BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Pick your Premier League XI of the season, (and various other awards/tidbits)
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Dobbo
post Jul 29 2020, 12:30 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053
So this is something I enjoy doing & comparing to create some discussion. Pick your team of the year then your shouts for various other criteria I've come up with including Player of the season, manager of the year etc. I've added a bit of commentary for my own picks.

Team of the season

Player of the season

Young player of the season

Manager of the season

Best buy of the season

Biggest flop of the season

Moment of the season

Feel free to add others!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Jul 29 2020, 12:36 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Team of the season

Henderson (close between him & Pope but just edges it for a standout season)

Alexander-Arnold (no questions asked)
Maguire (controversial perhaps but he played every minute & was a big part of our top 4 push towards season end when we shored up the defence)
Van Dijk (again, pretty obvious)
Robertson (by default really)

De Bruyne (obviously)
Henderson (lynchpin of the title winning team)
Martial (been a critic of his in the past but he came proper good this season)

Aubameyang (22 goals in a shite Arsenal side is hella impressive)
Vardy (won the golden boot so can't be omitted)
Mane (toss up between him & Salah but he scored more important goals)

Very attacking but isn't that what all XIs are! Shout outs to Fernandes for nearly getting in despite only joining in Jan & Ings for proving many people wrong (myself included) about his scoring ability!

Player of the season
KDB - not even a question imo. On another level to any other player this season.

Alexander-Arnold - what a CV of accolades he's already got at his tender age! Greenwood deserves a shout-out too, unreal breakthrough year.

Manager of the season
Klopp - begrudgingly wink.gif Wilder is a very close second.

Best buy of the season
Fernandes - he was literally the sole reason for our season turning around. Wan-Bissaka & Pulisic honourable mentions.

Joelinton - has to be. Love that when Toon finally part with some big money this is who they got. Shout outs also to Ndombele & Pepe who were both awful after the hype & price tags.

Moment of the season
Has to be Norwich's 3-2 win over City, I still think that's the greatest PL shock of all time in terms of a single match.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post Jul 29 2020, 01:39 PM
Post #3
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88
Team of the season

Pope
Alexander-Arnold
Van Dijk
Fernandinho
Robertson

Henderson
de Bruyne
Fernandes

Mane
Aubameyang
Ings

Player of the Season

Henderson - KDB is undoubtedly the sexier player, but for a team who scores 99 points I don't see how it can't be a Liverpool player. He has been unreal this season for Liverpool and easily Liverpool's most important player.

Young Player of the Season

Trent Alexander-Arnold - the level of assists from a full back as a starting position is insane.

Manager of the Season

Jurgen Klopp - Wilder has done a fantastic job, but I'd struggle to find a logical argument rather than a romantic one that Klopp has not been the best manager this season.

Best buy of the Season

Fernandes transformed Man Utd's season so I'd find it hard to argue against him.

Nicolas Pepe - at £70m or whatever daft amount they paid for him, you would expect at least some level of consistency.

Moment of the season

From a personal perspective it was Liverpool's win at Leicester. That was when the title was won. However from a footballing perspective I would probably say Leicester 9-0 Southampton. Leicester began to believe their own hype and I think that was an important moment for Southampton.

+Quote this post
Houdini
post Jul 29 2020, 06:45 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,725
Team of the season

GK: Pope
Def: Alexander-Arnold, Van Dijk, Lundstram, Robertson
Mid: De Bruyne, Fernandes, Henderson
For: Vardy, Ings, Aubameyang

Player of the season

Kevin De Bruyne - He was involved in 33 goals scored during the Premier League season and was the top assist provider again with a record amount of 20. He was also the top scoring player on Fantasy for this season.

Alexander-Arnold - I couldn't think of anyone who would deserve this more than him, he was one of the best players of the season as a whole and it's hard to believe he is only 21

Manager of the season

Jurgen Klopp - It is definitely him after the way that he coached Liverpool to winning the league in such a convincing manner and he also won the manager of the month award 5 times during the season which I think is the most anyone has won in a single season. Chris Wilder would have been a shoe in for this if it wasn't for the way that Liverpool performed.

Best buy of the season

Bruno Fernandes - No doubt whatsoever about this, the difference he made to Manchester United was remarkable and in such an instantaneous way as well! Who knows what could have happened if he was there from the start of the season.

David Luiz - He's had his moments but he's largely been poor for Arsenal this season making numerous stupid mistakes for which he was rewarded with a contract extension! The 5 penalties he conceded in the league this season are the most anyone has conceded in a single season.

Moment of the season

I'll go for Southampton 0-9 Leicester as it was a historic scoreline and one that proved to be quite a turning point for both teams as the season went on.

An honourable mention would be Watford having 4 different managers this season and deciding to sack Nigel Pearson with two games remaining when they were above the relegation zone after Pearson guided them out of there in the first place only to drop back into the zone as soon as he left.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Jul 29 2020, 10:17 PM
Post #5
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
Pope

Alexander-Arnold
Van Dijk
Fernandinho
Robertson

De Bruyne
Fernandes
Henderson

Aubameyang
Ings
Mane

Player of the Season- Kevin De Bruyne

Young player of the season- Trent Alexander-Arnold

Manager of the season- Jurgen Klopp

Best buy of the season- Bruno Fernandes

Biggest flop of the season- Joelinton - £40m worth of something. Hoffenheim laughing all the way. Looked like a rabbit out of headlights when it came to scoring. special mentions go to Danny Drinkwater, a Premier League winner then dropped for reasons, Nicolas Pepe.

Moment of the season- Probably Southampton 0-9 Leicester City

Worst Starting XI

Roberto

David Luiz
Christoph Zimmermann
Alex Iwobi
Max Aarons

Danny Drinkwater
Tanguy Ndombele
Alex Tettey

Joelinton
Dominic Solanke
Andre Gray

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Jul 30 2020, 09:48 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Some good shouts here, I forgot to add in Goal of the Season. For me that would go to Son v. Burnley. Then completing my top 3 would be Ayew v. West Ham and De Bruyne v. Newcastle.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Jul 30 2020, 01:03 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
Is Wan Bissaka a centre back in your team Mack?

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Jul 30 2020, 02:34 PM
Post #8
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
QUOTE(Steve201 @ Jul 30 2020, 02:03 PM) *
Is Wan Bissaka a centre back in your team Mack?

Made an error there, Steve. Changed for Fernandinho.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Jul 30 2020, 04:39 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
Ah fair enough, was thinking it would be a different pairing, he has been excellent this year too to an extent.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Jul 30 2020, 04:56 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
He certainly has, very good tackling stats in particular. I'm sure he'd have been a shoo-in for RB of the season if a certain Trent wasn't on fire.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Jul 30 2020, 05:52 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
Yeh think his final ball is t quite as good but certainly pacy and an improvement!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:10 AM