BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Boris Johnson announces he's running for MP next year
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Qassändra
post 6th August 2014, 10:14 AM
Post #1
Group icon
DROTTNING!
User: 480

QUOTE(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28673113)
Boris Johnson has ended months of speculation by saying he will "in all probability" seek to become an MP again at next year's general election.

The Conservative said he would also serve out the remainder of his term as London mayor, due to end in 2016.

Prime Minister David Cameron has previously said he would welcome a return to the Commons by Mr Johnson, who stood down as an MP in 2008.

He has been linked with the London seat of Uxbridge and South Ruislip.

The mayor said he was not necessarily seeking the Conservative nomination in that constituency, but he wanted to stop uncertainty about his intentions.

'Give it a crack'
There has long been speculation that Mr Johnson will seek a return to Parliament so that he can mount a bid for the Conservative leadership when David Cameron stands down.

The mayor was giving speech on his EU policy when he confirmed his intentions, in response to a question from a journalist.

He told an audience at the Bloomberg headquarters that he had "danced around" the issue "for an awfully long time", adding: "I can't endlessly go on dodging these questions."

"So let me put it this way. I haven't got any particular seat lined up but I do think in all probability I will try to find somewhere to stand in 2015.

"It may all go wrong but I think the likelihood is I am going to have to give it a crack."

Asked if his target seat would be within the M25 or in the north of England, he said: "This is a matter for the (local Conservative) association. I am not going to presume to talk about which seat I might go for."

'Surprised'
His announcement came at the end of a speech in which he said the UK should not be "afraid" of leaving the European Union if Mr Cameron fails to win a substantial renegotiation of the relationship with Brussels.

In March, the prime minister told the Sun newspaper he wanted Mr Johnson back in Parliament by 2015, comparing him to a "great striker you want on the pitch".

There is nothing to stop Mr Johnson serving out his term as mayor, which ends in May 2016, while also being an MP. His predecessor, Labour's Ken Livingstone, combined both roles for a year.

Mr Johnson, who served as MP for Henley from 2001 to 2008, was a Conservative education and culture spokesman before running for the mayoralty.

John Howell, who replaced Mr Johnson as MP for Henley, told BBC Radio Berkshire: "I'm just glad he's made up his mind. It did nobody any good when he was just sitting on the fence.

"I'm quite surprised. I thought he would see out a third time as London Mayor. He's done a very good job as mayor. There's no taking away from that and I was expecting him to stay on."

UGH
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
April
post 6th August 2014, 10:18 AM
Post #2
Group icon
changed the game with that digital drop
User: 11,905

Clearly preparing himself to replace Cameron when the Tories lose next year, and therefore possibly become PM in 2020!

Boris is what the government needs, imo. A likeable, charismatic individual who appeals to voters.

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 6th August 2014, 10:41 AM
Post #3
Group icon
DROTTNING!

I'm sure he's what the GOVERNMENT needs, as for the rest of us though...

+Quote this post
richie
post 6th August 2014, 10:56 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166

This is the start of the end! Boris has fooled everyone into believing he's a loveable buffoon, but just watch....

I was swayed back into a "don't know" for the referendum by yesterday's pretty awful debate showing by Salmond, but this news pushes me closer back to "yes" again.

+Quote this post
April
post 6th August 2014, 01:37 PM
Post #5
Group icon
changed the game with that digital drop
User: 11,905

QUOTE(richie @ Aug 6 2014, 11:56 AM) *
This is the start of the end! Boris has fooled everyone into believing he's a loveable buffoon, but just watch....

I was swayed back into a "don't know" for the referendum by yesterday's pretty awful debate showing by Salmond, but this news pushes me closer back to "yes" again.

Why? What do you think loveable little Boris is capable of?

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 6th August 2014, 02:13 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

Johnson would be even more right wing and driven by his City pals than Cameron.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 6th August 2014, 05:22 PM
Post #7
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Boris is even more in the pockets of the rich bankers, and billionaire tyrant Murdoch than Osborne and Cameron. I actually feel a bit sick. sad.gif

+Quote this post
Silas
post 6th August 2014, 05:26 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

BRB going to start campaigning for Independence...

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 6th August 2014, 07:05 PM
Post #9
Group icon
DROTTNING!

QUOTE(Silas @ Aug 6 2014, 06:26 PM) *
BRB going to start campaigning for Independence...

