BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Chez EOY 2022, Identified, complete!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Chez Wombat
post 24th December 2022, 06:21 PM
Post #1
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

A little late to the party this year, but here we are again, counting down my best musical moments of the year as per the tradition of the last 11 (!) years on here. This will take place over the next week, I will do my top 10 TV shows and films and then my top 40 singles. Having actually kept a semi-regular personal chart, this has actually been easier to compile this year and I haven't felt as out of touch as past years if still quite out of touch

Starting later tonight if I can remember, Boxing Day if not x
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 24th December 2022, 06:32 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

Intrigued to see what pops up here happy.gif

+Quote this post
uhsting
post 25th December 2022, 12:45 AM
Post #3
Group icon
I feel it COMING!
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

Autopsy number 1 pleaseeee????

Where will BLACK BOX FAKE FACT end up?? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

EDIT: Actually let's get BLACK BOX FAKE FACT number 1!!

This post has been edited by uhsting: 25th December 2022, 12:45 AM

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 25th December 2022, 04:48 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

This should be interesting! I'm currently doing my Year-End list for the year as well.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 26th December 2022, 06:56 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Excited to see what will appear here!

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 26th December 2022, 10:44 PM
Post #6
Group icon

Great cheer.gif Let's go

I will start with my top 10 TV shows

Special mention to Guillermo Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities (neat idea and some good stories peppered in, but a little bit hit and miss overall) and The Rings of Power, which I really wanted to smite the bigoted fanboys, but there was some genuine problems with character and pacing which led it to be a real slog where you just don't feel that invested. It did look incredible and has real potential, so I will stick with it, but it has a long way to go before it reaches Tolkien level x

10; Archive 81

A great horror-mystery type show based on a podcast in which a man is hired by a mysterious company to restore some tapes done by a grad student in the 1990s before realising that there's some sinister secrets that he's uncovering which all goes a bit timey-wimey. It's a slow burner, but the tension and uncertainty brought on by the isolation of the two leads is really effective and the gradual reveal leads to a real mindbender of a finale in which we have a big cliffhanger for the next seas....oh wait, this is Netflix so ofc. it's canceled after one season :/ Sadly, it will always feel like a show that was always just getting going, but it works well enough as a standalone if you ignore the cliffhanger.

09; Bee and Puppycat

One of the most quirky and enjoyable animations I've seen in a long time, focusing on a happy-go-lucky girl called Bee and a strange dog-cat hybrid (voiced entirely by a vocaloid programme) and the escapades they get up to looking for temp jobs in this diverse and colourful galaxy. There's a lot of weird stuff in here and it feels a bit like an anime at times, and it keeps a suitably deadpan style and random progression that makes it all the more enjoyable for those willing to just embrace the madness. It never forgets to make you really care for its characters though and despite the other-worldly setting, has some seriously saddening human drama explored. Originally a kickstarter cult animation show, it has been picked up and expanded on by Netflix this year, I would recommend hunting down the original YouTube series as the Netflix retelling condenses it too much before moving onto the Lazy in Space second era, whatever you chose though, you won't regret it x

08; Inside No. 9

Another great series of the continually excellent anthology series. Pemberton and Shearsmith just have a natural knack for the macabre and twists and they continued that this year whether it was really dark like the story of child abuse or a dead spouse or an author talking to their characters and a teacher stumbling across a Wicker Man-like scenario, it's refreshing that they are still having great ideas and the series is finally getting recognised by award shows, can't wait for more x

07; Yellowjackets

A female version of Lord of the Flies combined with the ghostly atmosphere and flashback and flashforward structure of Lost, what's not to like? This is a really gripping thriller of a female sports team stranded on an island and their fight to survive, juxtaposing with modern-day scenes of what happened when they (or some of them at least) are women having grown up with this experience. There are a hell of a lot of secrets and lies exposed in both time periods, and both teenage and adult actors (particularly the brilliantly psychotic Misty giving full Misery vibes) are really good. We've clearly only scratched the surface so far so I'm hyped to see what's next.

