BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DT32 Rates The UK Debuts
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Polly Planturret
post Aug 11 2019, 11:52 PM
Post #41
I've seen the future and it's omelettes
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(sergejdordij98 @ Aug 9 2019, 11:10 AM) *
Really enjoyed reading this, reminds me a lot like the Billboard Breakdown Videos from Spectrum Pulse.
I'll make sure to give the Best and worst songs of today's week when you will publish it.

You can say it is like the Billboard Breakdown videos. That was an inspiration for this thread.
Thanks for reading!

I'll also thank danG too
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Polly Planturret
post Aug 12 2019, 05:13 PM
Post #42
   No Gallery Pics

15/08/2019

NEW ENTRIES:
#98. Sarah Jeffery - Queen Of Mean (from The Descendents 3)
#96. Blanco Brown - The Git Up
#92. Gerry Cinnamon - Belter
#82. Tones & I - Dance Monkey
#81. Solardo & Eli Brown - XTC
#72. Drake - 4PM In Calabasas
#50. Drake - How Bout Now
#43. LAUV & Anne-Marie - f*** I'm Lonely
#8. Aitch - Taste (Make It Shake)
#4. Ariana Grande & Social House - Boyfriend

Kicking us off this week is a song from the forthcoming third installment of Disney Channelís The Descendants franchise (May you rest in peace, Cameron Boyce) called Queen Of Mean. The song doesnít feature Boyce but it does feature the vocals of Sarah Jeffery (who plays the character Princess Audrey). I like some of the orchestral arrangements in the track, as well as the way the pitch shifting parts in the background are layered in a similar fashion to Justin Bieberís 2015 smash hit Sorry (one of my faves from him). However, the lyrics come across as a tad overdramatic and Iím not a huge fan of the 1st and 2nd verses where Jeffery sounds like sheís rapping.

I have seen this sticking around in the Top 20 of the Billboard charts, but it has now entered the UK charts. The Git Up is a country and trap fusion in a similar vein to Old Town Road. It does a great job at capturing the atmosphere of a country-western dance with Brown pointing out the dance moves through the lyrics with his charismatic Western accent and the country guitar twangs blend well with the beatboxing and trap percussion. It doesnít get too repetitive, in which it doesnít repeat the song title over and over, which is a good thing.

In a time where most of what you expect in the charts is pop, hip hop and occasionally EDM, Indie folk artist Gerry Cinnamon has been lucky enough to nab a 2nd charting hit in the form of Belter, which came out in 2017 (Boy, do I find it interesting when I get to look at songs that came out a few years ago in this thread!). The song starts off with a thin voice and acoustic guitar texture before adding in some percussive sounds on the guitar near the end. It's a really good acoustic tune, and Gerry puts on an enjoyable vocal performance.

Dance Monkey stops off with some nice keyboard chords that remind me of English Riviera-era Metronomy. The song has a bouncy quirky sound to it thanks to the colourful production and what really makes it shine brighter is near the end where the textures expand with the addition of sustained piano chords. It did take a while for me to get used to Tonesí voice, but she sings good in this.

XTC has a catchy tech house sound to it that reminds me of Oliver Heldens, and itís great to see that kind of sound come back into the charts. The soulful vocal style really enhances the song by blending well with the house style production.

This week, weíve got two tracks from Drakeís latest compilation album Care Package, which consists of pieces of Drakeís old material that havenít been available on streaming services until now.
4PM IN Calabasas serves as another installment to Drakeís time and location tracks (e.g. 9AM In Dallas from Thank Me Later). The track sees Drake refer to his beefs and some events of his past life, along with an interpolation of Grandmaster Flashís 1983 hip hop classic The Message and a chill sounding beat. I was going to give this a gold rating, but I feel like Drake switches topics too quickly in the lyrics to the point where I don't get what the connecting themes of the song are.
How Bout Now was previously available as a bonus track in the physical edition of 2015 mixtape If Youíre Reading This Itís Too Late. Despite a few ridiculous lines including one in which he deletes all his other girlsí phone numbers for his girl (I do give credit for showing a sense of appreciation towards this girl though), Drake blends melodic and non-melodic styles of rapping together solidly over some pleasant sounding reverse synth lines and he rides the chorus really well. The pitch-shifted Jodeci sample fits nicely into the mix too.

