BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
This thread is locked.Create a new thread
> Friday Chart Predictions
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jason
post 16th May 2019, 04:16 PM
Post #61
Group icon
I've been looking for a Lasting Lover
User: 3,149

I hope both James Arthur and Mark Ronson are top 40 tomorrow. biggrin.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 16th May 2019, 04:21 PM
Post #62
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

The top 5 albums are really getting very samey each week with the Greatest Showman and Queen hogging it. Its about time people stop buying them, I just wonder where Rocket Man is going to peak soon.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 16th May 2019, 06:41 PM
Post #63
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

Take That have remained extremely steady all week around the same position.

+Quote this post
Glenn 69
post 16th May 2019, 09:21 PM
Post #64
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 29,123

Think I have seen Lewis Capaldi's album advertised as being out tomorrow. How many will he sell?

+Quote this post
Robbie
post 16th May 2019, 09:22 PM
Post #65
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366

QUOTE(Mart!n @ May 16 2019, 05:21 PM) *
The top 5 albums are really getting very samey each week with the Greatest Showman and Queen hogging it. Its about time people stop buying them, I just wonder where Rocket Man is going to peak soon.
The Greatest Showman may soon vanish from the albums chart. Music Week reported a couple of weeks ago that there are ongoing discussions taking place about once again barring movie soundtracks from the main albums chart and returning them to the Compilations chart. If that happens it will be interesting to see what happens to the sales of TGS. Compilation albums don't attract streaming sales and a fair amount of sales of TGS are streaming sales. The Queen soundtrack album would probably remain in the main chart as it's a one artist album. The reason why it keeps performing well is that it is attracting a lot of streaming sales as the various versions of all the tracks (including the studio versions) are linked to this album.

This post has been edited by Robbie: 16th May 2019, 09:25 PM

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 16th May 2019, 09:43 PM
Post #66
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

QUOTE(Robbie @ May 16 2019, 10:22 PM) *
The Greatest Showman may soon vanish from the albums chart. Music Week reported a couple of weeks ago that there are ongoing discussions taking place about once again barring movie soundtracks from the main albums chart and returning them to the Compilations chart. If that happens it will be interesting to see what happens to the sales of TGS. Compilation albums don't attract streaming sales and a fair amount of sales of TGS are streaming sales. The Queen soundtrack album would probably remain in the main chart as it's a one artist album. The reason why it keeps performing well is that it is attracting a lot of streaming sales as the various versions of all the tracks (including the studio versions) are linked to this album.

I hope they stay in the main album charts personally. I’d be interested to see the link I’ll check that out.

Movie Soundtracks (especially A Star Is Born as in that case the whole albums by the same artists) to me are albums but stuff like NOW and Clubland belong in the compilations chart.

This post has been edited by Jordan Lee: 16th May 2019, 09:47 PM

+Quote this post
Robbie
post 16th May 2019, 10:14 PM
Post #67
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Jordan Lee @ May 16 2019, 10:43 PM) *
I hope they stay in the main album charts personally. I’d be interested to see the link I’ll check that out.

Movie Soundtracks (especially A Star Is Born as in that case the whole albums by the same artists) to me are albums but stuff like NOW and Clubland belong in the compilations chart.
The article isn't online but I've posted part of the article below. The article was about Compilation Album sales, how they were falling fast and what could be done to stop the fast decline.

Streams generated from compilation albums are not attributed as sales to the parent album, but Now Music co-MD Peter Duckworth said that his brand alone powers “half a billion streams a year through Now playlists and products”. Duckworth said the Now app, which charges a £3.99-per-month subscription, is “starting to really take off”, although he declined to share subscriber numbers.

“In one sense [compilations]are thriving more than ever, because it’s the dominant form of consumption on streaming services, via playlists,” he said. “But the margins are under attack, because the margins from playlists in the current business model are zero. But that doesn’t mean to say the value of the brand is diminished; it holds up within the environment.”

Few in the sector expect the streaming chart situation to change but Music Week understands discussions are still on-going about returning movie soundtracks – such as The Greatest Showman – to the compilations chart, rather than artist albums. That would improve volumes and could help generate some buzz but, according to Bayley, “The only benefit would be if there is stronger marketing and a better PR profile for the compilations chart”.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 16th May 2019, 10:18 PM
Post #68
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

I can't really see how that'll be helpful to the album chart, which is surely more important than the compilation chart?

+Quote this post
Robbie
post 16th May 2019, 10:35 PM
Post #69
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Medellíam @ May 16 2019, 11:18 PM) *
I can't really see how that'll be helpful to the album chart, which is surely more important than the compilation chart?
Indeed. Albums in the Compilation chart are largely invisible. To me it would be a backward step to banish albums which quite clearly are a cohesive movie project with original songs by cast members back to a chart that no-one takes any notice of.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 16th May 2019, 10:47 PM
Post #70
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

In this day and age the Soundtracks are keeping the albums market a float near enough.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 16th May 2019, 11:18 PM
Post #71
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

QUOTE(Robbie @ May 16 2019, 11:35 PM) *
Indeed. Albums in the Compilation chart are largely invisible. To me it would be a backward step to banish albums which quite clearly are a cohesive movie project with original songs by cast members back to a chart that no-one takes any notice of.

Exactly! These soundtracks have been holding up album sales better and been bringing more attention to the album chart than would have otherwise been. The one thing I can think of that might be a benefit for the industry is artists claiming the #1 spot when they otherwise may have had to settle for #2, but how many of these albums have actually been deserving of #1 anyway?

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 17th May 2019, 10:37 AM
Post #72
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

obviously, the occ get something right once they now gonna change it
getting cast albums to chart is fine, it's nothing comparable to Now102 or a soundtrack with random tracks

think they should focus on more important flaws, like the one mentioned above, you stream the studio version of Bohemian rhapsody, and it gives a streaming point to the soundtrack even if the song is not on it

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
This thread is locked.Create a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 10:02 PM