06; The Sandman

I love pretty much anything Neil Gaiman related so this adaptation of his 80s story of the lord of dreams was always gonna be up my alley. I'm a little out of loop with the comic in general, but the show is pretty accessible and gives the gist well. Focusing on the gruff-voiced Morpheus, it essentially focuses on two stories, the first being his imprisonment by a greedy aristocrat (played naturally by Charles Dance), leading him to go searching for his artifacts across the realms, and the second half him finding a cause of disturbance in the dream world and the human world by a vortex (a young girl, Rose, in this case). It's also a show of two halves as honestly the first half is brilliant - you have scenes of battles in hell, an incredibly creepy bottle episode in which the dark side of many characters in a cafe are revealed gradually and a heartwarming episode where Morpheus meets death who reminds him of the importance of human connection...but then the second half is less good, the humans aren't particularly great actors but it just turns into a bit of a CW-esque mystery for my liking. Still, it was largely a very entertaining show and at its peak was excellent so I would still recommend and look forward to the next series.

05; The Boys

The Boys, now in its third season, is one of the best satirical shows on TV. It's weird coming from a capitalist icon like Amazon, but the creator has really nailed down the state of society and what would happen if superheroes were actually real, cos they sure as hell would just be self-serving egotists who are just used for money and celebrity. Both the left and right are effectively skewed in this which isn't easy to do, especially as the show isn't typically political. There were some truly horrifying scenes in this one (let's just say you might feel your privates go funny looking at one scene x) But it is also carried by the continual character development, Homelander continues to be truly terrifying to watch, yet incredibly engaging to the point you almost see a human there and he remains one of the main draws of the show. Billy, Hughie and the rest of the crew are also still highly watchable. If I have any complaints it's that it does seem like things aren't hugely different from how they were at the beginning of the season, but there's always scope for more.

04; House of the Dragon

The easy winner of the fantasy show dramas and a really gripping tale which revitalised Game of Thrones and returned it to the cultural conversation after the letdown of Season 8, which is no mean feat given how angry people were about that! In some ways, it was better than the original series in the sense it updated some of the more dated elements (gratuitous nudity, overly focused on female abuse) and made political masterminding seem exciting again with the added budget for some very cool dragon scenes. Remains to be seen if it can keep up this excellent starting momentum, but overall, this went a hell of a lot better than I ever expected it to.

03; Stranger Things

While I have always enjoyed this show and it has featured here many times, I do feel this time it really hit its stride this season. It felt a lot darker, higher stakes and finally going for a more complex and threatening villain as well as expanding the world of the upside down. There are some truly brilliant character moments as well, Max's facing of her demons and Kate Bush-aided survival is surely one of the best moments of the year and I'm glad it crossed over into the cultural conversation in some unexpected ways. My complaint would be that they wimped out with killing off main characters and played it too safe in the finale, but given we have one dramatic last season to come, I can hope they can fix this.

02; The Devil's Hour

A truly excellent, underrated find and one I would highly recommend if you don't already know it. This starts off as a mystery/police procedural type drama of a single mother with a slightly sinister and strangely blank younger son who are entangled into a series of murders by a similarly mysterious criminal played by the always brilliant Peter Capaldi, before things start to take a bit more of a supernatural turn and without spoiling, begins to not be as it first appears. The performances in this from the main cast were stunning, I know Capaldi can act but Jessica Raine is a real discovery and is so convincing. The mystery gradually unfolds and gets deeper and deeper until you really are questioning what you see and even after the reveal, you're still left wanting more. There is apparently going to be another season, which I'm thrilled about and would highly recommend to anyone that doesn't know it!

01; Severance

Nothing was going to beat this though, one of the most gripping, complex and profound shows of the year. Taking place in a dystopic yet recognisable society in which people have the opportunity to be severed from their work selves and home selves, with both sides having no memory of what the other is feeling and so work can be prioritised. It's a great concept and one that is taken full advantage of by the small cast of characters who begin to question their lives in the workplace and wonder along with the audience what is on the outside and how did they get here, while the truly Orwellian means of the company begins to be gradually revealed over the episodes. Incredibly acted, paced, built up and concluded, this convinced me to keep my Apple TV subscription and I cannot wait to see more of it.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 28th December 2022, 02:16 PM
Post #7
Group icon

Next, I will do my top 10 movies, special mention to X, The Menu & Men that were fun, interesting horror movies that didn't quite entirely meet the mark like some others on this list.

