BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The X Factor • Future Series?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post 29th July 2021, 10:57 AM
Post #21
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

I just found out that the winners of X Factor The Band (Real Like You) have over 1 million followers on TikTok?! Not sure if that will actually amount to much but that's a lot more of an online following than I would've predicted laugh.gif

Really not surprised by this news anyway, discourse surrounding the show nowadays seems to be either nostalgia for 'iconic' bad auditions 10+ years ago or on the opposite end, how toxic it was for people's mental health/careers. Maybe it could come back in the future with the theory that 20+ years hits the sweetest spot of nostalgia, but any time soon didn't feel realistic.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 29th July 2021, 11:17 AM
Post #22
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

It's been in decline for years and the pulling out all the stops to try and make it seem as impactful (voting becoming free and each voter getting 5 a night so they could say they were still getting high numbers, the winner's song becoming a charity song to get sales still and then a charity + collab to pick up existing fan sales) was not at all subtle and to be honest quite sad.

+Quote this post
Houdini
post 29th July 2021, 12:19 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,725

QUOTE(Rooney @ Jul 29 2021, 11:33 AM) *
I don't know, I'd disagree with that. Sure his influence is dwindling as Spotify, TikTok etc. have grown so unless you hold a large amount of influence with these platforms, it's hard to launch new artists.

The X Factor's decline started when he decided to jump ship to the USA version, the show never really recovered from that as the show was Simon. Imo the show always gained more credibility by actually launching artists who carved out successful careers, after 2014 the show never delivered again on that respect. People just grew tired of the formula. Not only that there is so much more on TV these days too, X Factor really decided to skew to a younger audience at the same time as streaming TV really took off and it was a gamble which never really paid off.

Coincidently the X Factor winner's single never went to #1 again after 2014. I think the peak period for the programme was around 2010, that was when it was everywhere in terms of cultural impact. Even if you didn't watch the show you would still be kept up to date somehow and the influence it had on the UK charts was massive. If an artist or group had a new single out on Sunday and they performed it on the live shows it would instantaneously jump up the iTunes chart. The sales for the winner's songs were crazy as well.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 29th July 2021, 01:14 PM
Post #24
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

It's about time really, from 2015 onwards it really felt like they were flogging a dead horse and aside from knowing who Louisa Johnson is I couldn't name a winner since 2013 (Sam Bailey) without looking them up!

Interesting to note how the impact of the winner's singles became lessened around the time streaming started to bed itself in properly.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 29th July 2021, 02:33 PM
Post #25
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

It died about 8 years ago, kind of them to get round to burying it.

It was good entertainment for ten years ago but it was always pretty awful how manipulated it all was and it’s amazing now to think they got away with so much. I much preferred Pop Idol as that was so much more stripped back and about the contestants rather than the judges.

It did give me both Matt Cardle and Rebecca Ferguson though so it gets points for that.

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 29th July 2021, 06:09 PM
Post #26
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

Let's be real here; beyond the Little Mix series, did anyone really care anymore? I know I didn't. I only found myself watching two subsequent series (2012 and 2015) because Olly Murs was co-hosting either Xtra or the main show.

There really is no place for it now. The Masked Singer has more than adequately filled its place for ITV and it's a lot more gentler viewing whilst still being entertaining during the winter months.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 29th July 2021, 07:03 PM
Post #27
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Sam Bailey's year (2013) was the last I was personally majorly invested in but even then the cracks were starting to show. The James Arthur/Ella Henderson year in 2012 is the last one that really felt like big deal water cooler TV to me.

I think the writing was really on the wall for the show in terms of its commercial viability though the week Louisa Johnson's single debuted at No.9. The track was a poor choice and Louisa should have been given a strong dance track, much like the Clean Bandit song she guested on the following year, but it was still a surprise that it did that badly.

I'm amazed it limped on for another three series' after that. Rak-Su were good winners and had a lot of potential that sadly never really materialised beyond their actually very good winner's single, but that's pretty much it.

