BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jupiter 2017: Week #25, who got the power? // + links + writeup
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post Jun 20 2017, 08:26 AM
Post #1
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

Another new week, new #1 as Power surges to the top to give Little Mix their first leader since I started these charts back last August (nearly a year now, wow). Power was one I missed on first run-through of the album when it released back in Q4 last year, up until now I would’ve said NMSS was my top track from Glory Days. The track indirectly gets a big boost from its video as I’ve been enjoying watching a lot of youtube reaction vids to it since it came out, which has definitely helped it into my head and to rack up the plays. Garrix/Sivan slips to #2, although it was very close to holding the top spot for a second week and could rise again in the future. Carly Rae Jepsen’s Cut to the Feeling and Paperwhite’s Only Us join them in this week’s top 5, along with Lana Del Rey who holds steady from last week.

HAIM, Iggy Azalea, and Nicki Minaj’s new track with Yo Gotti are new entrants into the top ten this week rising on their last week’s peaks; a debut top ten for Iggy, second for HAIM and fourth consecutive for Nicki so far this year. Halsey and Lauren Jauregui’s Strangers also debuts this week inside the top ten; both ladies’ highest charter so far this year. Right now I find myself a lot more excited by what Lauren’s putting out than either Camila Cabello or the now four-woman strong Fifth Harmony (an unfortunate band name, in retrospect).

Other brand newies this week come from London Grammar, Lady Antebellum, ex-Eurovisioners Maraaya, Vaults, Gaga, Lorde, the Naked and Famous, VÉRITÉ, Alt-J, Anitta and Elsa & Emilie. A lot of those are album tracks from those newly or recently released by the artists in question. I’m particularly impressed by the new VÉRITÉ track; I’m usually lukewarm on what she puts out but this one has me hook line and sinker. She’s got a debut album coming out this summer.
I’ll be adding video links and a bit of commentary for the new entries through the week, so check back for that, I’ll update the thread title accordingly.
For now, the top 40 for this third week of June:

01 Little Mix ft. Stormzy – Power [7-1]
02 Martin Garrix ft. Troye Sivan - There For You [1-2]
03 Lana Del Rey ft. The Weeknd - Lust for Life [35-X4-29-3-3]
04 Paperwhite - Only Us [30-4]
05 Carly Rae Jepsen - Cut to the Feeling [6-5]
06 Halsey ft. Lauren Jauregui - Strangers [N]
07 Yo Gotti ft. Nicki Minaj - Rake It Up [25-7]
08 Lana Del Rey - Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind [13-4-5-8]
09 HAIM - Want You Back [20-9]
10 Iggy Azalea ft. Anitta - Switch [20-14-10]
11 Mila J - Longway [28-17-11]
12 Lady Antebellum - Heart Break [N]
13 MisterWives - Coloring Outside the Lines [26-13]
14 Mura Masa ft. Charli XCX - 1 Night [18-14]
15 Manila Killa ft. AOBeats + Shaylen - I'm OK [24-8-15-15]
16 Maraaya ft. BQL - It's Complicated [N]
17 Kehlani - In My Feelings [33-13-17]
18 Arcade Fire - Everything Now [32-18]
19 VUKOVI - Wander [32-19-21-19]
20 Ritual ft. Denzel Curry - Real Feels [26-25-24-20]
21 London Grammar - Wild Eyed [N]
22 Cashmere Cat ft. Jhene Aiko - Plz Don't Go [12-5-9-22]
23 Foster the People - SHC [27-23]
24 Vaults - Lifespan [N]
25 Linkin Park - Nobody Can Save Me [40-27-29-25]
26 Naked and Famous - Last Forever [N]
27 Lorde - Sober [N]
28 LOLO - Shine [36-31-28]
29 Lady Gaga - Joanne [N]
30 Elsa & Emilie x Dulsae - Chains of Promises [N]
31 Katy Perry ft. Migos - Bon Appetit [6-4-3-2-14-36-31]
32 Charming Horses ft. Grace Grundy - You Get What You Give [40-32]
33 Anitta - Paradinha [N]
34 HAIM - Right Now [17-10-8-34]
35 Imagine Dragons - Whatever it Takes [14-12-11-35]
36 Caroline Pennell ft. Felix Snow - Lovesick [23-18-22-36]
37 Camila Cabello - Crying in the Club [38-37]
38 Alt-J - Deadcrush [N]
39 VÉRITÉ - Saint [N]
40 Calvin Harris ft. Future + Khalid - Rollin [20-11-10-40]

