BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Do you think we’ll ever get another album?, Or is the current tour the very very end?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Mr.X
post 12th June 2019, 08:52 AM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

QUOTE(pippa @ Jun 11 2019, 08:13 PM) *
Ariana Grande, current artist, big hits and her last album has still only sold around 230,000 so in those terms Steps did very well.
Madonna's last album sold 85,000 and i don't use these sales as a contest it is more to highlight the market changes.

If those sales are the standard now, then they would be fine, I think! They are clearly a highly successful touring act, so they need to get over the charts bit and just go for it!

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Jun 12 2019, 06:22 AM) *
^ Steps!

Ah for a split second I was quite optimistic lol wub.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 12th June 2019, 01:37 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Jun 11 2019, 11:05 PM) *
WHO? Steps or Spices? blink.gif

Spice Girls yahoo.gif

Sorry I meant Steps tongue.gif

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 12th June 2019, 01:46 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031

Doubt they will ever do another full album. They also won’t be successful like they were anyway as they are from a different generation now.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 12th June 2019, 02:16 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

From today's reports on the animated movie, it seems like we might get some new songs with it as well anyway...

If it does well, then I totally see them taking the extra step and record a new album wub.gif

+Quote this post
Piers
post 13th June 2019, 04:52 AM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521

The thought of that has seemed so impossible for so long. But obviously, I'd love for it to happen. I just wish they'd managed to work together from 2001-2010 or so...when they still had something of a shot at producing some hits. Madonna's not wrong when she claims the business is very ageist. The girls are unfortunately past that age ceiling...where artists are allowed to nab the top of the charts.

But against all odds, I think the girls' original solo work is actually fairly good even now. I'd actually love a new group album with songs on par with Baby, Please Don't Stop, Anymore and Love and Light.

I don't think the three group songs from the past 12 years are an indication of what they can do together. Headlines and Voodoo are a clear attempt to recreate the sound of the 1996 Spice Girls...even though the girls and their producers had long evolved from that sound. Song For Her is only an unreleased demo...only meant for a TV show theme apparently? We really have no idea what they could do if they spent some genuine studio time together.

+Quote this post
isanka
post 13th June 2019, 07:21 AM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 88,486

I would like but without Geri voice.

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post 13th June 2019, 01:43 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574

I think if the album got to number 1 which would be very likely it wouldn't matter too much what it's overall sales are. We all know they aren't going to sell millions of records again in today's market. Another number 1 album that went Gold would be considered a success today. I'd like to think they could achieve platinum though with the right single choices and promo.

Obviously the first single would need to be something big and pop and upbeat. Just to hear those four voices together on a new record is such an exciting thought. I hope they they grab the opportunity and that Forever isn't the the final Spice Girls studio album.

+Quote this post
Blond 2.0
post 13th June 2019, 02:12 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,576

I hope so but Mel C doesn't want to blink.gif

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 13th June 2019, 05:52 PM
Post #29
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

I think, as Geri herself has said on more than several occasions since 2007, 'You can never say never'. I know that's cliched as hell but it's true. Let's be honest, after the 2007/2008 reunion, no one thought this tour would happen eleven years ago, right? I do agree with what Jay said in so far as this seems to be the tour where they've all genuinely enjoyed it and enjoyed being back in their Spice bubble and actually being...well...Spice Girls. And they actually work in this four piece which I didn't think was going to be possible. The spirit and the ethos and the energy is still there and it's clear for all to see. And more importantly there's now a new generation who've discovered them. I gave my 8 year old niece a copy of their greatest hits for her last birthday and my sister says she often requests it to go on in the car before school. If that's not crossing the generations and spreading girl power, then I don't know what is.

