BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Persephonia / National Thread, BJSC 120: Vegyn - Debold
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
m
post Nov 20 2016, 12:54 PM
Post #41
Group icon
I asked for my account to be banned
User: 7,132
Persephonia 2016 was pretty great, I watched that video in full and I gave points to a fairly high number of the entries, including two 18s obviously, and in general whenever I pointed you it always happened to be a high score. Always was a nation this year where I looked forward to hearing what they came up with *.*
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brer
post Nov 25 2016, 08:32 PM
Post #42
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 25/11/2016
big catchup edition ~ [1/2]

BJSC Country summary

The latest and final (?) spinoff of the year was another fairly successful one for us as Jason Isbell's 'Elephant' finished 11th in the Country spinoff in Unovia with 61* points coming from 9 countries, including 4 who ranked it in their top 3 of the contest: Aelandor, Aeroche and Suedeonia were our joint biggest supporters giving us 10 points each (the 2nd place points as the slightly lower entry turnout necessitated a switch back to the 12 point system) and Quintessa also gave us 8 points. Thanks to those who gave us their points to give us another top half finish! x

The hosts Unovia completed a hat trick of spinoff wins in the last three that they've entered, following up their Worldvision II and Reinvention I wins with a third gold medal courtesy of Miranda Lambert's 'Oklahoma Sky' which topped a close top 3 with 120 points. That makes them the first country to get three 'official' BJSC spinoff wins, matching Jadakissnia's 2 canonical wins plus the BuzzJack 10th Anniversary non-contest-non-spinoff enigma. The silver medal went to Hushkanukia with Autumn Hill's 'Can't Keep Waiting' on 114 points - making the overall top 2 the same as the top two in Persephonia's votes but flipped around - and Ultraviolenceland clinched third place with 111 points for Ward Thomas' 'Guilty Flowers'. The top 5 was completed by Ramrynia in fourth with '80s Mercedes' by Maren Morris (with 90 points) and Taahino who managed to find a song by Paramore that fit the country theme and were rewarded with a second spinoff top 5 in a row, 'In The Mourning' coming 5th with 88* points.

Whoever inevitably sent Carrie Underwood to the contest was bound to get a hit and it was Federal Republic of Ashton who got in there with 'Cupid's Got A Shotgun' and sure enough came in sixth place. Filling out the rest of the top 10: the monstrosity 'Shut Up And Fish' by Maddie & Tae (at least the whole contest wasn't like this lmao) came 7th for Cor Lupus, Lomaja achieved their first top 10 in a BJSC event coming 8th with 'Bullet' by Jessie James Decker, and Séyetana and Aelandor finished back to back in 9th and 10th with Theory Of A Deadman's 'Livin' My Life Like A Country Song' (feat. Joe Don Rooney) and Mt. Desolation's 'Platform 7' respectively, the latter giving Aelandor their second straight top 10 scrape in the spinoffs.

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC Country

Points awarded:
12 Hushkanukia // Autumn Hill - Can't Keep Waiting
10 Unovia // Miranda Lambert - Oklahoma Sky
8 Jadakissnia // Björn Thoroddsen - Leave It All To You (feat. Anna)

7 Suedeonia // Poco - Rose Of Cimarron
6 Aelandor // Mt. Desolation - Platform 7
5 Terra Avium // Keston Cobblers' Club - The Heights Of Lola
4 Séyetana // Theory Of A Deadman - Livin' My Life Like A Country Song (feat. Joe Don Rooney)
3 Medhelnia // Vigiland - Pong Dance (Acoustic)
2 FSR Rontvia // BlackByrd - From The Bottom Of My Heart (feat. Craig Hinds)
1 The Actual Republic of Bellamia // Hunter Hayes - Light Me Up

11th-26th:
Aeroche // Norah Jones - Creepin' In (feat. Dolly Parton)
Cadelicia // Juice Newton - Queen Of Hearts
Lomaja // Jessie James Decker - Bullet
Taahino // Paramore - In The Mourning
Deandria // Mindy McCready - Ten Thousand Angels
Ramrynia // Maren Morris - 80s Mercedes
Ultraviolenceland // Ward Thomas - Guilty Flowers
Niceland // Douwe Bob - How Lucky We Are
Avalonia // Faith Hill - Sunshine And Summertime
Ojnoj // Mickey Guyton - Better Than You Left Me
Harmonica // The Wreckers - My, Oh My
Federal Republic of Ashton // Carrie Underwood - Cupid's Got A Shotgun
Quintessa // Sugarland - Stay
Flynnonda // Jana Kramer - I Got The Boy
Cor Lupus // Maddie & Tae - Shut Up And Fish
Beaverdonia // Gretchen Wilson - Redneck Woman

*a couple of the final numbers in the thread were slightly off including our own entry missing one all-important point ~ see here for the corrected scoreboard if that's something you particularly care to see

Baby Blood rounds off Persephonia's 2016

Unfortunately the plans for #00274E and N DNTN to host BJSC 90 fell through due to *ahem* technical difficulties, meaning the hosting duties were taken over by the capable hands of the moderator team of Bignia-Zaragovina, Daehun, République d'Ashton, Ramrynia and Aeroche, thankfully not in quite as controversial circumstances as the last mod team hosting coup (BJSC 64, never again).

Anyways, Persephonia's entry to the final contest of the year, our 69th entry to date (lol), was provided by Zambian-born (*.*) Danish singer/rapper Lucy Siame, previously known as Lucy Love but now performing under the new androgynous and enigmatic supervillain alter-ego Baby Blood with 'Figurine', her first single under that name which originally surfaced in November 2015 and was later featured on an EP named 'Await The Coven', released in June of this year. Apart from being our first entry by an artist of African origin (possibly look out for a couple more of those in 2017 ;o) it's also our second Danish entry after 'Simple Guy' by Kadie Elder.

