BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mer Girl vs Promise to Try vs Mother and Father
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Mer Girl vs Promise to Try vs Mother and Father
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 10
Guests cannot vote 
HausofKubrick
post Jan 3 2016, 10:28 PM
Post #1
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

Apologies for the morbid subject matter but i've been thinking quite a bit about Madonna and her family life recently, and these three songs are perhaps the most open and raw songs about something that affected Madonna and subsequently her entire career: the death of her mother. Her mother died of breast cancer when she was 5 years old and that has impacted on some of her lyrics and songwriting particularly in these 3 songs. In these songs, all quite different, she explores the effect of losing her mother on herself and her music.

'Mer Girl' through it's lyrics reveals the harsh vividness in which she reflects on the loss "And I smelled her burning flesh/Her rotting bones, her decay/I ran and I ran/I'm still running away.".

'Promise to Try' has a more nostalgic quality and a longing to remember. The lyrics, "Does she hear my voice in the night when I call?" depict her struggle to remember her mother and to envisage her "smile frozen in time".

Finally 'Mother and Father' represents a way of Madonna letting go of the sadness of her mother's death and moving on from it. It's a totally different sound to the previous too.

There are many more songs and moments that centre or reveal thoughts on this sensitive matter, but i've chosen 3 of the most explicit. Was going to include 'Oh Father' but I decided to have it focused very closely on this one subject matter. Depressing I know, but there is a vast amount of beauty and hope to be found in these incredible songs.

Vote for your favourite one in the poll and if you can, rank the three of them in the thread below! Also discuss any other favourite songs or lyrics that help to explore this matter.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RosaParksMyCar
post Jan 3 2016, 10:36 PM
Post #2
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Group: Members
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

Mother And Father is gash. Most of that album is actually.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Jan 3 2016, 10:45 PM
Post #3

'Promise to Try' is the obvious one for me. It's heartbreakingly beautiful and moves me without fail every time I listen to it.

I do actually enjoy 'Mother and Father' so no shade please teresa.gif

+Quote Post
RosaParksMyCar
post Jan 3 2016, 11:07 PM
Post #4
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
   No Gallery Pics

All things wrong with it:

The Vocals
The Lyrics
The Production
The Rapping
THE f***ING BABY VOICES

Promise To Try is stunning though.

+Quote Post
Qween
post Jan 3 2016, 11:50 PM
Post #5
Schlagerdrottningen
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

I, on the other hand, ADORE Mother & Father. Particularly the incredible live version which strips it back to the great song at the core.

Promise To Try is excellent too, I just think it pales somewhat compared to the towering highs of the parent album. Mer Girl is just dull as.

+Quote Post
RosaParksMyCar
post Jan 4 2016, 04:17 PM
Post #6
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
   No Gallery Pics

Shouldn't Oh Father be here too?

+Quote Post
vibe
post Jan 4 2016, 06:33 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

1. Oh father
2. Mer Girl
3. Promise To Try

Such amazing tracks !!!! I love all of them to bits , stunning .

4. Mother and Father (although the RIT version is sublime).

This post has been edited by vibe: Jan 4 2016, 06:34 PM

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Jan 4 2016, 06:39 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Alejandjob @ Jan 4 2016, 04:17 PM) *
Shouldn't Oh Father be here too?

Read the OP mad.gif I left it out to make it even more specific. And it would have SWEPT the poll and got all the votes, making it pointless so I thought we could appreciate 3 of the lesser known odes-to-her-Mother tongue.gif

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Jan 5 2016, 06:34 PM
Post #9

More votes please happy.gif

+Quote Post
RosaParksMyCar
post Jan 5 2016, 06:43 PM
Post #10
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
   No Gallery Pics

Maybe if you put Oh Father here you would get more votes~

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Jan 5 2016, 09:26 PM
Post #11
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

'Promise To Try' by far! wub.gif

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jan 28 2016, 06:21 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

I feel like there's a really deep meaning behind 'Mer Girl', like it's a poem where there's a reason behind each and every piece of imagery, but I'm just not getting it. I get the impression she's trying to find her true self or that she's reaching an epiphany whilst in a dream (the constant running and abandoning of every day activities feels like a dream to me) but that's as deep as it gets for me.

'Promise to Try' is, to me, Madonna's struggle of wanting to treasure her mother's memory but wanting to let go of the pain of her not being here now, yet the two just come hand in hand. The simple grand piano melody compliments Madonna's raw and honest vocals so well and makes for a quite emotionally draining listen (in a good way).

The above two songs have notably stripped back production to both set the mood and allow you to focus on the lyrics, but 'Mother and Father' isn't so obvious with the lyrics under an electro-poppy disguise. It highlights all of Madonna's negative thoughts including her resentment of her father but she realises she needs to let all of that go to be able to truly move on. There's almost a frustration that she's tried numerous times to put her mind at peace but it keeps coming back to haunt her and so, once and for all, she has to both forgive and forget, not one or the other. The live version is also fantastic. Don't suppose anyone else noticed the similarities between the introduction to this and Kylie's 'Fever'?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:01 PM