#1s this year:
Fickle Friends – Brooklyn (2)
Dua Lipa – Be The One (3)
Ed Sheeran – Castle On the Hill (1)
Tal – Slow Down the Flow (1)
Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa – Scared To Be Lonely (2)
Katy Perry ft. Skip Marley – Chained To The Rhythm (2)
Calvin Harris ft. Frank Ocean + Migos – Slide (2)
Nicki Minaj ft. Drake + Lil Wayne – No Frauds (1)
Era Istrefi ft. Felix Snow – Redrum (2)
Chainsmokers ft. Jhené Aiko – Wake Up Alone (3)
Lady Gaga – The Cure (1)
Wale ft. Major Lazer, Dua Lipa + WizKid – My Love (1)
Syn Cole ft. Nevve – Sway (2)
Martin Garrix & Troye Sivan – There For You (1)
Little Mix ft. Stormzy – Power

Where can you see what I’m listening to? My spotify A-List playlist = {click here}

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: Jun 23 2017, 12:32 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tombo
post Jun 20 2017, 11:17 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 9,543

Hey Jup, I am loving your new #1! Here are my favourites from your chart!

07 Yo Gotti ft. Nicki Minaj - Rake It Up [25-7] Shall I plough it down first? laugh.gif

Great chart, quite a few ones that I don't know!

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Jun 23 2017, 12:16 PM
Post #3
   No Gallery Pics

Never did I think I'd see the day when Stormzy took a #1 in my charts, but who could've foreseen him partnering up with Little Mix on a girl power anthem for this generation. On paper (onscreen?) it sounds like it shouldn't work, but Power's single version - and album version - is undeniably a real bop! In other news this week, this week's chart has the lowest number of former chart toppers in it, with only Martin Garrix's There For You as a former #1 alongside this week's leader. The average weeks a track lasts in my top 40 remains low, as week on week a flood of new entries comes, pushing out some of the older efforts. In terms of longest-runners, this week the crown goes to Katy Perry's Bon Appetit, unexpectedly grabbing a seventh week in doing so, actually surpassing Chained to the Rhythm's six-week run. CTTR did manage to be a chart-topper though, so it's tit for tat.

As for this week's new tunes:

Halsey heads up this week's new entries, finally releasing a track that stands up the claims she made about her second studio album being a commercial pop effort. The addition of Lauren Jauregui turns an already decent pop song into a girls' love track, one of the rare occurances I can remember of one of those being done by two real-life bi women. Strangers gives Halsey her first charter as well as her first top 10 since #3-peaking Closer with the Chainsmokers.

Country cross now with Lady Antebellum, scoring their first good song with me since Need You Now. Country crossover is very much a genre I'm mixed on, but it's catchy as hell when done right and doesn't have a story thread about banging the bible or riding around in your truck with your gun to drag it down. Heart Break has an interesting choral structure that still catches me out every time I try to sing along. Despite the title, it's a pretty upbeat number.

First post-album charter for London Grammar here. On an album that seemed at first run through a bit samey, this one stood out, and singer Hannah has some great vocal acrobatics to show off. I'm aware from experience that London Grammar albums are slow burners, I'm sure that before the year is out I'll be loving most of the album and eating my earlier words. Wild Eyed is probably the closest thing the album has to a midtempo rather than a slow ballad, and will probably be all we'll be getting of that nature until they drop some more remix EPs.