Baby Blood's Facebook describes her sound as 'alternative bass / future RnB', which seems a fitting enough description for the dark and bassy track featuring some wonderful synths and distorted vocal sections making it perfect for Halloween magic.gif Blogs have compared it to the likes of Purity Ring, FKA twigs and SZA (and Mattias' post in here saying it sounded like Sevdaliza vibes seems fairly apt too). Here's the very purple music video for the track, starring Baby Blood in her slightly creepy wrestling mask:

'Figurine' was drawn as track 6 of 31 in semi-final 2, hosted by Daehun (with Bignia-Zaragovina handling the other semi-final, and the final being hosted by Ramrynia, with République d'Ashton and Aeroche presenting the semi-final and final results respectively). This is where we might normally be begging people to vote for us but of course the contest is already over so...

Baby Blood continues our qualification streak

Indeed, 'Figurine' made it to the final, increasing our qualification streak to 6 in a row and finishing the year with 9 out of a possible 10 qualifiers, only missing out with Bachar Mar-Khalifé's 'Mirror Moon' in BJSC 84. With lengthy qualification streaks by Yehesi and Cadelicia coming to an end, Persephonia move back up to joint 4th in the list of longest active streaks. FSR Rontvia sailed through again for a 12th time in a row to stay #1 there, while N DNTN made it 10 in a row making those 2 countries the only ones to be in every 2016 BJSC final. Unovia may have done so as well if they hadn't sat out BJSC 82 - they are third in the list with 8 in a row, and they also qualified in BJSC 81.

Unfortunately the rest of the semi-final 2 results were a bit of a bloodbath for our votes - like in the last contest we lost 2 of our top 3 but unfortunately this time our 12 pointer was one of them, with Ethanola falling agonisingly short of qualifying with V.O.'s 'Mashisa' (Dub Mix) sob.gif our first semi-final 12 to DNQ since Arthur Beatrice's 'Who Returned' in BJSC 81. Rejects justice pls. x Our 8 pointer, Thelonia with LeBrock's 'One Night', also failed to qualify as did three more of the songs we voted for: 6 pointers Tartford with Luce Drayton's 'To Be Loved' (Disco Citizens Remix), 5 pointer 'Hologram' by Vogel representing Deandria and most surprisingly of all Singerpurear who recycled their own former top 5 artist Kishi Bashi with 'Ode To My Next Life' but this time didn't make the final, getting 2 points from us. More of Persephonian voters' top 10 tracks in semi-final 1 made it through, only losing fleeting returnees Pagasa (Marineros' 'Torbellino', 8th in our ranking) and, in another surprise result, Yehesi (Shay's 'PMW', 9th).

This post is long enough already so shall split the rest of the contest summary into a separate post ~

+Quote this post
Brer
post Nov 25 2016, 08:32 PM
Post #43
Group icon
Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 25/11/2016
big catchup edition ~ [2/2]

BJSC 90 summary

- In the final results announced in Aeroche just under two weeks ago (almost caught up!! x), there was some more good news for Persephonia as Baby Blood's 'Figurine' proved to be one of our most successful entries of the year. It finished 13th out of 42 with a total of 202 points, our third highest finish and 2nd highest points total of the year (the third time we broke the 200 point mark, just two of those being by the skin of our teeth). That completed a set of 7 top 20 hits for Persephonia this year, actually one more than we managed in 2015 even though we only had the one top 10 hit this year compared to 5 top 5 hits last year! It was also another entry of ours to get 2 18s, matching our best of the year again for the 3rd time in a row, with the maximum marks this time coming from N-Lazone (with whom we had a rare high points swap) and Usfland. It received points from 24 countries in total, including two other medal positions (a 15 from Aeroche and a 13 from Skall). 'Figurine' also came 13th in semi-final 2 with 70 points, which nominally put it in projected 19th place (although bearing in mind the projections were distorted by semi-final 1 having far more non-voters than semi-final 2).

- The title of the winning song of BJSC 90 was all too appropriate for its circumstances: 2016 had been curiously lacking in BJSC wins by Aeroche thus far, and they had been taking a backseat in the year to date rankings to the likes of Yehesi, Pupok and N DNTN. It would have been Aeroche's first year where they failed to win a contest if that had continued - with previous wins in BJSCs 46-48, 51, 66 and 79 following their debut in BJSC 44 - as well as the first year since their 2012 debut that they didn't top the end of year list. But it was just 'Fate' !!1 that they'd pull out the miracle they needed to keep up their streaks at the last possible opportunity. Like we ever really thought we'd go a year without an Aeroche win!! Indeed, they got to announce their own win with cheeky Kelly Clarkson sampling witch house track 'Fate' by Fraunhofer Diffraction topping the scoreboard with a total of 304 points (and what a delightful winner *.* certainly the correct song to do it for them, being the second time this year our 18 pointer has won after 'Free Tibet' in BJSC 82). That points haul coupled with Yehesi's surprise DNQ and bottom half finishes for N DNTN and Pupok also saw Aeroche leap to claim the end of year #1 for a fourth time in a row despite not leading in any of the previous updates. (Incidentally our own performance was just good enough for us to cling onto 10th place in the EOY despite only having one song go top 10 individually, giving us a second year in a row in the top 10 cheer.gif doing well in the BJSC). Aeroche thus moved a step closer to matching FSR Rontvia's long-standing record for most wins (getting a 7th win, behind FSR's 8). It's no surprise that 'Fate' also won semi-final 1, giving Aeroche their 9th semi-final winner, putting them a win clear of Altyr Muunilinst as the country with the most. It's amazing they've fit them all in when half of their songs are auto-qualifiers really (and yet another of those to come in BJSC 91) biggrin.gif Semi-final 2 was won by Břtanikkä with Ratty's 'Sunrise (Here I Am)', their 6th semi-final win in total and second in a row (the new diacritics in the name are clearly helping), however they fell just short of the top 10 in the final, coming 11th.

