BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Estonia (Eesti Laul) · Eurovision Song Contest 2016, Jüri Pootsmann - Play
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Ryan.
post Sep 19 2015, 01:31 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 12,608

Estonia
Jüri Pootsmann - Play

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Sep 19 2015, 01:31 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Estonian public broadcaster ERR has announced the start of Eesti Laul 2016, the annual competition for the best new song in the country. The popular show will once again serve as the selection for Estonia's representative in the Eurovision Song Contest.

The final of Eesti Laul 2016 will take place on the 5th of March in Estonia’s capital city, Tallinn with ticket information for the final being released by the end of October. Singers and songwriters can submit their entries until November 2nd.

In 2015 Elina Born and Stig Rästa won Eesti Laul with Goodbye To Yesterday. They reached the seventh place in the Grand Final of the Eurovision Song Contest in Vienna.

Stig Rästa, who wrote and co-performed the song explained that the competition is very important for composers and artists: "It makes you view your work more critically", he stated. Rästa also believes that taking part in the competition can open many doors for both composers and artists. "I could not be happier to know that the song I wrote and performed in Eesti Laul and the Eurovision Song Contest is being played all over Europe. This would have been difficult to achieve without the competition."

Eurovision.tv

With Estonia being my joint-favourite Eurovision country along with Cyprus, and with 'Goodbye To Yesterday' sitting amongst my all-time favourite Eurovision entries, my interest in Eesti Laul is higher than ever before! This national final always provides some great songs and I can't wait to hear what is in store this year. I believe we should get a line-up of the semi-finalists in mid-November so not that long to go!

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Oct 14 2015, 03:45 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
The 20 semi-finalists will be revealed on November 5th, I wonder if the likes of Getter or Ines will finally return.

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post Nov 3 2015, 03:24 PM
Post #4
Group icon
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
User: 11,955
238 songs were submitted, a record!

Also, the location for Eesti Laul is moving to the Saku Suurhall arena, where Eurovision 2002 was held. It certainly seems Eurovision is growing in Estonia!

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Nov 3 2015, 04:37 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I think it's only a matter of time before Eesti Laul joins the likes of Melodifestivalen and Melodi Grand Prix at the top level of Eurovision selections, and deservedly so as the song quality is always fantastic!

That's the official promotional photo for Eesti Laul 2016, so many amazing entries! heart.gif

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post Nov 4 2015, 12:47 PM
Post #6
Group icon
That moustache is not working for Stig.

Tanja, Birgit, Elina, Sandra and Getter to form a super group pls.

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post Nov 5 2015, 06:29 PM
Post #7
Group icon
The 20 competing artists have been revealed.

1. Ei ole mul olla – Põhja-Tallinn (Jaanus Saks, Kristjan Soomre, Mark Eric Kammiste, Hannes Agur Vellend, Herlend-Kaspar Raudkivi)
2. Hispaania tüdruk – Indrek Ventmann (Allan Kasuk )
3. How Many Times – Zebra Island (Rasmus Lill, Helina Risti )
4. I’m Facing North – Würffel (Kaspar Kalluste, Rosanna Lints )
5. Immortality – Cartoon & Kristel Aaslaid (Ago Teppand, Hugo MartinMaasikas, Joosep Järvesaar, Kerli Kõiv, Iiris Vesik, Kristel Aaslaid )
6. Kaugel sinust – Kati Laev (Urmas Kõiv, Anneli Kõiv )
7. Lonely Boy – Kéa (Egert Milder, Robert Stanley Montes, Ian Karell )
8. Love a Little Bit – The Jingles (Jonathan Flack, Hain Hoppe, Rauno Vaher, Tanel Liiberg )
9. Meet Halfway – Púr Múdd (Oliver Rõõmus, Joonas Alvre )
10. Miljon korda – Gertu Pabbo (Priit Pajusaar, Maian-Anna Kärmas )
11. Parmupillihullus – Meisterjaan (Jaan Tätte Juunior )
12. Patience – I Wear* Experiment (Hando Jaksi, Mikk Simson, Johanna Eenmaa )
13. Play – Jüri Pootsmann (Fred Krieger, Stig Rästa)
14. Sally – Go Away Bird (Stanislav Bulganin)
15. Salty Wounds – Windy Beach (Priit Uustulnd, Tuuli Rand, Mari Tamm)
16. Seis – Mick Pedaja (Mick Pedaja)
17. Stories Untold – Grete Paia (Sven Lõhmus)
18. Strong – Anett Kulbin (Anett Kulbin)
19. Supersonic – Laura (Sven Lõhmus)
20. Unikaalne – La La Ladies (Tatjana Mihhailova, Mihkel Mattisen, Timo Vendt, Inga Tislar)