Don't you DARE offload him on the rest of us!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 6th August 2014, 09:35 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Run For The Hills.

I blame Have I Got News For You letting the "loveable" bumbling buffoon appear so family-friendly. Before that he just seemed like a scatter-brained d*ck. I say stick him in a sitcom and leave him there....

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 7th August 2014, 10:48 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53

Fantastic news. Boris would make a superb future Prime Minister. Would he be certain to get the Tory Leadership though, having just been elected an MP, if as seems likely the Tories lose and Cameron resigns? I'm sure Theresa May would stand and maybe Gove and Osborne.

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 7th August 2014, 11:07 AM
Post #12
Group icon
DROTTNING!

Gove wouldn't stand. He's running Osborne's campaign.

What do you think the job of Prime Minister involves Chris?

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 7th August 2014, 11:26 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

oh he's definitely preparing for a Conservative election defeat, a Cameron resignation and a leadership election he'd be popular fave to win. Guess that means he has no faith in a Tory landslide next year.

I'm sure he'd be the equal of a George Bush or Forrest Gump though.

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: 7th August 2014, 11:27 AM

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 7th August 2014, 12:54 PM
Post #14
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596

I can't see Osborne winning a contest that takes place after he's just been booted out as Chancellor. The only way I can see him becoming PM is if the maths is right for another coalition and Cameron stands down.

Couldn't call a Johnson v May contest though. Think Ed would have less to fear in the long term from Boris but he'd probably give them a bit of a short term poll bounce.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 7th August 2014, 04:10 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Cassandra @ Aug 7 2014, 12:07 PM) *
Gove wouldn't stand. He's running Osborne's campaign.

What do you think the job of Prime Minister involves Chris?

Well I doubt anyone who hasn't done it really knows! Running the country, deciding policy with Cabinet colleagues and endless meetings and representing the UK on the world stage. Boris would be well up to that and do a great job imo. The buffoon image he has created is all an act and he's really a very serious clever ambitious man. Could do with a haircut though!

This post has been edited by Common Sense: 7th August 2014, 04:17 PM

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 7th August 2014, 04:15 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Aug 7 2014, 12:26 PM) *
. Guess that means he has no faith in a Tory landslide next year.

Has anyone? Admittedly no-one knows an election result beforehand but several poll analysts, very astute men and women, think that's very unlikely. Best they can hope for is to be largest party and with the consistent, admittedly small, poll leads that labour have that seems unlikely too. I'm going for a small labour majority despite Ed.

This post has been edited by Common Sense: 7th August 2014, 04:18 PM

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 7th August 2014, 05:13 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Common Sense @ Aug 7 2014, 05:10 PM) *
Well I doubt anyone who hasn't done it really knows! Running the country, deciding policy with Cabinet colleagues and endless meetings and representing the UK on the world stage. Boris would be well up to that and do a great job imo. The buffoon image he has created is all an act and he's really a very serious clever ambitious man. Could do with a haircut though!

And his achievements as London Mayor? They can be counted on the fingers of one foot.

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 7th August 2014, 06:20 PM
Post #18
Group icon
DROTTNING!

QUOTE(¿ REY CARLOS ? @ Aug 7 2014, 01:54 PM) *
I can't see Osborne winning a contest that takes place after he's just been booted out as Chancellor. The only way I can see him becoming PM is if the maths is right for another coalition and Cameron stands down.

Couldn't call a Johnson v May contest though. Think Ed would have less to fear in the long term from Boris but he'd probably give them a bit of a short term poll bounce.

Because of the way the Tory elections work, I could see Osborne winning if Gove manages to make the most of the Chief Whip position to get Gideon as one of the top two and if May edges out Boris to become the other. I could see members going either way in that case.

If it's Osborne vs Boris there's no question the members would go for Boris.

QUOTE(Common Sense @ Aug 7 2014, 05:10 PM) *

What exactly has he done for London in the six years he's had the job?

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 7th August 2014, 07:26 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

There are a lot of MPs who dislike Johnson. They may well try and vote in a way that ensures he doesn't get to the final stage.

+Quote this post
NellyEverySundae
post 7th August 2014, 09:34 PM
Post #20
Group icon
#TeamKrustyKrab
User: 20,675

Yay nocheer.gif

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >