BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jupiter's Top 40 so far this month #10, 19 new entries and a brand new #1 + links + write-up
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post Oct 19 2016, 12:01 PM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
It's all change in the chart this week with a slew of new entries, as half of last week's chart drops out. Noonie Bao ascends unexpectedly to #1, just barely fending off Sia/Kendrick and a blazing new entry from Empire of the Sun featuring Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac. I would not be surprised to see Reminds Me, by the writer of MØ's Final Song, do a 'Tilted' next year and see success well after its original release date. George Maple, my 2016 golden discovery storms into the top 10 with her third track this year, Lover, while The Weeknd blasts into the top 5, and Solange parks up just shy at #11. More detail on moves and new entries in the next post; for now, here's the top 40 in full up to halfway through October:

01 Noonie Bao - Reminds Me [25-6-1]
02 Sia ft. Kendrick - The Greatest [22-5-3-2]
03 Empire of the Sun - To Her Door [N]
04 The Weeknd - Starboy [12-4]
05 Warpaint - Above Control [8-5]
06 Chainsmokers ft. Halsey - Closer [25-10-3-3-X2-36-23-4-6]
07 George Maple - Lover [N]
08 Britney Spears - Mood Ring [13-8]
09 Youngr - Out of My System [16-5-1-1-9]
10 Usher ft. Future - Rivals [17-10]
11 Solange - Don't Wish Me Well [N]
12 Ariana Grande - Into You [17-18-13-X3-32-22-14-12]
13 Everything Everything - I Believe It Now [37-7-11-13]
14 Lucas Nord ft. Naomi Pilgrim - Do About It [N]
15 Maria Hazell - Debut [14-5-15]
16 Boston Bun ft. Loreen - Get Into It [N]
17 Hayley Kiyoko - Gravel To Tempo [N]
18 Janet Jackson - Take Me Away [28-18]
19 Ritual ft. Mononoke - Bottle Tops [N]
20 Møme - Aloha [25-20]
21 Sleigh Bells - Champions of Unrestricted Beauty [18-21]
22 Jones - Wild [34-22]
23 Disco Fries ft. Shy Martin - Is It Over [N]
24 Alicia Keys ft. A$AP Rocky - Blended Family [N]
25 Holychild ft. RAC - Power Play [12-7-25]
26 Noonie Bao - Bodywork Lover [R]
27 Feeder - Eyes to the Sky [N]
28 Minks - Doomed and Cool [N]
29 Years & Years - Meteorite [38-33-29]
30 Brooke Candy - Changes [32-9-8-23-30]
31 Warpaint - New Song [20-5-15-36-X1-24-35-31]
32 Tinashe - Superlove [3-3-2-9-32]
33 Green Day - Ordinary World [N]
34 Gaga - Perfect Illusion [17-4-3-2-34]
35 Wolf Alice - Freazy [R]
36 Grimes ft. Aristophanes - Scream [N]
37 Jones - Bring Me Down [N]
38 Kaiser Chiefs - Why Do You Do It To Me? [N]
39 Frank Ocean - Nikes [N]
40 Girl Blue - Fire Under Water [N]

#1s this year:
AlunaGeorge - Mean What I Mean (1)
Britney Spears - Make Me (1)
Tove Lo - Cool Girl (2)
Clean Bandit ft. Louisa Johnson - Tears (1)
Dev ft. Nef the Pharaoh - #1 (1)
Empire Of The Sun - High And Low (1)
Youngr - Out Of My System (2)
Noonie Bao - Reminds Me (1)

Spotify Link to the playlist in full this week: click right here
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Oct 19 2016, 12:03 PM
Post #2
Group icon
It was close-run this week with To Her Door and The Greatest both challenging for the top spot at different points. The former might end up blocking the latter in the end up – a shame, as not to be too punny, The Greatest is easily up there for me with Sia’s best work. New #1 girl Noonie Bao, Jones and Warpaint double up this week, while other new entries come from Brit-indie resurgences from Kaiser Chiefs and Feeder, R&B from Frank Ocean, Solange and Alicia Keys, and the typical week’s indietronica in greater supply from Boston Bun/Loreen, Disco Fries & Shy Martin, Lucas Nord and Ritual. Grimes’ zany Scream featuring Korean rapper Aristophanes also sneaks in this week – largely due to the artist’s splurge release of 6 new videos last weekend. Closer maintains its space in the top 10 after a phenomenal run including a week out, it’s this week’s longest runner. George Maple’s Lover continues the singer’s transformation from pure indie into sexyfied alt&B, while Solange charts an album track rather than her lead single – which hasn’t caught me yet. More on some of the other new entries, along with links, follows:

Second single from Empire of the Sun this year features Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac, another of my all-time favourites, so unless this was an absolute dud it was almost guaranteed some chart success. It’s a more midtempo, following the usual pattern of the band’s singles, leading with an upbeat number. It took this one a few weeks to connect with me, but I’m enjoying it now – as you can see. Classic rock + synths + falsetto isn’t the most obvious combination, but when done like this, it’s oh so effective. To Her Door comes in at #3, while parent album Two Vines releases 28/10.

Solange doesn’t like to be compared to her sister, so I’ll just say until this year, she was the sister of the two I much preferred. Lemonade has done some work to even the odds though for big sister B. I first came across Solange, like many, probably, with Losing You – which was a champion in Record of the Decade earlier this year, especially for a non UK top 40 song. Don’t Wish Me Well lifts from Solange’s A Seat At The Table released earlier this month, and is her third track total to impact my charts ever following Losing You and Locked in Closets from 2012's True. #11 for this one this week.

Lucas Nord has been off my radar for a while since first appearing with Run On Love feat. a Before-She-Was-Famous Tove Lo in 2013. Here the DJ returns, teaming up with another Swede - this time Naomi Pilgrim, who due to pitching, sounds more like a boy on this track. It's electro, samples, repetitive, catchy. Even a bit retro? And it's this week's #14.

Actress and singer Hayley Kiyoko’s This Side of Paradise was her first track to strike me back in 2014. In chasing up the artist to see what she’d been up to in the interim, this was the EP track that stood out to me, actually a single for once. Strange title, but good song. Debuts this week at #17.

Alicia Keys’ return has been a bit…low-key, if you’ll forgive the pun. First single didn't catch me but this is more like it, lounge-style with a bit of a TLC sound to it almost. This week's #24.

Generally I’m not the biggest fan of fast rock, but rock band ballads are definitely something I enjoy, and this little acoustic spot doesn’t disappoint. It enters at #33.

Wolf Alice here, with what’s either a debut or a new entry from what’s been a slow burner all year. Having a friend called Alice helps this one crop up a lot every time you come across her. This week's #35

Third track from the Kaisers to chart for me this year, as the band continue their transformation from full on indie rock to the kind of alternative indie pop I personally prefer. It’s not a transformation I expected, but it’s a shift undertaken by not only the Kaisers, but a lot of their contemporaries – Hoosiers, the Vaccines, Kasabian and Keane to name only a few. This one’s not a single – yet, anyway – but as is often the case, a track that stood out to me from the album and so made it across to my playlists. #38 now.

And finally our legacy indie girl for this week, appropriately named, Girl Blue. Following the lead of Molly Marlette, Katelyn Tarver and Annabel Jones, Girl Blue was Spotify-spotted by me and apparently is on her way to viral success. In a bizarre twist of fate she's also worked with Ingrid Michaelson, another under-the-radar singer who just recently charted a song for me. Not bad for someone who only made their first release two weeks ago! Sneaks in at #40 this week, very sweet sounding, almost like more upbeat Daughter or Birdy.

That’s it for this week folks. As always, questions, comments, discussion, are all very much welcome!

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: Oct 20 2016, 06:40 PM

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Oct 21 2016, 10:35 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Links and write-up now up, a little later than planned - overtime work does that!

+Quote this post
awardinary
post Oct 24 2016, 10:55 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587
Hey Jupiter,

Not too familiar with many of the songs in your chart unfortunately. But I do like your entries from Sia and The Weeknd too.

The highlight for me this week is in fact Years & Years which has suddenly become a loved song for me. wub.gif

Please be sure to check out my latest chart HERE. I'd love to hear your views! smile.gif

As always, another fine personal chart this week! cool.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:02 PM