Don't recognise any artists, but Tanja and Stig have written a few entries alonsgide Sven Lõhmus who wrote Rändajad & Rockefeller Street. Also, Kerli Kõiv is BJSC darling and MF 2003 star Kerli.

I'm sure Ryan can fill in more as our Eesti expert cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Nov 5 2015, 09:01 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
This is an incredibly promising line-up with several talking points!

As you say we have Kerli co-writing an entry with Iiris and a few others, Kerli and Iiris being arguably Estonian's two biggest popstars in terms of the international music scene (apparently they aren't actually popular in Estonia, especially Iiris). Cartoon & Kristel's most recent single is very good, they are EDM so I look forward to hearing what 'Immortality' will sound like!

The immediate stand-outs in terms of performers are Laura and Grete Paia who have both reached the superfinals before (I believe) but failed to win. I think Laura was also a member of Suntribe in 2005 too. Sven had a surprisingly quiet year last year, but hopefully he's back with a bang this year! Interesting to see Grete singing in English presumably too with her last entry being in Estonian (she lost out to Birgit).

And as Adam says, we have more Estonian superstars in the writing credits of songs with the likes of Stig and Tanja. And I've also heard exciting things about Würffel so I'm interested to hear that entry too. Apparently Elisa Kolk and Luisa Vark were amongst the entries rejected by the selection jury, Elisa's 'Superlove' was a really nice song last year so I wonder what she entered this time around. Also one of the people in charge of the selection said that they had 40 entries of very good quality and could expand to more semi-finals next year, it really could become as big as Melodifestivalen!

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post Nov 6 2015, 02:06 PM
Post #9
Group icon
The first song is out there to listen to ;o

Great song, quite un-Eurovision but it feels very scandi and something that you'd hear in BJSC nowadays. I suppose the success of 'Rhythm Inside' and 'Love Injected' this year will have inspired more 'indie' artists to consider Eurovision.

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Dec 7 2015, 10:12 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
With the news that all of them will be made available within 2 weeks on the official Eesti Laul website, many entries are now being revealed - and today one of the initial favourites, Laura, was premiered!

Liking it a lot on first listen, and I can tell there is growing room. Big pop production with hints of drum and bass in places, and there is a key change! This will probably get a lot of public support, we shall wait and see if the juries will support it!

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Dec 9 2015, 06:48 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
The other big name entry is now out there, another good song although it's not as good as Laura's for me just yet. However this is only in radio rip quality, so the HQ version may change things!

I'm not sure if either are Eesti Laul winners, but should both be in contention.

EDIT: Replaced with HQ!

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Dec 11 2015, 09:09 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Possibly the ultimate favourite has premiered today with the acoustic version of 'Play' by Jüri Pootsmann being uploaded to Facebook. It's written by Stig, and it's quite George Ezra!

Sounding quite nice and I can see its appeal, especially after the support to Elina & Stig's classy guitar-influenced song last year. I believe Jüri won or at least did well in Estonian Idol recently, so is very popular - although we thought that about Karl-Erik Taukar last year until he dropped out in the heats!

Listen here!

