BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> How would you rank today's biggest popstars?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Ryan.
post 10th September 2014, 05:13 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 12,608

I thought it was time for another general discussion topic following the "instrumental choruses" one last month. Basically, I find there to be always an ongoing debate regarding who are the biggest "pop girls" or on what level some of the biggest popstars are deemed to be.

If I were to rank today's popstars on certain levels right now I would go for something like:

Level 1: Rihanna
Level 2: Beyoncé, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift
Level 3: Ariana Grande, Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, Pink
Level 4: Demi Lovato, Iggy Azalea, Madonna, Selena Gomez

I'd put Rihanna as the biggest popstar in the world just because she seems to create incredible hype and success with every lead single and while she isn't as big as she once was around the 'Loud' era in particular, I feel like while Katy would probably have been on the same level during the 'Teenage Dream' era, she does seem to be losing a little bit of popularity. So that's why I've put her on the second level along with Beyoncé who I feel doesn't quite have the same overall impact at the moment to put her on par with Rihanna even though I can't quite explain it considering how successful her surprise album was. Then Miley and Taylor are both on their way up, Miley obviously had huge impact with the first 2 singles from 'Bangerz' but we'll have to wait and see if she can have the success again to put her on the top level. Then Taylor is also having the most worldwide success she's ever had right now, and I think if the '1989' era continues to be as successful as it has started off then Taylor could definitely become a top level popstar.

Moving onto Level 3, first we've got the likes of Britney and Gaga who have massive fanbases but have recently become less successful. Obviously if this was an all-time rank then Britney would definitely be a top level popstar but right this minute, she isn't on the same level as a few above her. Pink has always been underrated but at this minute she's doing her collaborative album that is unlikely to be as successful as her pop albums - during 'The Truth About Love' though I would've put her on level 2. Then Ariana Grande is obviously being very successful at the moment, more so than Demi and Selena, but time will tell if she will ever match 'Problem' again and move up a level. Then as I mentioned I have Demi and Selena on level 4 who are very successful with new releases due to their fanbases but have yet to take their success to the same level as those above her but are always consistent sellers worldwide. Finally also on level 4 I have Iggy who has had massive success this year, but to me she doesn't quite feel as big as Ariana yet due to her album sales. Then Madonna's last era seemed to be less successful than recent eras from Britney and Gaga, so that's why I've put her on a lower level than them at this moment in time. Obviously there are many others as well but I can't think of anyone else!

Obviously people are going to rank popstars based on different reasons, but I'm interested to see how you would rank today's popstars based on what the situation is right now. Feel free to do the same with male popstars and groups as well!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 10th September 2014, 05:15 PM
Post #2
Group icon
User: 13,007

*popGIRLS?

+Quote this post
Cremey
post 10th September 2014, 05:19 PM
Post #3
Group icon
on a bench in coney island
User: 4,089

I think you've got it pretty spot on really. I'd definitely consider Rihanna the biggest popstar in the world – really hope the new album can really cement this status.

It's odd to think Lady Gaga was firmly up there not long ago. Her star really has waned.
Pink is always one that surprises me with her success. I often forget about her but she always does well!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 10th September 2014, 05:46 PM
Post #4
Group icon

I have a few issues. Firstly some of these comparisons are near impossible to make. Madonna hasn't released anything since Iggy surfaced so they have never been in the "same climate". Madonna's last album was a LOT more successful than the albums of those that share her "tier" even if it was deemed a gigantic flop for her standards. 'The New Classic' (and 'Demi', 'Stars Dance' too i'm sure) has lackluster worldwide sales, but obviously 'Fancy' has been huge for her, so is that one song enough to put her on the same pegging as Madonna, who had one bad era but is the biggest female star the world has ever seen? Also what has Selena achieved to get the same recognition as Iggy (or ANYONE in the list)? Ariana Grande has had one successful single in the US, and she's tied with Britney, Gaga and Pink who are undergoing sell-out tours/promotion around the world and are household names? :S

I do agree that Rihanna would be above the others you've highlighted and the second tier looks about right if we look at worldwide sales of their last eras.

+Quote this post
Regina
post 10th September 2014, 05:48 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

Then Madonna's last era seemed to be less successful than recent eras from Britney and Gaga

Singles-wise, yes, but MDNA has outsold Britney Jean I think and isn't too far behind Artpop surely? Plus the tour was a massive success.

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 10th September 2014, 05:56 PM
Post #6
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67

Ariana Grande and Madonna need to be switched. And a few dozen steps placed between tier 3 and 4.

+Quote this post
Atonement
post 10th September 2014, 05:58 PM
Post #7
Group icon
I just had to see your face to feel alive
User: 10,676

Not sure I would consider Rihanna the biggest (although not sure who else..) but she's definitely my favorite of the whole lot! At least she has some absolute tunes to her name! It's time for her to come back.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 10th September 2014, 06:00 PM
Post #8
Group icon

QUOTE(Tyler~ @ Sep 10 2014, 06:56 PM) *
Ariana Grande and Madonna need to be switched. And a few dozen steps placed between tier 3 and 4.

Basically this.

And then remove Selena because i am legit laughing at her inclusion here when she has nothing!? (as much as it pains me to say because 'Come & Get It' is one of THE songs of last year)

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 10th September 2014, 06:03 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I'd probably nudge Beyoncé up to level 1 as well, Katy Perry is probably borderline 1/2 at the moment. I'd also nudge Ariana down and move Madonna and Iggy up as well.

