BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Which singles do you think should have made the UK Top 10, out of their singles that only managed Top 20?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Mr.X
post 16th February 2021, 10:18 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight was actually quite a big gamble for Emma.

Prior to that, she had had a big hit with What Took You So Long? (though not so big in the UK that would warrant better sales, mind you...), the album itself and its second single weren't huge sellers. I think the record company wanted to do a Melanie C and release a dance remix of one of the album tracks, to provide a change of pace and maybe entice renewed interest in the album and her as a solo artist.

Unfortunately, it didn't catch on. The remix itself was good but to me it didn't particularly sound that amazing. Certainly it sounds a bit like a high quality remix you would tag inside a single's CD, not necessarily single material.

Plus, it was released around Christmas, which was a bit weird as it got swallowed up with other type of tracks. Remember Bunton saying that she wanted to 'do something diferent for teh Christmas market' or something like that.

It was just a bit odd to be honest. It didnt particularly work and the video, whilst great and high quality, seemed not very Emma Bunton. Personally never been a fan of the leather look on her... She looked *fine* in the Holler video but awkward in this.

They should have kept the original plan and release A World Without You for Christmas time, maybe with a Christmas remix instead.

With On The Horizon, I think again Virgin wanted something much more comercially friendly than Here It Comes Again as both that single and the album weren't exactly setting the charts and sales targets alight. But they went with the Paint-By-The-Numbers-New Radicals-wannabe track that a very recognisable hook.

It was a bit of a radio hit for her, but it did bugger all on sales, so it flopped. Plus, she absolutely hates the song and it was obviously not her decision to release it to save the album...

I'd say that both these songs kind of sealed their fate as solo pop starts in the UK as artists with the occasional well-known song rather than hit-making successes. Both of the songs were meant to save their fortunes and both turned out to be huge dissapointments, both artistically and commercially.

Yes, both Emma and Mel managed to somewhat turn it around a bit but since those singles, it has been quite a lot of unsuccessful releases with the occasional success story (Free Me and Melanie C, with a few singles each that cut through)

Sad times...
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 16th February 2021, 10:20 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

Was were not gonna sleep tonight released in December or did I make that up? It definitely feels more a summer song than winter which probably didn't help.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 16th February 2021, 10:23 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Jesus, I hadnt realised I wrote so much. Apologies in advance

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 16th February 2021, 10:27 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Feb 16 2021, 10:20 PM) *
Was were not gonna sleep tonight released in December or did I make that up? It definitely feels more a summer song than winter which probably didn't help.

Yep. Released on 10th December 2001 blink.gif Such an odd release...

I do wonder if Virgin just wanted to get rid of her so she was badly advised. It was quite obvious that Virgin didnt really care for Melanie C either during the Reason album, and Melanie B and Victoria had also vastly dissapointed too.

So Virgin was probably trying to get rid of the solo Spices by this point, or simply they didnt care much and were just a bit 'meh' about them as soon as they started to undeliver unsure.gif

After such a busy two year punch in solo releases like 2000-2001, to see it all dwindle so much in terms of sales, was probably what drove Virgin away from them as solo artists...

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 16th February 2021, 11:03 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

You'd think at least an early January release for 'sleep tonight' would have given it a decent peak when sales were always low.

I'd have had Emma on TV shows signing A world without you over xmas or released that on December 10th to fit in with winter time.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 16th February 2021, 11:31 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

I always thought the girls getting dropped over Gold album sales was grossly unfair when lots of other artists released Gold albums and kept their contracts. Both Emma and Melanie C should have been given another album out of Virgin but just with reduced budgets for recording the following time round. Then again I'm glad they didn't because it resulted in Free Me and Beautiful Intentions.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 16th February 2021, 11:54 PM
Post #27
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

#14 - Melanie C - On the Horizon
#14 - Melanie C - Loving You

These two definitely should have done! I remember thinking 'Loving You' was guaranteed to go top 10 based on the pre-orders. sad.gif

I enjoy 'We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight', but I'm not sure I'm bothered enough about it not making the top 10 and 'Headlice' definitely got what it deserved!

