BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Ultimate Kylie Minogue - Rate Results, Full Results announced on Page 9
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post 13th December 2014, 01:20 AM
Post #41
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Hit or Miss the choice is yours

#09 Kylie Minogue // 1994 // Avg: 7.304 (10: Regina), (9: Mango, Mr Aly, Luciano, OceanBlue), (3:fgi090905)

At #9 in our countdown is her fifth studio album simply titled "Kylie Minogue", released in October 1994 and coming 3 years after her last album and also marked a completely different sound and style to anything she's ever done before, breaking free of the shackles of PWL and signing to DeConstruction records, therefore marking a new era and the second chapter of her career.

This was when Kylie really changed people's perception, taking a more simplistic approach to her sound, taking away the heavy make up and short dresses, and doning glasses and a suit in an attempt to be taken more seriously, which she pulls off, and while it may not be to everyone's tastes, as hardcore fans of her 80's pop stuff may find this too different, but still marks an important step in her career and it does work for the most part and true Kylie fans will take this to their hearts and fully appreciate it for what it is and what's she's trying to achieve.

You can really tell that you're in for something totally different with it's opening track Confide In Me which firstly is the start of what's to come, taking a huge risk that pays off, in the dance ballad with a more relaxed sound and breathy seductive vocals, which in turn is definitely her most interesting sound yet and pulled of to perfection and especially in it's full album version. Surrender picks up where "CIM" left off, again another stunning number and shows hints of R&B. The more upbeat numbers If I Was Your Lover which has a more urban and R&B flavour to it and again another highlight on this album, and Automatic Love which is quite soulful and has a beautiful melody. Another successful sound that Kylie pulls off is Adult contemporary on Put Yourself In My Place which every Kylie fan should know and love, so stunning and beautiful. Also Acid Jazz on Where Is The Feeling which is okay, but a bit overlong. The album closer was produced by 90's Dance act M People and really glimmers their funk sound. There are no really terrible tracks on this album, with only maybe 3 weaker tracks, but 7 corkers and will forever remain a very important album in her discography.

This post has been edited by Acidburn: 16th December 2014, 02:29 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Regina
post 13th December 2014, 10:24 AM
Post #42
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

WAY TOO LOW. One of her very best albums.

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 13th December 2014, 06:26 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031

The albums are pretty much in the order I would have ranked them so far with the exception of body language which I would have put higher.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 13th December 2014, 10:53 PM
Post #44
Group icon

Don't wait for tomorrow when you should be living today

#08 Enjoy Yourself // 1989 // Avg: 7.543 (10: Acidburn, fgi090905, Jester, bartsimpson), (3:مدهش* )

Here's another album, as we now are half way through the singles countdown, and the fifth album to bow out is "Enjoy Yourself", which was released in October 1989 and followed in the footsteps of her massive debut "Kylie" which was released a year before. This proved that she wasn't just a flash in the pan or a flash in the pan and this continued her reign of success. While not being quite as strong as her debut, there were definite signs of maturity and more variety as she incorporates house music and disco into this album.

A common trait throughout Kylie's career starting the album with a lead single Hand On Your Heart which is bright, fun and cheery and basically PWL as it's finest. Wouldn't Change A Thing shows a sign of maturity but none the less still pure pop and then flowing perfectly with tracks 1 and 2 is Never Too Late with yet again another instantly memorable chorus. Other highlights includes I'm Over Dreaming (Over You) which has a disco flavour to it and cheesy pop at it's finest. Then there's the beautiful Heaven And Earth which takes the mature approach to better results and the final track Enjoy Yourself the title track and pretty sums the album up very well, with it's house influences and which would lead to the next album perfectly. Although there are some sore points on this album, but overall it's fun and definitely the perfect companion to her debut

This post has been edited by Acidburn: 16th December 2014, 02:30 PM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 13th December 2014, 11:22 PM
Post #45
Group icon

You met with the monster in your mind

#28 Wouldn't Change A Thing // Enjoy Yourself // Avg: 7.482 (11: Mango) (10: Acidburn, fgi090905, Kellyann), (4.5/4: Nick F1,:مدهش*)

#29 Did It Again // Impossible Princess // Avg: 7.428 (10: Mr Aly), (5: Stuart25, Simon, Chapman)

In this batch we lose the last of the "Impossible Princess" era singles, which means this the 2nd era album singles are now gone, following "LGTI", and another big hit from her 80's PWL era. Both scored very high marks and neither scored below 4 or 5.