Taken from the forthcoming third season of 13 Reasons Why is LAUV & Anne-Marieís new single F**k Iím Lonely. The song has a nice chiming sound to it to convey a sense of loneliness (which LAUV is also great at doing in his music). I like how both artists paint out their perspectives of a post break-up situation, despite a line in the latterís verse in which her friends are too drunk to stop her from going on her phone. Overall, it's a perfectly decent song.

Taste (Make It Shake) has a low pitched vocal line in the mix throughout that reminds me of the goat sounding sample in J Balvin and Willy Williamís Mi Gente from back in 2017. This could sound like mindless fun judging from the hedonistic Tyga-esque lyrics, but Iím not fond of Aitchís vocal delivery. The chorus, since it pops up occasionally, ends up weighing down the song thanks to the sound of the vocals not backing up the lyrical content very well for me.

Boyfriend bears some colourful sounding production (the intro sounds like something out of a Madeon song). The song does a good job at looking into a couple that miss the fun times of a relationship, with both Ariana and the Social House showing some fun vocal chemistry between each other.

Fave Of The Week goes to XTC by Solardo & Eli Brown. It reminds me of the great club jams that came from Spinnin' Records in the mid-2010's. The honorable mention goes to Drake with 4PM In Calabasas.
Least Fave Of The Week goes to Taste (Make It Shake) by Aitch.

#98. Sarah Jeffery - Queen Of Mean (from The Descendents 3) [6/10]
#96. Blanco Brown - The Git Up [9/10]
#92. Gerry Cinnamon - Belter [8/10]
#82. Tones & I - Dance Monkey [9/10]
#81. Solardo & Eli Brown - XTC [GOLD] (Fave Of The Week)
#72. Drake - 4PM In Calabasas [9/10] (FOTW HM)
#50. Drake - How Bout Now [8/10]
#43. LAUV & Anne-Marie - f*** I'm Lonely [7/10]
#8. Aitch - Taste (Make It Shake) [5/10] (Least Fave Of The Week)
#4. Ariana Grande & Social House - Boyfriend [9/10]

+Quote Post
sergejdordij98
post Aug 13 2019, 07:53 AM
Post #43
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 39,723
   No Gallery Pics

Best of the Week: Blanco Brown - The Git Up (A fun, corny song, that keeps growing on me!)
Honorable Mention: Ariana Grande & Social House - Boyfriend (Very impressed by this collaboration)
Least favourite of the Week: Aitch - Taste (Make It Shake) (If i had to choose, not a bad song)
Dishonorable Mention: Drake - How Bout Now (Again, if i had to choose, not a bad song)

+Quote Post
Polly Planturret
post Aug 13 2019, 08:27 AM
Post #44
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(sergejdordij98 @ Aug 13 2019, 08:53 AM) *
Best of the Week: Blanco Brown - The Git Up (A fun, corny song, that keeps growing on me!)
Honorable Mention: Ariana Grande & Social House - Boyfriend (Very impressed by this collaboration)
Least favourite of the Week: Aitch - Taste (Make It Shake) (If i had to choose, not a bad song)
Dishonorable Mention: Drake - How Bout Now (Again, if i had to choose, not a bad song)

I too am impressed by Boyfriend, and I can also say that The Git Up is corny, but fun and enjoyable at the same time.

+Quote Post
Polly Planturret
post Aug 21 2019, 11:39 AM
Post #45
   No Gallery Pics

22/08/2019

NEW ENTRIES:
#99. Aitch feat. GRM Daily - Daily Duppy
#98. Khalid feat. A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie - Right Back
#88. DJ Snake feat. J Balvin and Tyga - Loco Contigo
#84. Slipknot - Nero Forte
#77. Kojo Funds feat. Wizkid - I Like
#43. Katy Perry - Small Talk
#40. Megan Thee Stallion feat. Nicki Minaj - Hot Girl Summer

Aah! A Daily Duppy freestyle. The first one to enter the charts was that of J Hus from a few months ago. We now have another one from up and coming rapper Aitch, and what do I think of this? He has decent flows on this, with some enjoyable parts. The beat's not that great, but it blends quite well with his vocals.

Right Back bears some nice sounding synths in the mix that sound like something out of a night time drive.
In this song, Khalid is looking back at a relationship that didn't go as planned, but despite that, he's wanting to get back with his former lover because of the cherished times he spent with her. He pulls off a great vocal performance that fits really well with the atmosphere of the music.
The single version charting is a remix featuring a verse from A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie in the beginning. His vocals sound okay-ish, but he sometimes brags about his jewellery (which doesn't fit with the themes of the song).

DJ Snake brings us a fun Reggaeton bop in the form of Loco Contigo. The infectious Charlie Puth-like ďoohĒ lines from Taste and Swish return and both Tyga and Balvin give out good verses.

Nero Forte is absolutely gripping with its fast-paced metal sound and Corey Taylorís raging vocals. Thereís also a really good use of call and response between the cult-like harmonisation from the backing vocals and Taylor. My favourite part of the song definitely has to be the bridge with the one-word shouting and Taylor elevating them with sentences relating to these words. One of my faves from Slipknot along with Psychosocial and a big contender for my Top 75 Songs of 2019.

You know what I quite like? This new song from Kojo Funds called I Like! It carries a pleasant sounding Afrobeat summer sound and there's a good use of Jamaican elements, such as the patois used in the 1st verse and Wizkidís accent in the 2nd verse, despite the latter having some noticeable autotune.

Iím liking the sound of these organs (as well as the pre-chorus) in Small Talk. However, there are a few ridiculous lines in this like ďThere's nowhere your hands haven't beenĒ and Iím not very keen on the Ďblah-blah-blahí parts in the bridge. Other than that, it was a pretty decent listen.

Hot Girl Summer has a good arrangement of strings over a City Girls like beat, along with an interpolation of a line from Act Up (a City Girls song that charted in the Top 40 of the Billboard Hot 100 this year).
Both Megan and Nicki give out some good flows in their verses, and some of the innuendos end up enhancing the song thanks to the flows that back them up. The Ty Dolla $ign is quite decent as well.

Fave Of The Week will definitely go to Nero Forte by Slipknot. One of the heaviest, darkest songs to enter the chart this year. The honorable mention goes to Right Back by Khalid feat. A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie for having a lovely, lush sound to it and a great performance from Khalid. It's one of my faves from him as a lead artist since Vertigo from his Suncity EP.
This has been a really good week with no songs below 7/10. There were four of them with that rating, but if I had to choose my default Least Fave Of The Week, I would probably go for Small Talk by Katy Perry.

#99. Aitch feat. GRM Daily - Daily Duppy [7/10]
#98. Khalid feat. A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie - Right Back [9/10] (FOTW HM)
#88. DJ Snake feat. J Balvin and Tyga - Loco Contigo [8/10]
#84. Slipknot - Nero Forte [GOLD] (FAVE OF THE WEEK!)
#77. Kojo Funds feat. Wizkid - I Like [7/10]
#43. Katy Perry - Small Talk [7/10] (Least Fave Of The Week)
#40. Megan Thee Stallion feat. Nicki Minaj - Hot Girl Summer [7/10]

This post has been edited by Peral-Turret32: Aug 21 2019, 11:39 AM

+Quote Post
Polly Planturret
post Aug 29 2019, 09:24 PM
Post #46
   No Gallery Pics

29/08/2019

NEW ENTRIES:
#92. James Hype feat. Dots Per Inch and Ayak - I Was Lovin' You
#91. Sam Fender - Will We Talk
#82. Young Thug feat. Gunna - Hot
#72. Young Thug feat. Lil Baby - Bad Bad Bad
#70. Blade Brown feat. K Trap - Joints
#69. Regard - Ride It
#56. Liam Gallagher - One Of Us
#50. Swae Lee feat. Drake - Won't Be Late
#42. Miley Cyrus - Slide Away
#30. Normani - Motivation
#23. Taylor Swift - Lover
#22. Headie One - Both
#18. Jorja Smith feat. Burna Boy - Be Honest

I Was Loviní You has lyrics dealing with a post-breakup that may seem downbeat on paper, but the production gives this track a more uplifting feel.

Will We Talk carries the typical anthemic Fender feel, while looking at a broken relationship. I donít like it as much as Hypersonic Missiles or Play God, but itís still a pretty swell song.

We have two tracks from Young Thugís new album So Much Fun, but are these two as fun as the album title suggests?
First up, we have Hot, which has some brass instruments playing over a trap beat, along with a flute line. Most of the song is driven by Gunna, and... Iím not very fond of his verses, as I feel like they slow down the momentum of the song. Thugís verse is slightly better, though his interlude before that verse sounded quite weird.
The other charting track from the album is Bad Bad Bad. I enjoyed a lot of Thug's parts in this, as he has some solid flows in his verses that add another level of meaning to the album title. However, Lil Baby's verse drags this down. The vocals donít sound very good and we get a line of his involving him peeing till he passes out after drinking lean (lovely(!)).

Joints is another example of a 2019 rap track where the two artists make a vocal exchange in the chorus, along with Keisha & Becky (Russ splash and Tion Wayne) and Guten Tag (Hardy Caprio and DigDat).
Both Brown and Trap have some solid flows int his and they fit well into the beat. The part where Blade Brown he had to say one of his bars twice was pretty ridiculous though and near the end, the beat suddenly mutes for a second, which made me think that my internet connection was being slow when listening to this on Spotify the first time.

Ride It puts a chill, deep house take on the 2007 Jay Sean song of the same title. The original is a slow R&B sex jam with guitar and string arrangements, whereas this version has a faster tempo with a smooth jazz keyboard sounds and a nice synth breakdown after the chorus. The sound of the pitched vocals remind me of the ones used in Loud Luxuryís Body from last year.

One Of Us deals with the relationship between the two Gallagher brothers, like with what Once did last month. The vocal production isn't Definitely Maybe amazing, but it's still pretty good. The arrangement of drums, electric guitar and strings gives off an Oasis style sound to convey a good sense of nostalgia and the thought of missing these good days.
Before we move on, I would like to point out that this is the 2nd track on the album, yet it has that climatic sound to it (with the strings and the choir BVOX near the end of the track) that makes it sound more like an album closer. It reminds me of that small comment I made on Beautiful People from Ed's No 6 album feeling more like a closer than an opener.
Despite that, I'm still looking forward to what Why Me Why Not has to offer.

Won't Be Late bears a catchy, syncopated rhythm that reminds me of PARTYNEXTDOOR's Not Nice from 2016, along with a guitar that gives out a nice summertime vibe.
Swae's part have some noticeable autotune, but it doesn't stop them from being good as I can look past it easily.
Drake also gives off a good verse to fit the tone of the song. I like hearing him sing over chill, summer-like beats like in Signs, Passionfruit and especially Take Care.

Since Definitely Maybe is turning 25Ö WAIT! Wait before I make a mistake!
Ö
Itís Miley Cyrusí Slide Away. Good thing I double-checked
Anyway, Slide Away involves Miley trying to moving on from a past relationship, with some layers of emotion revealed as sheís doing so. Miley was going through a post-breakup situation involving her and Liam Hemsworth while making this song, which adds another level of melancholiness to this song. The reverb guitars give a dreamy, psychedelic feel reminiscent of Currents-era Tame Impala. This sound isnít new from Miley, as she has attempted to convey this psychedelic type of vibes a few years back when she collaborated with The Flaming Lips on a cover of The Beatles' Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds and in her Dead Petz album from 2015.
Overall, Iím really liking this! One of my faves from Miley along with Malibu.