- That's not to say that Aeroche had an easy victory though - they were the favourite to win but did so with the lowest total for a winner in 2016 and also the smallest margin of victory. Just 8 points behind them, the silver medal went to Jadakissnia, getting a new main contest peak for the second time in three contests with the splendid 'Earth Not Above' by HĆLOS, improving on their bronze medal with MssingNo's 'Scope' two contests back. This gave them their 6th top 10 finish of the year, joint most of all countries alongside Pupok and (who else) Aeroche, and also means they eclipsed our achievement of 5 top 10s last year (IT'S ON in 2017 xx). And then only one more point back in a nailbitingly tight top 3 were South Danaelanda with Basto's 'Gregory's Theme', matching their best finish to date of 3rd (previously achieved by the united Danaelanda in BJSC 81 with TheFatRat's 'Monody' (feat. Laura Brehm)), marking the second month in a row that a few-years-old song previously overlooked by BJSC participants was picked back up and came top 3 after last month's Ou Est Le Swimming Pool. (It's also incidentally a song that was previously almost an Aeroche entry). It was also very close between the last two tracks in the top 5: Cor Lupus finished 4th with CONTACT's 'Never Stop', their third top 10 of the year, on 279 points, while 5th place went to Altyr Muunilinst with 'Closer To Life' by Atella and Frřder on 277 points, 'only' their second top 10 of the year.

- They had little fanfare in odds and predictions but Trifoski pulled it out of the bag to come 6th with 'Electrify' by Oliver feat. Scott Mellis, their first top 10 for 19 contests (last getting there with all-time classic 'O.N.E.' by Yeasayer in BJSC 71). In unrelated news, purveyors of the anti-Trifoski agenda have recently been reported struck by lightning and tragically killed. Unovia capped off a highly successful year with a 7th place finish with Jackie Tech's 'You Can Have It All', while former Unovian artist FRENSHIP returned to BJSC this time representing recent comeback nation Florina, finishing 8th with '1000 Nights', marking improvements in both song quality~ and performance in the contest over Unovia entry 'Capsize' by FRENSHIP and Emily Warren, which came 20th in BJSC 84 (and has since gone on to become a minor worldwide hit thanks to Spotify payola). '1000 Nights' became Florina's 5th top 10 and second biggest hit to date, only behind machineheart's 'Circles' (feat. Vanic), the runner-up in BJSC 67.

- At the start of the results reveal Harmonica jumped out to a gigantic lead with Lauren Alaina's 'Road Less Traveled', as the countries most inclined to vote for country songs tend to vote early on, and this contest was no exception, with the spectacular outcome that Harmonica got 5 of the first 9 18s, and another 15 on top of that. They ended up not getting any more 18s after that - although still finished with more of the top scores than any other country even so - and gradually faded but still finished 9th, a very respectable position for a country track and Harmonica's 2nd top 10 just 3 contests after they first broke that duck. Speaking of breaking top 10 ducks, BJSC 90 was finally the time for Ultraviolenceland to break into the top tier, finishing 10th with ARIA's 'Maze' after previously topping out at 11th with NIMMO's 'Dilute This' in BJSC 81 and again two contests later with Lucy Hale's 'Lie A Little Better'. There was less luck for two other countries with long-running inability to make the top 10: N-Lazone continue to be the country with the most appearances (41) and no top 10s, but got one of their best results to date, coming 16th with John Rous and Alfie Rhodes' 'Oasis', while Taahino's torture was prolonged again too, with Courage My Love's 'Stereo' coming 18th. That's their 8th top 20 hit, 7 of which were this year, but still none of them getting higher than 14th thus far. Maybe next time??

- Aside from Jadakissnia and Ultraviolenceland, the only other country reaching a new peak was Summericia, who came 24th with IGNEA's 'Alga', one place higher than the last time they broke their national record two contests back (also mirroring Jadakissnia). There weren't any debuting countries in BJSC 90, but four countries made returns to the contest. Pagasa came back at last after an opening run of only two entries earlier in the year, although sadly this comeback will be even shorter as they didn't vote in the final and are thus banned from BJSC 91 (as are Kluminican Republic and Triangledonia). Thelonia returned after their one-month non-voting ban. Both of those sadly DNQed as mentioned in the last post. There were better results for other comeback nations Ajanaeda and Ojnoj. Both of them have been dormant for most of 2016 (only entering in BJSC 87 where both DNQed) but have sneaked in 2016 qualifiers at the last minute. Ajanaeda came 22nd with Skylife's 'Why' (feat. Summer Rayne), their best result for 2 years, and Ojnoj came 30th with Lao Ra's 'Bang Boom'.

- Daehun came 17th with I.O.I's 'Very Very Very', their first top 20 hit for 14 contests (which was preceded by a string of 7 of them in a row, how the mighty have fallen) - a remarkable turnaround from the semi-final where the song scraped through with just 35 points, one more than the record low for a qualifier, which came from just 4 voters (which may be the first time a song has qualified with that few voters). Flynnonda also scraped through the same semi-final with the same number of points, but didn't have the same turnaround, coming 41st (second last) with just 83 points with Alice Jemima's 'Electric'. It was still a victory of sorts for Flynnonda though as they'd DNQed 7 times in a row before this. Ashton rebranded again, reviving their old name of République d'Ashton. Their entry, 'Happy Days' by Brooke Candy, came 33rd.

