BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Is the COVID-19 pandemic the biggest news story of your life, A BuzzJack Poll
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Is the COVID-19 pandemic the biggest news story of your life?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 34
Guests cannot vote 
p a v
post 20th January 2021, 10:06 AM
Post #21
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jan 20 2021, 11:47 AM) *
Some things changed after September 11 but most of the changes were short-term or had little impact on most people’s day-to-day lives.

I cannot even imagine how it felt to be Muslim in America especially right after 9/11. I believe that without it the racism situation would've been somewhat less extreme at the moment.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Houdini
post 20th January 2021, 10:09 AM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,725

I voted yes. But as others have mentioned 9/11, Diana's death, EU Referendum vote & result were also massive. One story no one has mentioned yet is the July 7 2005 London bombings which was a huge story I will never forget.

+Quote this post
Houdini
post 20th January 2021, 10:13 AM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Also I don't know where else to say this but is anyone going to watch Joe Biden's innaugaration today?

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 20th January 2021, 10:14 AM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Echo the comments about that week in mid-March, unprecedented, unbelievable, out of this world or (other-worldly perhaps is a better description).

This post has been edited by Dobbo.: 20th January 2021, 10:15 AM

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 20th January 2021, 10:24 AM
Post #25
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

QUOTE(Houdini @ Jan 20 2021, 10:09 AM) *
One story no one has mentioned yet is the July 7 2005 London bombings which was a huge story I will never forget.

Actually that’s a valid one because unless I am mistaken there hasn’t been a more media covered terrorist attack on UK soil than what happened on that day and I can still mentally see the image of the double decker bus with its roof blown off.

The only other UK terrorist attack that I would suggest comes close to being a big media covered one would be the bomber at the Ariana Grande concert in Manchester. That still feels quite raw even in 2021.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 20th January 2021, 10:49 AM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(Botchia @ Jan 20 2021, 10:01 AM) *
I just noticed all of the government briefings / news specials are on iPlayer going back to the first one on 16 March.

Can't wait to catch up with the series, I missed what happened x

I think I'll give that box set a miss cry.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 20th January 2021, 10:58 AM
Post #27
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

QUOTE(Houdini @ Jan 20 2021, 10:09 AM) *
I voted yes. But as others have mentioned 9/11, Diana's death, EU Referendum vote & result were also massive. One story no one has mentioned yet is the July 7 2005 London bombings which was a huge story I will never forget.

7/7 was a massive one for me as someone that lives in London, I was a bit older than I was when 9/11 happened so remember it more clearly. The whole school was basically on lockdown and our parents had to come and pick us up!

+Quote this post
danG
post 20th January 2021, 11:18 AM
Post #28
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

come to think of it, 7/7 was probably the first big news event I was conscious of, especially with me living in London at the time and I’d have been 7 years old by then.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 20th January 2021, 11:38 AM
Post #29
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

For sure. You know it's an enormous deal when something as significant as Brexit was buried below it in the news. March last year felt like some kind of parallel universe when I took a walk to the doctors in completely empty streets and had to ring to even get inside. That's when it hit. 10 months later and life has not been the same since. We're living through history each day and this uncertain period of time will continue to impact future generations.

Not on the same level but for sheer ubiquity the Madeline McCann case is the first news story I remember that was EVERYWHERE. I was only 9 at that point with a casual interest in the news and both Maddie's disappearance and the credit crunch seemed like my introduction to stories that had blighted the happiness of the world, due to how much they were constantly mentioned in a negative way. I must've been too young and sheltered to remember the big 00s terrorist attacks at the time. Anyway, for a period of time she was on the news each day and newspapers would experience a spike in sales just because she was on the front cover. Of course, it's still talked about today in terms of funding or new suspects. Then you have the conspiracies away from mainstream media.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 20th January 2021, 12:04 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Maddie is a good call for something aside from terrorism/disaster news. Also Holly Wells & Jessica Chapman was a massive case a few years prior that was absolutely everywhere on the news. The fact I can still ring their names off all these years later shows how ingrained it was.

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 20th January 2021, 12:10 PM
Post #31
Group icon

For those of us who were alive in the 90’s, apart from the aforementioned tragic death of Princess Diana in 1997, what other major news stories happened in that decade that you can recall?

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 20th January 2021, 12:23 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Not a great deal as I was only 7 at the turn of the millennium but I do remember the millennium bug debate.

+Quote this post
Houdini
post 20th January 2021, 12:30 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(awardinary @ Jan 20 2021, 12:10 PM) *
For those of us who were alive in the 90’s, apart from the aforementioned tragic death of Princess Diana in 1997, what other major news stories happened in that decade that you can recall?