After featuring in hits by Khalid and Sam Smith, former Fifth Harmony member Normani has finally got her first charting single as a lead artiÖ Whoops! Forgot about Checklist!
Normani has finally got her first UK Top 40 hit as a lead artist, and itís called Motivation. The E major pop production in this is decent, but I feel like most of the suggestive lyrics donít fit with this triumphant High Hopes-esque instrumentation. I do give Normani credit for attempting innuendos though, plus that sax solo in the bridge is quite enjoyable.

Lover takes on a 12/8 rhythm in the style of a waltz, as well as attempting to convey a nostalgic, alternate Christmas feel. It reminds me of two songs: 2000 Miles by The Pretenders (which also has a Christmas-like sound over a 12/8 rhythm) and Perfect by Ed Sheeran (a love song carrying a waltz-like rhythm)
The song is produced by Jack Antenoff of fun, who also produced Look What You Made Me Do, the Zaylor collab from Fifty Shades Darker, as well as some songs for Lorde, St. Vincent and more recently, Kevin Abstract. He does a good job at conveying a sense of nostalgia throughout the song.
The lyrics may feel cheesy at some points, such as ďIíve loved you three summers, honey, but I want Ďem allĒ, but other than that, itís a decent love song.

Bothís instrumentation carries an interpolation of the 1997 dance classic Free by Ultra Nate, which Headie weirdly blends well with, along with some good flows. I didn't like the sound of the filtered vocals on the pre-chorus though.

From an artist who had a Top 20 in my old personal chart from a few years back and now has a Top 20 on the UK Singles Chart (Woohoo!) is Jorja Smith with Be Honest, featuring Burna Boy (who has guest starred in songs by the likes of Lily Allen, Fall Out Boy and Dave).
The song looks into a relationship where Jorja is telling her partner to be honest, but not being too strict with it as she herself admit she's not entirely flawless. Jorja provides a nice, lush performance over some guitar lines and Burna Boy does a good job at playing the partner in this relationship to convey a perspective, as well as bringing in some Jamaican patois to go with it.

So that's it! Of the relatively huge batch of entries this week, my Fave Of The Week goes to One Of Us by Liam Gallagher for similar reasons to why I like the previous single off his upcoming album. The honorable mention goes to Regard's smooth, chill rework of the Jay Sean song Ride It.
My least fave goes to Hot by Young Thug and Gunna.

#92. James Hype feat. Dots Per Inch and Ayak - I Was Lovin' You [8/10]
#91. Sam Fender - Will We Talk [8/10]
#82. Young Thug feat. Gunna - Hot [5/10] (Least Fave Of The Week)
#72. Young Thug feat. Lil Baby - Bad Bad Bad [6/10]
#70. Blade Brown feat. K Trap - Joints [7/10]
#69. Regard - Ride It [9/10] (FOTW HM)
#56. Liam Gallagher - One Of Us [9/10] (Fave Of The Week)
#50. Swae Lee feat. Drake - Won't Be Late [8/10]
#42. Miley Cyrus - Slide Away [9/10]
#30. Normani - Motivation [6/10]
#23. Taylor Swift - Lover [7/10]
#22. Headie One - Both [7/10]
#18. Jorja Smith feat. Burna Boy - Be Honest [9/10]

+Quote Post
Polly Planturret
post Sep 3 2019, 12:13 PM
Post #47
   No Gallery Pics

05/09/2019

NEW ENTRIES:

#79. Lil Tjay - F.N.
#78. Lana Del Rey - f*** It I Love You
#76. BROCKHAMPTON - NO HALO
#54. The 1975 - People
#46. 5 Seconds Of Summer - Teeth
#27. Taylor Swift - Cruel Summer
#21. Taylor Swift - The Man

Even though it has that one line about Tjay wishing his former friend got hit by a bus, F.N. does have some decent piano lines and a solid 2nd verse showing Tjay's struggles growing up.

f*** It I Love You is a melancholy guitar song dealing with heartbreak, with Lana bringing her usual whispery vocal style.
I really like the part at the end where there is a use of call and response between Lana saying the name of the song and the haunting sound of the BVOX.

