BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
32 Pages V  « < 27 28 29 30 31 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> By-elections 2024, New parliament, new thread
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Smint
post 13th February 2024, 11:20 AM
Post #561
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 124,514

If he was elected, he would be following the wishes of the electors who think that the current UK support of Israel's actions in Palestine are catastrophically wrong and need to stop. A position hardly voiced openly in the House of Commons today.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 13th February 2024, 08:16 PM
Post #562
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(Smint @ Feb 13 2024, 11:20 AM) *
If he was elected, he would be following the wishes of the electors who think that the current UK support of Israel's actions in Palestine are catastrophically wrong and need to stop. A position hardly voiced openly in the House of Commons today.

The man is an absolute tit. His entire ticket is based on a war that nobody in power cares what we think or have any influence. Or that's even without his past history, morals & views. He's the elft-wing version of Farage. The people of Rochdale deserve better.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 13th February 2024, 09:26 PM
Post #563
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

That’s the point he would make a point to the entire commons if he came back due to this issue which is important in the constituency.
At any rate without the media complaints he would have kept his position as candidate as opposed to the likes of Abbott who the leadership was waiting to get rid of her!

This post has been edited by Steve201: 13th February 2024, 09:30 PM

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 13th February 2024, 09:38 PM
Post #564
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(Steve201 @ Feb 13 2024, 09:26 PM) *
That’s the point he would make a point to the entire commons if he came back due to this issue which is important in the constituency.
At any rate without the media complaints he would have kept his position as candidate as opposed to the likes of Abbott who the leadership was waiting to get rid of her!

I genuinely can't believe people are blinded by one singular issue and they think George Galloway is the answer. He's a prized arse tit.

+Quote this post
Hugh Janus
post 13th February 2024, 10:49 PM
Post #565
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

QUOTE(Rooney @ Feb 13 2024, 12:51 AM) *
George Galloway would be absolutely horrendous. He's a horrible man, stirs up cultual and racial hatred everywhere he goes. What exactly will he do for the people of Rochdale?

100% this

He's VILE

+Quote this post
Hugh Janus
post 13th February 2024, 10:50 PM
Post #566
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

QUOTE(Rooney @ Feb 13 2024, 09:38 PM) *
I genuinely can't believe people are blinded by one singular issue and they think George Galloway is the answer. He's a prized arse tit.

Boom!! He is nevet, ever, ever the answer to any question, except: give an example of a failure of democracy. Answer - him ever gettin ekectes to anythin

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 14th February 2024, 07:12 PM
Post #567
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

QUOTE(Rooney @ Feb 13 2024, 09:38 PM) *

I didn’t say he wasn’t but the nature of democracy in Britain means you have to make a stand sometimes in by elections!

+Quote this post
Hugh Janus
post 14th February 2024, 07:17 PM
Post #568
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

Not with f***in George Galloway!!! There's veeery little we can do to ge tthe elite to listen to us in our country, let alone in another! and botin for George Gallaway will not sway aaanyone in power. It makes no sense ro elect that extremist pos.

+Quote this post
Jester
post 15th February 2024, 05:46 PM
Post #569
Group icon
Right in front of my salad?!
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12

The by election where I live today (Kingswood) seems quite orderly in comparison….

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 15th February 2024, 05:54 PM
Post #570
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

My by-election (Wellingborough) had the in person votes today so should get a result tomorrow

Think people are expecting Labour to overturn quite a bit Tory majority

I’m most looking forward to no more knocks on the door / leaflets through the post! (One of the knocks was from the sacked Tory MP, supporting the new Tory candidate, his girlfriend)

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 15th February 2024, 09:01 PM
Post #571
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Interesting that we have representatives for both of the by-elections today!

They both seem like bellwether seats that having had a Tory through their period of dominance will swing back to Labour (both would easily fall in the recent seat projections), but that said it's not nailed in and both Tories do have a large majority and it's been a bit of a mixed bag in terms of the recent political coverage between the two big parties.

It has been super quiet about these elections on the whole though - I suspect everyone's really gearing up their political analysis nous for the Rochdale shitshow in a couple of weeks.

Galloway obviously comes with a lot of baggage and he's a bit of an idiot to say the least, but I'd actually welcome him winning at the present moment as his angle will be (for the present political microcosm) to be a prominent pro-Palestine voice until he's inevitably booted out at the general - the Tories having Farage hanging about never winning an election didn't do them any harm - and it'd probably be better news for Labour than their candidate winning at this point.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 15th February 2024, 09:59 PM
Post #572
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(Herbs @ Feb 15 2024, 05:54 PM) *
My by-election (Wellingborough) had the in person votes today so should get a result tomorrow

Think people are expecting Labour to overturn quite a bit Tory majority

I’m most looking forward to no more knocks on the door / leaflets through the post! (One of the knocks was from the sacked Tory MP, supporting the new Tory candidate, his girlfriend)

You should have asked him why he dumped Mrs Bone(head) after so many years of mentioning her in the Commons at every opportunity.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 15th February 2024, 10:16 PM
Post #573
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Feb 15 2024, 09:59 PM) *
You should have asked him why he dumped Mrs Bone(head) after so many years of mentioning her in the Commons at every opportunity.

A strange fact I learned this evening - the former Mrs Bone signed the Tory candidate’s nomination papers. Rather awkward.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 16th February 2024, 08:28 AM
Post #574
Group icon
The light will cast me aside
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Labour take Kingswood and Wellingborough!