- The 'auto-qualifier curse' was back in full force: #00274E followed their win with a 36th place with Ben Delay's 'I Never Felt So Right', and the other auto-qualifier from Medhelnia did even worse, giving them another wooden spoon to add to their collection, as their entry 'Surfboard Fire' by Blitz//Berlin came 42nd and last, two contests after their last wooden spoon entry. 'Surfboard Fire' was disadvantaged from the start as Medhelnia did not submit votes in the semi-finals, which meant they faced a 30% deduction even though they voted on time in the final. However, it was already last place by some distance even before the deduction, and ultimately finished on just 45 points, the lowest of any song since the current voting system was implemented in BJSC 74. Oop ~

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC 90

Final

Points awarded:
18 Aeroche // Fraunhofer Diffraction - Fate
15 Terra Avium // Kitchen - Time (Inception)
13 N-Lazone // John Rous and Alfie Rhodes - Oasis

12 Skall // David Lyme - Bye, Bye Mi Amor
11 Jadakissnia // HĆLOS - Earth Not Above
10 Espen // Sacred Spirit - Yeha-Noha (Wishes Of Happiness & Prosperity)
9 Quintessa // Ghost - Square Hammer
8 Séyetana // Arion - At The Break Of Dawn (feat. Elize Ryd)
7 Břtanikkä // Ratty - Sunrise (Here I Am)
6 #00274E // Ben Delay - I Never Felt So Right

5 South Danaelanda // Basto - Gregory's Theme
4 Altyr Muunilinst // Atella and Frřder - Closer To Life
3 Summericia // IGNEA - Alga
2 Lomaja // Chrystina Sayers - From Here
1 Florina // FRENSHIP - 1000 Nights

16th-41st:
Trifoski // Oliver - Electrify (feat. Scott Mellis)
Usfland // The Brevet - Moving Mountains
Cor Lupus // CONTACT - Never Stop
N DNTN // Kiddy Smile - Let A B!tch Know
République d'Ashton // Brooke Candy - Happy Days
Mulgracia // Off Bloom - Love To Hate It
Pupok // Ängie - Smoke Weed Eat Pussy
Daehun // I.O.I - Very Very Very
Medhelnia // Blitz//Berlin - Surfboard Fire
Republic of Adonia // Jane Zhang - Dust My Shoulders Off (feat. Timbaland)
Kylienips // Cruel Youth - Hatefuck
Unovia // Jackie Tech - You Can Have It All
D'yermak'er // Julia Knight - Ghost Of You
Dobago // Salvatore Ganacci - Dive (feat. Enya and Alex Aris)
Hushkanukia // Hanne Mjřen - Perfect Noise
Avalonia // Deborah Iurato - Sono Ancora Io
Ojnoj // Lao Ra - Bang Boom
Fljótavík // Red Rosamond - Damn
Syndare // Smith & Thell - ROW
Taahino // Courage My Love - Stereo
New Lexico // KAYE - UUU
Flynnonda // Alice Jemima - Electric
FSR Rontvia // Natalia Nykiel - Error
Harmonica // Lauren Alaina - Road Less Traveled
Ultraviolenceland // ARIA - Maze
Ajanaeda // Skylife - Why (feat. Summer Rayne)

~

Semi-Final 2

Points awarded:
12 Ethanola // V.O. - Mashisa (Dub Mix)
10 Břtanikkä // Ratty - Sunrise (Here I Am)
8 Thelonia // LeBrock - One Night

7 South Danaelanda // Basto - Gregory's Theme
6 Tartford // Luce Drayton - To Be Loved (Disco Citizens Remix)
5 Deandria // Vogel - Hologram
4 N-Lazone // John Rous and Alfie Rhodes - Oasis
3 N DNTN // Kiddy Smile - Let A B!tch Know
2 Singerpurear // Kishi Bashi - Ode To My Next Life
1 Florina // FRENSHIP - 1000 Nights

11th-30th:
Lomaja // Chrystina Sayers - From Here
D'yermak'er // Julia Knight - Ghost Of You
Unovia // Jackie Tech - You Can Have It All
Altyr Muunilinst // Atella and Frřder - Closer To Life
Mulgracia // Off Bloom - Love To Hate It
Oslol // Merry Clayton - When The World Turns Blue (Melodies Of Love)
Bignia-Zaragovina // Jeremy Messersmith - Ghost
Hushkanukia // Hanne Mjřen - Perfect Noise
Syndare // Smith & Thell - ROW
Kylienips // Cruel Youth - Hatefuck
Dobago // Salvatore Ganacci - Dive (feat. Enya and Alex Aris)
St. Burbia // Alisha Pillay - Mayday
Ojnoj // Lao Ra - Bang Boom
New Lexico // KAYE - UUU
Avalonia // Deborah Iurato - Sono Ancora Io
Harmonica // Lauren Alaina - Road Less Traveled
Greenfroze // Alle Farben - Bad Ideas
Ultraviolenceland // ARIA - Maze
Land of DW // Nosfe - Condimente (feat. Ruby)
Niceland // AJR - I'm Not Famous

DNQed

~

Semi-Final 1 DNQs

8th Pagasa // Marineros - Torbellino
9th Yehesi // Shay - PMW

12th Tinnmark // Snö - Krig
15th Zanmatony // Metrik - Chasing Sunrise (feat. Elisabeth Troy)
20th Aelandor // Fireflight - Unbreakable
22nd Desbuanda // T.O.L.D. - 2 Young
23rd Ramrynia // The Japanese House - Face Like Thunder
26th Triangledonia // MaRLo - You And Me (feat. Chloe)
27th The Actual Republic of Bellamia // Trevor Dahl - When You Come Home
29th Cadelicia // Paris & Simo - Reunite (Galloway Remix) (feat. Patrick Moreno and Aloma Steele)
30th Kluminican Republic // Mason Jennings - How Deep Is That River

+Quote this post
Brer
post Nov 25 2016, 08:34 PM
Post #44
Group icon
yay paragraphs

In other news, TBO IX is now underway - any nominations for our 9 eligible songs greatly appreciated! ;o (Although 'The Wandering Songstress' is the only one with even a slightly realistic chance of making it to the semi-finals).