I'm basing this not just on their success, but the cultural and overall impact/profile they have.

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 10th September 2014, 06:04 PM
Post #10
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67

QUOTE(HausofKubrick @ Sep 10 2014, 02:00 PM) *
Basically this.

And then remove Selena because i am legit laughing at her inclusion here when she has nothing!? (as much as it pains me to say because 'Come & Get It' is one of THE songs of last year)

Right.

I'd include Christina Aguilera before even THINKING about Selena Gomez.

ALSO. Why is Iggy being considered at all, and Nicki Minaj is not?? They both edge on pop, and SURELY Nicki has proven herself a bit more with a third album about to be released and SEVERAL more hits than Iggy?

This post has been edited by Tyler~: 10th September 2014, 06:07 PM

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 10th September 2014, 06:08 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Pink's discography is pretty impressive when you stop and think about it isn't it? Her album sales have been remarkably consistent for a pop act.

+Quote this post
LexC
post 10th September 2014, 06:08 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342

Does Taylor Swift have an equivalent character in the nekci menij show though?

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 10th September 2014, 06:16 PM
Post #13
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

I don't really think Ariana Grande is worthy of a place here at all, as Haus already said, she's only had one successful single so far and nothing else of note, seeing her above someone that probably did more for commercial female pop music than anyone ever just doesn't feel right, Problem aside, she has a long, LONG way to convince me she's a great all round popstar. I get that this is based on modern times rather than overall cultural impact, but Madonna hasn't released in two years now, she could have a smash waiting up her sleeve to put her right back up there, you never really know..

Other than that, I agree with it mainly. Rihanna/Beyonce/Katy Perry are undeniably the power three in this present moment. Feels like the latter's been away for ages even if it's only two years!

(oh and YES Pink should really be here too)

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: 10th September 2014, 06:18 PM

+Quote this post
calxyum
post 10th September 2014, 06:25 PM
Post #14
Group icon
my caviar brings all the lords to the court~
Pronouns: he/him
User: 20,799

World's Biggest Female Pop Stars (Currently):
01 | Beyoncé
02 | Rihanna
03 | Katy Perry
04 | Taylor Swift
05 | Miley Cyrus
06 | Nicki Minaj
07 | Ariana Grande
08 | Iggy Azalea
09 | Ellie Goulding
10 | Demi Lovato

...this is of course taking into account their status and profile and the quantity of general interest in them as people and not specifically artists.

This post has been edited by •CDC•: 10th September 2014, 06:25 PM

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 10th September 2014, 06:30 PM
Post #15
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

I would place Lady Gaga around 6th in that list then. She still has a lot of impact, moreso than Ariana/Demi/Ellie. I wouldn't say Ellie is in the Top 10 yet.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 10th September 2014, 06:32 PM
Post #16
Group icon

Yeah 'ARTPOP' outsold the albums of a few of those artists and she's currently on the artRAVE tour which is raking it in. Where are people getting Demi/Ariana/Selena from? Idgi.

She might have dipped but she's not below Ariana just yet laugh.gif

+Quote this post
calxyum
post 10th September 2014, 06:34 PM
Post #17
Group icon

QUOTE(Rabbit Heart @ Sep 10 2014, 07:30 PM) *
I would place Lady Gaga around 6th in that list then. She still has a lot of impact, moreso than Ariana/Demi/Ellie. I wouldn't say Ellie is in the Top 10 yet.

I'd say Gaga is hovering around the outside, I can't make up my kind whether Demi or Gaga should be number ten, there just seems to be buzz around nearly everything Demi does whereas not many people outside of Gaga's fan base really care what she does nowadays.

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 10th September 2014, 06:35 PM
Post #18
Group icon
baddest of them all
User: 6,764

Gaga is still very much up there. ARTPOP was the 9th best selling album WW for 2013. And mind you, PRISM has ALSO underperformed in comparison to Perry's last era, with only 2 hit singles, much like ARTPOP. Perry has never been a touring force either, nor will she win a grammy. Ariana, Demi, Selena, Miley, Bridget Medler and the rest of the disney friends combined probably haven't even earned half the ARTPOP era earned for Gaga, ARTPOP has outsold and will continue to outsell all their albums worldwide. They could only dream to have a sell out WW tour like artRAVE. Taylor Swift, an international act? Lol

It's basically:

01 - Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Beyonce
02 - Britney Spears, Pink
03 - Katy Perry, Taylor Swift

No one else is even close to the relevance of the abovementioned bar Madonna obviously who has been absent for how long now?

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 10th September 2014, 06:36 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Iggy is certainly bigger than Ariana, that is without question.

+Quote this post
calxyum
post 10th September 2014, 06:39 PM
Post #20
Group icon

QUOTE(mr_aly @ Sep 10 2014, 07:36 PM) *
Iggy is certainly bigger than Ariana, that is without question.

Ariana is bigger in my opinion. Iggy has around two hits to her name and a Top 5 album, yes one of those hits was huge, but Ariana is often the topic of conversation much more often when it comes to social media from what I've seen and I'm a HUGE fan of both artists.

I'll admit there isn't much between the two though.

This post has been edited by •CDC•: 10th September 2014, 06:39 PM

+Quote this post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 10:48 PM