Brockhampton have finally managed to snag their first charting single in the UK, and it's the opening track from their latest album GINGER.
NO HALO carries a downbeat guitar line, but it also has some energetic flows from the members in their verses that make the track have a less melancholy sound to it than F**k It I Love You. The lyrics are really good in pointing out subtle looks into mental health, substance abuse and loneliness throughout. Thereís also some great call and response between Deb Neverís ďIím sure Iíll find itĒ and Merlyn Wood in the chorus to emphasise the fact that even in our lowest points in life, thereís still hope out there. Most of what I heard from Brockhamptonís verses are done in a through-composed structure (examples of this include BOOGIE, WEIGHT and HEAT), but there are a few times where a chorus does have a presence (like in TOKYO and JíOUVERT, though the latter has the chorus done halfway through and then at the end). NO HALO fits into the latter, and has a great chorus.

Iíll just let this clip sum up how I felt right after the first listen of this next song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeZEMKngzMY
(I was going to use the ďFor Those Wondering If Iím ImpressedĒ clip, but I eventually settled with this one.)
-
People is angsty, rebellious and shouty in all the right places while successfully throwing shots at politics. Itís not the type of sound I expected from The 1975, but they weirdly fit well into it. From tackling the problems of social media last year with their 2018 album A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships to talking about politics in this one, Iím starting to get the feeling that this band is becoming more serious in their lyrical content with each passing album. If this is the sound that Notes On A Conditional Form will be leaning onto, then I am really hyped to listen this. Also, "Well, my generation wanna f*** Barack Obama. Living in a sauna with legal marijuana" is one of their most weirdly amazing lines next to the very opening lines of Love It If We Made It.

5SOS are back with a new song called Teeth, which, like the LAUV and Anne-Marie collab, is taken from the soundtrack for the forthcoming 3rd season of teen drama 13 Reasons Why. Iím halfway through the 1st season of this show and I can say that it has a fantastic mystery element and also presents the transitions between present time and past time like in The Haunting Of Hill House really well.
Anyway, this song starts with a good olí bassline before gradually building up with a great amount of rock power (and speaking of which, Tom Morello of Rage Against The Machine is one of the guitarists in this song), which eventually leads up to roaring guitars in the chorus that backs up the lustful lyrics in it. I also like that interpolation of the vocal melody from Rihannaís 2007 hit Shut Up And Drive in the pre-chorus. In the end, this overtook Youngblood as my favourite 5SOS song.

Weíre ending this week off with two new entries from Taylor Swiftís brand new album Lover. Both Cruel Summer and The Man have a nice, catchy synthpop vibe to them. The former ends up being a good listen despite some cheesy lines, thereís also a good use of a vocoder noise in the mix that reminds me of the one used in the beginning of P!nkís Walk Me Home from earlier this year. The latter serves as a great look at gender inequality in our society, and the hypocrisy contained within it.

This was such a great week overall with nearly half of the songs on there being fantastic. My fave of the week would have to go to NO HALO by BROCKHAMPTON, with honorable mention going to People by The 1975.
My least fave of the week would have to be F.N. by Lil Tjay.

#79. Lil Tjay - F.N. [6/10] (Least Fave Of The Week)
#78. Lana Del Rey - f*** It I Love You [8/10]
#76. BROCKHAMPTON - NO HALO [GOLD] (Fave Of The Week)
#54. The 1975 - People [GOLD] (FOTW HM)
#46. 5 Seconds Of Summer - Teeth [GOLD]
#27. Taylor Swift - Cruel Summer [7/10]
#21. Taylor Swift - The Man [GOLD]

+Quote Post
Polly Planturret
post Wednesday, 02:11 PM
Post #48
   No Gallery Pics

