BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Worst Number One ever - Heat 1 (1952-1979), Results coming from Page 2
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JulianT
post Oct 1 2022, 09:18 PM
Post #61
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,705
And so I think there was some interesting and novelty stuff in this round but it is nonetheless a pretty grisly bunch of finalists that will be flying the flag for the early decades of the charts. Will any of them stand a chance against the contenders that most of us actually remember from our lifetimes? Only time will tell.

Oh and we have lost the 1960s from the rate entirely. ohmy.gif Were there any other songs we missed nominating that would have made it? “Lovesick Blues” by Frank Ifield maybe? All in all I suspect it was genuinely quite a sparse decade for rubbish #1s.

The final so far:

1 Stargazers - I See the Moon (1954)
2 Pat Boone - I’ll Be Home (1956)
3 Clive Dunn - Grandad (1971)
4,Chuck Berry - My Ding-a-ling (1972)
5 Little Jimmy Osmond - Long Haired Lover From Liverpool (1972)
6 Ray Stevens - The Streak (1974)
7 Telly Savalas - If (1975)
8 Billy Connolly - D.I.V.O.R.C.E (1975)
9 JJ Barrie - No Charge (1976
10 Lena Martell - One Day at a Time (1979)

11 St Winifred’s School Choir - There’s No One Quite Like Grandma (1980j
12 Joe Dolce Music Theatre - Shaddup You Face (1981j
13 Renee and Renato - Save Your Love (1982)
14 USA for Africa - We Are the World (1985)
15 Spitting Image - The Chicken Song (1986)
16 Jive Bunny & the Mastermixers - Let’s Party (1989)
17 Bombalurina - Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini (1990)
18 Hale & Pace / The Stonkers - The Stonk (1991j
19 Come On You Reds - Manchester United Football Club (1994)
20 Unchained Melody - Robson & Jerome (1995)

21 Peter Andre - I Feel You (1996)
22 Teletubbies - Teletubbies Say “Eh-Oh!” (1997)
23 Cliff Richard - The Millennium Prayer (1999)
24 Five & Queen - We Will Rock You (2000)
25 Mariah Carey featuring Westlife - Against All Odds (2000)
26 Will Young & Gareth Gates - The Long And Winding Road (2002)
27 Sam & Mark - With A Little Help From My Friends (2004)
28 Frankee - F.U.R.B. (F**k You Right Back) (2004)
29 Crazy Frog - Axel F (2005)
30 Chico - It’s Chico Time (2006)

31-40 2007-2022 Heat Top Ten
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Oct 1 2022, 09:37 PM
Post #62
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
Come Outside should've definitely been in the top 10, I like the fact Pauline from Eastenders was on a number 1 single but that's it. Idk if you just had to be there, but a lot of these old "novelty" songs are just not funny and this is no exception, and that's not even mentioning how utterly creepy it is, 'hug and tickle' *winces*

A lot of the other similar horrors are rightfully in the top 10 though, most of the ones that missed out aren't offensive, just extremely forgotten (to the point I can barely remember them x)

+Quote this post
Brer
post Oct 2 2022, 12:55 AM
Post #63
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
Yeah 'Come Outside' does just seem like an even creepier 'Baby, It's Cold Outside', that definitely should have been in the top 10. Glad 'Whispering Grass' has indeed been spared though and the Ken Dodd song sounds fine (although I've always found Ken himself a little creepy, though less so when he wasn't 100 years old I guess). Certainly no real complaints at any of the songs that have advanced!

+Quote this post
Jade
post Oct 2 2022, 12:58 AM
Post #64
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
That is a truly terrible set of #1s advancing from this round clap.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Oct 2 2022, 08:58 AM
Post #65
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
QUOTE(Ghoul Jules @ Oct 1 2022, 10:15 PM) *
Ain’t right to wanna keep on dancing
There won’t be any time left for romancing!

12th: Mike Sarne and Wendy Richard - Come Outside

Average score: 13.90
Highest score:
24 Mack.
Lowest score:
2 DJ Cheeky Magpie

Number 1 for 2 weeks in June / July 1962, blocking “A Picture Of You” by Joe Brown. Unsurprisingly this was the only time “Eastenders” and “Are You Being Served?” actress Wendy Richard appeared in the charts, though Mike Sarne had a few other smaller follow up hits. A cover of “Come Outside” involving Frank Bruno, Sam Fox, Bruno Brookes and Liz Kershaw became the Children in Need single for 1991, as if having “The Stonk” that year wasn’t bad enough.