That said, I do have a hunch that certain members might want to leave it as it is after this tour ends. And that's OK too. Obviously it'd be better if they did have some new stuff to make touring on this scale possible in the future, but I think really we should just all embrace what comes next regardless of what happens. I mean if they did decide to do new stuff and it was good quality there'd still be a sizeable market for it. This intense snobbery towards acts from their time, some of whom weren't on the same global scale they were - Steps, All Saints etc - releasing new stuff and still touring and being viewed as a 'heritage act' isn't to be sniffed at, or underestimated. It's a very powerful thing. Sure, everything has it's imperial moment but it doesn't mean it's widely irrelevant once that passes. Music connects whatever the era or however much time passes.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 16th June 2019, 12:25 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Apparently at the final date Melanie C said something about Biff co-writing Mama "and if we do anymore songs we will be writing with him" or something along those lines...

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 16th June 2019, 07:39 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

I think right now everything is on the table.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 16th June 2019, 09:18 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I would hope they would write a bit with the old crew but also with new, more current producers... Doesn't have to be Diplo or similar, but even producers who work on current pop tracks would be good I think...

Again, a new take on the disco sound of Never Give Up On The Good Times would be a good idea I think

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 16th June 2019, 09:48 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Jun 16 2019, 10:18 PM) *
I would hope they would write a bit with the old crew but also with new, more current producers... Doesn't have to be Diplo or similar, but even producers who work on current pop tracks would be good I think...

Again, a new take on the disco sound of Never Give Up On The Good Times would be a good idea I think

I hope to dear god they don't work with Diplo! Her cover of Wannabe is horrendous! sick2.gif

I'd be up for the old producers, if they could come up with songs as strong as Stop and Say you'll be there etc then that's bloody amazing! Max Martin would be a good different producer for them he writes incredible pop tunes...

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 17th June 2019, 08:42 AM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

Don’t get me wrong I’m TOTALLY here for new Spice Girls music but I don’t think the general public are? This tour has been wildly successful, had mass media and social media exposure from the start and I’m kind of bothered that playing to over 700,000 people that hasn’t translated into sales and streams and returned the GH back to even the Top 10 (And in Spice terms it’s not been a massive seller that everyone already owns), I think for many/most this was simply a nostalgia night out and that’s where it ends for them?

+Quote this post
tommie
post 17th June 2019, 11:21 AM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

QUOTE(___∆___ @ Jun 17 2019, 08:42 AM) *
Don’t get me wrong I’m TOTALLY here for new Spice Girls music but I don’t think the general public are? This tour has been wildly successful, had mass media and social media exposure from the start and I’m kind of bothered that playing to over 700,000 people that hasn’t translated into sales and streams and returned the GH back to even the Top 10 (And in Spice terms it’s not been a massive seller that everyone already owns), I think for many/most this was simply a nostalgia night out and that’s where it ends for them?

Eh, the Greatest Hits went all the way to #16 (at this point) and considering that it's been the physical sales that's continually let it down these past few weeks I don't think that's too bad - they've been horrible with stocking their old music in stores (Spice World re-charted in the top 200 with 0 physical copies sold). The Greatest Hits will likely pass 600k this week.

This post has been edited by tommie: 17th June 2019, 11:21 AM

+Quote this post
McAndrew
post 17th June 2019, 11:44 AM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,551

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Jun 16 2019, 01:25 PM) *
Apparently at the final date Melanie C said something about Biff co-writing Mama "and if we do anymore songs we will be writing with him" or something along those lines...

I heard Melanie's shout out. But I heard something more along the lines of "There's someone here who helped write many of these songs... Biff Stannard. Thank you. We love you."

Personally, I didn't hear mention of future songs. But I hope I'm wrong.

+Quote this post
Blond 2.0
post 17th June 2019, 01:56 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,576

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Jun 16 2019, 07:39 PM) *
I think right now everything is on the table.

This cool.gif

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 17th June 2019, 06:46 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Michael Andrew @ Jun 17 2019, 12:44 PM) *
I heard Melanie's shout out. But I heard something more along the lines of "There's someone here who helped write many of these songs... Biff Stannard. Thank you. We love you."

Personally, I didn't hear mention of future songs. But I hope I'm wrong.

cry.gif I hope you're wrong laugh.gif

I'm only repeating what I saw on facebook laugh.gif

+Quote this post
pippa
post 18th June 2019, 01:30 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

If it is ever going to happen it will follow from this reunion.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 12:56 PM