I won't miss it tbh, I watched it out of habit but it got more predictable and formulaic as the years went by, and it essentially killed the Christmas No.1 battle in a way that has never really recovered from (Joe vs Rage aside!).

Still, some of my favourite acts came from the show, namely Leona Lewis and Little Mix, and the global success of One Direction was completely mindblowing.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 29th July 2021, 08:33 PM
Post #28
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

It was a big part of my growing up and I remember at school and in the papers, it was all anyone could talk about from around 2008-2010. It was certainly entertaining for a little bit, but it just became too blatantly manipulated and soulless for me to enjoy after a while, and the recent revelations from past contestants and the exploitation of clearly quite vulnerable people for entertainment just show that a show like this can't work in this day and age. Not that the show was ever really alive at all after about 2015.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 29th July 2021, 09:52 PM
Post #29
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Ans to be honest, what is funny about someone not being able to sing? We get it already! It's just one joke ten thousand times. It was all manipulated, all fake, even down to the judges reacting to empty stages and having pre-rehearsed lines, down to the producers' stortlines and media manipulation by Cowell. Pfft. Hard pass.

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 6th January 2022, 10:38 PM
Post #30
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

Honey G is currently on Celebrity Coach Trip! cheeseblock.png

(Paired up with Lateysha from Big Brother 2016)

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 25th April 2022, 06:59 PM
Post #31
Group icon

The tabloids are reporting (with a direct quote from Simon) That he is planning to bring back to America before it comes to the UK. Interesting.

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 26th June 2022, 06:49 AM
Post #32
Group icon

The tabloids are now reporting that Simon is reportedly in talks to sign a five year deal with the show, with it set to return next year.

+Quote this post
.MIKE.
post 26th June 2022, 06:56 AM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 2,808

A 5 year deal for something that won’t reach its previous successes would be crazy.
I feel like they need to pitch it to Netflix or something & make it all a bit different..

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 26th June 2022, 09:30 AM
Post #34
Group icon

Interesting to note that the sources haven’t actually mentioned whether the deal is with itv or not!

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 26th June 2022, 10:55 AM
Post #35
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

FIVE YEARS for this tired old Fix Factor claptrap?! Not to mention how the peoducers use people's poor economic conditions and mental health against them, like a modern day freakshow.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 26th June 2022, 10:57 AM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

I can't see this being successful at all unless they radically alter the format. The ppl who watch it for the good singers are bored of the tried and tested format and the other ppl who only watch for the bad auditions will be disappointed as they slowly phased out showing those anyway...

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 26th June 2022, 11:08 AM
Post #37
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

I can see nostalgia viewers if he manages to get Dannii & Cheryl back

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 9th July 2022, 08:03 PM
Post #38
Group icon

The Daily Star are reporting that Channel 5 have picked it up ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 9th July 2022, 10:10 PM
Post #39
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

You’d think it’d need a decent shake up format wise.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 10th July 2022, 09:25 AM
Post #40
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

X Factor back in the day was inescapable and absolutely huge I’d say the 2008-2010 era of the show it especially felt like it was easily the biggest thing on UK TV we’d see all the contestants in the press throughout the week and we’d all be discussing the events of last weekend , the guest artists, what the contestants were gonna sing the interest was huge.

It then went on the decline and by the end was a shadow of its former self. Because the charts are now run by streaming sites though it’s going to be harder to find acts who will become successful as an artist. Did the show in its original day find an act who had a hit who come from the show in 2014 onwards. Ella Henderson and James Arthur are probably the last two who you can say made an impression and are at least partly known to the GP.

C5 would just make the format seem cheap and tackier too. I think they could throw all the money at this and it won’t have any impact in producing a star other than it just being an entertainment show.

This post has been edited by Jord: 10th July 2022, 08:49 PM

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 09:44 AM