And once Rejects nominations finally surface, #votemirrormoon

QUOTE(Mattias @ Nov 20 2016, 12:54 PM) *
Persephonia 2016 was pretty great, I watched that video in full and I gave points to a fairly high number of the entries, including two 18s obviously, and in general whenever I pointed you it always happened to be a high score. Always was a nation this year where I looked forward to hearing what they came up with *.*

Why thank you <3 Have greatly appreciated the Deandria support this year, it's a shame I haven't been able to return much of it with so many of your best entries DNQing :'(

~

(also in other other news - Persephonia EOY 2016 will be commencing some time in December probably. yay. think I might steal Addy/Dan's format)

+Quote this post
Jade
post Nov 25 2016, 09:00 PM
Post #45
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
Paragraphs galore *.* T'was worth the wait~

Well done on the top 15 placing for 'Figurine'! cheer.gif It was pretty crazy that I actually knew of Baby Blood through 'Gender Science' haha! This was another solid one from her with a pretty cool video alongside. You've been a rather consistent mid-tabler this year ;o Kool that all of those top 20s have amounted to a top 10 YTD placing, congrats on another one of those *.*

Lmao it is onnn for 2017 where top 10 hits are concerned, bring it on xx You'll probably beat me tho, after all - you do well in the BJSC wink.gif xo

'The Wandering Songstress' 2 slay TBO x (in an ideal world 'Thelema' would be killin' it)

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Nov 25 2016, 09:20 PM
Post #46
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
I had no idea Baby Blood was Lucy Love ohmy.gif I've had her on my radar for absolutely ages (although as is probably apparent haven't followed her up since like 2013)

+Quote this post
Brer
post Nov 25 2016, 09:37 PM
Post #47
Group icon
QUOTE(Jade @ Nov 25 2016, 09:00 PM) *
Paragraphs galore *.* T'was worth the wait~

Well done on the top 15 placing for 'Figurine'! cheer.gif It was pretty crazy that I actually knew of Baby Blood through 'Gender Science' haha! This was another solid one from her with a pretty cool video alongside. You've been a rather consistent mid-tabler this year ;o Kool that all of those top 20s have amounted to a top 10 YTD placing, congrats on another one of those *.*

Lmao it is onnn for 2017 where top 10 hits are concerned, bring it on xx You'll probably beat me tho, after all - you do well in the BJSC wink.gif xo

'The Wandering Songstress' 2 slay TBO x (in an ideal world 'Thelema' would be killin' it)

Haha I've basically been doing a Taahino since February with 6 out of 9 songs finishing between 12th and 20th laugh.gif I won't beat you ever again tho, you clearly have the momentum xx (and oh yes if only 'Thelema' had any chance D: x)

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Nov 25 2016, 09:20 PM) *
I had no idea Baby Blood was Lucy Love ohmy.gif I've had her on my radar for absolutely ages (although as is probably apparent haven't followed her up since like 2013)

I did wonder if anyone would actually recognise that name! (I had never heard of Lucy Love but I gather she had some kind of blog hype before)

+Quote this post
Brer
post Dec 2 2016, 05:20 AM
Post #48
Group icon
OH MY GOD

A-WA are really going up in the world. It's beautiful cry.gif

after this song right here, Imma need 4 passports

(I saw Pitbull also has a new song that samples Desbuanda entry 'Can't Have' by Steven A. Clark, clearly BJSC is giving him all his ideas lately laugh.gif)

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Dec 2 2016, 05:35 AM
Post #49
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
don't kill me but I think Pitbull elevated both songs to a higher level (particularly "Can't Have")

+Quote this post
danG
post Dec 2 2016, 08:09 AM
Post #50
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
Mr. Actual Worldwide remixing A-WA :cheeseblock: amazing.

+Quote this post
Brer
post Dec 2 2016, 12:20 PM
Post #51
Group icon
QUOTE(Cody Slayberry @ Dec 2 2016, 05:35 AM) *
don't kill me but I think Pitbull elevated both songs to a higher level (particularly "Can't Have")

I can't even begrudge this opinion tbh.

+Quote this post
Brer
post Dec 4 2016, 11:45 PM
Post #52
Group icon
Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 04/12/2016

The Shanghai Restoration Project books us a place in The Best of BJSC IX!

Persephonia have a representative in at least the semi-finals of the annual retrospective The Best of BJSC contest for a fourth year running, as our one entry with a non-outside chance of making it through the nominations round did so, The Shanghai Restoration Project's 'The Wandering Songstress' (feat. Zhang Le) getting at least 23 nomination points and taking one of the 7 qualifier slots from BJSC 81 as announced last night in Ramrynia. The result also continues our pleasing stat of making it to at least the semi-finals of TBO with all 11 of our top 10 hits. Maybe not as impressive as it sounds considering they were all at least 6th to begin with, but then again last night proved that a high position is neither necessary nor sufficient when it comes to TBO. Pray for Plaitum, pray for MssingNo, pray for Ou Est Le Swimming Pool, and praise/curses be to whatever transpired that allowed SOFI TUKKER, Sleigh Bells and Hayley Kiyoko among many other non-hits through.