10. CODA

So it's no secret that the Oscars have become a bit of a joke and I actually didn't include many here, not because there weren't some genuinely good films in the mix, but they just didn't stick in my mind and feel like an afterthought next to the spectacle. I do have a soft spot for the winner though, it's a predictable yet very uplifting story about a girl caught between pursuing dreams of being a musician and helping her deaf family. It's really sold by the strength of the performances here, Emilia Jones (grown-up Alice from Utopia!) and the deaf actors all give excellent performances and it doesn't feel too pandering and presents them like people and not purely people to be pitied like many Hollywood films, an uplifting watch.

9. Bodies, Bodies, Bodies
I enjoyed many a quiet screening watching small-scale horror films in my local independent cinema and this one (where it was just me in the theatre!) was a real treat because it really did stand out from many other similar teen slasher films. It focuses on the familiar scenario of a party mafia-style game turned home invasion and fight for their lives, although there's a neat twist (which I can't really not talk about so) that reveals that there never was a killer after all and they all died by their own paranoia and stupidity, which feels very refreshing, this makes it worth watching. Shoutout to the characters, none of which are portrayed sympathetically at all and really serve to emphasise how strong that twist is.

8. Turning Red
Disney is so rarely good these days, even their animated films are losing quality, so thankfully this proves they do still have it in them. This caused quite a ruckus online due to that weird reviewer that thought they didn't focus enough on 9/11 (because Asian-Canadian set films simply MUST follow American culture in every way) and the general daring to focus on female puberty and teenage girls being teenage girls which pissed off all the right people so made this even better. I really admire this film's honesty and tenacity, it felt genuine and documented an underrepresented group of people, it was also very funny with it's panda antics and though it possibly dragged it's heels a bit at points, it's worth it for the climax.

7. The Northman
Robert Eggers of The Witch and The Lighthouse fame finally got the big-time budget to create his movie and it was mainly great to see. It definitely felt a lot more mainstream and missing the complex symbolism of the last two features, but it was still great to see a film as big and powerful as this on the main screen. Focusing on the Norse legend of Amleth (which inspired Hamlet), it is a brutal and unflinching tale of revenge with stunning scenery to match. It sadly failed to make a light at the box office which makes his filming future uncertain sad.gif Another blow for new and daring films in the mainstream, sigh x

6. RRR
I don't usually take much interest in Bollywood due to the sheer size and magnitude of films, but this getting a big response worldwide led me to check it out when I was ill with Covid and had a lot of time on my hands, and 3 hours is certainly quite the time! It's loosely based on two real-life revolutionaries in India during the British Raj and imagines them meeting before they go on to fight for their country, it's pure fiction of course, and some of the action scenes, dialogue, and stunts are utterly ridiculous but it's so grand and epically entertaining you won't even care, fitting in some classic Bollywood dance scenes, it's a fun, exasperating movie to watch to suit any tastes.

5. Smile
Hands down the scariest movie I've seen this year, I don't normally like jump scares and they feel very cheap but these were very well done and that horrific smile has been etched into my brain for a long time. Dealing with a doctor who sees a hysterical patient commit suicide in front of her eyes while smiling who then goes on to deal with some terrifying hallucinations that seem inescapable, the film is another in the line of using real-life horrors (in this case, trauma or seeing death) to really unpack how terrifying it can be. I can't say it's that original (it owes a lot to Drag Me to Hell and It Follows), but in terms of setup and impact of scares, you're not gonna get much better.

Good luck sleeping xo

4. Nope
Logan Paul hasn't got a clue x Jordan Peele's third cinematic outing is possibly his most complex to date, I must confess it took a lot of reading and thinking about the film once I'd seen it to fully make sense of it, but now I feel I see it in a whole new light. Dealing with two siblings who see an alien presence and attempt to catch it on film, the film is so much more than meets the eye and the dual narrative involving a particularly nasty monkey serves to give some great talking points on the nature of spectacle and how we react to this force, and Peele leans Spielbergian with the monster and horror movie tendencies that bring to mind Jaws and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. It's difficult to talk about this film without getting into spoilers so I won't and simply encourage you to view, it's one of the most surprising and thought-provoking movies I've seen all year.

3. Barbarian
Much like above, a difficult movie to talk about without spoilers but it's another one of the most creative and surprising horror movies I've seen all year. The surface narrative is that a girl turns up to an AirBnB location to find it's already occupied by a slightly creepy bloke who had a clash of bookings, she begins to discover the house has more to it than meets the eye...if that sounds generic, it really isn't. There's a complete switch up midway through the film which reframes everything we've just seen and it's wonderfully unexpected and becomes not the most scariest, but the most profound, thrilling and quite sad horror films I've seen this year.