At #29 and just above the half way mark is "Did It Again" which was released in November 1997 as the 2nd single from her 6th album "Impossible Princess". A pop rock song with middle eastern music, a new style for her and received a positive reception for her harder edged rock style and became the album's most successful single by peaking at #14 in the UK performing a lot better than the lead single which only peaked at #22. In Australia it reached #15 and spent 17 weeks on the charts over, becoming one of her longest running singles over there and certified Gold, again becoming the album's biggest hit over there as well.

At #28 is Wouldn't Change A Thing and in total contrast to #29, as it's from her PWL days. Released in July 1989 as the 2nd single from her 2nd album "Enjoy Yourself" and became another hit for her by hitting #2 in the UK and becoming another big seller for her and earned her a Silver disc for selling over 300,000 copies. In other countries it had moderate success by hitting top 10 in Australia, Ireland and Finland, as well as top 20 in France and top 30 peaks in Germany, New Zealand, Sweden and Swiss.

This post has been edited by Acidburn: 24th December 2014, 11:17 PM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 13th December 2014, 11:54 PM
Post #46
Group icon

It feels like I never saw the sun

#26 Never Too Late // Enjoy Yourself // Avg: 7.625 (11: fgi090905, bartsimpson), (10: Acidburn, Jay, MIKEMYERS), (2:مدهش* )

#27 2 Hearts // X // Avg: 7.607 (11: Regina,مدهش* ), (10: Ultraviolence1989, Liam, bartsimpson, Kyliefan '14), (4: Gezza)

As draw closer to the top 25 we lose another "Enjoy Yourself" single, leaving just 1 left and the 2nd X single finally bows out.

At #27 is 2 Hearts which was released in November 2007 as the lead single from her 10th studio album "X". This was also Kylie's first single since she was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2005. The song is a cover originally sung by Kish Mavue, which features elements of glam rock and rock and roll and received a mixed reception, some praised it for it's sound, while others thought that it wasn't a very strong single, but nonetheless it became successful when released by topping the charts in Australia, Spain and Ukraine, and top 5 in Italy, Sweden and UK, then top 20 in 9 other countries.

At #26 is "Never Too Late" which was released in October 1989 as the 3rd single from her 2nd album "Enjoy Yourself". Originally Kylie wanted the title track released, but Pete Waterman overruled her. It is also stated that this track was the fave Kylie song by her former boyfriend and late lead singer of INXS Michael Hutchence. The song became another hit for Kylie by reaching #4 in the UK, although breaking her run of 7 top 3 hits and also topped the charts in Ireland and hit top 20 in Australia and Netherlands, then finally top 40 peaks in France, Swiss and New Zealand. This was also Kylie's last release from the 1980's

This post has been edited by Acidburn: 16th December 2014, 02:18 PM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 14th December 2014, 12:03 AM
Post #47
Group icon

Results so far =

Singles

26 // Never Too Late
27 // 2 Hearts
28 // Wouldn't Change A Thing
29 // Did It Again
30 // Je Ne Sais Pas Pourqoui
31 // Where The Wild Roses Grow (Ft Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds)
32 // Especially For You (Ft Jason Donovan)
33 // Shocked
34 // Kids (Ft Robbie Williams)
35 // Turn It Into Love
36 // Flower
37 // The Locomotion
38 // Higher (Ft Taio Cruz)
39 // Chocolate
40 // Breathe
41 // Please Stay
42 // Giving You Up
43 // Crystalize
44 // What Kind Of Fool (Heard All That Before)
45 // Some Kind Of Bliss
46 // Finer Feelings
47 // Give Me Just A Little More Time
48 // Better Than Today
49 // Put Your Hands Up (If You Feel Love) (Pete Hammond Mix)
50 // Cowboy Style
51 // It's No Secret
52 // All I See
53 // Word Is Out
54 // I Was Gonna Cancel
55 // Where Is The Feeling
56 // Tears On My Pillow
57 // If You Were With Me Now (Ft Keith Washington)
58 // Beautiful (Ft Enrique Igelesias)
59 // G.B.I. (German Bold Italic)
60 // Celebration [/font][font="Georgia"]