Vaults apparently broke up recently, so I've been revisiting their debut album which only came out last year. I had deliberately rationed it to myself a bit anyway. Lifespan becomes the group's third charter from the album following Hurricane and Bloodflow. It's got a bit of trip-hop influence which is always interesting to find on an alternative darkpop album.

And here's another for The Naked and Famous, whose most recent album is proving to be an absolute goldmine for great songs. Like its charting predecessors Laid Low and Higher, Last Forever has been a slow burner lingering just outside my top 40 for a few, before providing a welcome injection of dance-rock power-pop into my listen list this month and ultimately this week's chart. Last Forever, more than the other two, is pretty strongly reminiscent of the kind of power anthems Gaga and Katy Perry were releasing circa Edge of Glory and TGIF, a real solid discovery. It lifts from the Naked and Famous's criminally underrated third album Simple Forms, released last year.

Latest charter for Lorde here just about laps Perfect Places to become her second charter so far from the album everyone's talking about, Melodrama. I haven't actually listened through the album yet, still enjoying the singles and grats she's put out so far. Sober is a really solid little alt pop song, dipping back into the waters of Lorde's first album, but with updated production and, dare I say, personality behind it as she engages more easily with more grown-up themes. I always get the feeling, listening to Lorde and hearing her interviewed, that she's very intelligent, and self-aware, and this definitely comes through on what I've heard so far from her this year. Expect this one to rise.

Writeup for the other new entries to come in part 2 when I get a minute!

+Quote Post
Riser
post Jun 24 2017, 03:54 PM
Post #4
The horrors persist, but so do I
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 19,534

Hi 360Jupiter hi.gif Oh gosh, there's loads here I'll need to catch up on (appreciate the YT links!) but Little Mix and Carly both sound remarkably song, Haim maybe less so but 'Little Of Your Love' finally has me hyped for the album! Finally listened to Melodrama and 'Sober' was an obvious highlight, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you ever get around to it. And I've never been a huge Arcade Fire fan but 'Everything Now' is wonderful.

I gave Lady Antebellum and The Naked & Famous a listen just now. 'Heart Break' sounds way better than their actual lead single, nice to hear an album track as I kinda stopped listening to their full albums but they seem to be returning to form maybe? And despite loving 'Higher' I haven't checked out anything else from Simple Forms. 'Last Forever' is sounding great, especially the chorus!

Nice chart biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Jun 24 2017, 05:49 PM
Post #5
   No Gallery Pics

Part II - and what wonderful comments I've had so far. I will get to replying just after this lot biggrin.gif

Ever since their ill-fated Eurovision underperformance a few years back (the girl with the oversized headphones in the duo that had an unfortunately early slot on the night despite being tipped as an early favourite) I've been following Maraaya's career with interest, and this 2017 effort is definitely a pinnacle. It's got a similar vibe to their Eurovision song Here For You, but with a slightly Inna-esque summer vibe that turns that song's pessimism into a more upbeat effort. The song went top 10 in their native Slovenia and in a fair world would do just as well here in the UK, but oh well.

Paradinha's the latest single from Anitta, the featured artist from Iggy Azalea's latest single Switch, and something of a viral success, with a lot of reaction vids on youtube and gifs of it around the interweb in other places. In 3 weeks it's notched up 45 mil views, not bad, especially for a non-US artist! It's a foreign-language song, but that's been no barrier to Despacito's success. I can see why Iggy chose Anitta to work with; they seem to take a similar approach to music video style, even down to the hints of comedy.

This is a great track, Dulsae's remix elevating Elsa & Emilie's original to new heights. The girls have been on my radar a wee bit for a few years, or maybe just a year, it's only when I look them up on soundcloud I see they haven't got that much of a following yet, or even a wikipedia page. Maybe it's just because I follow scandinavian pop pretty closely. The duo are Norwegian and pretty young, generally making similar style of music to Astrid S or Sigrid, with maybe a slightly folky twist. I think I found this one on the New Music Friday Sweden playlist on spotify which is always worth checking out of a Friday.