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Dec 14 2015, 12:14 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I think pretty much all the songs are out now, and Juri seems to be the front-runner with Laura and Grete close behind (if we are to believe the fan forums). I much much much prefer the studio version of Juri's song compared to the live acoustic:

I could see that doing very well in Stockholm! Stig has produced another stormer of a tune heart.gif

+Quote this post
LexC
post Dec 14 2015, 02:04 AM
Post #14
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342
Of all the favourites Juri and Laura are the best and I can see one of them beating the inevitable random 'Super Hot Cosmos Jazz Blues Band' style entry that usually gets in the top 3 in Eesti Laul.

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Feb 10 2016, 07:12 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Cartoon will be using a virtual character on stage on Saturday! ohmy.gif

https://www.facebook.com/cartoondband/video...49127678685914/

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Mar 5 2016, 12:01 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
TONIGHT'S NATIONAL FINAL...

ESTONIA
Eesti Laul

5th March 2016
Begins at 5.30pm in the UK, 6.30pm in Central Europe and 7.30pm in Estonia
The first part of the show is scheduled to last 1 hour 30 minutes then, following a 35 minute break for other programmes, the second part of the show will last 1 hour

Watch the selection on Eurovision.tv or via the official ETV webcast

Running Order
Click ♫ to listen to each song!

01 | Laura - Supersonic
02 | Go Away Bird - Sally
03 | Mick Pedaja - Seis
04 | Grete Paia - Stories Untold
05 | Kéa - Lonely Boy
06 | Jüri Pootsmann - Play
07 | Kati Laev & Noorkuu - Kaugel sinust
08 | Cartoon feat. Kristel Aaslaid - Immortality
09 | Meisterjaan - Parmupillihullus
10 | I Wear* Experiment - Patience

Voting
The voting will consist of two rounds. In the first round of voting, the top three entries will be chosen by a combination of 50% jury voting and 50% televoting. These three entries will then progress to the superfinal, where the winner will be chosen by 100% televoting.

Potential Winners?
According to the bookmakers, Jüri Pootsmann is a strong favourite with odds of 9/10. His closest challengers are expected to be Cartoon feat. Kristel Aaslaid and Laura whose Unibet odds sit at 7/4 and 13/4 respectively. We also shouldn't rule out Grete Paia and I Wear* Experiment who are a bit further behind on odds of 8/1 each. The other 5 entries are significantly further behind in the betting although sixth favourite Mick Pedaja did get a lot of fan appreciation following his semi-final performance, so keep an eye on him too.

Guest Performances
During the show, there will be a guest performance by Finnish singer Isac Elliot as well as a performance by 1996 Estonian representatives Maarja-Liis Ilus & Ivo Linna, who will celebrate the 20th anniversary of their participation in the contest by performing their entry 'Kaelakee hääl'. Fan forums have also suggested a performance by 2015 Estonian representatives Elina Born & Stig Rästa so we shall have to wait and see if they give us a surprise performance!

Further details available at ESC Today

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Mar 5 2016, 05:31 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
It's time! I'm a fan of all the favourites pretty equally really, if I was given the choice I'd probably go with Laura but we shall see what happens. I think Jüri will get it unless Cartoon get to the superfinal as they could win it from that point.

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Mar 5 2016, 05:51 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
A really fantastic stage, and despite going into an arena for the first time it is still jam-packed! I think Estonia have confirmed their place at the top level of NFs with the Nordics/Scandis!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Mar 5 2016, 05:55 PM
Post #19
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
QUOTE(Ryan. @ Mar 5 2016, 05:51 PM) *
I think Estonia have confirmed their place at the top level of NFs with the Nordics/Scandis!

cannot into Nordic etc

Keep on trying to convince us over Ryan. Still looks as folksy as I'd expect from Estonia.

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Mar 5 2016, 08:06 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
The three superfinalists are Laura, Jüri Pootsmann and Cartoon feat. Kristel Aaslaid!

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:24 PM