I actually voted for the latter MP Gen Kitchen in 2019 when she was the Labour candidate for my constituency, but was beaten by Andrea Leadsom that year lol

+Quote this post
Jester
post 16th February 2024, 08:40 AM
Post #575
Group icon
Right in front of my salad?!
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12

Great to see Labour take Kingswood!

Less great to see Rees Mogg slithering around after, brown nosing the Reform candidate. JRM could be my MP the next General Election due to the boundary changes sad.gif

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 16th February 2024, 09:16 AM
Post #576
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Nearly every Tory could be in danger in the election so it will be very interesting to see how it pans out!

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 16th February 2024, 09:43 AM
Post #577
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Feb 15 2024, 10:16 PM) *
A strange fact I learned this evening - the former Mrs Bone signed the Tory candidate’s nomination papers. Rather awkward.

Yeah I just laughed when I heard that. A thrupple maybe?!

I googled his voting history when I moved here and more than anything was appalled by his voting record on things like human rights. He was a Boris worshipper through and through

There’s been a few posts on my local page about the result. The standard Tory supporter response is ‘she won’t do anything…..’

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 16th February 2024, 10:01 AM
Post #578
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(Iz 🧊 @ Feb 15 2024, 09:01 PM) *
Interesting that we have representatives for both of the by-elections today!

They both seem like bellwether seats that having had a Tory through their period of dominance will swing back to Labour (both would easily fall in the recent seat projections), but that said it's not nailed in and both Tories do have a large majority and it's been a bit of a mixed bag in terms of the recent political coverage between the two big parties.

It has been super quiet about these elections on the whole though - I suspect everyone's really gearing up their political analysis nous for the Rochdale shitshow in a couple of weeks.

Galloway obviously comes with a lot of baggage and he's a bit of an idiot to say the least, but I'd actually welcome him winning at the present moment as his angle will be (for the present political microcosm) to be a prominent pro-Palestine voice until he's inevitably booted out at the general - the Tories having Farage hanging about never winning an election didn't do them any harm - and it'd probably be better news for Labour than their candidate winning at this point.

I can't ever agree with that last part Iz and it shows a naivety from some people whose opinions I respect (and often disagree with!) about a global issue. Galloway is not a great man, has a checkered past, has some horrific views on multiple issues and I'd wager very few people have ever stepped foot in Rochdale before? There's already a quite big racial/multi-cultural problem there. The town needs a place where someone can harmonise relationships instead of someone who will gaslight racial tensions.

Anyway on a different note, some major positives for Labour. Really does feel like a Government in waiting now and Sunak is between a rock and a hard place over which direction the Tories need to go.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 16th February 2024, 09:00 PM
Post #579
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Definitely great results for the by-elections, you apply that sort of turnout to a general and it's crushing - even though that won't be replicated all the political trends point towards the Labour landslide being real.

QUOTE(Rooney @ Feb 16 2024, 10:01 AM) *
I can't ever agree with that last part Iz and it shows a naivety from some people whose opinions I respect (and often disagree with!) about a global issue. Galloway is not a great man, has a checkered past, has some horrific views on multiple issues and I'd wager very few people have ever stepped foot in Rochdale before? There's already a quite big racial/multi-cultural problem there. The town needs a place where someone can harmonise relationships instead of someone who will gaslight racial tensions.

Anyway on a different note, some major positives for Labour. Really does feel like a Government in waiting now and Sunak is between a rock and a hard place over which direction the Tories need to go.

At this point with Rochdale it seems like you have the Tory winning (only positive is tiny potential for a slightly earlier general), or Labour (not good for Labour because of recent news cycle), or Reform (not good on any level) or Galloway (he gets a bit more coverage of him being a pompous gadfly, maybe encourages Starmer to look to his left). No chance of him sparking a wider movement as his politics since leaving Labour has been a narcissistic personal vehicle at best and a paid shill of hostile governments at worst.

Locally I don't know that the incoming MP will have time to do much about the local area. Like, don't get me wrong, I don't like him, but if I did live in Rochdale and was faced with that ballot paper, with the Lib Dems seemingly nowhere and the Greens disowning their candidate, I can see arguments for voting for him - thankfully I don't have to make that decision.

I don't know, I go back and forth on him; he's far from being a complete net negative on politics - this is a man who spoke out against the Iraq war as it happened and yet he also is a real political embodiment of the very annoying staunch anti-imperialist whose sole guiding philosophy is Western diabolism. Which is fine for me, the more nuanced my thoughts are on a politician the better.

It does seem like Labour has actually woken up in recent weeks that being carefully pro-Palestine isn't a vote loser (due to most moral but otherwise unaffected people not liking the news reports about dead children) and I think encouraging them to continue down that path by seeing that they are in danger from their left (ideally with Greens rather with Galloway) is probably a good thing long term.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 16th February 2024, 10:23 PM
Post #580
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

The Lib Dems have won Rochdale several times in my political lifetime with three different MPs. If they had decided to make an effort at least to get a respectable result when the vacancy arose, they might have had an outside chance of winning. However .even the candidate himself has accepted that it is too late now and has encouraged campaigners to continue to concentrate on target seats.

+Quote this post

32 Pages V  « < 27 28 29 30 31 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 18th June 2024, 06:06 PM