Could've swore I did write-up for this one already. Possibly lost it. Anyways, it's surprisingly Verite's third charter so far this year, putting her up in the ballpark of people like Nicki and Tinashe. She's just released her debut album after a few years of finding her musical identity, trying on a bit of Marina, a bit of Lana, and a few others. I'm not her manager, I swear! I have though followed her career for a while, mainly out of interest because she was releasing so regularly and switching up her sound with basically every track she put out. I'm enjoying 2017 Verite more than some of the earlier stages as she's been diversifying into dance features this year, and I love a versatile artist.

Latest charter for Alt-J, debuting at the same spot as their last, In Cold Blood. I know from experience that Alt-J albums are slow burners, it took me a year plus to properly get into their previous album, but once I did it managed to get several tracks up into my all-time top 100, so it really depends. Alt-J will be appearing a bit later in my top 100 artists' countdown ongoing right now in the Countdowns forum, if anybody's interested in checking that out. Here's a link if you want to see who's come up so far wink.gif

Finally for this week, a last shout from Gaga, whose latest album I've been revisiting with new eyes after the success of The Cure and watching a couple of album reviews on youtube. The album's title track is asimple acoustic ballad, but Gaga really projects emotion strongly into the song which elevates it up beside some of her other great ballad tracks that normally never see release from her albums (isn't Million Reasons just about her first?). There's some great emotional notes on Joanne, and I think in the future when her discography widens a bit more the album will be appreciated differently. It's not the Gaga album we wanted in 2016, but it's still a pretty solid effort and we'd be singing its praises if it came as a debut by a new singer, I feel.

And that's the week! Super late as ever these days. Me? Biting off more than I could chew?! Imagine. I will get to comment replying and looking at other folks' charts now biggrin.gif Seriously I really appreciate hearing what people have to say, so feel free to drop a line anytime biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: Jun 24 2017, 08:31 PM

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Jun 24 2017, 08:35 PM
Post #6
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Tombo @ Jun 20 2017, 12:17 PM) *
Hey Jup, I am loving your new #1! Here are my favourites from your chart!

07 Yo Gotti ft. Nicki Minaj - Rake It Up [25-7] Shall I plough it down first? laugh.gif

Great chart, quite a few ones that I don't know!

Is Mrs May visiting the field for a run? Thank you smile.gif

QUOTE(Riser @ Jun 24 2017, 04:54 PM) *
Hi 360Jupiter hi.gif Oh gosh, there's loads here I'll need to catch up on (appreciate the YT links!) but Little Mix and Carly both sound remarkably song, Haim maybe less so but 'Little Of Your Love' finally has me hyped for the album! Finally listened to Melodrama and 'Sober' was an obvious highlight, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you ever get around to it. And I've never been a huge Arcade Fire fan but 'Everything Now' is wonderful.

I gave Lady Antebellum and The Naked & Famous a listen just now. 'Heart Break' sounds way better than their actual lead single, nice to hear an album track as I kinda stopped listening to their full albums but they seem to be returning to form maybe? And despite loving 'Higher' I haven't checked out anything else from Simple Forms. 'Last Forever' is sounding great, especially the chorus!

Nice chart biggrin.gif

What a great comment biggrin.gif more youtube links now if you want another discovery trip wink.gif

Little Of Your Love is great...almost reminds me of a cutesy K-pop song. Yeah, I will probably listen to Melodrama once I've exhausted Sober, or give it a wee listen over the weekend.

Oh I had no idea Heart Break wasn't a single by Lady Antebellum. It should be, it would be a great shout for a second single. And yes, Naked and Famous's latest album is surprisingly strong; their first was hit and miss to me and their second I didn't really like anything on!

Thanks for commenting biggrin.gif hopefully I'll see you in again next week wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:46 AM