In any case, 'The Wandering Songstress' has been drawn in slot 27 of 40 in semi-final 1 in Bignia-Zaragovina and while it'll be a tall order to make it to the final we are very grateful for its beauty continuing to be recognised to allow it to get this far and any semi-final votes for it will be greatly appreciated heart.gif

As for our other eligible entries in TBO, unsurprisingly they all fell short in this opening nominations round, but a couple of them were much closer to a qualifier slot than we thought they'd be - primarily BOOTS' 'C.U.R.E.' which was just one point (give or take a tiebreak) off qualifying from BJSC 83, with 20 nomination points in all. Our next highest number of points was for most recent entry 'Figurine' by Baby Blood which got 16 points (9 points less than needed to go through), but the next closest to qualifying was Fallgrapp's 'Vlasy' which got 14 points, only 3 away from possibly qualifying. Tailing off from there, TWRR's 'Water Frozen' also got 14 points, Aron Can's 'Međ Mér' got 13 (both were 7 points off the lowest qualifier), Digitalism's 'Blitz' got 12 (8 off), Color Guard's 'In Your Bones' got 9 (13 off) and unsurprisingly our biggest flop was Řfdream's 'Thelema' which got just 5 points, all from Jadakissnia (it would have needed 18 more to qualify). Valiant efforts. x 9 of the 50 songs Persephonia nominated got through, which is not wonderful but certainly could have been a lot worse, especially as there were also some great auto-qualifiers.

Meanwhile the other retrospective contest, The Best of BJSC - The Rejects IX, has also belatedly begun, so here's another plug for our one eligible entry there, Bachar Mar-Khalifé's 'Mirror Moon' which missed the final of BJSC 84. We still think it's pretty underrated. Hopefully some of you guys will agree. x

+Quote this post
Jade
post Dec 4 2016, 11:53 PM
Post #53
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Move over M+A feat. DENA ~ A-WA and Pitbull is the true team-up of dreams *.* kink.gif

Congrats on 'The Wandering Songstress' making it! cheer.gif I had so many highlights of BJSC 81 and that was up there as one of 'em. A complete lack of Persephonia would have felt odd following your dominance last year, so thank gawd BJSC voters. Lmao at me being the only person to point 'Thelema', everyone is sleeping on that tbh. You repaying me with being my sole VHS Glitch pointer heart.gif laugh.gif Also, 'C.U.R.E.' being so close to qualifying was a welcome surprise ohmy.gif

The all of your top 10s reaching the semi-finals of TBO stat is beautiful *.* may it never end.

Rejects to give justice to our weird out-there foreign language songs plz

+Quote this post
Brer
post Dec 9 2016, 10:10 PM
Post #54
Group icon
EOY coming v soon ~ I have put together my top 103 of the year (I'll explain why 103 in a bit xx), the following countries make multiple appearances:

8x Jadakissnia ph34r.gif
5x Ethanola, N DNTN, Skall
4x Desbuanda, Fljótavík, Séyetana, Syndare, Terra Avium
3x Břtanikkä, Dobago, Land of DW, FKA FKA FKA π, Quintessa, Tartford, Trifoski
2x Aelandor, Aeroche, Cor Lupus, Cumulonimbia, Espen, FSR Rontvia, Pupok, Singerpurear, Suedeonia, Yehesi

and 19 other mystery countries have a single appearance. It pained me to cut it off there as I picked out 260 songs worthy of being in my EOY but it has to stop somewhere lest the honour be devalued ;o

Breakdown of number of entries per contest:

15 from BJSC 82
14 from BJSC 89
13 from BJSC 90
11 from BJSC 88
10 from BJSC 81
10 from BJSC 85
10 from BJSC 86
8 from BJSC 84
6 from BJSC 83
6 from BJSC 87

Actually forgot how many huge highlights 89 had as well as 82 & 90 ;o expected those to be the top 2.

I will be doing a rank of every country's entries like I did last year and then shall post my top 103 probably with very minimal commentary a la Chez Wombat because I'd like to actually finish this this year. Hype. x

+Quote this post
Jade
post Dec 9 2016, 10:16 PM
Post #55
Group icon
Alone and wounded
YESSSSS! 8 appearances *.* Rly looking forward to finding out where they have landed~

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Dec 9 2016, 11:40 PM
Post #56
Group icon
Another nod for Nhato is always nice to see heart.gif I wonder what that mystery second entry is...

(Might be Rain Man but I also vaguely remember you liking Pixel Fix as well)

+Quote this post
lotita
post Dec 10 2016, 12:09 AM
Post #57
Group icon
feminist icon
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,777
yas pupok impakt *.* predicting wimbledon and tequila? ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
randomfurlong
post Dec 10 2016, 12:14 AM
Post #58
Group icon
musing
User: 13,969
ooh 4! surely my best hit rate from the eoy charts so far wub.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post Dec 17 2016, 09:52 PM
Post #59
Group icon
Actually decided to expand my EOY so it's now a top 150 (well, 153) like last year. An update on the countries with multiple appearances:

9x Jadakissnia
7x N DNTN
6x Ethanola, Terra Avium
5x Desbuanda, Fljótavík, FKA FKA FKA π, Séyetana, Skall, Tartford, Trifoski
4x Aeroche, Beaverdonia, Břtanikkä, Cumulonimbia, Deandria, Espen, Quintessa, Syndare
3x Cor Lupus, Dobago, Land of DW, Pupok, Singerpurear, St. Burbia, Suedeonia
2x Aelandor, Cadelicia, FSR Rontvia, Tinnmark, Yehesi
1x 27 other countries

The reason for the 3 extra songs is that there were 3 entries that I wasn't sure whether to include in my EOY at all, as I primarily like them for reasons not related to BJSC (2 songs that I'd known and loved for years before their contests and one that only grew on me after it became a UK hit after I didn't like it that much in the actual contest). I ultimately decided to include them, so I tagged 3 more songs onto the end to show what would have made it in if I didn't include them. magic.gif

