BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
32 Pages V  « < 26 27 28 29 30 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> By-elections 2024, New parliament, new thread
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Rooney
post 20th October 2023, 07:52 PM
Post #541
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(Smint @ Oct 20 2023, 05:54 PM) *
So Rishi Sunak's 'Destroy the Environment and Trans people' policy emphasis going well then isn't it...

Reading a few of the "pollsters" it seems the "anyone but the Tories" voting is really strong, which bodes well for a general election and how people vote. Might even be likely a few people who voted Conservative in 2019 will vote Reform in a General Election. I suspect the polls will begin to narrow over the next 12 months, but don't think that's going to be a cause for concern.. really looks like Labour are in a strong position here, which I suspect is what the likes of Truss/Patel etc. see and are probably plotting which single issue to make the 2029 general election about.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 20th October 2023, 08:25 PM
Post #542
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(Rooney @ Oct 20 2023, 08:52 PM) *
Reading a few of the "pollsters" it seems the "anyone but the Tories" voting is really strong, which bodes well for a general election and how people vote. Might even be likely a few people who voted Conservative in 2019 will vote Reform in a General Election. I suspect the polls will begin to narrow over the next 12 months, but don't think that's going to be a cause for concern.. really looks like Labour are in a strong position here, which I suspect is what the likes of Truss/Patel etc. see and are probably plotting which single issue to make the 2029 general election about.

The Tories will campaign to abandon the "woke nonsense" that left-handed people should have the same rights as right-handed people.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 19th December 2023, 08:28 PM
Post #543
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

QUOTE(Smint @ Oct 17 2023, 03:11 PM) *
Peter Bone - a repellent hard right sexist ultra Brexiter with no redeeming qualities whatsoever, Tory MP for Wellingborough has had the whip withdrawn by his party following the publication of a report from the independent expert panel yesterday saying he should be suspended from the Commons for six weeks for bullying and sexual misconduct. So yet ANOTHER by election on the cards. A huge majority of 18540 at the last General Election but should be easily beatable considering the unpopularity of the Government and possibly Tactical voting. Guess we'll see the result of the Bedfordshire election on Thursday as whether this works out effectively in ditching the Tory.

Peter Bone recalled - By-Election expected in February 2024:

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 19th December 2023, 09:00 PM
Post #544
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Begone, vile man!

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 19th December 2023, 09:34 PM
Post #545
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

So, farewell then Peter Boner(head). You shouted a lot but achieved nothing worthwhile.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 28th December 2023, 11:03 PM
Post #546
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

An 18k majority is well within reach on the current swing!

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 5th January 2024, 06:09 PM
Post #547
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Yet another unwanted by-election.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67895246

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 5th January 2024, 06:15 PM
Post #548
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

A rare Tory MP with a moral compass, who knew they were still there!

+Quote this post
Jester
post 5th January 2024, 08:49 PM
Post #549
Group icon
Right in front of my salad?!
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12

This is/was my MP - my first ever by-election!

Annoyingly, this will be 2 elections for me then this year, the second with a boundary change as Kingswood is disappearing as a constituency at the next general election (and I will fall under Rees-Moggs current expanded constituency.

Interesting times!

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 7th January 2024, 08:56 PM
Post #550
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

The person selected by the Tories to defend Peter Bone’s seat is his partner. Note that his partner isn’t the Mrs Bone he used to refer to so regularly. He dumped her.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 7th January 2024, 09:12 PM
Post #551
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 124,514

You couldn't make it up. Are they determined to lose by a landslide?

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 8th January 2024, 11:46 PM
Post #552
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Aaaaaand another one: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/polit...e-b2475069.html

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 5th February 2024, 05:46 PM
Post #553
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

The Rochdale by-election is set for February 29th, the full list of candidates is below. Whilst in normal circumstances this would be a straight Labour win, there are a number of curveballs that could tip the scales a different way. George Galloway is running for the Workers Party (even though he seems to be only worker standing for the party, although the Derby North badman is also a member). He tends to show up at by-elections in areas where he thinks he can drum up the Muslim vote (Batley & Spen, Bradford West) . I'm presuming he's going full in on an anti-Israel campaign.

Also standing is Simon Danczuk, who was the MP here between 2010 and 2017. Interestingly, he is standing for Reform UK. Those of us with a long memory and far too much interest in politics will recall that back when there were rumours of defections to Ukip, he was the sole Labour MP who was tipped to flip over, and after many years in the wilderness he's now joined their successor party. When he stood as an independent in 2017 after being kicked out of Labour he won 1.8% of the vote, so whilst I don't expect him to win, he could end up being a spoiler in a potential 3-way between Labour, Conservative and Galloway.