2. Guillermo Del Toro’s Pinocchio
I only saw this a few weeks ago so I'm possibly being a bit biased here, but in a year with two utterly awful adaptations of Pinocchio (one hilariously so, the other depressingly so), it's so nice to see an excellent one. It does what any good adaptation should do and expands and reinterprets the story while staying true to the main ideas within it, reimagined this time in Nazi-occupied Italy in the 1930s and the fantasy escapism, it has a lot of familiar echoes of Guillermo's past work like Pan's Labyrinth, it develops and redefines familiar characters and has some much darker and mature themes about death. The stop motion animation is uniquely beautiful, all of which adds up to one of his best films in years, check it out x

1. Everything Everywhere All at Once
No contest here, I was certain when I first saw it that this would be a film that would be hard to top. It's so excellent to see such a universally loved film in these divisive, culture war times and from a small scale independent filmmaker as well contending with all this. I've said all of my praise in the thread so I'd be repeating myself but I would really recommend this for anyone for not only one of the most thrilling, hilarious, bizarre and affectionate stories of the year, but one with a universally human message told in the most unique way possible, it never forgets its characters despite how weird it gets, even talking rocks and hot dog fingers can feel emotional. It truly feels like an original film and an actual good way of using multiverses to tell a convincing story. There has been no other film that has even come close to this in my mind, next year has a lot to beat!

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 28th December 2022, 02:24 PM
Post #8
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

That last episode of Severance was insanely captivating. It was a slow burn to begin with but things massively ramped up, didn't they!? Can't wait for a season two now.

It's nice to see Turning Red so high on your movies list too. I've seen a lot of usual Pixar film fans beat down on it a bit but I think it's one of the bravest movies they've ever made. The screenplay is so assuredly mature despite tackling some more grown-up topics and educates in such a way that still manages to make the message universal. And it was still hilarious, cute, gorgeously animated etc. I was just so impressed by it.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 29th December 2022, 06:51 PM
Post #9
Group icon

QUOTE(Josh! @ Dec 28 2022, 02:24 PM) *
That last episode of Severance was insanely captivating. It was a slow burn to begin with but things massively ramped up, didn't they!? Can't wait for a season two now.

It's nice to see Turning Red so high on your movies list too. I've seen a lot of usual Pixar film fans beat down on it a bit but I think it's one of the bravest movies they've ever made. The screenplay is so assuredly mature despite tackling some more grown-up topics and educates in such a way that still manages to make the message universal. And it was still hilarious, cute, gorgeously animated etc. I was just so impressed by it.

It was a masterclass in suspense, S1 really did everything right, gonna be a long wait until the S2 premiere. Glad you liked Turning Red too, I was a bit confused about the divisive response to that, it was a world ahead of the other Disney movies this year.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 29th December 2022, 07:10 PM
Post #10
Group icon

Top 40 Singles

Honourable mentions: I may have missed a few songs in this hastily compiled list, I'll update here if any come to mind kink.gif

36. Harry Styles – As It Was
37. Father John Misty – Q4
38. Milk & Bone – Bigger Love
39. Kasabian - ALYGTR
40. Let’s Eat Grandma – Happy New Year

A familiar one to start with - Harry Styles dominated the year and while I'm not sure he's quite convinced the film industry of his star power, his music has generally been a pretty cool 70s/80s glam pop throwback, and the A-ha vibes of his huge lead single are the best of them, I guess it benefits that I don't listen to commercial radio so I didn't get a chance to get sick of it, but it still sounds really great with it's fresh synths and catchy chorus, one of my favourite UK number 1s in quite a few years.

The rest of these are just a tad more obscure - Kasabian proved that Tom wasn't all Kasabian were as they came back with a pretty cool post-punk kind of sound with a crazy, distorted production and structure that made them sound fresher than ever coming up to 20 years since they first debuted. Father John Misty has got lots of acclaim in the past, but I've never checked him out much, but Q4 was a really beautiful ballad with some great sultry vocals. It was a great soundtrack to those early winter days.

