BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Classic Cinema 1980-1989, Notable Movies
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Insomnio
post Feb 20 2016, 10:14 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742
80s is one of my favourite decades ever! So, I decided to make a topic about classic movies from that decade. My first movie will be "A Nightmare on Elm Street". I'm waiting for your favourite movies..

"A Nightmare on Elm Street" is the famous horror film that was released in the US in November 1984! Although I have seen many thrillers from the 80s, I never had the opportunity to watch this film that made one of the most frightening film stunts! Honestly, when I was kid, Freddy Krueger’s repulsive face always scared me when I would see his face on the cover of "A Nightmare on Elm Street" in the video store in my neighborhood. Of course, later in my teens and my student years, I had exactly the contrary reaction. Freddy looked more like a caricature, because we used to liken ugly people with him (no offence) and this childish behavior always provoked laughter from me. However, I saw the remake of the original film on the big screen over five years ago but I only remembered that Rooney Mara starred.
Despite this, one of the cinemas at the centre of my city showed the original film as part of a tribute that they had for Wes Craven during two days! The hall was certainly full of young people as I expected and my curiosity had reached its peak! While I was laughing with the evolution of the plot, I can say that "Nightmare on Elm Street" was a quite good horror movie. Do not forget that it was shot over 31 years ago and there were not the best visual effects in that period. With the exception, of course, the visual effects were used in some science fiction movies and adventures. However, Wes Craven created a great atmosphere and inspired one of the most "successful" serial killers! Freddy Krueger appears in the dreams of teenagers and he tries to kill them only in the length of their slumber, causing –of course- their death in the real world, too. It was a smart and innovative script idea for that time! Moreover, Wes Craven made sure to include funny scenes throughout the duration of the movie and some dialogues causing laughter on their own. The sound effects played a catalytic role in the overall result and the music of the film was fairly characteristic (overflowing 80s). The cutie Heather Langenkamp was the perfect choice for the lead role and the character that portrayed, Nancy Thompson were among the best I've seen in movies of this genre. The remaining performances were just nice while Johnny Depp embodied one of the main characters, making his film debut!
"A Nightmare on Elm Street" is considered one of the most representative films of its kind and it still remains a classic! It has millions of fans worldwide and is a benchmark in the circles of horror fans. "A Nightmare on Elm Street" cost only $1.8 million but it managed to collect more than $25 million dollars at the American Box Office, literally saving the film studio New Line Cinema from bankruptcy. It has assembled a very good rating by users of IMDb (7,5) and it has received positive reviews from the experts of the film industry. I cannot say that I was shocked by its content, but if I watched it in a very young age, surely Freddy would have haunted my childhood dreams.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post Apr 16 2016, 09:02 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742
"The Serpent and the Rainbow" is a horror film that was released in US cinemas in February 1988! It is based on the homonymous book of the ethnobotanist Wade Davis, following the inquiries he made regarding the voodoo religion in the area of Haiti. Wes Craven seemed to be delighted with Davis's book and he was the one who finally adapted it to the big screen! "The Serpent and the Rainbow" was screened as part of a tribute for Craven and the fact that it lasted only two days, I saw it immediately after "The Last House on the Left". Two movies in a row. This was expected to happen in my life after so many years and movies.
The central character of the story is Dennis Allan, an ethnobotanist-anthropologist, who works in a multinational pharmaceutical company. Allan was informed that in Haiti, there is a poison, which turns people into zombies, and therefore intends to use it as an anesthetic in very severe cases. So, it sends Dennis Allan to Port-au-Prince, which is the capital of Haiti – for those that are not familiar with this country- to find out about this poison. This poison is in the form of a powder and he has to bring a sample to the company for further investigations. However, the political disorder that is prevailing in the country at that time and the evil head of the local police will stand as obstacles to his plans. However, an ally, in the form of a seductive doctor Marielle, will be at his side and she seems to know some things more than him. "The Serpent and the Rainbow" is the 13th directorial work of Wes Craven, after well-known and successful horror films such as "The Last House on the Left", "The Hills Have Eyes" and "A Nightmare on Elm Street ". By observing his filmography, we can note that Craven was dealing with different themes each time. Although, all of his films are based on mystery and horror stories, they are quite different from each other and the "evil" is always displayed with another view. In this specific case, Craven gave emphasis on voodoo and zombies at that time, two issues which had concerned other directors previously. "The Serpent and the Rainbow" was good in general terms and the plot had intense and suspense. In addition, it had atmospheric directing, beautiful photography -it was helped by exotic landscapes of Haiti- and very good soundtrack. However, there were some script gaps, most performances were mediocre and indifferent and some scenes seemed completely false and tragic, especially in the end. Nevertheless, Bill Pulman was quite good in the protagonist role, although the character that he portrayed was somewhat reminiscent of Indiana Jones.
"The Serpent and the Rainbow" is based on an interesting script idea without of course scaring away the viewers. I couldn’t help but wonder how it is rank as a horror film. I do not think that it is one of the best films of Craven, but compared to other movies, it is clearly superior. It cost $7.000.0000 and received over $19 million, confirming that the audience followed Craven with anything that he tackled. Despite this, the film received mixed reviews from the experts in the film industry while it garnered a relatively modest rating by users of IMDb (6.5). I would mainly recommend it to fans of Craven but also to those who believe in voodoo and black magic in general. Away from us. tongue.gif

It has atmospheric music!

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:24 AM