Albums =

08 // Enjoy Yourself
09 // Kylie Minogue
10 // Kiss Me Once
11 // Body Language
12 // Let's Get To It

This post has been edited by Acidburn: 20th December 2014, 05:23 PM

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 14th December 2014, 12:06 AM
Post #48
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

'Did It Again' WAY too low, that is truly amazing. Such an anthem. wub.gif Also adore 'Never Too Late'.

'Wouldn't Change A Thing' is one of the weaker singles in Kylie's discography for me.

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 14th December 2014, 12:11 AM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Acidburn @ Dec 13 2014, 10:53 PM) *
Don't wait for tomorrow when you should be living today

#08 Enjoy Yourself // Avg: 7.543 (10: Acidburn, fgi090905, Jester, bartsimpson), (3: xxxx)

Here's another album, as we now are half way through the singles countdown, and the fifth album to bow out is "Enjoy Yourself", which was released in October 1989 and followed in the footsteps of her massive debut "Kylie" which was released a year before. This proved that she wasn't just a flash in the pan or a flash in the pan and this continued her reign of success. While not being quite as strong as her debut, there were definite signs of maturity and more variety as she incorporates house music and disco into this album.

A common trait throughout Kylie's career starting the album with a lead single Hand On Your Heart which is bright, fun and cheery and basically PWL as it's finest. Wouldn't Change A Thing shows a sign of maturity but none the less still pure pop and then flowing perfectly with tracks 1 and 2 is Never Too Late with yet again another instantly memorable chorus. Other highlights includes I'm Over Dreaming (Over You) which has a disco flavour to it and cheesy pop at it's finest. Then there's the beautiful Heaven And Earth which takes the mature approach to better results and the final track Enjoy Yourself the title track and pretty sums the album up very well, with it's house influences and which would lead to the next album perfectly. Although there are some sore points on this album, but overall it's fun and definitely the perfect companion to her debut

Enjoy yourself is a stronger album than Kylie in my opinion.

+Quote this post
jark
post 14th December 2014, 11:02 AM
Post #50
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990

What horrible results so far! Breathe and Shocked being so low are absolute criminal.

+Quote this post
Regina
post 14th December 2014, 11:05 AM
Post #51
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

2 Hearts should be top 2 sleep.gif

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 14th December 2014, 10:47 PM
Post #52
Group icon

I've been chasing the life I'm dreaming, now I'm home

#24 Come Into My World // Fever // Avg: 7.678 (11: Simon), (10: Luciano), (4: Gezza)

#25 Got To Be Certain // Kylie // Avg: 7.66 (10: Acidburn, Mango, Jester, MIKEMYERS), (3: Vibe)

In this batch we lose the first of the Fever era singles, (very surprised at this, given that the songs that it's beaten), why too high on this rate in this countdown, but it did score a lot of 9's and 8's. Also the 5th "Kylie" era single to drop, leaving the biggest and most memorable one left.

At #25 is "Got To Be Certain", released in May 1988 as the 2nd single from her debut album "Kylie". Originally the song wasn't written for Kylie unlike her others during the PWL years, but originally recorded by Mandy Smith who was also on the same label, but her version was scrapped for unknown reasons and was given to Kylie instead, but was denied by Mike Stock in his book The Hit Factory - The Story of Stock Aitken and Waterman, but later surfaced on the Stock Aitken Waterman Gold CD in 2005 as a bonus track. The song became a success following the massive hit "ISBSL" and topped the charts in Australia, Belgium and Finland, while reaching #2 in the UK for 3 weeks and sold over 315,000 copies, and in other countries it hit top 5 peaks in New Zealand, Ireland and Norway and top 10 in Austria, Germany, Danish, France and Swiss.