Finally, two BJSC-adjacent tracks that I don't quite associate with the contest for growing on me before and after the contest. I was surprised to see Milk and Bone pop up on my recommended this year as it has been a good few years since I'd last thought about them, sending them to the contest in 2015. Bigger Love I think I like even more though, it's got a great melody where they both sound on top of their game vocally and this builds up to some brilliant harmonies in the chorus. Let's Eat Grandma are a similar female duo I've really enjoyed becoming more familiar with in the last few years, Hall of Mirrors made my top 20 last year and this lively, synth-drenched track started the year a good way and has stuck with me as we go into the new one again. Still need to check out their album but I've been terrible with them this year as shown by the fact I'm not even doing a list this year x

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 29th December 2022, 08:00 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Happy New Year was a nice song! Still get it in my head every now and again. Giving Bigger Love a listen now, they sound a bit like Let's Eat Grandma to be fair!

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 29th December 2022, 08:59 PM
Post #12
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun
User: 38,591

Great start to the countdown - Happy New Year and Q4 are both songs I enjoyed early this year. As It Was is one of my 40 most played of the year, so despite its ubiquity that position feels about right for me too.

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 30th December 2022, 11:38 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Hi there Chez!
I've took on a mission next year, to watch lots of movies & TV shows to have a life laugh.gif
Joking aside, out of all of the songs, I like "As It Was".
Nice lists so far, can't wait for the rest.

+Quote this post
JSG
post 30th December 2022, 10:21 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473

Hello!

Smile was a spectacular movie so I'm glad to see it show up for you. Definitely one for anyone to watch that likes horror movies and it was pretty different to anything that's been out at cinemas for the last decade or so.

It's good to see As It Was make an appearance. I'm not Harry's biggest fan really but this was a very decent comeback for him and just cemented him into the public consciousness even more!

happy.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 30th December 2022, 10:49 PM
Post #15
Group icon

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Dec 29 2022, 08:00 PM) *
Happy New Year was a nice song! Still get it in my head every now and again. Giving Bigger Love a listen now, they sound a bit like Let's Eat Grandma to be fair!

Were you not in the BJSC contest for Bigger Love? Thanks for listening anyway and yes, I never noticed that!

QUOTE(jimwatts @ Dec 29 2022, 08:59 PM) *
Great start to the countdown - Happy New Year and Q4 are both songs I enjoyed early this year. As It Was is one of my 40 most played of the year, so despite its ubiquity that position feels about right for me too.

Thanks Jim, would love to see your favourites of the year if you choose to do so!

Hi there Chez!
I've took on a mission next year, to watch lots of movies & TV shows to have a life laugh.gif
Joking aside, out of all of the songs, I like "As It Was".
Nice lists so far, can't wait for the rest.
Ooh get a Netflix or Prime account (or Disney+ if you can stomach giving them more money xx) and you'll never look back kink.gif

QUOTE(JSG @ Dec 30 2022, 10:21 PM) *

Hello!

Smile was a spectacular movie so I'm glad to see it show up for you. Definitely one for anyone to watch that likes horror movies and it was pretty different to anything that's been out at cinemas for the last decade or so.

It's good to see As It Was make an appearance. I'm not Harry's biggest fan really but this was a very decent comeback for him and just cemented him into the public consciousness even more!

happy.gif

Pleased you liked Smile, James, I appreciated the mental health and trauma angle it took with it's scares, made it quite meaningful as well as terrifying.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 30th December 2022, 11:18 PM
Post #16
Group icon

31. Joywave – The Inversion
32. Black Country, New Road – The Place Where He Inserted the Blade
33. Para One – La Musique du Futur Mon/Ton Coeur
34. Emancipator – Minor Cause
35. Working Men’s Club – Widow

So one of these, Para One actually is two songs that form part of the soundtrack to the beautiful French film, Petite Maman which I saw earlier in the year. They are both very short at just over two minutes each and translate to My Heart and Your Heart, which play at different points of the film to emphasise the love the two leads - a mother and daughter, but not necessarily as they appear, no spoilers - have towards each other. But you don't need to know the context to appreciate the beauty of the songs - with a shimmering choir and orchestral elements mixed with fiery synths, they are a cosy and beautiful little wall of sound that fit the sweetness of the original film so well. Sadly, the only combined version is my one on Soundcloud (which remarkably they haven't taken down yet x), but do give it a listen as if there's one song I'd want those reading to take away from the thread, it's this one (and I'm too scared to send it to BJSC with how much DNQs I've had there recently kink.gif)

