olds who have never written music before would produce, which made me appreciate them a lot more, even if they're not my cup of tea. "Hold Me Now" is an undoubted banger though, it's the best song The Buggles never recorded. I also like all the references to real musicians made during the show, even up-to-date ones that aren't necessarily mainstream - the character of Cybelle is obviously based of Christine & The Queens for example. Looking forward to seeing what happens once Netflix puts the remaining episodes up.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 28th September 2019, 11:41 PM
Post #277
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I've just finished Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba and it's been such a great series. It gives me major Hunter x Hunter/Full Metal Alchemist vibes in terms of how much I've enjoyed it/its potential - as well as its dark storyline and themes. Episode 19 in particular had one of the best fight scenes I've seen in a while. The art style is beautiful as well. I'm very happy that a movie sequel to the anime has been announced and cannot wait to watch it! Certainly my stand out series of 2019 so far.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 29th September 2019, 01:42 PM
Post #278
Group icon

I have been hearing very great things about Demon Slayer, especially this cour, it was a bit more subdued in the spring but everyone's been talking about it this summer. I look forward to picking it up in the future, especially as it's animated by ufotable, who made the absolutely gorgeous Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works. Probably my favourite anime studio for action although WIT have been challenging them in that regard lately with Attack On Titan and Vinland Saga.

I've been trying to keep up with Carole & Tuesday over the last few months and I completely agree Brett, I didn't think the first songs from C&T were particularly good, but they have continued growing from what I've seen and I bet by the end of the 24-episode run they'll be there. Must get back to it now it's on Netflix.

also I've been casually crying at Clannad (excellent teen drama from the 00s) and crying/laughing at Non Non Biyori (comedy in the countryside from 2013) a lot lately.

~

Fall season starts in 2 days - unlike this very good summer, I have no idea what I'll be watching yet. Well, aside from the obvious of continuing Vinland and Dr Stone, and My Hero Academia S4. So I might actually have plenty, especially because as ever I have some things to finish off from the summer season. But I'll be keeping an eye out in case a hidden gem emerges.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 29th September 2019, 04:17 PM
Post #279
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

QUOTE(Izzy @ Sep 29 2019, 02:42 PM) *
also I've been casually crying at Clannad (excellent teen drama from the 00s) and crying/laughing at Non Non Biyori (comedy in the countryside from 2013) a lot lately.

Non Non Biyori is the only anime that I ever watched based solely on the strength of the band that composed the opening themes (nano.RIPE, whom I've entered into Buzzjack-related contests on occasion), and one that I rather enjoyed. A relaxing slice-of-life comedy that made me want to spend some time in rural Japan (up until the point I realised that the chances of them knowing even basic English was minute, and the chances of me learning enough Japanese to get by was even less likely). Would love to travel on one of those small trains.

Fall season starts in 2 days - unlike this very good summer, I have no idea what I'll be watching yet. Well, aside from the obvious of continuing Vinland and Dr Stone, and My Hero Academia S4. So I might actually have plenty, especially because as ever I have some things to finish off from the summer season. But I'll be keeping an eye out in case a hidden gem emerges.

Yes, it's mainly returning anime for me this season, with Doctor Stone & My Hero Academia the main ones. I'm also delighted that there is a new series of Chihayafuru, about a player of a competitive Japanese card/poetry sport called Karuta. The last series was in 2013, so didn't think we'd get another one, so absolutely delighted to see more from it. There's also a 3rd series of Psycho-Pass, but as it's an Amazon exclusive *shakes fist at Bezos* I won't be watching it straight away. As for the new stuff, I'll probably wait for the first episode reviews to come in before deciding to pick any of it up.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 30th September 2019, 05:53 PM
Post #280
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

For the upcoming season I'm quite interested in No Guns Life. It's produced by madhouse so that's a plus usually and the plot seems a little weird/different.

+Quote this post

18 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 03:38 PM