So here is 153-151 (including how many points / where I ranked the songs in their contest for context ~):

153 Florina 90 // FRENSHIP - 1000 Nights {1 point}
152 Lomaja 90 // Chrystina Sayers - From Here {2 points}
151 Beaverdonia 87 // Shreya Ghoshal and Osman Mir - Nagada Sang Dhol {6 points}

And here are my rankings of the 2016 entries for all the countries who have no songs in my top 150:

AJANAEDA
AJÁ ROSE - Paradise Blue > Skylife - Why (feat. Summer Rayne)

ALTERIA
Shiggy Jr. - Beautiful Life

RÉPUBLIQUE D'ASHTON
Brooke Candy - Happy Days > KITTY - Reach No Higher > Coco Morier - Dreamer > Walking On Cars - Speeding Cars > Evelina - Honey (feat. Mikael Gabriel) > Madison Beer - All For Love (feat. Jack & Jack) > Us The Duo - Slow Down Time > Lisa Ajax - Give Me That > Ella Sanoo - Leave This Town > Jana Kramer - I Hope It Rains

THE ACTUAL REPUBLIC OF BELLAMIA
Jesper Jenset - High > Ryan Lawrie - If Only > Shawn Hook - Sound Of Your Heart > Isac Elliot - Worth Something > The Ready Set - Good Enough > Catey Shaw - The Ransom (Tommy Walker Remix) > Maty Noyes - in my miNd > Joel Adams - Please Don't Go > Trevor Dahl - When You Come Home > Benjamin - Body

BHANGRA
Henri Pfr - Home > Karizma ONE - When Life Is Grey > Timeflies - Once In A While

BRECHTORIA
GLADES - Her (Loving You) > Stadiumx - Mombasa > The Boxer Rebellion - Big Ideas > Tigertown - Lonely Cities > Kelsea Ballerini - XO

BUBBLELANDS
Ta-Ra - ORION (feat. ISSUE)

BUZZJACK MOUNTAIN
Water Juice - In Love (feat. Audrey Graham) > The Snake - Wasting My Life (feat. Doctor Blind)

DAEHUN
IU - Twenty-Three > I.O.I - Very Very Very > Red Velvet - Russian Roulette > LUNA - Free Somebody > 9MUSES - Hurt Locker > GFRIEND - Rough > TAEYEON - Why > Girls' Generation - Gee > Namie Amuro - Hero > Jain - Come

DALISSKA
KNOWER - Hanging On

D'YERMAK'ER
Kiiara - Feels > Smerz - Because > Julia Knight - Ghost Of You > CAPPA - I'm Good > Terror Jr - Sugar > Sada Vidoo - The Actress > Frances Rose - Dangerous > Scavenger Hunt - River Runs Dry > RIVRS - Falling > Ryos - Where We Are (feat. KARRA)

F.D. ANĒNÉ
Martin Jensen - All I Wanna Do

FARAHTYN
Nigar Jamal - Herhalde (feat. Berksan)

FARC
Mahan Moin - Azizami > Salt Ashes - Save It > Patrick Hagenaar - Turn Back Time (Back To The Time) > MUNA - Winterbreak > Noella Nix - Someone > JONES - Hoops > morgxn - love you with the lights on (Monsieur Adi Remix)

FLORINA
FRENSHIP - 1000 Nights [#153] > Foreign Air - Echo > Echos - Gold

FLYNNONDA
Wolfie - Obi Wan > LKA - TURBULENCE > GRACE - I'M FINE > Mount Tyrant - One Night > Ruth Koleva - Oceans > Fickle Friends - Cry Baby > Magic Man - Paris > Panama Wedding - A Brand New Life > Alice Jemima - Electric > Them Swoops - Work Around It

FRANDOOT
Miya Folick - I Got Drunk

GREENFROZE
Perttu - Waves (feat. Alexandra) > The Girl And The Dreamcatcher - Make You Stay > Philter - Revolver (feat. Miriam Vaga) > PMMP - Lautturi > Alle Farben - Bad Ideas > Matilda - Ghost > That Poppy - Lowlife > A.KOR - Always > Vicetone - Anywhere I Go > Sody - Sorry

HENDINIA
Highasakite - Samurai Swords > SASHA ₴ѺѺ - Nightmare (feat. Tuesday Knight) > That Poppy - Money > Against The Current - Outsiders > CLMD - Dust (feat. Astrid S) > Mike Perry - The Ocean (feat. SHY Martin) > Love Thy Brother - Love Me Better (feat. Ariel Beesley)

ISCONIA
Alice Boman - Waiting

JAYRUSALEM
Keke Palmer - I Don't Belong To You

JOEDONIA
LANY - ILYSB

LOMAJA
Chrystina Sayers - From Here [#152] > HYOYEON, Min and Jo Kwon - Born To Be Wild (feat. JYP) > Kero Kero Bonito - Trampoline

NICELAND
Royce Lovett - I Wanna Love You > MÖWE and Daniel Nitt - Lovers Friends > AJR - I'm Not Famous

OJNOJ
Lao Ra - Bang Boom > Chelsea Lankes - Bullet

PROJ
Mystery Jets - Telomere

RAMRYNIA
Sabrina Carpenter - On Purpose > BB Diamond - Feeling > MY - White Water > Venior - Sugar Rush > The Japanese House - Face Like Thunder > Michaela May - 1954 > NEIKED - Sexual (feat. Dyo) > Cilia - Hardcore Heartbreak > Julian Perretta - Miracle > Just Kiddin - Fall For You

SANDEBÖRG
Peg Parnevik - We Are (Ziggy & Carola) > Helly Luv - Revolution > Ohlayindigo - Lullaby > Espen - Werk Like Beyoncé > Brooke - Golden > Ulrika - Oh Sally! > SMILO - Young Again > Lola Coca - Bad Girlfriend