Anyway, there are some better-known songs here. It's quite an indie-heavy section - Joywave was a runner-on from last year I heard right at the start and is a really epic, dark-sounding song with a powerful chorus, it's the strongest I've heard them sing. I'd never heard anything from Working Men's Club before but did manage to catch this on morning 6Music and I rather loved it, quite Depeche Mode and New Order-esque in style and with a distinct darkwave sound that sounds straight out of the 80sis always up my street. Black Country, New Road had the one album I did successfully get round to listening to (watch this space in 2023 when I finally get round to all the critically acclaimed albums from this year!) and it was a worthwhile listen, this darkly titled track is very eclectic and jumps around in tempo, instrumentation, and style a lot in its seven-minute runtime, yet still keeping that melancholy feel, which does suit the feel of the album given the unfortunate departure of the lead vocalist it adds a darker subtext to the song to an already morose song.

Finally, I've admittedly not been quite as into BJSC keepers outside the contest, not that there hasn't been some great discoveries over the year, it may be time constraints or me just not quite engaging with it fully anymore, but there's still room for great discoveries and Emancipator takes the role as the highest I solely associate with BJSC. It's a great case study in how a song can use just music and vocal effects to paint an effective emotional story, it's like it's soundtracking the memory you've always had even if you've never heard it before. It's trip-hop and classical hybrid creates a dreamy feel is quite magical that has really made it stick with me over the year.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 31st December 2022, 01:16 AM
Post #17
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

hi.gif heart.gif

I've only watched one film from your top 10 list (what can I say, music is my one true all-consuming love as much as I am trying to expand my time with other types of media x) but, as you already know, that happens to be right at the top of your list so a rather great one to have seen *.* it feels a bit premature to say now but I think Everything Everywhere All At Once could easily propel into one of my all-time favourites. It really affected me in the best possible way <3

I've only seen one out of the ten TV shows too and I'm, shock horror, still only part-way through kink.gif but Bee and PuppyCat is adorable and I very quickly learned to embrace the madness as you say. It's a comfort show for me at the moment despite the sadder moments. From the rest of your list I definitely want to get into Stranger Things the most at some point!

As for the music... you could say that it's off to a very strong start so far when one of my personal chart top 2s was 'Widow' and 'The Place Where He Inserted the Blade' next to each other cheeseblock.png

'Widow' stayed at the top long enough to warrant the creation of this meme...

kink.gif that dark, 80s goth/alt-dance synth sound is of course right up my street too and the accompanying album doesn't disappoint either! I only checked out the latest Black Country, New Road album this week (in a mission to catch up with the 5 albums I'd wanted to check out but hadn't got around to yet just in time for EOY season) - easy to see why it's been so acclaimed. 'The Place Where He Inserted the Blade' is still my top standout, it's such a devastating song.

Elsewhere I also liked 'Happy New Year' (iconic band name + dripping with synths), 'Bigger Love' (think that snuck into my semi votes), 'As It Was' (a-ha also a very good 80s template) and 'Minor Cause' (that has popped up in a couple of EOYs I've noticed!)

I checked out the songs I wasn't familiar with and the Para One piece was my favourite, what a beauty <3 and a good one to have listened to close to bed-time. The Father John Misty song was sounding good too, I was only previously familiar with 'The Next 20th Century' from this era which I recall being hard-hitting.

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 31st December 2022, 10:57 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Nice to see "Widow" on here, I can thank Jade for this getting to me.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 2nd January 2023, 04:23 PM
Post #19
Group icon

QUOTE(Jade @ Dec 31 2022, 01:16 AM) *
hi.gif heart.gif

I've only watched one film from your top 10 list (what can I say, music is my one true all-consuming love as much as I am trying to expand my time with other types of media x) but, as you already know, that happens to be right at the top of your list so a rather great one to have seen *.* it feels a bit premature to say now but I think Everything Everywhere All At Once could easily propel into one of my all-time favourites. It really affected me in the best possible way <3

I've only seen one out of the ten TV shows too and I'm, shock horror, still only part-way through kink.gif but Bee and PuppyCat is adorable and I very quickly learned to embrace the madness as you say. It's a comfort show for me at the moment despite the sadder moments. From the rest of your list I definitely want to get into Stranger Things the most at some point!