At #24 is Come Into My World which was released in November 2002 as the 4th and final single from her 8th album "Fever", written by Rob Davis and Cathy Dennis. For it's release it was remixed from it's original album form and became another successful hit during this era for her by hitting top 10 in Australia, UK and Hungary, along with top 20 peaks in Italy, Canada, Denmark, Spain and New Zealand. In the U.S.A. it was released as the 3rd and final single over there by peaking at #91, but in 2004 it did win Kylie her first and only Grammy for Best Dance Recording.

+Quote this post
Davidson
post 14th December 2014, 11:05 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,847

QUOTE(Acidburn @ Dec 12 2014, 08:27 AM) *
and other fillers such as "Million Miles", "Fine" and "Beautiful" which doesn't do the album justice. [/font]

Just caught this while reading through. 'Fine' as a filler? No way. It is amazing and by far the best of the era. Would have loved to see it as a single sad.gif

+Quote this post
Davidson
post 14th December 2014, 11:08 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(jark @ Dec 14 2014, 11:02 AM) *
What horrible results so far! Breathe and Shocked being so low are absolute criminal.

Never been that big on 'Shocked' but 'Breathe' is stunning and definitely deserves top 20 at least.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 14th December 2014, 11:33 PM
Post #55
Group icon

Trapped my very own self in the snare of my mind

#07 Impossible Princess// 1997 // Avg :7.708 (11: Aled, OceanBlue), (10: Regina, Liam, Mr Aly, Luciano), (-1: fgi090905)

At #7 in our album countdown is "Impossible Princess" which was released in November 1997 and was her 2nd album with DeConstruction label, and 6th in total. This marked a major departure from her previous works, working with several producers and experiments in diverse new sounds such as trip hop, indie rock, techno and folk. Kylie had partial creative control over this project and took her 2 years to finish. When released it didn't find much success, but further continued her reinvention into a mature woman. But while the public didn't warm to it, her fans love it and fully understand what she was trying to achieve with it.

The album begins with Too Far which begins in almost spoken word and then bridges into trip hop, Cowboy Style marks another change with it's folk influences and is clearly a highlight on this album, others such as Say Hey takes you to a whole other place, a funky dance number and Drunk which does what the title says, totally all over the place, then Limbo infuses rock and dance together and really bounces along nicely and I Don't Need Anyone an indie rock number with a belting chorus. Then beautiful moments such as Dreams which is lovely ballad that sounds fantastic live.

This post has been edited by Acidburn: 16th December 2014, 02:30 PM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 14th December 2014, 11:43 PM
Post #56
Group icon

Here's what's left the final 23 =

I Should Be So Lucky
Hand On Your Heart
Better The Devil You Know
Step Back In Time
What Do I Have To Do
Confide In Me
Put Yourself In My Place
Spinning Around
On A Night Like This
Your Disco Needs You
Can't Get You Out Of My Head
In Your Eyes
Love At First Sight
Slow
Red Blooded Woman
I Believe In You
Wow
In My Arms
The One
All The Lovers
Get Outta My Way
Timebomb
Into The Blue

The Albums =

Kylie
Rhythm Of Love
Light Years
Fever
X
Aphrodite

So any thoughts, any predictions, who do you think will come out on top

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 15th December 2014, 01:21 AM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I think devil will be fairly high if not number one.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 15th December 2014, 01:33 AM
Post #58
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I have a real soft spot for 'Got To Be Certain' out of her early stuff.

Impossible Princess would be in my top 3, it is a perfect album.

+Quote this post
Red Blooded Man
post 15th December 2014, 12:59 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 822

Shocked is way too low and Kids is so overrated.

It's criminal that Confide in me charted so low here... It's really one of her albums that I go back from time to time along with Light Years.

+Quote this post
Davidson
post 15th December 2014, 03:21 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

What a strong top 23. The only 3 that I don't think deserve a place in the top 20 are 'In My Arms', 'Timebomb' and 'Into The Blue' so hopefully they will be out next. However, the most recent songs always do better than they should on these kinds of rates so I won't hold out hope.

+Quote this post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 09:06 AM