+Quote this post
Sideout
post 17th February 2021, 02:10 AM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 113,700

By the end of 2001 the girls were underperforming. Their singles were not selling over 100,000 copies. Their albums were not selling past 150,000 copies. It's not surprising Virgin Records were done with the girls in 2002. Melanie C has gone on record saying the record label didn't really care about her anymore during the Reason era due to new people in charge at Virgin Records.

The girls and the record label made terrible single choices in 2001, but I don't know if better single choices would have prevented general audiences from solo spice apathy.

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 17th February 2021, 06:29 AM
Post #29
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104

"We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight" is wonderful, from the rest I will say "If That Were Me" and "On The Horizon" - two best Mel C singles.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 17th February 2021, 09:15 AM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Feb 17 2021, 12:03 AM) *
You'd think at least an early January release for 'sleep tonight' would have given it a decent peak when sales were always low.

I don't get the strategy of putting We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight in the Christmas market either - I get that there was already a big gap between Take My Breath Away and We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight, but but I doubt it would've hurt much to put it out three weeks later plus airplay and promotion still would've happened during the Christmas period, so hopefully grabbing some Christmas sales for the album. Add that the remix (if it had been better tbh teresa.gif) might've been played at Christmas + New Years parties/clubs and garnered more attention.

But I think it's a classic case of that they already had decided to drop her at that point anyway and they were just putting it out as a courtesy to show that they tried.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 17th February 2021, 10:32 AM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

For me Sunshine on a rainy day was an obvious 3rd single. It had easy breezy top 5 written all over it and I could see radios eating it up as its just such an easy listen.

Ideally have it out in November, then over xmas do some promo with A world without you and a tour announcement for for summer 2002. 1 more single March time and I'm sure the album would have done 200k+ minimum.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 17th February 2021, 10:36 AM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I am not here for the Sunshine on a Rainy Day as a third single.
It was too similar to Take My Breath Away and What Took You So Long, so I can understand how they felt like they needed a change of pace.

The original plan was to do A World Without You on the lead up to Christmas, which sounds much better as a plan. Then maybe release Sunshine on a Rainy Day in early 2002 and if things were successful, go into a festival/theatre tour in Summer together with another single maybe as a feature with another artist or something.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 18th February 2021, 02:42 AM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Loving you and lullaby are 2 big faves of mine.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 18th February 2021, 03:34 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Lullaby got what it deserved tbh.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 18th February 2021, 03:56 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

Lullaby is a perfect example of a stupid make-or-break single - it was clear at that point that they were only releasing further singles because Feels So Good charted in the top five. And then they release Lullaby? Perfect way to discourage the label to not release anything else.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 18th February 2021, 04:44 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(tommie @ Feb 18 2021, 03:56 PM) *
Lullaby is a perfect example of a stupid make-or-break single - it was clear at that point that they were only releasing further singles because Feels So Good charted in the top five. And then they release Lullaby? Perfect way to discourage the label to not release anything else.

Why they didn't do Hotter I'll never know!?!?!?

+Quote this post
vibe
post 19th February 2021, 09:32 AM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

Mel wanted Lullaby.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 19th February 2021, 03:31 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(vibe @ Feb 19 2021, 09:32 AM) *
Mel wanted Lullaby.

Well Mel was stupid wasn’t she! I get the attachment to the song and I genuinely don’t think it’s anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be, however it is a final single at best not a make or break single! Out of all of them I’m not surprised Mel was the first to lose her recording contract, she openly admitted she refused to listen to advice and pushed ahead with tell me as the first single over feels so good and wouldn’t wait until after Xmas to release the album after Forever I bet they couldn’t wait to let her go.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 20th February 2021, 07:22 AM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

I always thought the record company pushed for tell me.

Mel did not listen about the album release date.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 20th February 2021, 10:57 AM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(vibe @ Feb 20 2021, 07:22 AM) *
I always thought the record company pushed for tell me.

Mel did not listen about the album release date.

Nope they wanted FSG to launch the album as they thought Tell Me could attract negative attention but Mel insisted of leading with that.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 09:36 AM