As for the music... you could say that it's off to a very strong start so far when one of my personal chart top 2s was 'Widow' and 'The Place Where He Inserted the Blade' next to each other cheeseblock.png

'Widow' stayed at the top long enough to warrant the creation of this meme...

kink.gif that dark, 80s goth/alt-dance synth sound is of course right up my street too and the accompanying album doesn't disappoint either! I only checked out the latest Black Country, New Road album this week (in a mission to catch up with the 5 albums I'd wanted to check out but hadn't got around to yet just in time for EOY season) - easy to see why it's been so acclaimed. 'The Place Where He Inserted the Blade' is still my top standout, it's such a devastating song.

Elsewhere I also liked 'Happy New Year' (iconic band name + dripping with synths), 'Bigger Love' (think that snuck into my semi votes), 'As It Was' (a-ha also a very good 80s template) and 'Minor Cause' (that has popped up in a couple of EOYs I've noticed!)

I checked out the songs I wasn't familiar with and the Para One piece was my favourite, what a beauty <3 and a good one to have listened to close to bed-time. The Father John Misty song was sounding good too, I was only previously familiar with 'The Next 20th Century' from this era which I recall being hard-hitting.

Thank you for the highly detailed comment! <3 It's great that you enjoyed Bee and Puppycat and Everything... as much as I did, I hope the latter has some good chance for some recognition in the upcoming award season.

laugh.gif that meme represents me with new music in general tbh and sticking to older stuff x I did notice how long a chart run it had in your charts, very deserved (I do actually check your charts sometimes to help me with what new music is worth it so credit to you x)

Thanks for listening to Para One wub.gif if you want to check out more films and have a Prime account, I'd recommend Petite Maman, the film it's from, beautiful <3

QUOTE(Sergej @ Dec 31 2022, 10:57 AM) *
Nice to see "Widow" on here, I can thank Jade for this getting to me.

cheeseblock.png Jade getting payola from Working Mens Club? thinking.gif

Next two sections coming next!

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 2nd January 2023, 04:53 PM
Post #20
Group icon

26. Lykke Li – HIGHWAY TO YOUR HEART
27. Eliza Rose – B.O.T.A (Baddest of Them All)
28. Sung – Cosmic Road
29. NoSo – Man Who Loves You
30. Grimes – Shinigami Eyes

Starting off the top 30, we have this rather insanely catchy number from Grimes that I found I got into much more than her other stuff I heard this era, and probably my favourite since We Appreciate Power. Her general pretentiousness has kinda put me off her properly, but I can't deny she has some pretty great tunes when she's at her best. Another indie darling, Lykke Li, returned this year and since getting into her hits quite late, I was quite anticipating hearing new stuff from her. She definitely seemed to be going for a chill vibe this time and while NO HOTEL didn't grab me as much, HIGHWAY TO YOUR HEART (she's in a shouty mood x) has a really atmospheric vibe to it and lush instrumentation and build that is captivating and ensnares you more on each listen.

Two more BJSC associated tracks, one of which most of you will probably know very well. I feel very bad I didn't point this at the time, it's really crept up on me since. Not often there's a genuinely inspired dance number 1, but Eliza Rose really captured that late 90s vibey sound to masterful effect, it really sounds like a classic hit yet so contemporary at the same time. Honestly, this year did actually give me faith in Tik Tok with some of their choices, still a way to go (and y'know it's still a terrible platform for other reasons x) but with this Harry and Kate Bush this year, I'm thankful there's still some hope for the UK number 1s. Another BJSC song that should've done better (although to a larger extent this time) is one of my many underperformers this year by Sung, I have been a bit over inundated with the 80s synthwave sound over the years, but this one really works in it's gorgeous production, crisp clear synths and simple yet epic drop, I've replayed that so many times as it gives me such a buzz. Stuff you, BJSC x

Finally, one I found on Apple Music Indie playlists while out walking that I've not seen any mention of on the interwebs and I'm sad about this. NoSo is LA-based guitarist, Baek Hwong, and Man Who Loves You is a really emotional indie-pop number that has some beautiful instrumentation and some excellent vocals and quite personal, contemplative lyrics about a past love. Would highly recommend if you're looking for some androgynous, heartfelt indie-pop x

+Quote this post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 11:27 PM