BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'GHV2' • album discussion, 2nd greatest hits album | 2001
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post 21st June 2020, 06:49 PM
Post #1
Group icon
User: 13,007

A place to discuss Madonna's 2nd greatest hits album 'GHV2'. Released in 2001.

1. Deeper and Deeper - 7" Edit
2. Erotica
3. Human Nature
4. Secret
5. Don't Cry For Me Argentina
6. Bedtime Story
7. The Power of Goodbye
8. Beautiful Stranger - William Orbit Radio Edit
9. Frozen - Edit
10. Take A Bow
11. Ray of Light
12. Don't Tell Me
13. What It Feels Like For A Girl
14. Drowned World / Substitute for Love
15. Music

What are your thoughts on this album? Share any opinions, memories, favourite songs, or just discuss it anytime you're re-listening!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 23rd June 2020, 06:58 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Gave this a listen earlier and it really captures the sound of the 90s albums brilliantly. There are some weird transitions (such as Drowned World going into Music and Argentina into Bedtime Story tearsmile.gif) but apart from that it's a brilliant collection of her hits in the years that led up to its release!

+Quote this post
vibe
post 23rd June 2020, 07:10 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
American Pie should have made this album !!

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 23rd June 2020, 07:15 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
I should like this more than I actually do. I love the cover so that's a good starting point. But it's just not something I ever return to... I don't care for the order of the track listing or the choice of songs - I don't think that Don't Cry For Me Argentina has any place on this at all, it just ruins the flow of the album. I don't care for the radio edits being included either.

Off the top of my head, I'd have preferred something like:

01 Erotica
02 Secret
03 Human Nature
04 Take A Bow
05 Deeper and Deeper
06 Bedtime Story
07 Drowned World / Substitute For Love
08 Ray of Light
09 Beautiful Stranger
10 Music
11 Don't Tell Me
12 Frozen
13 The Power of Good-Bye
14 Nothing Really Matters
15 What It Feels Like For A Girl
16 I'll Remember
17 American Pie
18 NEW TRACK PLEASE!

Although I think it actually doesn't cover enough eras for it to be warranted. I'd have rather seen something through from Erotica to Confessions.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 24th June 2020, 06:36 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Dandy that tracklist would work so much more effectively! As I said, the songs are amazing but the ordering is off in the original version. I may create a playlist using your ordering tongue.gif

+Quote this post
vibe
post 24th June 2020, 08:25 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
You’ll See should have been included it was a huge hit.

Shame it didn’t even make Celebration.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 26th June 2020, 07:40 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
I had a listen to this in full today and my God what is that tracking list? tearsmile.gif It starts off great, I really like the order of 'Deeper & Deeper' through to 'Secret', but 'Argentina' to 'Ray of Light' is some bizarre sequencing. I agree with Dandy in that 'Argentina' should just not have been on there. I know it's there to represent 'Evita' but it sticks out too much wherever you place it.

It is hard trying to decide on a tracking list that works though. The material across this time period is so varied, it's not like it's wall-to-wall party hits like it mostly is on 'The Immaculate Collection'. I've took the parts I liked (the order of the first four tracks and 'Music' as a finale) and built it up from there and I've come with this:

1) Deeper & Deeper
2) Erotica
3) Human Nature
4) Secret
5) Rain
6) Take a Bow
7) Bedtime Story
8) Ray of Light
9) Frozen
10) The Power of Goodbye
11) Nothing Really Matters
12) Beautiful Stranger
13) Don't Tell Me
14) What It Feels Like For a Girl
15) Music

As well as 'Argentina', 'Drowned World' had to go unfortunately; I don't think it quite works in a greatest hits setting and tbf it was probably the least successful single from 'Ray of Light'. It gets replaced with 'Nothing Really Matters' and 'Rain' is added too.

It would have been nice to have had a new song or two, but it seems Madonna was too busy filming Swept Away so wouldn't have had a chance to promote a single. I think the main purpose of this was to capitalise on the renewed interest in Madonna. It didn't seem like Madonna was that bothered about the collection either - in the promotion she did do, it seems very half-arsed. There seemed to be tensions with her label too (the 'Impressive Instant' vs. 'Amazing' situation, 'American Pie' being added as a bonus track to 'Music' which Madonna says she was reluctant to do and is why the song doesn't appear on this collection).

I think the biggest injustice here is that the title 'Greatest Hits: The Second Coming' was rejected. That is such a good name to follow 'The Immaculate Collection' with!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 26th June 2020, 07:42 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
I do like the megamix that was produced to promote the collection in the clubs:

That transition from 'Secret' to 'Frozen' is a highlight!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 01:55 PM