The Bill Clinton/Monica Lewinsky scandal was one of the first news stories I remember but at the time I didn't understand the full meaning of it. The murder of Jill Dando was something that scared the living daylights out of me as a child and was on the news a lot.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 20th January 2021, 12:31 PM
Post #34
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(awardinary @ Jan 20 2021, 12:10 PM) *

The Millenium Bug for sure.

David Beckham getting sent off in 1998 World Cup was also a pretty big story that was everywhere for a long time that I remember (I was only a youngling around this time too).

I agree with Dobbo too, while the Maddie McCann thing is still big to this day and has a cultural impact, I think at the time it wasn't anywhere near as big as when Holly & Jessica went missing. I can still remember the image of them in the Manchester United shirts.

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 20th January 2021, 12:50 PM
Post #35
Group icon

QUOTE(Dobbo. @ Jan 20 2021, 12:23 PM) *
Not a great deal as I was only 7 at the turn of the millennium but I do remember the millennium bug debate.

QUOTE(Rooney @ Jan 20 2021, 12:31 PM) *
The Millenium Bug for sure.

David Beckham getting sent off in 1998 World Cup was also a pretty big story that was everywhere for a long time that I remember (I was only a youngling around this time too).

The millennium bug saga was just a farce wasn’t it. I remember going into the new millennium at 14 years old wondering what catastrophic event was about to unfold... then nothing. No computers fried no robot zombies took over and no terminator style world existed. laugh.gif

Oh yes that Beckham red card was a moment I remember vividly, and I remember in my 12 year old innocent voice pleading with the referee not to give the red card but at the same time thinking why would one of my football stars do such a foolish thing! That moment was when the faint World Cup dream of France ‘98 ended for me.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 20th January 2021, 12:58 PM
Post #36
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

I’ve said unsure because it is and it isn’t. In terms of events that have directly affected me, absolutely yes. Life has not been the same since last March and I feel like lots of other negative things have spun off this, for example I’m currently struggling with my parents as this has all lead to me opening my eyes to some of their views I never realised they held.

But as a ‘news event’, i dont think it feels as massive because it’s been going on for such a long time and there was build up so it wasn’t a massive shock. Like I don’t know where I was when it all kicked off but I can tell you where I was when Diana died, 9/11 and the 7/7 bombings. Those events had no build up and were complete shocks.

+Quote this post
dhwe
post 20th January 2021, 01:25 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 21,384

I think yes, but we'll need probably a decade to realize the full scale of it and process it and compare it to 9/11. I can still remember the exact day that 9/11 happened (kids being taken out of school by their parents, being only one of about seven people left in my class at the end of the day, my dad picking me up and telling me what happened and watching the news all night), and it'll always be the defining generational event for people around my age. I imagine this is the defining generational event for those about 10-15 years younger than me. but the way it's been so drawn out feels like it's a slower, longer 9/11, which in many ways is a lot worse.

This post has been edited by dhwhore: 20th January 2021, 01:27 PM

+Quote this post
calxyum
post 20th January 2021, 02:49 PM
Post #38
Group icon
my caviar brings all the lords to the court~
User: 20,799

With the way that it has dominated all news for the last year I’d have to say yes. The only other story I can think of that is even slightly comparable is Brexit with the length of time that it was dragged out for.

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 20th January 2021, 04:08 PM
Post #39
Group icon

Sorry to digress again but this thread has opened up a lot of ideas and wonders about life in the last few years and decades...

I started to wonder what would be considered the biggest natural disaster or weather phenomenon that I’ve lived through. It might be inhumane to measure natural disasters, especially if you only take into account the death toll. But in terms of largest event or most media coverage... I would recall the Boxing Day Tsunami in 2004, Hurricane Katrina in 2005 which destroyed much of New Orleans, and the earthquake in Haiti in 2010. I remember seeing those events reported in the news and they seem to be the main ones that I remember for whatever reasons. Of course there were other major hurricanes in the past such as Hurricane Andrew in the 90’s but that was not something I knew much of as a child.

Perhaps the closest to home in recent years which was not a natural disaster but is up there with some of the most tragic events in recent years was the Grenfall tower fire in London and how publicised it became and how to showed up human errors and mismanagement.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 20th January 2021, 04:21 PM
Post #40
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

I guess it's not a singular 'news event' (and a large portion of it overlaps with COVID of course) but I'd say that the 5 year nightmare of increasingly absurd headlines about the Trump presidential campaign / administration is at least on par. Worth a mention if people are bringing up Brexit too - both were a lengthy campaign, a shocking vote result and years of increasingly absurd consequences.

I was too young to have any memories of 9/11 but I'll definitely always remember 7/7 as my mum was in London when it happened and that was an anxious moment waiting to contact her to make sure she was safe.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 02:34 AM