BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'FRIENDS' · general discussion
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Seinfeld
post Aug 9 2019, 12:00 PM
Post #161
NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!
Group: Members
Member No.: 10,505
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(TheJüpreme @ Aug 9 2019, 11:54 AM) *
I guess all the characters in Seinfeld I find insufferable, so, no matter how good the writing around them is, I don't have any interest in watching what they're up to. The characters in Friends are for the most part charming and broadly sympathetic.

Tbh I think comparing the two is an odd metric anyway as they're clearly very different shows. We could as well compare The Nanny and Supernanny because they're both about nannies, although everything else is miles apart.

The characters in Seinfeld are unlikeable, selfish and awful to pretty much everyone, and that’s what makes the episodes great to watch, along with the great writing and plot. There’s no character development in Seinfeld, they never learn from their mistakes and that goes against the grain for a sitcom. Basically, you’re not suppose to care or have feelings for these characters, just appreciate their silliness, stupidity and their wacky craziness. laugh.gif

Seinfeld and Friends have completely different tones but there are some similarities. Friends copied Seinfeld quite a lot...

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Seinfeld
post Aug 9 2019, 02:10 PM
Post #162
NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!
   No Gallery Pics

Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld have always criticised Friends for being a Seinfeld clone:

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/fl...d12c493ddd6dca7
https://www.quora.com/What-does-Jerry-Seinf...iends-TV-series

+Quote Post
HausofF
post Aug 9 2019, 03:12 PM
Post #163
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Inner Circle
Member No.: 13,007

With recent rewatches and particularly towards the final few seasons I think Ross is my favourite character in terms of who makes me laugh most.

Ross / Phoebe
Monica
Chandler
Joey / Rachel

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Aug 9 2019, 03:19 PM
Post #164
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Janice is the best tho, let’s face it.

+Quote Post
Algernon Monquee...
post Aug 9 2019, 03:55 PM
Post #165
Coming for JonasStyle's WEV
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(HausofTove @ Aug 9 2019, 04:12 PM) *
With recent rewatches and particularly towards the final few seasons I think Ross is my favourite character in terms of who makes me laugh most.

Ross / Phoebe
Monica
Chandler
Joey / Rachel

Yah he and Phoebe make me laugh the most too, but I accept that as a person hr is horrible and old fashioned tongue.gif (Not David, Ross)

+Quote Post
TheJüpreme
post Aug 9 2019, 05:56 PM
Post #166
they're girls - and cousins too!!
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

Sure, but I don't like to hate the Seinfeld characters either, I just find them both irritating and boring. I don't care about their lives or their adventures enough to laugh at them going wrong. Interestingly I think I have the sane approach to something like Love Island.

+Quote Post
Seinfeld
post Aug 9 2019, 08:15 PM
Post #167
NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(TheJüpreme @ Aug 9 2019, 06:56 PM) *
Sure, but I don't like to hate the Seinfeld characters either, I just find them both irritating and boring. I don't care about their lives or their adventures enough to laugh at them going wrong. Interestingly I think I have the sane approach to something like Love Island.

Your outlook on a show like Seinfeld is all wrong then rolleyes.gif

I get the feeling you haven’t actually seen that many episodes of Seinfeld. You’ve probably just seen a few episodes here and there, and you can’t judge a show like that (especially a unique show like Seinfeld). You have to watch every episode from start to finish to completely understand and appreciate the comedy and its uniqueness.

+Quote Post
Algernon Monquee...
post Aug 9 2019, 09:08 PM
Post #168
Coming for JonasStyle's WEV
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

Funniest:

1. Phoebe
2. Ross
3. Rachel
4. Ms. Chanandler Bong
5. Monica

Biig gap but special mention for buy her baby:

6. Joey

+Quote Post
TheJüpreme
post Aug 18 2019, 11:48 AM
Post #169
they're girls - and cousins too!!
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Seinfeld @ Aug 9 2019, 09:15 PM) *
Your outlook on a show like Seinfeld is all wrong then rolleyes.gif

I get the feeling you haven’t actually seen that many episodes of Seinfeld. You’ve probably just seen a few episodes here and there, and you can’t judge a show like that (especially a unique show like Seinfeld). You have to watch every episode from start to finish to completely understand and appreciate the comedy and its uniqueness.

If you have to watch it for 100 hours plus to enjoy it I think I'll manage to pass. That's quite the investment!

+Quote Post
Seinfeld
post Aug 18 2019, 05:58 PM
Post #170
NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(TheJüpreme @ Aug 18 2019, 12:48 PM) *
If you have to watch it for 100 hours plus to enjoy it I think I'll manage to pass. That's quite the investment!

Seinfeld was a slow burner to be fair. Have you seen any episodes from the peak seasons (3-7)?

+Quote Post
kye
post Aug 18 2019, 06:34 PM
Post #171
• Aesthetic Party •
Member No.: 2,169

i saw that friends was heading to the cinema for its 25th anniversary thinking they’d confirmed a film.. it’s literally just episodes shown on the big screen!

+Quote Post
Jack
post Aug 18 2019, 06:37 PM
Post #172
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 223

And of course its happening in the US only. Why can't we have nice things?! 😭

+Quote Post
pippa
post Aug 19 2019, 07:01 PM
Post #173
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

It is great that Friends remains so popular but going to the cinema to see is not something i thought would be successful when most fans have likely seen every episode many times.

This post has been edited by pippa: Aug 19 2019, 07:02 PM

+Quote Post
Seinfeld
post Aug 27 2019, 12:25 AM
Post #174
NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!
   No Gallery Pics

Why 'Seinfeld' is superior to 'Friends'

Opinion by Melissa Blake
Updated 1232 GMT (2032 HKT) August 23, 2019

Perhaps it's easiest to start with how the two shows are similar, since, arguably, their list of similarities is shorter than George's resume. Both shows follow the lives of a group of friends living and working in New York.

But that's where the similarities end.

Where "Friends" suffered from simplistic and generic storylines, "Seinfeld" remains one of the smartest and most unique sitcoms. In the 21 years since its finale, few, if any, shows have ever been able to replicate that same level of magic and ardent fandom. And what about its many contributions to the American lexicon? Do you ever say "yada, yada, yada?" Do you celebrate "Festivus?" Thanks, "Seinfeld."

Where "Friends" gave us unrealistic expectations of life in our 20s -- a sort of hyperreality -- "Seinfeld" was just real. On "Friends," all the characters were airbrushed, beautiful people living in massive New York City apartments that far exceeded what even successful bankers could've afforded. On "Seinfeld," however, the characters had messy -- or not much -- hair, dressed in jeans and T-shirts and lived in more normal apartments. (Though given how little they worked, it was hard to imagine how they afforded even those.)

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/23/opinions...lake/index.html

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2019 - 04:30 PM