12/09/2019

#100. Blossoms - Your Girlfriend
#95. Kano - Teardrops
#93. Ava Max - Torn
#89. A$AP Rocky - Babushka Boi
#88. Benny Blanco & Juice WRLD - Graduation
#86. Lil Tecca - Love Me
#84. Lil Tecca - Did It Again
#82. Cadet - Gang Gang
#70. Kano feat. Kojo Funds - Pan-Fried
#67. Jax Jones & Tove Lo - Jacques
#62. RAYE - Love Me Again
#53. Deno feat. DigDat - Change
#44. Lana Del Rey - Norman f***ing Rockwell
#11. Post Malone - Circles

Your Girlfriend's lyrics might seem like itís an "Imma steal your girl" song upon first look, and hearing artists brag about that don't usually work well most of the time.
However, Tom Ogden puts on a nice, charming personality over some bubbly synth rock production, making for an enjoyable listen.

The last I heard of Kano was back in 2016 with his Made In The Manor album. I thought it was great and it was a shame that none of the singles from that LP charted in the Top 100. Well, at least we have these two entries from his new album Hoodies All Summer (both earning him his first time in the Top 100 as a lead artist in nine years; the last one being Upside with Michelle Breeze back in 2010) to make up for that.
In Teardrops, Kano talks about a good range of topics in both of his verses, such as the justice system being corrupt, how bigots will continue throwing hate no matter how much people of these targeted groups achieve or inspire in their lives, and people dreaming ambitious things only to waste the potential to receive them all on blowing their money on jewellery for the sake of bragging. He does so with really good, energetic flows over a syncopated beat and a dark, echoing vocal sample. The only small issue has to be the transition between the chorus and the 2nd verse feeling a bit too sudden, but other than that, it's still a fantastic rap track.
Pan-Fried starts off with a nice steel drum line with both Kano and Kojo giving off good verses. The steel drums carry on in the 1st verse where I'm waiting for the beat to come in. Eventually, it does so, but the pleasant steel drums are replaced with this relatively high-pitched sample, and it becomes distracting while trying to listen to the interesting stuff Kano's saying. The steel drums finally come back in the chorus, but there's no percussion. Percussion comes back and the instrumentation switches up again, and the steel drums finally blend in with the slow, natural beat and the high-pitched sample (the latter of which is no longer a distraction thanks to the steel drum addition) near the end. It could've been better, but for what it is, it's quite swell.
Both of these tracks leave me excited for what Kano has to offer on his new album.

Torn is a song about Ava wanting to leave a relationship, but keeps coming back due to the pros her partner carries to weigh out the negatives.
There is some good production to fit the moody tone of the song (it sounds different from her previous two Top 40 singles) and I like the "Oh no!" backing vocals in the chorus to emphasise Avaís need to leave and close the door. I'm not too fond of the part in the pre-chorus where she says that she likes the way her partner 'rocks [her] body', because that isn't a very good justification for staying in a flavourless relationship (maybe I might be nitpicking at this point).

Babushka Boi takes a sample of Da Crime Click's 1995 track You Hoes Gone Get Kidnapped, pitches it down and blends it with some catchy cowbell sounds. There's also some really good verses from A$AP, with him relishing in his dominance and making contrasts between gangster life in his verses and playboy luxuries in the outro.

The last time Benny Blanco and Juice WRLD collaborated was earlier this year with Roses, which I thought was okay. Now they are back with a trap rework of Vitamin C's 1999 song Graduation. The original, while it sounds cheesy, serves as a nice message saying that even though close friends in high school may not see each other again after they leave, they'll never forget the cherished moments they spent together. A cynical take on school life might have worked, Taylor Swift did it well recently with Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince. The 2nd half of the 2nd verse did do a decent job at doing so, but other than that, the end result wasn't that good.
I feel like the C major key of the chorus doesn't fit Juice's vocal range as he sounds like he's yelling at this higher range (doesn't sound as unintentionally hilarious as he did in Robbery though), and therefore, the key could have been transposed a bit lower. The 1st verse is filled with brags that don't work very well and there was a Jungle Fever reference in the 2nd verse that didn't come out well.