Labour - Azhar Ali
no description - Mark Coleman
Reform UK - Simon Danczuk
Liberal Democrats - Iain Donaldson
Conservative - Paul Ellison
Workers Party - George Galloway
no description - Michael Howarth
Independent - William Howarth
Green - Guy Otten
Monster Raving Loony - Ravin Subortna
Independent - David Sully

There are also two Tory defences on February 15th, both of which Labour will hope to make gains in.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 5th February 2024, 10:34 PM
Post #554
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

I remember he won in both Tower Halmets and then Bradford West. Who knows if he can do so again? He like Chris Williamson has some really bad positions (pro-Putin, sexist and in his case pro Brexit) but I do admire him for being pro Palestine when most MPs can hardly muster up the courage. Simon Danczuk is a bit of a creep all around and doubt that Reform UK will do that well to be honest. I'm predicting a Labour win with Galloway running them close.

+Quote this post
Hugh Janus
post 5th February 2024, 11:50 PM
Post #555
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

George Galloway is a flop these days. He won't win or come close.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 12th February 2024, 07:28 PM
Post #556
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

So, so far in the Rochdale by-election -

- Labour's candidate has been forced to apologise for spreading anti-Semitic conspiracy theories, yet Labour are still standing behind him following an apology. I have seen some people commenting that Diane Abbot had the whip suspended for less offensive remarks, however I will leave the judging to others.
- The Green's candidate, who is a Humanist activist, will no longer be campaigning after anti-Muslim tweets from 10 years ago resurfaced.
- George Galloway has been endorsed by far-right ex-BNP member Nick Griffin.

It's a real poo-nami. Suddenly the 50-1 odds on the Tories in this seat is looking like a decent shout.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 12th February 2024, 07:59 PM
Post #557
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens

...and literally after I typed that, Labour has now withdrawn support for Azhar Ali in the Rochdale by-election, which means that if he ends up winning, he will sit as an independent MP. He will still be listed on the ballot as the Labour candidate, just like the Green candidate.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 12th February 2024, 10:40 PM
Post #558
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Definitely worse than what Abbott said IMO, what she did was a misguided and badly worded attempt to talk about systemic racism versus this, which effectively amounted to conspiracy theory posting as a main party candidate. I saw quite a lot of speculation that the only reason support wasn't withdrawn from him was that he was originally a Labour right candidate and favoured by the leadership, which is embarassing.

Really tough one to work out based on all of that. Given that it's such a strong Labour area I suspect that Ali will win it in the end but it might just end up being anyone's race with Reform having the former MP there, Lib Dems having history in the seat and Galloway doing the thing he normally does - and one might even hope for the Tory candidate in case it gives Sunak and CCHQ enough deluded optimism to head to the polls in May.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 12th February 2024, 10:59 PM
Post #559
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

I dont trust a thing thar Netanyahu and Israel say, and FWIW I think there may be some truth to Israel deliberately letting 7/10 happen. He wants a Palestine ruled by Hamas and a justificarion to carry out their ethnic cleansing/territorial expansion.

But yes Ali can't be the Labour candidate, especially as Kate Osamor, Abbot and of course Corbyn lost the whip for far far less. Maybe this will go to George Galloway and maybe not a bad thing to have a pro Palestine winner, despite his other failings. Makes a change to.the hideous pro Israeli bias everywhere else.

This post has been edited by Smint: 12th February 2024, 11:00 PM

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 13th February 2024, 12:51 AM
Post #560
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(Smint @ Feb 12 2024, 10:59 PM) *
I dont trust a thing thar Netanyahu and Israel say, and FWIW I think there may be some truth to Israel deliberately letting 7/10 happen. He wants a Palestine ruled by Hamas and a justificarion to carry out their ethnic cleansing/territorial expansion.

But yes Ali can't be the Labour candidate, especially as Kate Osamor, Abbot and of course Corbyn lost the whip for far far less. Maybe this will go to George Galloway and maybe not a bad thing to have a pro Palestine winner, despite his other failings. Makes a change to.the hideous pro Israeli bias everywhere else.

George Galloway would be absolutely horrendous. He's a horrible man, stirs up cultual and racial hatred everywhere he goes. What exactly will he do for the people of Rochdale?

+Quote this post

32 Pages V  « < 26 27 28 29 30 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 19th June 2024, 01:57 PM