Congratulations to the male protagonist here who does indeed ultimately manage to lure his little doll outside. To me this is like a really terrible version of “Baby It’s Cold Outside”, already a slightly sinister record that I don’t care for much but “Come Outside” has even less musical appeal and is even more seedy. I know PCF will say it’s just good natured fun though!

Mike Sarne was 21, Wendy Richard 19 in 1962. Can't speak for anyone else but my mum was barely 19 and married when she had me and my dad was 20. People got married young in those days. A song about going outside a dancehall for a snog at that age isn't exactly a sin against society, so yes I will defend it when I listen to graphic depictions of sex and objectifying of women in the current charts (for the Chart Commentary, not personal choice!) That sort of thing was unthinkable in 1962 ohmy.gif ), it comes over as a bit reading too much into what was regarded as a mildly amusing mirror of society. Wendy Richard wasn't a helpless victim in anything, she said exactly what she thought and did what she wanted to do her whole life - just like the character in the song ohmy.gif

Pretty good result overall, though for the top 10 ! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
JulianT
post Oct 2 2022, 11:26 AM
Post #66
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,705
QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Oct 2 2022, 08:58 AM) *
Mike Sarne was 21, Wendy Richard 19 in 1962. Can't speak for anyone else but my mum was barely 19 and married when she had me and my dad was 20. People got married young in those days. A song about going outside a dancehall for a snog at that age isn't exactly a sin against society, so yes I will defend it when I listen to graphic depictions of sex and objectifying of women in the current charts (for the Chart Commentary, not personal choice!) That sort of thing was unthinkable in 1962 ohmy.gif ), it comes over as a bit reading too much into what was regarded as a mildly amusing mirror of society. Wendy Richard wasn't a helpless victim in anything, she said exactly what she thought and did what she wanted to do her whole life - just like the character in the song ohmy.gif

Pretty good result overall, though for the top 10 ! biggrin.gif

Haha don’t take me too seriously - just having a bit of fun with the commentary. Definitely not qualified to moralise about any of these tracks, but it’s sometimes tricky getting one’s head round some of this stuff even as an older millennial!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Oct 3 2022, 07:58 AM
Post #67
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Ghoul Jules @ Oct 2 2022, 12:26 PM) *
Haha don’t take me too seriously - just having a bit of fun with the commentary. Definitely not qualified to moralise about any of these tracks, but it’s sometimes tricky getting one’s head round some of this stuff even as an older millennial!

biggrin.gif

It just puzzled some of the comments seeing it as "bad" when according to the society of the time, working class kids/young adults lived with their parents, had to be home when the dance shut at 10 or 11, weren't allowed sex before marriage, got low-paid jobs soon as they left school at 15, weren't allowed in their bedrooms together unless they were engaged, there was nothing to do except go to the cinema or watch 2 channels on TV with your parents, and she'd clearly gone out on a date with her boyfriend and spent the evening ignoring him enjoying dancing and he just wanted a bit of kissy time together before he had to take her home. That was pretty much how things were then, which is why teens bought the record laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post Oct 3 2022, 12:37 PM
Post #68
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
I mean there's also that the vocals are awful on it regardless of how you feel about the lyrical content kink.gif

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Oct 3 2022, 01:22 PM
Post #69
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
I'm amazed 'Come Outside' didn't qualify for the final, it is beyond awful and seems quite seedy.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Oct 5 2022, 03:23 PM
Post #70
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(WaspBrë @ Oct 3 2022, 01:37 PM) *
I mean there's also that the vocals are awful on it regardless of how you feel about the lyrical content kink.gif

we clearly all have very different views on what constitutes awful vocals and awful songs...cough Blobby Blobby Blobby teresa.gif laugh.gif

and in other comments we have clearly different ideas on what constitutes seedy too, cough,

Nicki Minaj, wholesome feminista beloved of the BJ chart:

"I can lick it, I can ride it while you slippin' and slidin'
I can do all them little tricks and keep the dick up inside it
You can smack it, you can grip it, you can go down and kiss it
And every time he leave me ’lone, he always tell me he miss it"

There's another page full of much worse, but hey yeah a bit of "I'll slap n tickle you in a minute" is seedy in comparison to the innocent Tindr no-strings shags dick-pick sending social media available to the average late teen these days laugh.gif laugh.gif teresa.gif I didn't even know what a condom was until I was about 18 ohmy.gif OK I turned into a slag later in life and I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I'm just saying it's a thing nowadays and in 1962 it wasn't allowed in songs played by the stuffy BBC...

Next round! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:36 PM