This week, we have two new entries from Lil Teccaís new mixtape We Love You Tecca. The first one is Love Me. I think itís okay. It has a pleasant sounding summertime vibe to it. The other one is Did It Again. The piano blends in smoothly with the trap beat in this one and while there are a few ridiculous lines, Tecca rides the beat quite well.

This week, we have a posthumous release from Cadet (May he rest in peace). Gang Gang shows Cadet rap over a syncopated drill style beat with some elements of lyrical content found in drill (e.g. started from a low point in life and got bigger and at the top of the game, along with mentions of weapon types), but does so from the perspective of a policeman. He does an excellent job tackling police brutality, as well as the politicians' attempts to ban drill (which Krept And Konan also did a marvellous job at tackling a few months back).
It reminds me of Joyner Lucasí magnificent 2017 effort Iím Not Racist (both music videos have a similar setting with these two people sitting opposite each other on a table), in which he does a breakdown of the racial, political divide between black and white and he does a fantastic job at rapping from the perspective of both sides with almost every line being gripping. It does work better with the music video though. The main difference between the two is that Gang Gang is just done from the policemanís perspective.

Jacques sees Jax Jones return to his minimal house sound that he put on in House Work back in 2016. We also have Tove Lo, whose lyrics have this lustful vibe to them, but the production fits them nicely. The repetition of ĎJacquesí in the post-chorus is also pretty catchy and enhances the electronic experience of the song.

RAYE is back with her first single as a lead artist in quite awhile with Love Me Again. First, we had Lil Tecca's Love Me, and then we have RAYE's Love Me Again. Can't wait for next week when someone enters the chart with Love Me Three Times.
The song opens up with some nice organ chords before switching to a smooth drum line, along with some hints of a bassline. These instruments come together in a chorus to create a swell sounding combination.
The song sees RAYE look back on a previous relationship and the good times they spent together, and then she rings him up to suggest what she should do for them to get back together. While I think they should move on from it, RAYE has stated in the lyrics that she has tried her best to do so but has failed. There is that one ridiculous line in which all the others that have touched her have felt her go cold, but other than that, Itís a decent song overall.

Change has Deno and DigDat show appreciation towards their mothers and thank them for the support they've given them. Both of their parts are solid, though the latter throws in some brags that donít fit in with the topic of the song. The piano line sounds melancholic and blends with the trap beat, with most of the lyrical content fitting with the tone of the instrumentation.

Norman f***ing Rockwell does a really good job at setting the mostly downbeat tone of Lana Del Reyís album of the same name. Jack Antanoffís production makes this feel orchestral with the piano line complementing both the string arrangements and Lanaís whispery alto vocal style. The lyrics also have a great poetic vibe to them and fit the tone of the song nicely.

Circles sees Post Malone looking back on a relationship and how he and his partner failed to make it work. This is backed up by some melancholy sounding guitars over a drum line, with the way they blend together reminding me of Currents-era Tame Impala (particularly Let It Happen and The Less I Know The Better).

My Fave Of The Week goes to Teardrops by Kano. As for the honorable mention, there were a couple of contenders, but I eventually settled for Gang Gang by Cadet.
Least Fave goes to Graduation by Benny Blanco & Juice WRLD. It was close to mixed bag territory though.

#100. Blossoms - Your Girlfriend [8/10]
#95. Kano - Teardrops [GOLD] (Fave Of The Week)
#93. Ava Max - Torn [7/10]
#89. A$AP Rocky - Babushka Boi [9/10]
#88. Benny Blanco & Juice WRLD - Graduation [5/10] (Least Fave Of The Week)
#86. Lil Tecca - Love Me [6/10]
#84. Lil Tecca - Did It Again [7/10]
#82. Cadet - Gang Gang [9/10] (FOTW HM)
#70. Kano feat. Kojo Funds - Pan-Fried [8/10]
#67. Jax Jones & Tove Lo - Jacques [8/10]
#62. RAYE - Love Me Again [7/10]
#53. Deno feat. DigDat - Change [7/10]
#44. Lana Del Rey - Norman f***ing Rockwell [9/10]
#11. Post Malone - Circles [9/10]

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2019 - 06:08 AM