SUMMERICIA
IGNEA - Alga > Dennis Sheperd and Sarah Lynn - Dive > Invader Girl - Stuck On Me > Keys&Cages - Invisible > Boston Bun - Paris Groove (feat. Mayer Hawthorne) > Generik - Late At Night > Genevieve - Colors (PLS&TY Remix) > Billie Ray Martin - The Glittering Gutter (Dave Audé Club Mix) > Hartebees - Justified (Sunrise Funk) (feat. Kaleena Zanders) > VYAN - Hard To Break

TAAHINO
Ghost Town - Spark > Beautiful Bodies - Capture & Release > Icon For Hire - Now You Know > Jule Vera - Die Trying > Fingertips - Kiss Me > Jeremy Shada, Shauna Case and Annie Sertich - Running Errands With My Mom > Tonight Alive - How Does It Feel? > Courage My Love - Stereo > Seven Lions - Lose Myself (feat. Lynn Gunn) > Crystalyne - Punks Don't Dance

TRIANGLEDONIA
TAI and Son Of 8 - In & Out > Tom Sawyer - Marihuana (Into This House) (Million Faces Remix) > The Him - Don't Leave Without Me (feat. Gia Koka) > Different Heaven - OMG > The Aces - Stuck > MaRLo - You And Me (feat. Chloe) > Manse - Freeze Time (feat. Alice Berg) > Alexa Lusader - Fantasy (Sokko Remix) > Emma Carn - Bad Boy Genes

UNOVIA
Atiye - Abrakadabra > Ali Barter - Far Away > Annalisa - Se Avessi Un Cuore > Jackie Tech - You Can Have It All > Baby K - Anna Wintour > Ricki-Lee - Mirage > Rachel Bloom - You Can Touch My Boobies (feat. Nicole Shabtai and Tess Paras) > FRENSHIP and Emily Warren - Capsize > Tal - Are We Awake

UTOPIA
Bleached - Sour Candy > Average White Band - When Will You Be Mine

ZAMINTON
Rykka - Movies

ZANMATONY
Metrik - Chasing Sunrise (feat. Elisabeth Troy) > Amber - Sexual (Li Da Di)

I shall reveal the other rankings as we get to each country's highest appearance in my countdown and will write a short bit of commentary for each of those countries, a bit like Iz's countdown but not in alphabetical order and maybe with not as many words ;o

I also made a ranking of my own entries:

PERSEPHONIA
The Shanghai Restoration Project - The Wandering Songstress (feat. Zhang Le) > Aron Can - Međ Mér > Fallgrapp - Vlasy > Řfdream - Thelema > TWRR - Water Frozen > BOOTS - C.U.R.E. > Bachar Mar-Khalifé - Mirror Moon > Baby Blood - Figurine > Color Guard - In Your Bones > Digitalism - Blitz

My two most successful entries of the year are also by some distance my two favourites so hooray for people getting this right! Both songs that I was completely obsessed with for months and still spam regularly. I'm so glad 'The Wandering Songstress' was a big hit because I genuinely had no clue how it would go down but I just had to send it as it was one of the most gorgeous pieces of music I'd ever come across while searching for BJSC entries. 'Međ Mér' is rather different sounding but such a huge earworm (I've learnt all the words!!1 phonetically at least lmao), and again one that surprised me a lot in actually doing pretty well. The pattern doesn't continue after that though as 'Figurine' was my 3rd biggest hit but I actually think that was a relatively weak end to the year for me, ranking only 8th (I still love it and all, can never go wrong with some spooky synths, I just feel like I won't go back to it as much as most of these). 'Vlasy' completes my top 3 of standout foreign language entries, this one actually wasn't even one I instantly loved when I came across it, but it was interesting enough to keep drawing me back to it and it wormed its way into my affections after a couple of listens. 'Thelema', in 4th, was much more of an instant love track and I think it's rather underrated considering witchy tracks have otherwise mostly done really well this year, but then I suppose 'Thelema' doesn't have as much to it as most of them, it just relies on a mostly unchanging spooky rhythm. I don't have an issue with unchanging rhythms though. I mean, I loved 'Mutter'. x 'Water Frozen' completes my top 5, a bit of a cold and moody track which I still think I maybe should have saved for the winter but it did well enough for itself anyway, it's all about the build to the delicious instrumental near the end heart.gif 'C.U.R.E.' comes in 6th, felt good to send in an out and out male-vocalled hip hop track without a pop hook and somehow not completely flop. 'Mirror Moon' was always pretty doomed in retrospect but I'm not gonna be predictable and rank it last out of my entries because I still have a lot of love for it, the vocals are a bit marmite I guess but I still absolutely adore the pianos and the way it builds. The last 2 are quite far behind the rest, I don't disown them completely but I do regret sending them a bit as I usually like to try and send ~distinctive~ songs and while 'In Your Bones' is a pretty good and catchy little indie synthpop number and 'Blitz' is still a banger, ultimately they're both pretty standard songs which have been done many times before and a lot better. It's especially a shame I chose to send something as generic as 'Blitz' to BJSC 82, a contest that was otherwise defined by nearly everyone sending bonkers and unique tracks, which made it my favourite contest of the year, spoiled only by myself. Oops. xx But yes, on the whole... what a great country!!

(my commentary is not gonna be that verbose for everyone... or if it is, this is not gonna get finished lol)

150-101 coming tomorrow probably.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Dec 17 2016, 10:01 PM
Post #60
Group icon
The mystery continues

Will you be also doing a "worst of the year" countdown? If memory serves me right, the countries that have entered at least 9 times this year and don't have a song in your best end up having a song in your worst tongue.gif

+Quote this post

17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:28 AM